News:

Main Menu

FIFA World Cup

Started by Nico, June 07, 2010, 01:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ridcully

Phobetor

O. M. G I just read that to my co-workers and we died laughing.

Awesome! XD!

I'd like a re-cap for the England game too, Remiel! :D
Not Available for new Stories.
Taking a break from E.

Remiel

Here's my synopsis of the England / Algeria game.

Carragher: What the hell just happened?

Belhadj: Uh...I think we just had a football match.

Rooney:  Fuck! Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck.

Coach Fabio Capello:  That about says it all, really.

But seriously, where the hell is Rooney? It's like he hasn't shown up at all this World Cup.  Every time he's gotten the ball, he let someone take it away from him.  From a purely American standpoint, a 0-0 draw is definitely a fortunate result, but I feel bad for all the English fans.

Phobetor

Wohoo!!! USA still has a chance! Holla!!!! *does a dance*

You know what sucks major monkey balls though??
On Wednesday, their games are at the same time. WHAT THE HELL!!!! WHY?!?!?!??!
England vs Slovenia
USA vs Algeria
Both at 9 AM CST

This does NOT make me happy!!!! >_<
Taking a break from E.

consortium11

Quote from: GrapeTootsiePop on June 18, 2010, 04:07:04 PM
Wohoo!!! USA still has a chance! Holla!!!! *does a dance*

You know what sucks major monkey balls though??
On Wednesday, their games are at the same time. WHAT THE HELL!!!! WHY?!?!?!??!
England vs Slovenia
USA vs Algeria
Both at 9 AM CST

This does NOT make me happy!!!! >_<

There's actually a good reason for this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Germany_v_Austria_%281982%29

Due to previous results a 1-0 or 2-0 win for West Germany would result in both teams qualifying. Germany took a 1-0 lead and from that stage both teams just stopped playing and led to one of the most disgraceful matches in World Cup history. Now final group matches are played at the same time to prevent that.

As for today.

England were terrible. Truly terrible.

Ref's were just as bad. USA were cost a win by a terrible ref and the Germany match was ruined by a ref who wanted to get a record for most yellow cards.

World Cup is pretty wide open at this stage which is a good thing though...

MercyfulFate

That was officially one of the worst calls I've ever seen, and of course it screwed the US. I smell conspiracy.

Pixilicious

What the fuck happened to England out there today?  Seriously??  WTF!!!  That was really, really, really embarrassing... 

Rooney, Gerrard, and Lampard needs to get their asses back into it.  Carragher needs to leave the misbehaving to Rooney, too! 

-_-
Be a girl with a mind.  A woman with attitude. A lady with class

Kitsunetsuki

Remy, your re-cap of the USA v. Slovenia game is hysterical! ;D

England *shakes head* I just don't have the words...so disappointing
[tr]
[td]
O.Os~A.As (around but not seeking)
Ideas (up-to-date)
Poetry~Singing~Wiki~Characters
How the men of Elliquiy have ruined me[/td][/tr][/table]

Phobetor

http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/source-fifa-may-sit-slovenia-u-s-referee--fbintl_ro-referee061810.html

Apparently, the referee for the USA/Slovania game may be getting his ass handed to him. =/ I feel kinda bad since it's his first World Cup. But you know...if you can't do a job, then don't apply for it. >_<
Taking a break from E.

Cheka Man

England were crappycrappycrap against Algeria.

MercyfulFate

Quote from: GrapeTootsiePop on June 18, 2010, 08:57:42 PM
http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/source-fifa-may-sit-slovenia-u-s-referee--fbintl_ro-referee061810.html

Apparently, the referee for the USA/Slovania game may be getting his ass handed to him. =/ I feel kinda bad since it's his first World Cup. But you know...if you can't do a job, then don't apply for it. >_<

Putting someone that inexperienced in such an important game is mind boggling, because he blew it. The US scored that third goal, and he took it away and the US team didn't even know why! Maybe he had some bias against the US, because it wasn't like a replay judgement call, it was just made up.

Lord Mayerling

England reminds me of the 2004 USA basketball team. Great individual talent on paper, but no team chemistry. The National teams forget they aren't as good as the club teams in their home leagues.

And Rooney...that is a frustrated man...all he's doing is gooning defensemen.

Anyone seen Holland play? Talk about a good team no one is talking about.

Nico

It was painful to watch. Good god they were embarrassing.  >:(
I don't know whats wrong with them. Ten great players - but in one team they suck, and not in the good way.

Izu

I couldn't believe my eyes... England played like a bunch of not so good beginners and not like the world-best football players o.o' I don't know if it's already their 'old' age, injuries or what, but last night's game was beautiful only because Algeria made England look like jokes.

But at least it gives me some hope xD If England stays the same way Bulgaria might have a chance at getting past the qualification games for the next Euro Cup (they are in the same group). Pretty much England played just about on the same level as the Bulgarian team... which is not good. REALLY not good.

ONs and OFFs || M/M Search || Izu's A&A
...Like reflections on the page, the world's what you create...

Ridcully

Being German, I shouldn't yell too loud after the loss of yesterday. Being a Premier League Fan and always playing Arsenal in any soccer videogame I buy, I'm just plainly disappointed.

This might not be new to England, but it eventually has to happen: Gerrard or Lampard. As good as they are, one has to sit on the bench to make the team stronger. Gerrard and Lampard are great leaders, but two leaders besides each other doesn't work. Dot. Since Gerrard is the Captain, Lampard has to stay out.

Both of them are so afraid to do anything wrong, they lose all the class, this explosive way of playing which makes them so valuable for Liverpool or Chelsea.

I also think it was wrong to leave Walcott at home. The wing players don't do much pressure or give the idea they could actually score a goal.

Since ManU - Bayern Munich, Rooney isn't the same anymore. Not questioning his skills, but I don't understand why he runs deep into his own half to get the balls. He might think he's responsible for creating pressure, but how many times did they miss someone to pass the ball to in the offense then. He should play what he is - a forward.

This isn't going to be Englands World Cup.

At least I'm not French...:D Anelka to Domenech:

*cough, cough*

That's the spirit, Anelka!

Remiel

Is it just me, or have the refs been unusually liberal with the yellow cards?

Ridcully

Yellow cards, red cards...

I think the refs try to become the stars of this World Cup. Everybody wants to tbe the next Colina.

Nico

Quote from: Remiel on June 19, 2010, 11:08:18 AM
Is it just me, or have the refs been unusually liberal with the yellow cards?
Nope. I've noticed this as well. They're either not paying attention OR way too liberal with the cards. Today with Australia and Kewell, I'm not sure if red was necessary.

Ridcully

The red card wasn't justified at all. What's Kewell to do? Raise his arms so the ball can pass?

Nico

Quote from: Ridcully on June 19, 2010, 12:47:08 PM
The red card wasn't justified at all. What's Kewell to do? Raise his arms so the ball can pass?
Yeah, it looked like it.

Stan'

Denmark made an arse of that.

Remiel

Seriously, is this some kind of FIFA decree?  Stopping the action, sure.  Giving a free kick or a penalty kick, absolutely.  But, to my uneducated eyes, it looks like the refs are handing out cards for no reason at all.  It seems like all this penalizing is doing is stopping the players from just playing the game.

And it rewards the divers, like Ronaldo.  Has it always been like this?

Nico

I don't know if it always has been like this.

Of course, at the World Cup, people pay EXTRA attention, even to the really small things. It's a completely different situation when it's all or nothing. Everyone is nervous, of course, and maybe here and there people are overreacting, or misinterpreting things.

And yes, in defense for the referees. They don't have the super slow motion we have on TV and then fifty bazillion different angles. Sadly so, sometimes.

Heaven Sent Blossom

Quote from: Ridcully on June 19, 2010, 04:12:32 AM
Being German, I shouldn't yell too loud after the loss of yesterday. Being a Premier League Fan and always playing Arsenal in any soccer videogame I buy, I'm just plainly disappointed.

This might not be new to England, but it eventually has to happen: Gerrard or Lampard. As good as they are, one has to sit on the bench to make the team stronger. Gerrard and Lampard are great leaders, but two leaders besides each other doesn't work. Dot. Since Gerrard is the Captain, Lampard has to stay out.

Both of them are so afraid to do anything wrong, they lose all the class, this explosive way of playing which makes them so valuable for Liverpool or Chelsea.

I also think it was wrong to leave Walcott at home. The wing players don't do much pressure or give the idea they could actually score a goal.

Since ManU - Bayern Munich, Rooney isn't the same anymore. Not questioning his skills, but I don't understand why he runs deep into his own half to get the balls. He might think he's responsible for creating pressure, but how many times did they miss someone to pass the ball to in the offense then. He should play what he is - a forward.

This isn't going to be Englands World Cup.

At least I'm not French...:D Anelka to Domenech:

*cough, cough*

That's the spirit, Anelka!

Walcott just isn't as good as most people think he is, that's why he didn't make the cut. Now whether or not he is worse than Lennon or Wright-Phillips? I guess that's up for debate, but personally I wouldn't be devastated if he didn't build a career at Arsenal.

I think Rooney just lacks discipline (what a surprise) so when things aren't happening for the team he doesn't have the restraint to stick to his position and instead drops deeper and deeper in an effort to start moves rather than be the one to finish them. This is something that can work for better players, and hell sometimes it pays off for him, but mostly it just sees him put in pretty pedestrian performances.

On the plus side the "bones of glass" syndrome that afflicts all Arsenal attacking players didn't strike Nicky B (future Arsenal talisman I tells you!) today so that was nice. And his performance was decent, which was kind of the cherry on the cake of a stupidly exciting game.

consortium11

Quote from: Heaven Sent Blossom on June 19, 2010, 04:31:52 PM
Walcott just isn't as good as most people think he is, that's why he didn't make the cut. Now whether or not he is worse than Lennon or Wright-Phillips? I guess that's up for debate, but personally I wouldn't be devastated if he didn't build a career at Arsenal.

He's better than SWP but worse than Lennon. He went to Arsenal a season or two early... they should have loaned him back to Saints so he could get used to first team football at a more reasonable pace.