News:

Main Menu

Pokemon!

Started by Dimir, January 05, 2015, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on January 10, 2015, 08:18:28 PM
No, because unless Nintendo makes the money off of it why make it?  That isn't how that works.  Companies give no fucks about used game sales.
Well, they do, but they give fucks in a wrong way (ie implementing draconian DRM).
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Mathim

It's just an indicator anyway. If people like that type of game that much, where the demand for used copies is high, that does signify there could be significant profit to be found in making yet another new one. People go to college for this stuff, so much as Nintendo may cheese people off (I for one will never forgive them for letting Rare get away and making Donkey Kong Country/64 unavailable on the virtual console) there's no reason to get this agitated. I'd love to see a new Ranger on the 3DS but I won't hold my breath since I personally also try to buy only used games and have yet to be able to afford many of the other 3DS games I want. Even if they did release one, it'd be years before I could actually get my hands on it, so I'm just gonna sit on that knowledge and be chill.

On that note, I'd like them to make another Pokemon X D Gale of Darkness style game. Maybe it wouldn't have to be quite as lengthy as the typical handheld RPG but I'd still like to have another fully 3D Pokemon game on a console that ISN'T just a Stadium/Colosseum/Battle Revolution type thing that's all about fighting and lacks any exploration.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SinXAzgard21

Just got a Regigigas for a sandshrew in wonder trade.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Mathim

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on January 11, 2015, 10:36:01 PM
Just got a Regigigas for a sandshrew in wonder trade.

What's wonder trade?

Also, have they done anything about that whole Original Trainer thing? If I have to transfer in Pokemon from older games, like from one of the GBA versions to the Pal Park from Diamond/Pearl, even though they're mine, it doesn't let me do things as if I was the OT. I wish they'd just get rid of that if they haven't already.

Also, HMs needed a rehaul several generations ago. Instead of them taking up space as a move and forcing you to have an HM mule all the time, they could have made each Pokemon able to hold only one HM move at a time, similar to how each one only has one Ability (like Compoundeyes or Levitate), which they can delete and replace just like the way they can now. That way you'd still have to be judicious about which ones to make a team out of since only certain ones can use certain HMs, but then they could have even more HMs and it wouldn't be a huge pain like it is now. Have they done anything in these latest generations to make HMs any better and less of a hassle?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Mathim on January 12, 2015, 07:38:24 PM
What's wonder trade?

Also, have they done anything about that whole Original Trainer thing? If I have to transfer in Pokemon from older games, like from one of the GBA versions to the Pal Park from Diamond/Pearl, even though they're mine, it doesn't let me do things as if I was the OT. I wish they'd just get rid of that if they haven't already.

Also, HMs needed a rehaul several generations ago. Instead of them taking up space as a move and forcing you to have an HM mule all the time, they could have made each Pokemon able to hold only one HM move at a time, similar to how each one only has one Ability (like Compoundeyes or Levitate), which they can delete and replace just like the way they can now. That way you'd still have to be judicious about which ones to make a team out of since only certain ones can use certain HMs, but then they could have even more HMs and it wouldn't be a huge pain like it is now. Have they done anything in these latest generations to make HMs any better and less of a hassle?

Wonder trade is a blind trade.  You don't know what you are getting and neither does the random person.

OT still exists and I'm not actually sure how far back you can bring pokemon and it really isn't worth since you an get all 700+ easily now. 

Still need HM slave that isn't going to change as some of those moves are actually used in move sets and some actually learn some through leveling up.  Dive comes to mind.

Mathim

All those answers are disappointing. I guess I won't be coming out of retirement from playing the main series any time soon. I guess they also haven't developed any HMs for doing things like walking on lava or not sliding on icy paths and such?

Nachtmahr

Fun fact: The newest titles in the main series, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire actually decided to increase the number of moves required for you to have a pleasant and open playthrough of the game. To navigate the world properly you're going to need not one, but two slaves, both with 4/4 moves that a dictated by what's needed rather than what you want.

As far as trading up Pokémon though, you can actually transfer a Pokémon from the original first game all the way up to the newest if you do it properly - It is however a rather complicated and strange process that'll like be too bothersome for anyone to go ahead and tinker with unless you're really desperate to have your old Pokémon brought with you for some reason. I don't really see how that is disappointing though - Honestly it's just to be expected. When a game goes through generations, and even jumps from new console to console, you can hardly expect them to keep everything compatible all the way through.

Are there any new HM's though? Depends on what you'd consider new to be honest. Not sliding on icy paths is a somewhat poor example, because most icy floors exist solely as part of puzzles, and yet, even to this day, in a world of 3D, the puzzles are basically the exact same as they've always been. You've got your 'Push a rock around' puzzles and your 'Slide in the right direction' puzzles, and a few other familiar faces. But no, nothing is particularly fresh about the HM's. Same old.

That being said, X/Y are (Warning: Opinion) probably the best Pokémon games to ever be released - In stark contrast to Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire that are easily the greatest and most disappointing and infuriating waste of time I've seen in a very long time.

'But Nachtmahr, ORAS can do all the same things as X/Y!' No! They've tried to shamelessly just copy-paste every interesting feature from X/Y, and yet they couldn't even get their copy-paste right and managed to direly mess up things that should be so simple!
There's a lot of water in ORAS, and some might already be itching to jump at me and lecture me on how the games take place on a bunch of tiny islands - Well, the water isn't my problem.. My problem is that being stuck in an environment that looks exactly the same, blue and bland, for hours and hours just isn't fun whether it's the sea or the moon. The games lack any kind of diversity, going from 'Forest' to 'Caves' to 'Water' and that's it.
The 3D graphics doesn't really do anything in ORAS favor either as it's very obvious to see that the game itself wasn't originally built around the idea. Where X/Y is full of beautiful vistas and structures to behold, ORAS looks bland from just about any angle you can imagine with it's towns consisting mostly of two houses and a Pokémon center and boring scenery.
Another shortcoming of ORAS is the fact that it completely falls behind when it comes to diversity in encounters - Every badguy you fight feels the same, and either faction, be it Team Aqua or Magma are limited to a pool of just 4 Pokémon, and eventually their evolutions - Except for their trademark Pokémon which apparently only the leader is allowed to evolve.

There are so many things wrong with Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire that it would be too much to just list here, but my god.. If you love them, good on you - I don't get it, but good on you. I tried, and I tried hard.. However, whatever I did the game insisted on finding new and creative ways of just completely wasting my time as a player and loyal fan, while spoon-feeding me sub-par content.
~Await the Dawn With Her Kiss of Redemption, My Firebird!~
~You Were the Queen of the Souls of Man Before There Was the Word~

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Mathim on January 13, 2015, 08:20:25 AM
All those answers are disappointing. I guess I won't be coming out of retirement from playing the main series any time soon. I guess they also haven't developed any HMs for doing things like walking on lava or not sliding on icy paths and such?

No, but the games are a lot better than the originals.

Mathim

Quote from: Nachtmahr on January 13, 2015, 01:05:31 PM
Fun fact: The newest titles in the main series, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire actually decided to increase the number of moves required for you to have a pleasant and open playthrough of the game. To navigate the world properly you're going to need not one, but two slaves, both with 4/4 moves that a dictated by what's needed rather than what you want.

As far as trading up Pokémon though, you can actually transfer a Pokémon from the original first game all the way up to the newest if you do it properly - It is however a rather complicated and strange process that'll like be too bothersome for anyone to go ahead and tinker with unless you're really desperate to have your old Pokémon brought with you for some reason. I don't really see how that is disappointing though - Honestly it's just to be expected. When a game goes through generations, and even jumps from new console to console, you can hardly expect them to keep everything compatible all the way through.

Are there any new HM's though? Depends on what you'd consider new to be honest. Not sliding on icy paths is a somewhat poor example, because most icy floors exist solely as part of puzzles, and yet, even to this day, in a world of 3D, the puzzles are basically the exact same as they've always been. You've got your 'Push a rock around' puzzles and your 'Slide in the right direction' puzzles, and a few other familiar faces. But no, nothing is particularly fresh about the HM's. Same old.

That being said, X/Y are (Warning: Opinion) probably the best Pokémon games to ever be released - In stark contrast to Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire that are easily the greatest and most disappointing and infuriating waste of time I've seen in a very long time.

'But Nachtmahr, ORAS can do all the same things as X/Y!' No! They've tried to shamelessly just copy-paste every interesting feature from X/Y, and yet they couldn't even get their copy-paste right and managed to direly mess up things that should be so simple!
There's a lot of water in ORAS, and some might already be itching to jump at me and lecture me on how the games take place on a bunch of tiny islands - Well, the water isn't my problem.. My problem is that being stuck in an environment that looks exactly the same, blue and bland, for hours and hours just isn't fun whether it's the sea or the moon. The games lack any kind of diversity, going from 'Forest' to 'Caves' to 'Water' and that's it.
The 3D graphics doesn't really do anything in ORAS favor either as it's very obvious to see that the game itself wasn't originally built around the idea. Where X/Y is full of beautiful vistas and structures to behold, ORAS looks bland from just about any angle you can imagine with it's towns consisting mostly of two houses and a Pokémon center and boring scenery.
Another shortcoming of ORAS is the fact that it completely falls behind when it comes to diversity in encounters - Every badguy you fight feels the same, and either faction, be it Team Aqua or Magma are limited to a pool of just 4 Pokémon, and eventually their evolutions - Except for their trademark Pokémon which apparently only the leader is allowed to evolve.

There are so many things wrong with Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire that it would be too much to just list here, but my god.. If you love them, good on you - I don't get it, but good on you. I tried, and I tried hard.. However, whatever I did the game insisted on finding new and creative ways of just completely wasting my time as a player and loyal fan, while spoon-feeding me sub-par content.

No need to badmouth the 3DS versions of Hoenn region, the originals were the worst just as they were, so all that stuff could have just been said about Ruby and Sapphire. It was practically impossible to build even a half-decent team of 5 unless you were okay with having a bunch of quadruple-weakness-having chumps, which I was not. Yes, the water was irritating, yes, the majority of real dungeons were just cavey repeats, it's all valid, but the remakes can't help that. The originals are to blame.

SinXAzgard21

About to give pokemon insurgence a go.

Nachtmahr

Quote from: Mathim on January 13, 2015, 08:11:12 PM
No need to badmouth the 3DS versions of Hoenn region, the originals were the worst just as they were, so all that stuff could have just been said about Ruby and Sapphire. It was practically impossible to build even a half-decent team of 5 unless you were okay with having a bunch of quadruple-weakness-having chumps, which I was not. Yes, the water was irritating, yes, the majority of real dungeons were just cavey repeats, it's all valid, but the remakes can't help that. The originals are to blame.

I honestly don't feel like that at all - The remakes are possibly even worse, for they have no real reason to exist if they're not there to improve on the original product. The games were fine for what they were when they first came out, water and all, but that's quite a while ago, and the fact that the series has made such huge leaps in terms of both storytelling and mechanics makes it outright grievous that the follow-up to that is a far worse product. If you try to be 'on edge' and keep up with the games and the competitive scene, you don't really get a choice as to which game you play, because ORAS serves not only as a remake but also as a standalone sequel to X/Y, even adding new Pokémon in the form of various Mega-Evolutions.

Being a remake or not I don't see any reason why they should be protected from criticism whether to original was as bad or worse. If the original was a bad game they shouldn't have been remade in the first place.

I'm not attacking anyone who likes the game, this is literally just my opinion of the game. I don't want anyone to take any criticism of this product as a personal insult. I find them to be dreadful, but if you want to be where the action is at you don't really get to say that you don't want to take part, and that's perhaps the worst of it all.

I have more fun breeding the Pokémon I need in Y than I have using them in Omega Ruby. :/

Mathim

Well, I guess if we expected the remakes to be improvements and they didn't, that makes sense, but I didn't have much hope for that given how dismal the originals were.

I'm just really disappointed that in the new games (Black/White, X/Y) they have done little if anything to add more evolutions/prevolutions to previous Pokemon. I want a Rapidash evolution into a Pegasus, and a Houndoom evolution into a Cerberus!

la dame en noir

Wow this light hearted discussion turned into something quite serious.
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Nachtmahr

Quote from: Mathim on January 14, 2015, 04:34:26 PM
I'm just really disappointed that in the new games (Black/White, X/Y) they have done little if anything to add more evolutions/prevolutions to previous Pokemon. I want a Rapidash evolution into a Pegasus, and a Houndoom evolution into a Cerberus!

Well, if anything then that is something you should already be aware was unlikely to happen. To be honest, I'd much rather see some completely new Pokémon with completely new evolutions than I'd want to see them just piling more and more on top of the old ones. Most of the old Pokémon are so iconic by now that any changes made to them would violently infuriate most of the community - A lot of people use these as they are in their current state, so forcing evolutions on them would be bad.

And.. Personally I'd hate to see it go down a super predictable and stereotypical path of horse-like Pokémon becoming Pega.. si? Pegasi? Pegasuses? Either way, I think that would be a great sadness, and another waste of potential in a future game if all it did was revamp a bunch of old Pokémon. People are already not quite buying the idea that the mega-evolutions of X/Y count towards the overall Pokémon pool.

But I wouldn't say it turned quite serious - But it is a topic that some people feel more passionately about than others. All I really wanted to say is that I personally don't thing ORAS are any good at all, especially not as a direct follow-up to X/Y. I dearly love X/Y, on a more positive note though. In my opinion they are quite possibly the best games in the franchise, if you take off your nostalgia goggles.

I guess it'll be interested to see whether we'll jump straight into Gen-7 later this year, or if we'll actually get the fabled Pokémon Z. It would be nice for Zygarde to make some kind of sense. I adore the design.

Mathim

Quote from: Nachtmahr on January 14, 2015, 06:55:49 PM
Well, if anything then that is something you should already be aware was unlikely to happen. To be honest, I'd much rather see some completely new Pokémon with completely new evolutions than I'd want to see them just piling more and more on top of the old ones. Most of the old Pokémon are so iconic by now that any changes made to them would violently infuriate most of the community - A lot of people use these as they are in their current state, so forcing evolutions on them would be bad.

And.. Personally I'd hate to see it go down a super predictable and stereotypical path of horse-like Pokémon becoming Pega.. si? Pegasi? Pegasuses? Either way, I think that would be a great sadness, and another waste of potential in a future game if all it did was revamp a bunch of old Pokémon. People are already not quite buying the idea that the mega-evolutions of X/Y count towards the overall Pokémon pool.

But I wouldn't say it turned quite serious - But it is a topic that some people feel more passionately about than others. All I really wanted to say is that I personally don't thing ORAS are any good at all, especially not as a direct follow-up to X/Y. I dearly love X/Y, on a more positive note though. In my opinion they are quite possibly the best games in the franchise, if you take off your nostalgia goggles.

I guess it'll be interested to see whether we'll jump straight into Gen-7 later this year, or if we'll actually get the fabled Pokémon Z. It would be nice for Zygarde to make some kind of sense. I adore the design.

Really? How should I have been aware that it was likely not to happen? They already rehash so many different types, such as frogs, turtles, monkeys and pigs, it's kind of ridiculous. At least making mythical further evolutions to existing varieties would be better than just lame recreations. There's also so much untapped potential already, I think (please correct me if they've finally gotten around to it) they still haven't modeled any new Pokemon after mosquitoes, narwhals, woodpeckers or even other things non-animalistic like flying saucers (kind of like that one ability Kirby gets in some games.)

Nachtmahr

Actually, here's a flying saucer for you. Magnezone.

But piling new evolutions on top of some of the most beloved of all Pokémon is very unlikely. It's like Blizzard coming out and just making all orcs various shades of blue for not apparent reason. There are plenty of myth-inspired Pokémon already in the game - The bulk of them just happen to be based on Japanese and general eastern mythology. Considering where this franchise comes from, that's not really all that surprising either.

But in essence, any Pokémon that's currently somewhat viable as a competitive player is unlikely to get anymore than a Mega-Evolution at best - Which Houndoom and plenty of other Gen-1 and 2 Pokémon have. Not surprisingly though, people are very easily offended when a classic gets a facelift that they either don't like, or didn't feel like it needed. Adding evolutions and Megas on old Pokémon these days is really a matter of balance more than adding something new to the game. Houndoom even already has a Mega! And Mega-Evolution is a big chunk of the ways the game function, being possibly the most radical change to happen for a long time.

But with only around 700 Pokémon in the game, you're right: There are a lot of things they haven't modeled Pokémon after yet. I personally think there are more interesting things than just more animals though. Of course I don't agree with the fact that there now is a 'Cotton Candy' Pokémon, and the fact that there is a Pokémon which is essentially a bundle of keys on a coat hanger, but hey.. At least it's somewhat innovative.

yugi006

They didn't really improve much on ORAS. The only reason it was made as with all remakes is so the Pokemon from that gen become available as it's hard to be the Pokemon from that gen.

Nachtmahr

Quote from: yugi006 on January 15, 2015, 04:01:27 AM
They didn't really improve much on ORAS. The only reason it was made as with all remakes is so the Pokemon from that gen become available as it's hard to be the Pokemon from that gen.

Actually, other than the legendaries, that's not really true. The online trading system makes every Pokémon ever made available to everyone pretty much. All you have to do is roll the dice on Wonder Trade, or simply just browse the Trade section.

I strongly doubt there's any 'single reason' as to why it was made, other than of course monetizing nostalgia. I believe there is something deeper in the story, as the story has been updated to suit the current Gen as opposed to Gen-3 when it came out. I won't spoil it though, and there's of course every chance my theories are wrong anyway.

yugi006

The trade section sucks so much. I've browsed the trade sections in X and Y when looking for stuff to fill my Dex and all I see are people asking for Legendaries even for basic Pokemon. It's hard to find any reasonable trades. Also it would be nice if it could show abilities and moves on the Pokemon that you are getting cause if you are looking for a specific ability and get something different it sucks.

True it is possible to get Pokemon from the 3rd gen but it isn't that easy for those that don't have access to the originals and a original DS or DS lite. Nostalgia is definitely a factor but not the biggest reason. The reason it's possible to obtain all po!emon is because of the 1st and second gen remakes. Without those it would be impossible to get everything.

The story is pretty much the same except expanded on due to the mega evolutions and primal Pokemon.

As for Z coming out Black and White broke the chain for that with Black 2 and White 2. For all we know there could be and 2 and Y 2.

Nachtmahr

You see, again I'm going to disagree - Sure there are a lot fo people who use the trading system in rather weird ways, asking for a shiny Mewtwo in return for their Meowth, but fact of the matter is that all Pokémon are still available, and were available, all throughout X/Y without having to do anything particularly straining to get a hold of them, except for a few legendaries. First of all there is a rather large selection of Pokémon to be found in the games already, and then you have the 'Friend Safari' system making even more of them available, in addition to making it possible for you to farm hidden abilities.

The last game I played before X/Y was the original Gold some ten years ago - I decided I wanted to see how the series had progressed, so I got myself a 3DS and Pokémon Y, and I had absolutely no trouble getting any Pokémon I wanted, so I just don't see any logic behind the idea that ORAS were made exclusively for the sake of bringing back Gen 1-3 Pokémon to the game - What about all the Gen 1-2 Pokémon that aren't actually in ORAS? If they were made for that purpose, they would have to have somewhere around 350 Pokémon available in the game from the very beginning, and believe me: It doesn't.

Without spoiling anything, the Pokémon available to you at the start of the game are so limited in number that you're forced to keep 1 particular Pokémon on you during any playthrough in order to progress, simply to be able to use 'Cut' without having to grind your start up to it's first evolution.

And the story is actually fairly different, but I'm not going to go into that to avoid spoilers.

Anyways: I don't think the fact that Black and White went with two sequels rather than just one 'Grey' means that the concept of having a single game come out to 'end' a generation is done with. I firmly believe that the reason why they made Black and White 2 instead of a single game is because it didn't make sense with that particular storyline to have it all in one game - However, a Pokémon Z makes sense within the narrative of X/Y.

yugi006

Provided you have internet access to get them otherwise you had to get them the old fashioned way through previous generations. Also if you know where to look it makes things easier than gong directly to the trade section in game. The friend safari is amazing but the GTS doesn't show what abilities a Pokemon has unless you go through Wi-Fi.

I'm not saying ORAS was made to bring back gen 1-3 cause they are available but it was made to make it easier to get Pokemon with the amount of starters and legendaries made available. X and Y did the same thing by making first gen starters available as well as certain legendaries. The primary reason I believe is just to make things easier to get as with having both X and Y and ORAS you can get most of the Pokemon. The Gen 1-2 stuff that isn't in ORAS is in X and Y. Obviously Pokemon does sell well so that is a big reason for the remake.

The story seems pretty much the same to me just expanded upon with the Delta Episode.

I do agree with you on the Z concept but ORAS is already out. It has been the case with Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum that they released right after their respective generations with no releases in between. Same goes for Black and White 2.

Nachtmahr

Quote from: yugi006 on January 15, 2015, 05:12:18 PM
I do agree with you on the Z concept but ORAS is already out. It has been the case with Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum that they released right after their respective generations with no releases in between. Same goes for Black and White 2.

Again, that's not actually true. The remakes of Pokémon Red and Pokémon Green were released after the original Ruby and Sapphire. It was more than 6 months after the release of the Gen-1 remakes that Emerald saw it's own release, 2 years after Ruby and Sapphire.

I still believe that it wouldn't make much sense in the narrative of X/Y to have actual sequels the same way Black and White had - But it would make sense to have a single game that serves a sort of conclusion, similar to how Crystal, Platinum, Yellow and Emerald worked. I think it's somewhat like that there will be a Pokémon Z, because ending a new generation with two remakes, and only having to actual games that are set in gen 6 doesn't make an awful lot of sense to me. It would be the shortest generation to date if they did that.

But of course we won't actually know until they release some information, and they likely won't do that until later this year - Late in the summer if I were to guess just off the top of my head.

Now.. I fear we're making a lot of people uncomfortable with these discussion? ^^'

Anything I have said isn't meant as an insult or an attack on the franchise - I come in peace! Promise!

yugi006

Quote from: Nachtmahr on January 16, 2015, 04:21:14 AM
Again, that's not actually true. The remakes of Pokémon Red and Pokémon Green were released after the original Ruby and Sapphire. It was more than 6 months after the release of the Gen-1 remakes that Emerald saw it's own release, 2 years after Ruby and Sapphire.

I still believe that it wouldn't make much sense in the narrative of X/Y to have actual sequels the same way Black and White had - But it would make sense to have a single game that serves a sort of conclusion, similar to how Crystal, Platinum, Yellow and Emerald worked. I think it's somewhat like that there will be a Pokémon Z, because ending a new generation with two remakes, and only having to actual games that are set in gen 6 doesn't make an awful lot of sense to me. It would be the shortest generation to date if they did that.

But of course we won't actually know until they release some information, and they likely won't do that until later this year - Late in the summer if I were to guess just off the top of my head.

Now.. I fear we're making a lot of people uncomfortable with these discussion? ^^'

Anything I have said isn't meant as an insult or an attack on the franchise - I come in peace! Promise!

Well I missed that one but to be fair the release of Fire Red and Leaf Green and Emerald were not too far apart.

If Z were to be released it would have to be this year so I agree on that.

Well the discussion is pretty much over.

Nachtmahr

Quote from: yugi006 on January 16, 2015, 04:45:29 AM
Well I missed that one but to be fair the release of Fire Red and Leaf Green and Emerald were not too far apart.

If Z were to be released it would have to be this year so I agree on that.

Well the discussion is pretty much over.

Well, Emerald came out about 8 months after FireRed and LeafGreen, so I'd say that's actually a pretty decent about of time. :P

Mathim

To be fair, Emerald made the Hoenn experience (just barely) tolerable for me, but if Omega/Alpha don't give at least as much as Emerald gave to the original Ruby and Sapphire, that would be a huge rip-off.