A interest call: 3.5 DnD Unique Devil/Demon Campaign in Hell/Abyss (closed FULL)

Started by Zaer Darkwail, December 08, 2011, 06:13:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

who149

Quote from: Kunoichi on December 12, 2011, 06:29:56 PM
Well, you see, when a dragon without an innate alternate form gets old enough to use the polymorph spell...
Makes sense, the Shambling Mound thing will still always haunt my dreams. I'll go look for another template, because I'd like to be able to get through doors every now and then, It would also be fun to seduce my own food.

Quote from: SomeGuy on December 12, 2011, 06:33:34 PM
Huh, is there any reason not to be Half-Doppelganger and/or Half-Satyr?
I'd assume it would stop making sense after a while, you can only really have one half.. unless your kinda an Ass. Plus you have characteristics and I assume there would be negatives as well
Been away, now i'm back. Updated based off changes in my life.

Ons and offs!

TheGlyphstone

In this game? Not really, but it's hardly approaching gamechanging power. It's +1 to your Will save and free Alternate Form for no downsides, pretty much the only way to get the latter for monsters who don't have it without costing real CR.

I skipped Half-Satyr mainly because it gives nothing useful but a headbutt attack, and I've got plenty of natural attacks already.

QuoteI'd assume it would stop making sense after a while, you can only really have one half.. unless your kinda an Ass. Plus you have characteristics and I assume there would be negatives as well
Even in 'normal' games, a Half-X template can be interpreted as Quarter-X or such...otherwise you couldn't be a Half-Dragon Half-Elf (as opposed to a Half-Dragon Elf, something entirely different), and both are legal combinations.

who149

Alright, switch to become a Mature Adult Dragon, as to get a Higher Variety of spells, including that Poly-morph spell.

Ons and offs!

TheGlyphstone

Except you can't actually get Polymorph or its derivatives, Zaer said. Only Alternate Form and such are allowed.

Kunoichi

...Huh.  Okay, so, if the Demilich template gets me undead traits, but the Lichfiend template, by Zaer's ruling, doesn't cause me to have the undead type, does that mean that I still have a Constitution score?

who149

hmm *strokes chin* I think I can see why some templates and races are not normally playable or combinable. And I have decided that me having an alternate form, is slowly becoming less and less important, I think i'm fine with being a very large Dragon constantly. 

Ons and offs!

TheGlyphstone

You'll want it if your base race is any bigger than Large, if just for the practicality of moving around in civilized areas if you visit them without the intention of devouring everyone.

who149

True..

Question, would I be able just take Alternate Form for +1 CR? It would cut out the Middle-man for taking a pointless Template~

Ons and offs!

TheGlyphstone

If you really, really want to...but there's no point in wasting a perfectly good CR point for a single ability you can get for no CR. My character has the Half-Doppleganger template and has never even seen a Doppleganger in his tens of thousands of years of existence, let alone being descended from one; it simply expresses his innate ability to change shape to a limited degree.

This entire game is combining pointless and nonsensical templates in rules-impossible combinations to get awesome monsters.

ShadowFox89

Very true. I'm tempted to drop Shadow and Half-Farspawn for Monster of Legend and Half-Doppleganger.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

who149

Hmm, alright. But is there anything else Besides Half-Doppelganger that has it? It would be kinda weird if everybody had it.

Ons and offs!

SomeGuy

It's fairly common for powerful creatures to have alternate forms they use for travel or going unnoticed.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 12, 2011, 07:21:28 PM
Very true. I'm tempted to drop Shadow and Half-Farspawn for Monster of Legend and Half-Doppleganger.

Dropping for MoL is good, but Half-Doppleganger is a CrR +0 adjustment.

Quote from: who149 on December 12, 2011, 07:23:32 PM
Hmm, alright. But is there anything else Besides Half-Doppelganger that has it? It would be kinda weird if everybody had it.
It's the only way to get Alternate Form that doesn't cost CR, and thus actual abilities/combat power. And like SomeGuy said, it's practically a requirement for powerful creatures, particularly those larger than Medium just for getting around and fitting into buildings and such.

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

who149

Alright, I'll take it. This is by far the most Templates I have ever added too any PC, my previous Record being 0.

Half-Doppelganger Ravening Dragon (Red) Baatezu.

Hm, maybe I'll trade 4hd for Dire.. nah that would be kinda dumb.

Ons and offs!

TheGlyphstone

Shadow Blend is an incredibly good defensive ability, though. As it's written, even True Seeing can't penetrate the concealment it gives as long as you meet the conditions of staying out of direct sunlight or a Daylight spell.

@Who: How old is the dragon? Half-Doppleganger is CR+0, Ravening is CR+1. Being a Great Wyrm Red would get you to CR27 even, so I assume that's what you picked.

Kunoichi

Quote from: SomeGuy on December 12, 2011, 07:08:11 PM
I believe so, yes.

Excellent.  Then I still have regeneration. ;D

Edit: Although, with immunity to nonlethal damage as well, that might get a little powerful...

TheGlyphstone

Ooh, regeneration. I need a way to bypass that, since I fight with natural weapons and Regeneration is all over the place for monsters of our CR and caliber.

It's only too powerful if it's Regeneration/-. My solution for enemies with Regen is Vile Natural Attack...it might take a few hours, but if I can get them in a stranglehold, I'll kill them one gods-damned hit point at a time.

SomeGuy

Oh no, a little powerful in our CR 27 game? Whatever will we do.   ;)

Edit; Vile Natural Attack is a good idea, you don't mind if I copy that do you?

TheGlyphstone

I know I copied at least one thing from you (can't remember what, though), so go ahead.

who149

Seriously O.o we could all go punch gods if we wanted too.

O.O OMG. I forgot to add my constitution too my HP.

Hmmm. I think I might want to trade some of that HD for actual Aging.

I feel like I can only barely beat Thor in a Fight.

Ons and offs!

Kunoichi

What about finding some way to secrete that Regen-stopping poison from Dungeonscape?

SomeGuy

Eh, at this level there are some 'basics' which need to be covered, some ways are just better then others, so it's not unusual to see multiple instances pop up.

As long as you don't end up really close to what I have, 'feel free to use anything as inspiration/directly copy if it helps' is my general view.

Edit; Eh, didn't say that very well. But you get what I mean... I hope.

TheGlyphstone

Thor. Let's see..

60HD (Barb 20/Fighter 20/Outsider 20), total of 1260 HP. Always goes first in initiative, auto-hits AC 114 or less with five attacks per turn dealing 116 points of damage per hit. Armor Class 77, auto-passes any save with a DC of 79 or less.

Pretty sure he'd kick the ass of anyone here, and a sufficiently cheesy level 20 wizard would oneshot him. >:(

@Kun: Trollbane is an Alchemical item, actually, not a poison.