recruiting: Pathfinder Skulls and shackles AP second/third table LF2m

Started by Tamhansen, March 14, 2016, 06:47:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamhansen

As the first table filled up with an awesome party in no time, I'm looking to start a second table doing the skull and shackles campaign Rules will be the same, (see below) except I've loosened the race restrictions.

Character creation would be very standard
20 point build level 1
No 3pp
Max HP at level 1, then max hp at every level up.
Races: Core and any other Paizo race up to 15 points. (Exceptions can be granted with a good backstory or generous bribery :P)
2 traits, one of which must be a campaign trait. (players guide for the campaign is a free download if you need).  Third trait can be bought with a drawback.
Starting gold is max for your class. (so 300 for fighters, 240 for rogues etc)

Looking for 5 to 6 frequent posters.
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

freeko

Something tells me I want to get in on this one too with a different concept.

Grizzly

We few, we happy few, we band of writers;
For they this day that share words with me
Shall be my fellow; be they ne'er so vile,

Phaia

Question:
Could I take a trait from a different campaign? I was looking at the wayfinder item as a trait?
It would seem very useful for a sea campaign.

Phaia

Tamhansen

Wow, that would be a big advantage. Let me think on that for a bit. Not saying no, but needs an impact analysis
ons and offs

freeko

Heh, could end up with a compass that doesn't point north similarly to how Jack Sparrow's compass points toward what he desires most. It would certainly make sense given the setting.

Phaia

Quote from: Tamhansen on March 14, 2016, 12:43:26 PM
Wow, that would be a big advantage. Let me think on that for a bit. Not saying no, but needs an impact analysis

It is fine if the answer is no. The character concept is in on way wedded to the item. also are you allowing a trait that gives extra gp? several can give ya up to 900gp extra to start. I am looking at options and have already figured out at least 2 traits for my character.

She is going to be a 'witch' [she's a witch a witch...she turned me into a newt], a sexy witch, an escaped slave. I am working on aspects of her.

Phaia

Phaia

Quote from: freeko on March 14, 2016, 12:51:42 PM
Heh, could end up with a compass that doesn't point north similarly to how Jack Sparrow's compass points toward what he desires most. It would certainly make sense given the setting.

that might be a lot of fun just not sure how that would work unless it is a hidden ability of the wayfinder when an ion is placed in it. ["damn thing has not worked right since I put the Ion in it" *shake shake*]
The wayfinder can get out of hand with added ion stones and yes with 25gp I can add a burned out grey ion stone. That would give read magic 1/day for 10 minutes, which means one less cantrip needed to carry. well two since the wayfinder can summon a light spell.

Phaia

Tamhansen

I really like the idea, and yes GP traits are fine. As I said in the other group, buying a horse could lead to some very expensive stew though :P
ons and offs

Phaia

Quote from: Tamhansen on March 14, 2016, 01:02:13 PM
I really like the idea, and yes GP traits are fine. As I said in the other group, buying a horse could lead to some very expensive stew though :P

So I gather I can switch campaign trait to get a wayfinder?
also wanted to check with you before I did this. I am gonna have my character be human and take the fey magic racial trait --which drops skilled. This is much better and has more then the half-elf/elf version of the trait and just wanted to be sure it was okay

QuoteSeeking Adventure
Benefit You begin the game with your own wayfinder, a loan from your venture-captain. You’ve promised to pay your venture captain 500 gp for the wayfinder some day, but for now it’s yours to use. A wayfinder is a magical compass that grants you a +2 circumstance bonus on Survival checks to avoid becoming lost, and can be commanded to emit light as the spell (CL 5th) as a standard action.

Phaia

Tamhansen

Well, I'd still need you to pick one of the campaign traits from Skulls and shackles, as they have an influence on the game later on. But I'll allow the other campaign trait as a one off, either as second trait, or if you take a drawback, as third
ons and offs

Phaia

My basic idea for 'Brandy' is that she is a natural born sailor. Born of a drunken mate of a merchant/smuggler and a ship 'girl'. Grew up around ships. found her patron and became a witch. Is now the ships cook. Give her the extra gp trait and have it be used for all sorts of spices/herbs/chickens etc. as well as a masterwork kit. [her prized pots and skillets].

I know She will need profession cook. I was wondering if there was any house rules on food since there are no RAW. Of course she could get the cauldron hex then the cook people with a major hex. Making a delicious stew [yuuum yummm  O:) O:)]

The crew had better not bother her chickens either. Fresh eggs for those she likes or the evil eye for those that mess with her 'girls'!!!

Phaia

Mysterica

I would love to be able to get into an up and coming pathfinder game.  I was thinking of getting in on the last one I saw for this game posted, but there really wasn't much time before it was totally filled up.  Will update with a character concept soon, just need to look at the players guide for the game... could take a few as my internet is super slow download right now.

-edit-

Got in a little time to think up a concept for my character and I think I've decided on a sylph rogue.  An environment that is so dependent upon which way the wind blows seems a perfectly reasonable place for a child of a wind elemental.

TFcommando

I just picked up the Humble Bundle and fantasy pirates are always fun.  How much optimization would be required?  I know there are a lot of trap classes and options in PF, but not exactly what they are.  Magus, Swashbuckler and Sorcerer look interesting.
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in
Canon Character Roleplay and System-based Roleplay

freeko

Tamhansen

There's a lot of people here to help with optimisation, but in the end, I'd advise going for a character that you can get into. I don't play pathfinder as a win or lose game based on group power. Of course there's a risk of dying, but that will be from making wrong choices, never because you weren't the right class or archetype.

That said. If you've settled on a character I'll happily give you advise on several ways to make a good build for it.
ons and offs

RubySlippers

Quote from: freeko on March 14, 2016, 07:46:03 AM
Something tells me I want to get in on this one too with a different concept.

I's consider being in this one to but after new players not in the other game have a chance.

Tamhansen

The problem with mermaids is, that according to Paizo they cannot move on land. And since big parts of the AP do take place on islands and in port towns, you'd be out of the game quite a bit.

edit: and the sharks, yes. You'd have quite a few of those to fight.
ons and offs

DeviantMunster

How hard is it to pickup Pathfinder if you're only familiar with 5e DnD! *Gasps*

Tamhansen

In short, creating a character takes getting used to, but we can help with that. Once you're actually playing, the games are really similar.
ons and offs

Mysterica

Quote from: Tamhansen on March 15, 2016, 01:35:20 PM
In short, creating a character takes getting used to, but we can help with that. Once you're actually playing, the games are really similar.
Pretty much this.  The few differences in play will be picked up on fairly quickly and can be easily found on the character sheet.

TFcommando

Say, is there a decent light/no armor and great/two-handed weapon class, along the lines of the D&D 4e Avenger?  I've had a bit of a yearning to play someone like Cattelya from Queen's Blade or Asterio from 12 Beast.  Big body, big weapon sort.

Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in
Canon Character Roleplay and System-based Roleplay

Tamhansen

Barbarian is the first to spring to mind when you say Avenger. Light armored, big weapons and loads of pent up aggression.
ons and offs

Phaia

@Tamhansen: I decided not to give my character the wayfinder, I found other traits I wanted more including one that gave me a +1 to all fortitude saves [Skull and shackles].

I Have not done S&S and from what I read we start 'captured'? which is fine but also another reason not to go with a bunch of extra gear? If I go with profession-cook are there any ways that can be used to aid the team/crew?

@for team/crew-- I am looking at the witch class but I can easy make my character something else that can support the team. We seem to have a possible big gun in TFc, so I can supply the magic support or go rogue even. I am open to suggestions on what works for the group.

Phaia