The Spark (5e, furry friendly, MtG inspired, noob friendly)

Started by TheSithChicken, January 18, 2018, 10:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSithChicken

Base Foundation

• The game will be using Dungeons and Dragons 5e system with the Fursona and Monstrous Races supplements.
        Note: You do not need either supplement to play. I can give you the information you need from them.
  • This is loosely based off of Magic the Gathering. No knowledge of the setting or game or it's lore are necessary.
  • This will feature worlds with the traditional fantasy races (elves, dwarves, etc), non-traditional (Anything from the monstrous manual and more), and anthropomorphic animals (this is where the Fursona book comes in as it rules for making any kind of anthro from aardvark to xenomorph). Seriously you can make anything with Fursona.
  • Homebrew material and third party material will be allowed on a case by case basis. There is some great stuff out there and I see no reason not to use it.
         Approved Homebrew and 3rd Party Materials: The Craftsman Class, Alchemist Class, The Compendium of Forgotten Secrets (Warlock Patrons), & Planeshift MtG DnD books.
  • This will be in the Non-consensual Exotic boards but more for furries and nonhumans than anything else.
  • I do not expect a super fast posting rate. If you can give me one or two posts a week I will be happy.
  • Characters will begin at 5th level and I will not be using alignments.

Basically I want you to be able to be whatever you really want to be. You want to be an elvish wizard? Sure. You want to be an anthro bear barbarian? Awesome. You want to be a seductive lamia alchemist? I can get down with that. You want to be a former weremushroom plantman gunslinger? Okay! By the by the last one is not just a random thing. It's one of the pregens that I made for a Wild West meets Mad Max meets Van Hellsing monster hunter game I run IRL. People seem to like my pregens - which is an option we can go with here if anyone wants to try it.

The Premise

The Multiverse - endless planes like sand on a beach. Moved by the tide and winds of universal laws. Shifted by the magics of planeswalkers. Bursting into life and suffering their final days. Every world unique. Each with it's own stories, it's own inhabitants, and it's own monsters. Each separated from each other by the gulfs of the Blind Infinities.

But you can reach across them. You are a planeswalker. You were one of the innumerable sentient peoples of the Multiverse but inside you lurked the Spark. In a moment of stress it ignited and handed you the key to great power. Destined now to have your name spoken in reverent tones or terrified whispers. Reborn now in a universe of ancient magics, arcane artifacts, monsters, and gods.

For the history of the Multiverse planeswalkers encountered each other at the whims of fate. Random encounters as they ranged far and wide across the planes. Bound together by hates and loves. Each a kingdom unto themselves building alliances and making enemies with even hand but never with a place to negotiate or relax among their own kind. Until the Solidus Kinship appeared. An exclusive club for planeswalkers with branches on many planes but all connecting to a city that is both a city and a plane all it's own built by planeswalkers. A neutral place for walkers to meet or exchange knowledge or for new walkers to learn what they are.

Alright. That doesn't actually tell you a lot about what we'll be doing and that is by design. See I want to create a campaign based around your characters because your characters are the stars of the story. So I will cater the story to you. I created the Solidus Kinship to allow you all to tie your characters together when you come from different planes - and also because I wanted to mash up the Continental from John Wick and Sigil from Planescape (I draw inspiration from a lot of different places). You don't have to use the Solidus Kinship for relationships between characters. I just wanted to give you a hand.

So what do I need to see from you? I don't need full sheets. I want characters and story hooks. Let me make up a template real quick.

Character
Name:
Race: This can be almost anything. Seriously. If you want to be a Mind Flayer I will work with you. You can be an intelligent Gelatinous Cube for all I care.
Class: If it's homebrew or third party I am going to have to look it over first.
Plane of Origin: Where you came from. This could be an established plane from Magic the Gathering, a normal DnD setting that you want to be from (fair warning that I hate Greyhawk and will only reluctantly use anything from it), or some place you create whole cloth (in which I will work with you to make sure it fits the game).
Description: Doesn't have to be much. I just want an idea of who your character is.
History: Doesn't have to be a novel.

Player
Expectations: What do you want to see in the game? Story or world wise.
Fears: What do you not want to see in game?

And, as always, feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Quietly

Wait - so we're playing as planeswalkers using the DnD system? That sounds really interesting and also kind of insane. Wait, not only that, but an entire group of Planeswalkers together? How will that work? Are there rules you have in mind to actually use these?
The devil in detail is in the details.

TheSithChicken

In order: Yes. Yes. Yes. Easily. Yes. The Planeshift books have the base rules for planeshifting.

Quietly

I see. I've reached the part that covers planeswalkers in the Plane Shift books. So we're effectively playing as standard DnD characters, with our spells and abilities being described as MtG style magic, but no mechanical difference and a plane shift ability built into our characters. Is this correct?
The devil in detail is in the details.

TheSithChicken

Zaer Darkwail

Here comes my char concept;

Character

Name: Lupas Whitefang
Race: Anthromorphic wolf (need help create race)
Class: Samurai 5, with Nitōjutsu Sensei archtype.
Plane of Origin: Plane of origin is called Rôkusho, which is similar to prime earth's feudal japan period expect inhabited by anthromorphic animals and having true magic in the world albeit practioners of said art are rare and small in number. Clans are divided by species and overall crossbreeding is considered serious taboo. So for this reason clans are in constant warfare of dominance over the main contignent (as arranged marriages do not work but same specied clans). Magic is viewed in fearful supersticion and any true spellcasters, even renown and revered ones, are politely shunned best cases. Worst case commoners burn witches in their villages if they can get away doing so. Or worse.
Description: (besides pic), Lupas Whitefang is 7'2'ft tall, which to his own species, is very tall. He wears usually straw hat and simple robes to disguise him wearing armor and carrying four weapons; two katanas and two wakisashis (they are two different sets). His eyes gleam by golden color and his fur is pure white and he bears golden magical brand in his forehead, which in his own world native language written in the brand descripes him as traitor-on-exile. Otherwise he wears regular feudal warrior fitting clothes, dark in color.
History: Lupas was heir to Whitefang clan, a powerful warrior clan renown for using dual blades which they refer call 'their steel fangs'. He as heir was skilled in clan's primary native style and renown for his speed and brutal strenght with his blades. But as usual in wolf specied clan he was not only heir; heirs compete with one another until victor is found and declared as successor by their father. So Lupas dreamed to get throne of the clan like very other heir and was more than eager to prove himself.

But things changed, as his clan was raiding on territory he chased some enemy bushi into local forest but he soon lost track of them and also lost in woods. Then in woods he heard scream, he followed it and found the bushis he had been tracking....they were attacking a another samurai, a female from another clan. His clan was not in war with given clan but even so he had no obligations to help her. But help her he did, he slew the bushis and it started then awkward sort friendship, then friendly rivalry and then into love. This secret relationship lasted for many years, normally it would resulted in Lupas asking father arrange the marriage but there was one problem; his beloved was from a fox species, so they were not same and crossbreeding was viewed as sinful lustful act by eyes of society. So they both kept their romance hidden.

This lasted until one his brothers found out about the affair, deciding eliminate one rivals for throne the brothers ambushed the couple and exposed their sins to the public! Because two great clans were involved, it led to tradition where clans trade prisoners. Fox clan punishing Lupas and Whitefangs punishing Lupas beloved. Lupas punishment was surprisingly mild, as fox clan patriarch understood the circumstances how romance came to be and was grateful for sparing his daugther, but not forgive sin he has committed so he branded him with golden symbol on forehead and denounce his rank in Whitefangs and no longer be part of said clan. Whitefangs punishment was much harsher; they tortured and then killed his beloved. The fox patriarch was furious for form punishment took, but in silent gesture he handed over the blades which his daugther once owned to Lupas Whitefang, as silent request which Lupas grimly accepted. No words traded but intention clear enough; Lupas turned against his own clan as renegade ronin who started ambush, kill and slay his former brethren as bloody vengeance.

Then when he was cornered by clan's military and hunters, outnumbered greatly he was grimly willing to die and fight until he no longer would stand....then his spark opened and allowed him means to escape the trap set up by his clan by traveling another world altogether?! Thus begun life of Lupas Whitefang, a planeswalking ronin for hire.

Player

Expectations: Exciting cross-world adventures, not familiar with magic of gathering universe so eager to explore/learn more along the way.
Fears: Game dying because too many people = not all posting regularly and no chance explore my own char setting/world (and settle score with his former clan).

Bibliophilia

Yay!  Finally a game where I can play a Puazi!  -gets to work on a template.-

TheSithChicken

@Zaer - You linked me to the Pathfinder Samurai class. Let me find the 5e Samurai class (it does exist - I just haven't read it yet) and send ityour way. In the meantime you might look into the Magic plane of Kamigawa even if only for some cool ideas for magical items or legendary characters and creatures for your own world. It could handle your story. Of course we can always go with your original plane. I just like presenting options.

As to your fears you don't have to worry about the posting issue. It's easy with this concept to move past player attrition. And you will definitely get the chance to you plane.

@Bibliophilia - Fantasy puazi? Consider me officially aroused intrigued.

Lockepick

Posting interest, though I don't know much about the MtG universe.
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Sain

How big a group are you looking for this again?

Damn it's gonna take ages to go through those character race options with so many fun ones available :D
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Zaer Darkwail

*face smack on desk*

I forgot this was 5th edition DnD game recruitment :P. Sorry, applied many pathfinder stuff recently so worked on autopilot. Anyways I think I may had found the samurai class for 5th edition, do you mean this one; https://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/2016_Fighter_UA_1205_1.pdf

If so then good, then my char is officially a 5th level fighter with samurai archtype and he focuses on dual wielding two katanas. Albeit fighting spirit is damn useful class feature but I need bonus action to use off hand weapon as well (would feel better if you can activate said feature as part of attack action).

Also thanks for the idea check Kamigawa, we could implement some elements from said plane to my original plane. Expect there is no great conflict between kami and mortals. But there could be oni, their servants, goblins and ogres, around which do cause general harm and all clans oppose it. But overall feel of the plane is same as in sengoku era in japan albeit it has lasted several centuries if not thousand years already. In past there may had been a unified figure which united all clans but said figure either betrayed it's people for power or was slain cowardly manner by samurai who became tyrant and everyone together opposed him, but after defeat of tyrant none the clans could agree who should sit on throne and conflict had existed since then.

There can be kami beliefs and worship and kami's may had approved the earlier united figure but so far kami's been silent about choosing new emperor or empress. That leaves only a single clan to prove it's superiority to others in forceful manner.

Quote from: Bibliophilia on January 19, 2018, 07:54:56 AM
Yay!  Finally a game where I can play a Puazi!  -gets to work on a template.-

*big upvote for idea*

Lockepick

I'm definitely considering a warlock given all those neat patron ideas -- is there any way for us to look at Fursona's races without buying the book? I mean...  I guess I can just pick a race and go with whatever mechanics are in play, but I typically like some cohesion between race/class?
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

silentwalrus227

I’m definitely interested, though I would prefer to have some knowledge on species (traits, bonuses, penalties, etc) so I can make a cohesive class/race/background combo.

Bibliophilia

Okay, Sith, since there are no Puazi in the books, would you be cool with me using the stats from one of the Fursona races and just 'reskinning' it as a Puazi?

I'm looking through the races, and I'll definitely run the idea by you, first.  It'll likely be amphibious, aquatic or something along those lines.  Also, are you cool with it having limited shapeshifting capabilities?  It wouldn't affect stats or anything.  I just prefer playing my Puazi with the ability to shift between male and female sex traits, including opting for a combination of their choosing.  All changes would be strictly cosmetic, though.

TheSithChicken

@Lockepick - No knowledge needed! Also I can modify any race as needed to fit the player's concept. What would you like to play race wise? Literally any animal or creature from the Monstrous Manual are open.

@Sain - Probably max out around 8 or so players. That way there is some buffer against player attrition.

@Zaer - There is now an updated and rebalanced version of the Samurai in Xanathar's Guide to Everything. I'll get that to you probably tomorrow as I am going to be busy doing a late birthday celebration for most of today since I was pissing out a rock on my actual birthday.

@silentwalrus - See my response to Lockepick. Tell me what kind of things you would be interested in playing and I'll bring up some stats. Listing everything in Fursona and Monstrous Races would be insane for me as there are close to 350 races between the two - not to mention rules for making my own races using both.

@Bibliophilia - I can just write the race up. Amphibious is an interesting choice as I understand that they are meant to be cervine. Probably go with Charisma and Dex for bonuses. I'll look up some options and then we can work it out together. I'm flexible.

Chulanowa

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on January 19, 2018, 10:29:18 AM
*face smack on desk*

I forgot this was 5th edition DnD game recruitment :P. Sorry, applied many pathfinder stuff recently so worked on autopilot. Anyways I think I may had found the samurai class for 5th edition, do you mean this one; https://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/2016_Fighter_UA_1205_1.pdf

If so then good, then my char is officially a 5th level fighter with samurai archtype and he focuses on dual wielding two katanas. Albeit fighting spirit is damn useful class feature but I need bonus action to use off hand weapon as well (would feel better if you can activate said feature as part of attack action).

Also thanks for the idea check Kamigawa, we could implement some elements from said plane to my original plane. Expect there is no great conflict between kami and mortals. But there could be oni, their servants, goblins and ogres, around which do cause general harm and all clans oppose it. But overall feel of the plane is same as in sengoku era in japan albeit it has lasted several centuries if not thousand years already. In past there may had been a unified figure which united all clans but said figure either betrayed it's people for power or was slain cowardly manner by samurai who became tyrant and everyone together opposed him, but after defeat of tyrant none the clans could agree who should sit on throne and conflict had existed since then.

There can be kami beliefs and worship and kami's may had approved the earlier united figure but so far kami's been silent about choosing new emperor or empress. That leaves only a single clan to prove it's superiority to others in forceful manner.

*big upvote for idea*

There's a Samurai martial tradition for Fighter in Xanathar's GUide to Everything, if you'd ratehr use published material than third party / homebrew.  :-)

I'm not sure yet what I wanna go with.

Bibliophilia

-nods.-  I was thinking of the Salamander subrace as a decent option for basing her stats off of.  I was also thinking of going Monk.  It seems to fit the Puazi race in my head...maybe it's 'cause of the naked thing.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Chulanowa on January 19, 2018, 11:09:51 AM
There's a Samurai martial tradition for Fighter in Xanathar's GUide to Everything, if you'd ratehr use published material than third party / homebrew.  :-)

I'm not sure yet what I wanna go with.

I will see what Xanathar's Guide version looks like first. Overall got inspired by the pic alone go for dual wielding samurai build.

TheSithChicken

@Bibliophilia - I'll look that up when I get the chance.

@Zaer - From what I read it's just a rebalanced version of the UA one but I'll know better once I grab my Xanthar's Guide and actually read it.

Zaer Darkwail

*nods*

And also need stats for the wolf anthromorhp/furry as well then. Hoping they favor strength or con (as either one is good for fighter).

TheSithChicken

@Zaer - Here are the baseline stats. They can be modified if you aren't super happy with them.

Base Canine

Ability Increase: Your Wisdom score increases by 2.

Keen Smell: You gain advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks related to scent.

Natural Weapons: Your unarmed strikes are augmented by sharp fangs. Your bite is treated as a light finesse weapon, and deals 1d6 piercing damage + the relevant modifier. Your bite can be used as part of two-weapon fighting. You cannot use your bite attack if your mouth is full.

Pack Hunting: Your are expert in coordinating attacks with your allies, exposing your enemies’ weak points, and leaving them vulnerable. As a bonus action, select one enemy you can see within melee range. All melee attacks your allies make against this enemy do an additional 2 damage until the start of your next turn.

Wolf

Size: Your size is medium.

Speed: Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

Ability Increase: Your Strength score increases by 1.

Demoralizing Cry: As an action, you let out a frightful howl. All enemies within 100 feet that can see and hear you must make a Wisdom saving throw (DC 8 + your Charisma modifier + your proficiency bonus) or become frightened until the end of your next turn. You must finish a short or long rest before using this trait again.

@Bibliophilia - I have no objection to the Salamander subrace. It just doesn't feel very... Puazi-like to me.

Bibliophilia

Character
Name:  N'mah L'min (Nee-mah Lemon)
Race: Puazi
Class: Monk
Plane of Origin:  M'ju Oern Val - The race of Puazi call a moon orbiting the dead planet Nest their home.  Beneath the light of a blue star, Crys, they inhabit floating cities built upon the vast, unending ocean that covers the surface of the moon.  Rising from the warm waters are towering forests of coral that provide the only dry 'land' on the moon.  Vast beds of kelp and seaweed in all manner of colors serve as the Puazi people's main source of food and building supplies, along with the dazzling array of fish and aquatic mammals that populate the ocean.
Description: N'm is a slender, deceptively petite creature with red-orange and black skin, black hair, humanoid features and a surprisingly sensual shape.  Her - for she tends to spend the majority of her time in her feminine form and prefers feminine pronouns - thick, velvety hair is significantly softer than human hair, denser and more like the pelt of an aquatic mammal.  It falls to the points of her jaw when she is in her feminine form, but can be significantly shorter when she shifts.  The horns growing from her brow change their shape with her shift, as well, and the dark markings on her skin alter as well.
History:  The puazi are a tribal people, their civilization advanced but no less fraught with troubles than any other civilization.  N'mah is the youngest child of their tribe's leader, called Y'chk, called Wise One, called Guardian.  Among their people the gift of planeswalking was legend, unseen for hundreds - possibly thousands - of years, but lesser magick was common and it was common for the Y'chk to take the Wyld, the puazi who took on the role of the tribe's spiritual and mystical leader, as their companion.  N'mah was born of the Y'chk and the Wyld, beneath a sky of rainbow fire and silver rain, as the milking beasts lowed from their pens.

She was watched over by her people, regarded with reverence and expectation that unconsciously weighed upon her child's spirit.  The Wyld insisted that her fits of isolation and brooding were indications of her ancient soul, her innate connection to the Splay, an abstract word for an idea that encompassed god, magic, collective conscious, the universe and the worlds beyond worlds.  Perhaps this was true, but N'mah did not feel like an ancient soul, she could not sense any such connection, and only knew that at times she grew to dimly despise the light that shone in other's eyes as they looked on her.  At times she had to swim as far and fast from other puazi as she physically could, or else she felt she might scream at them.

She spent more and more time in the sea, exploring the mysterious shadows in the coral and frolicking with the neon fish that darted through the crystal waters.  She grew up strong; a fit and fine example of her people, with a quick mind and adventurous spirit.  When she came of age, she announced her intention to join the military as a monk, which caused shock among her people and sent the Wyld into a tizzy.  The Y'chk, however, was pleased by her choice, being a very pragmatic soul who only remotely believed in the hoodoo the Wyld went on and on about.  Yes, the Splay was real.  Yes, magic existed.  But, in their mind, one did not truly survive by such high ideas.  The tribe lived and worked by the sweat of their brow and the strain of their muscles, they survived by the blood in their veins and the weapons they employed.  So, with the Y'chk's blessing, N'mah began her training.

The only consolation that the Wyld took from her choice was that N'mah would be connecting to the Splay through her militant training.  Meditation, ki, the understanding of such things as the third eye and the ways in which the Splay infused her with power...these were included in her training.  It was through this that N'mah came to understand the ways in which one might stride across worlds and explore planes beyond the one in which she was born.  She found a renewed excitement at the thought of leaving her world behind, where life had always felt too heavy upon her shoulders, and once more range through coral reefs seeking unimagined corners and new experiences.

NSFW

Player
Expectations: I'm excited to explore lots of different worlds and each character's individual storylines within those worlds.  Fighting enemies created by the player and GM, exploring dungeons in wonderful, exotic locations, finding treasure of unknown, mythical origins...
Fears: The same tired cliches and boring fantasy tropes with nothing new or interesting to make them fresh and exciting.

Bibliophilia

Well, Sith, I hadn't found the rules for creating your own race when I suggested going that route.

I think we can figure out a way to make the Puazi into a viable race with their own stuff.  I've never homebrewed anything in D&D, though, so you'll have to bear with me.

Right, so I agree that Dex and Charisma seem the best options for them.  And that kinda fits the amphibious thing.  So, Dexterity +2 and Charisma +1? 

Sain

Character
[

Name: Autumn
Race:
Half faun Elf
+2 Wis
+1 Cha

Medium size, 30ft speed

-Darkvision
-Celver Learning - Language: Sylvan, Skill: Deception
-Helpless Appearance
-Fey Ancestry: You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can’t put you to sleep.

Class: Dream Circle Druid
Plane of Origin: From a place in Eberron where Feywilds often meets with the Material Plane. Her home stands at the crossroads of such a place. It's a small wooden hut in the forest; sometimes in Eberron, sometimes in the Feywilds. There she has cultivated a beautiful garden of exotic things from other planes and got really mad when both Feywild and Mortal idiots decided to come trample through it.
Description: Autumn is elf-ish in appearance but with something fluffier from the Feywilds rubbed off on her. Or it could be druidic magic. You're unlikely to ever find out. She doesn't much focus on it and has a tendency to shift the spotlight from herself into making sure others are comfortable and hearing their woes. She feel a little quiet and may seem endearing in her efforts to hurry sympathize with others. But, don't be fooled. Though she may not dare dare act upon her instincts to get friendly with close ones to her, she dares something else. There's a touch of Fey ruthlessness and deceit in her that manifests in almost unexpected bursts of carefully calculated cruelty. If you saw it she'll just stare with a smile and wink and you'll agree later not to talk about it. Her spirit animal is probably an over protective and morally questionable fluffy grandma that just likes to do anything she can to take care of her loved ones.
History: Once she had a teacher who taught her how to be between mortal and fey. Then she did not. Autumn slowly built a beautiful little hut to stand in the ruins of their home. It was a very nice place somewhere between Eberron and the Feywilds, just like her. Autumn wandered both realms, but never too far. She always loved to make the unknown her own. Little pieces of both (only the most beautiful) were brought home and planted around the little home. Wonder around it grew and with it little wonders taught her, step by step. For some years she was known as the mysterious Fey Elf whose hut would smell of sweet buns and who might invite you for a visit if you wandered too far into the woods. She might have stayed there forever if it was up to her.
   Alas, one day a group of pixie hooligans happened upon the hut when Autumn was out hunting blueberries. Not a problem as such. Pixies like to visit her. However, their visit coincided with that of a party of mortal adventurers. What is a pack of pixies surrounding a magical hut at the border of Feywild to an adventurer? A cue to draw sword! Autumn returned to find her garden gone, her hut half gone. No words could depict the anger and frustration - the need to erase it, need to be gone, the need for a spark.
   New wonders found in worlds beyond hers have eased Autumn's frustrations. She loves to travel to gather new things to bring back home and has finally found some others caught between worlds with whom she might share some of the smaller wonders of life (as well as the risks of adventure).

Player
Expectations: Exploring the planes with a party of bunch of weirdos. The hilarity that will ensue when such different characters meet and a contrast provided by awesome background places and dangerous adventure.
Fears: Getting stuck in some scenes for too long.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Zaer Darkwail

Fine with canon race for my char then. Base canine, wolf subtype. So +1 Str and +2 wis (if they kept UA material mostly intact then wisdom has some uses for samurai as it adds for some social situations and benefits for perception and scent stuff as well).