News:

"The Most Precious Jewel [One Shot: NC-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Pokemon!

Started by Dimir, January 05, 2015, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yugi006

Quote from: Nachtmahr on January 16, 2015, 05:32:26 AM
Well, Emerald came out about 8 months after FireRed and LeafGreen, so I'd say that's actually a pretty decent about of time. :P

Consider it took 2 years for Fire Red and Leaf Green 8 months is not that long for me.

Quote from: Mathim on January 16, 2015, 08:52:10 AM
To be fair, Emerald made the Hoenn experience (just barely) tolerable for me, but if Omega/Alpha don't give at least as much as Emerald gave to the original Ruby and Sapphire, that would be a huge rip-off.

To me ORAS is worth the play through cause it is a whole new experience cause of all the changes.

King Serperior

Slipping off topic for a moment, but are there any Pokemon fans here who enjoy doing Nuzlocke challenges, be they normal Nuzlockes, WonderLockes, or even Wedlockes (which I have yet to have tried)?  I personally prefer these challenges over regular runs since they help me use Pokemon I likely never would have used before.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.

Zekromnomnom

Personally, I loved the original Gen 3. My main problem with ORAS is lack of challenge since everything seems to be leveling up too quickly. And about the idea of having Houndoom and Rapidash get new evolutions, that was the kind of thing they did with Diamond and Pearl which are by far my least favorite games.

Rather than trying to come up with new pokemon, not counting the stupid beaver one that was the best HM slave ever and having a new bird pokemon based on some kind of real life bird no one can really recognize anyway, they mostly decided to have new evolutions of old pokemon, often ones that didn't really need it. Roselia needed a pre-evolution? Nosepass, a freaking big nosed Easter Island statue, needed a new evolution? Not to mention Eevee evolutions tied to locations which was pretty annoying.

I'm not saying a three headed dog wouldn't be cool, but I worry that if they try to have new evolutions of old stuff, they'll just mess it up again.  Which is what I'll always view DP as. I'd rather have a new generation with lots of new stuff. I don't mind sifting through a garbage bag pokemon, an ice cream cone, or cotton candy if it means I get 8 ft long centipede monster or an adorable flying squirrel pokemon or a common bird pokemon that evolves and finally gets a typing other than Normal/Flying.

For the record, in my opinion, I think obviously they wanted to make money with ORAS, but on the other hand, it's one of few mainstream series where people who are getting into it now when they're eight years old can easily play something that I played 12 years ago without having to like buy a cartridge off of ebay. So I'm not going to be hating on it even though they could have done a lot better with it.

Take all that with a grain of salt, though I guess. I'm obviously not the completionist some of you are and I have plenty of little or gigantic hang ups about different aspects of pokemon (like...pretty much everything about Lucario for instance).

Oh, and Samurot or however it's spelled is kind of like a narwhal.

SinXAzgard21

It has been said by the creator of Pokemon that the games are easier.  I don't mind, I play this game to breed and wifi battle.  Faster I can clear, faster I can get to breeding and playing.  EVs being able to do easily now is a welcome change for me as well. 
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

King Serperior

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on January 16, 2015, 03:01:52 PM
It has been said by the creator of Pokemon that the games are easier.  I don't mind, I play this game to breed and wifi battle.  Faster I can clear, faster I can get to breeding and playing.  EVs being able to do easily now is a welcome change for me as well.
While nice, I would love to have a much more difficult Pokemon game, one that would provide a challenge in a regular playthrough as well as providing many encounters so that Nuzlockes will be both very difficult and fun at the same time.  Then again, I don't breed or EV/IV train often, so my opinion may be somewhat moot in that regard.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: King Serperior on January 16, 2015, 03:07:10 PM
While nice, I would love to have a much more difficult Pokemon game, one that would provide a challenge in a regular playthrough as well as providing many encounters so that Nuzlockes will be both very difficult and fun at the same time.  Then again, I don't breed or EV/IV train often, so my opinion may be somewhat moot in that regard.

Won't happen, target audience is children.

Mathim

It wouldn't kill them to make a Kid Mode and a Hard/Challenge Mode for players of varying skill and experience. I miss there being more games where that's a choice. Then again, RPGs never really did make themselves known for that. Still, it couldn't hurt to start.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SinXAzgard21

It would kill Nintendo, it isn't how their pokemon games are made.  :P

Zekromnomnom

I really doubt having two difficulties in Pokemon games would kill Nintendo.

Qt

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on January 11, 2015, 10:36:01 PM
Just got a Regigigas for a sandshrew in wonder trade.

Wonder trade is quite wonderful, once got a 6IV Rayquaza once, though I'm pretty sure that was a genned poke.

Quote from: Mathim on January 16, 2015, 11:49:59 PM
It wouldn't kill them to make a Kid Mode and a Hard/Challenge Mode for players of varying skill and experience. I miss there being more games where that's a choice. Then again, RPGs never really did make themselves known for that. Still, it couldn't hurt to start.

In a way pokemon already has a hard mode. Since competitive pokemon really only begins after you finish the game and start spending hundreds of hours breeding stuff, and soft resetting for legendaries. There also stuff like battle maison where things can get ridiculously hard after you get a few wins. I do admit the single player seems easy, one could always turn off the exp share, even though it only really increases the grind rather than make the game actually harder.

AurieSilver

Quote from: Qt on January 17, 2015, 06:54:11 AM

In a way pokemon already has a hard mode. Since competitive pokemon really only begins after you finish the game and start spending hundreds of hours breeding stuff, and soft resetting for legendaries. There also stuff like battle maison where things can get ridiculously hard after you get a few wins. I do admit the single player seems easy, one could always turn off the exp share, even though it only really increases the grind rather than make the game actually harder.

I wouldn't really call that a hard mode. Most people don't breed or waste time soft resetting, they just pokegen or powersave their Pokemon. I personally breed, but I think anyone who soft resets is just wasting their time. Also if you're buying the game just to play competitively then you might as well just save 40 dollars and play Pokemon Showdown.

The problem with the maison is that it's "difficulty" lies in the fact that you don't know what the opponent has while they know what you have. Most of the time the game just tries to counter team you at later levels. Thats why Greninja is so good in maison, the ability to change types really throws off the computer. Plus there's plenty of really easy but extremely boring strategies that make the maison a joke, like using a Truant Durant with Entrainment paired with a Pokemon that can set up.

I don't understand the reasoning behind making the games so much easier without offering a harder difficulty. Heck, I barely see the reasoning behind making the games so much easier at all. We've all been kids before and we got through the games just fine, I don't believe anyone needs their hands held but if Gamefreak thinks some people do then at least give a hard mode for the people who don't want their hands held.

Tsenta

They did hard/easy modes in the Gen5 games... >_>;
There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

Mathim

Quote from: Tsenta on January 17, 2015, 02:11:58 PM
They did hard/easy modes in the Gen5 games... >_>;

What exactly does the difference between them entail?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

King Serperior

Quote from: Mathim on January 18, 2015, 06:05:12 PM
What exactly does the difference between them entail?
Higher/lower levels for the gym leaders, rivals, and E4 respectively.  Hard mode added an extra Pokemon to each Gym so sweeping them with a single type advantage wouldn't be so easy:  The first gym (Normal) received a Pidove (Normal/Flying) to make catching a Riolu early wouldn't be a clean sweep.  In the second gym (Poison), Roxie gets a Grimer, which has Mud Slap, which is 4X super effective against Magnimite.  Mag walls that gym completely otherwise.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

Nachtmahr

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on January 16, 2015, 03:30:01 PM
Won't happen, target audience is children.

I think that's way too much of a blanket statement - First of all I don't think there's any way to actually confirm or affirm that the games are targeted specifically at children, if by children we assume you mean 5-10 year olds. Just because the protagonists are usually ridiculously young that doesn't mean the audience is meant to be those of just that age. As a matter of fact I'd go as far as to say that there is no specific target audience - The games don't market themselves to anyone in particular, and the anime and the games have nothing to do with each other apart from being set in two versions of the same universe.

If I were to say the games were being marketed to anyone I'd say young teens, but history has proven time and time again that the audience of the Pokémon games is pretty equal in terms of both age and gender. Especially in newer generations we have an increased depth and impact to the stories, the games now including several themes that I wouldn't deem to be targeted at children.

The second part about this statement I find to be a bit off is the fact that no one here has the ability to make a call about whether or not the difficulty of the games is only going to go down. First of all, the company themselves did state that the decrease in difficulty was to be a favor to older fans who, because of general adult stuff, do not have time to spend hours and hours and hours grinding anymore - It's not to make the game more accessible to children. When I was a child I had no problem playing the old 'difficult' games, and nor has anyone I've ever known had any issues with them. There's nothing wrong with putting a bit of challenge in a game even if it's for children.

In conclusions: I don't believe the games are targeted specifically at children - I see no proof at all to that theory. And I firmly believe that there will be 'harder' Pokémon games at some point - Even if it is just a hard-mode that amps everything's levels up by 5 or something.   
~Await the Dawn With Her Kiss of Redemption, My Firebird!~
~You Were the Queen of the Souls of Man Before There Was the Word~

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Nachtmahr on January 19, 2015, 12:44:48 PM
I think that's way too much of a blanket statement - First of all I don't think there's any way to actually confirm or affirm that the games are targeted specifically at children, if by children we assume you mean 5-10 year olds. Just because the protagonists are usually ridiculously young that doesn't mean the audience is meant to be those of just that age. As a matter of fact I'd go as far as to say that there is no specific target audience - The games don't market themselves to anyone in particular, and the anime and the games have nothing to do with each other apart from being set in two versions of the same universe.

If I were to say the games were being marketed to anyone I'd say young teens, but history has proven time and time again that the audience of the Pokémon games is pretty equal in terms of both age and gender. Especially in newer generations we have an increased depth and impact to the stories, the games now including several themes that I wouldn't deem to be targeted at children.

The second part about this statement I find to be a bit off is the fact that no one here has the ability to make a call about whether or not the difficulty of the games is only going to go down. First of all, the company themselves did state that the decrease in difficulty was to be a favor to older fans who, because of general adult stuff, do not have time to spend hours and hours and hours grinding anymore - It's not to make the game more accessible to children. When I was a child I had no problem playing the old 'difficult' games, and nor has anyone I've ever known had any issues with them. There's nothing wrong with putting a bit of challenge in a game even if it's for children.

In conclusions: I don't believe the games are targeted specifically at children - I see no proof at all to that theory. And I firmly believe that there will be 'harder' Pokémon games at some point - Even if it is just a hard-mode that amps everything's levels up by 5 or something.   

They have said the target audience is children, that is the main reason they will not do DLC.

Nachtmahr

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on January 19, 2015, 02:56:03 PM
They have said the target audience is children, that is the main reason they will not do DLC.

There are a plethora of reasons why companies would choose not to make DLC other than their audience being children - Mostly it's just a matter of integrity and the company not being complete anti-consumer ***holes. Not doing DLC is an -amazing- thing, it's not something that 'caters' to children.

And if they can be quoted as saying their target audience is children I'd strongly assume that's coming from some PR or non-involved individual. If not, they are really shit at marketing their material.

Either way, if it's the lead designer I'll still call him out on being wrong about that.

As I said before they have also said that the lack of difficulty was to appeal to older players specifically, not children - And even if it was specifically a children's game it doesn't mean it should be devoid of all challenge.
~Await the Dawn With Her Kiss of Redemption, My Firebird!~
~You Were the Queen of the Souls of Man Before There Was the Word~

Dimir

Has anyone else here played the fan games Zeta/Omicron? They're not ROM Hacks so you don't have to download emulators, just the game file. You have two regions, a very interesting plot, difficult opponents and almost all the pokemon in a lengthy and detailed adventure. I've played the first region and would love to explain more to anyone who would be interested.
My PM Box is always open for those who wish to chat with someone.
Major fan of Magic The Gathering, Sailor Moon and Pokemon
O/O's: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221869.0

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Dimir on January 22, 2015, 11:10:08 AM
Has anyone else here played the fan games Zeta/Omicron? They're not ROM Hacks so you don't have to download emulators, just the game file. You have two regions, a very interesting plot, difficult opponents and almost all the pokemon in a lengthy and detailed adventure. I've played the first region and would love to explain more to anyone who would be interested.

The guy who built them is also working on Pokemon Insurgence.

Dimir

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on January 22, 2015, 01:04:52 PM
The guy who built them is also working on Pokemon Insurgence.

I can't believe I've never heard of Insurgence before. I must download this!

Mathim

Are there any Pokemon that make anyone just go, "WTF? Why bother?" Particularly from Black/White and X/Y.

For me in particular, I mean, I like creativity and such but Dunsparce is just kinda...WTF? The strangest appearance and, from all I can tell, completely useless for combat (I can't even tell if it's based on a real animal). Then there are the pairs where it's like, "You couldn't make these just a little bit different?" Plusle/Minun and those two firefly twin things leap to mind, but there are probably others from after Gen 3. Or Torkoal being the same basic thing as Squirtle, just seems like they aren't putting in the effort they should. Same thing with Chimchar even after Aipom was already created. Kinda one of the reasons I just stopped playing after Gen 4. If Nintendo ever does what some of these things you guys are talking about, where you have access to ALL Pokemon without needing to trade or whatever, that'll be when I pick up the handheld again and start the journey to catch 'em all. Of course, they'll have to have fixed all those other little nitpicks I've been mentioning first too.

Drake Valentine

I run magikarp sweep team with magikarp sweeping.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Zekromnomnom

I got Gen 1 gym badge pins for Christmas :)

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Dimir on January 22, 2015, 03:05:15 PM
I can't believe I've never heard of Insurgence before. I must download this!

Currently it is only a demo that goes to the third badge and I think there is a trainer with level 50 pokemon.  I've not completed the game but your starter is a delta pokemon.

Dimir

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on January 24, 2015, 03:29:44 AM
Currently it is only a demo that goes to the third badge and I think there is a trainer with level 50 pokemon.  I've not completed the game but your starter is a delta pokemon.

I started it and got the Delta starter, however it froze on me because of something regarding a Pokemon sprite (luckily I saved beforehand), so I have to see if I can fix that.