I aim to misbehave - A Firefly RP Interest Check

Started by Primarch, January 22, 2023, 09:06:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Primarch

I am looking to start an RP set in the Firefly setting. This will be an all OC RP and will follow the adventures of a mismatched set of individuals who crew a small freighter. In this sense it will have a set up similar to the opening of the series but step away from canon characters so we're more free to establish our own story.
This is intended to be a long term game designed for players interested in world-building, plot development and collaborating on a larger narrative.

Will you be 'GMing' the story?
Yes & no. This is a collaborative narrative and anyone who wishes to participate will be expected to contribute to the overall experience. I will set up a Discord chat which everyone can (optionally) join, we will use it to keep in contact, plot events, organise and world build but but ideally my GMing will be limited so I can also enjoy the RP. Preferably I will be more of a first among equals who might nudge things along or take the lead as we get started. If others wish to come forward and volunteer to help manage the game, it would be appreciated.

Who are the character options?
The crew (or longterm guests) of a small private freighter, including the Captain, pilot, mechanic, etc. As the series never introduced aliens players will be limited to humans but beyond that are free to explore options from the setting, including former Browncoats, Alliance, Companions etc. Just please don't ask if you can play a reaver.     

Do I need to have seen the show/movie?
No, its not strictly necessary. The setting features its own tropes, slang and history but if you haven't seen the series/movie (and aren't interested) there's an excellent wiki you can use to pick up the essentials.       

~~~
Character Sheet template to be posted after sufficient interest expressed.
Questions, Comments & suggestions are welcome.

Ship Roster: - Given the nature of the RP the crew likely features a limited number who are 'essential to function' with the remainder representing skillsets the crew can bring to the table, even with a smaller crew we may see some doubling up or crossover (certainly I expect most characters to possess at least some combat abilities. To this end the below have been seperated between 'Essential' and 'Additional.'

Essential
Captain - Kuroneko
Pilot - Reserved for Doji Hoturi
Mechanic - Reserved for CurvyKitten

Additional
First Mate - Reserved for Devil
Companion/Diplomat - Open
Doctor/Medical - Two interested - Callie Del Noire/Andronica
Mercenary/Muscle - Three interested - Primarch/greypsychman/Etah dna Evol
Miscellaneous - Three interested - Primarch (Ship Cook), Outcast (Professional Gambler), Etah dna Evol (Hacker)

[float=right][img][/img][/float][b]Character:[/b]
[b]Player:[/b]

[b]Role:[/b]
[b]Specialties:[/b]
[list]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]

[b]Personality:[/b]
[list]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]

[b]History:[/b]
[list]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]

[b]Relationships/Connections:[/b]
[list]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]

[b]Mystery Hooks:[/b]
[list]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]

[b]Additional Details:[/b]
[list]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]

[b]Secret Backstory/Details[/b]
[list]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]

Vergil Tanner

Hmmm. Assuming this gets enough interest, I might be interested! I think I'll probably play as an on-board Companion who uses her Companion Status to also serve as a small time information dealer on the side, if that's ok? Nothing huge, just little tidbits of political gossip and insider details gleaned from her travels?
Vergil's Faceclaim Archive; For All Your Character Model Seeking Needs!

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Dubbed the "Oath of Drake,"
A noble philosophy; I adhere...for now.

Primarch

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on January 22, 2023, 09:13:23 AM
Hmmm. Assuming this gets enough interest, I might be interested! I think I'll probably play as an on-board Companion who uses her Companion Status to also serve as a small time information dealer on the side, if that's ok? Nothing huge, just little tidbits of political gossip and insider details gleaned from her travels?

I'm positive Companions operate under a strict ' client confidentiality' clause which might be problematic for a Companion/Information Dealer but it can always be explored as a character sub-plot. Sounds fine to me.

Vergil Tanner

Well, it depends on the clause. She's not saying who she got the info from, after all!
Though either way, she's definitely doing something unethical at best and illegal at worst...whch means it would be best if people don't find out! And she's probably made her share of enemies, too xD
Vergil's Faceclaim Archive; For All Your Character Model Seeking Needs!

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Dubbed the "Oath of Drake,"
A noble philosophy; I adhere...for now.

Andronica

Rustic

Potentially interested to see where this goes...

Is this going to be a limited small group, as in once the ship is full it's full, or will there be several ships and crews and people, a full world?

Primarch

Quote from: Rustic on January 22, 2023, 10:59:39 AM
Is this going to be a limited small group, as in once the ship is full it's full, or will there be several ships and crews and people, a full world?

I'm currently not putting a limit on the crew, but I would prefer to establish the roster in the first ship & crew before introducing a second ship.

Andronica

Primarch, do you want to put up a roster for the first vessel? I know you've got some ideas put up but I was initially going to pitch a companion and if Vergil goes that route, I want to make sure things are more varied (probably will play a Merc instead).

Primarch

Added a roster. Given the 'mismatched band of misfits' motif I don't think the crew is likely to feature a strict roster so its a little vague compared to my usual but it at least gives people a guide.

Kadigan

I’d be very interested in coming up with something for the mechanic

Kuroneko

Potentially interested in captain or first mate.
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

Primarch

Quote from: Kadigan on January 22, 2023, 01:22:20 PM
I’d be very interested in coming up with something for the mechanic

Marked down as reserved!

Quote from: Kuroneko on January 22, 2023, 01:47:52 PM
Potentially interested in captain or first mate.

If you settle on one let me know and I'll mark it off

Callie Del Noire

I’m thinking Ship’s Doctor with a serious case of ‘Mysterious past’ out look.

Outcast

I am extremely short on spoons at the moment.  If I had more, I would definitely sign up for this.  I certainly hope that it goes well.  :D
My Ons and Offs  My A/A (updated 10/4/24)

Primarch

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on January 22, 2023, 02:22:44 PM
I’m thinking Ship’s Doctor with a serious case of ‘Mysterious past’ out look.

So I may be tweaking the character sheet to enable secret backstories. The basic idea is to add into the sheet a section for 'Mystery Hooks' where a player can note little details other characters might notice that don't quiet add up, and add a secondary little add on for the CS with the full story that's only included when submitting the app for review. This way you can send me the full story & I can sign off on it, but other players won't know it so you can keep your surprise reveal. Also I've marked you down for the Doctor.

Quote from: Outcast on January 22, 2023, 02:30:41 PM
I am extremely short on spoons at the moment.  If I had more, I would definitely sign up for this.  I certainly hope that it goes well.  :D

Thank you kindly! If you find more spoons down the line I'm sure we can find space for you in the game later. 

Kuroneko

Quote from: Primarch on January 22, 2023, 02:00:38 PM

If you settle on one let me know and I'll mark it off

I'm going to say Captain, as my first mate is more of a muscle/merc character.
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

TippedVelvet

I'd be interested in either a captain role or a Zoey/First Mate.
Interested in writing with me? Check out my likes!

Primarch

Quote from: Kuroneko on January 22, 2023, 03:25:49 PM
I'm going to say Captain, as my first mate is more of a muscle/merc character.

Added

Quote from: TippedVelvet on January 22, 2023, 03:54:53 PM
I'd be interested in either a captain role or a Zoey/First Mate.

Kuro just confirmed for Captain, so I've put you down for First Mate.

TippedVelvet

Quote from: Primarch on January 22, 2023, 04:05:00 PM
Added

Kuro just confirmed for Captain, so I've put you down for First Mate.
Awesome!

@Kuro: Any thoughts you'd like to share on your Captain? Would you like us to have an existing relationship like Mal and Zoe, or would you prefer that we weren't so attuned? Pm me!
Interested in writing with me? Check out my likes!

Cold Heritage

Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Primarch

Cold Heritage

If memory serves from previous projects, you want sheets to be sent to you via private messaging for review. Is that the case here?
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Outcast

It looks as if you have hit a full crew impressively quickly.

...which is probably helpfully good news for my attempts to fight the temptation to sign up for another game.
My Ons and Offs  My A/A (updated 10/4/24)

Primarch

Quote from: Cold Heritage on January 22, 2023, 04:21:39 PM
If memory serves from previous projects, you want sheets to be sent to you via private messaging for review. Is that the case here?

Yes please.

Quote from: Outcast on January 22, 2023, 04:23:19 PM
It looks as if you have hit a full crew impressively quickly.

...which is probably helpfully good news for my attempts to fight the temptation to sign up for another game.

Crew isn't full until we decide how many bunks the ship has. I've sent the others the link to the Discord to discuss/plot the game. I'll send it to you too, I'll leave the decision to join up to you.

Rustic

I'm still tentative, depending on the size of things and my time. But if I do, maybe like a secondary mechanic (if there's room) or a mercenary (maybe a mix of both). Thinking a young gun, a kid who thinks too highly of himself and gets in over his head way too often.