"talking to god..."

Started by mannik, December 26, 2008, 03:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mannik

I did not talk to god...I never have, and probably never will.

"Talking to God" was the title of an article I found while stumbling drunkedly through the internet.

The article is written by an athiest, who claims he had a conversation with god while riding on a train.

I was quite surprised by the article, as every answer "God" privided the author with is logical and reasonable. I am willing to admit in the possibility that he did indeed talk to god. If nothing else you will probably find it interesting and posibly entertaining.....I particularly liked the explination of why god allows war....

"I talked to god article"

Sabby

...I enjoyed that more then I thought I would... the whole thing comes across as completely believable and realistic.

Mnemaxa

Fairly interesting. 

Reasonable people are always the most interesting converts....

Though what he's been converted to is kind of up for grabs.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

Caeli

ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Sabby

I've always been an athiest, but after reading that... I could totally believe what this 'God' is proposing.

And also... your display pic XD is it supposed to be Frieza in armor? *laughs*

HairyHeretic

So, he was having a chat with Star Trek's Q then? :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Pumpkin Seeds

Kind of felt I wouldt enjoy that one.

Oniya

Quote from: Mnemaxa on December 26, 2008, 05:44:06 AM
Fairly interesting. 

Reasonable people are always the most interesting converts....

Though what he's been converted to is kind of up for grabs.

I'm not sure he has been converted.  If you click back to his home page, that link is filed under the 'Fiction?' category.  Also, by acknowledging that the stranger in his story might have been God, doesn't that make him more agnostic than atheist?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Moondazed

Interesting read... thank you for sharing :)
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

mannik

Quote from: HoHoHoniya on December 26, 2008, 09:42:24 AM
I'm not sure he has been converted.  If you click back to his home page, that link is filed under the 'Fiction?' category.  Also, by acknowledging that the stranger in his story might have been God, doesn't that make him more agnostic than atheist?

He may have filed this under 'Fiction' merely so he wouldn't be called insane. Go around telling people you had a legitimate one on one conversation with god, and they will probably call you such. But say you 'Thought about' having a one on one conversation with God, and reactions will be completely different....weather he actually did or not may be open to debate, but either way the article was very interesting.

Pumpkin Seeds

I dunno, there is a distinct impression there that is this fiction.  Like him writing about what he would view meeting God was like in his eyes.  Not sure this is supposed to be..."I really meet God."

Will

I would really have to say fiction.  Regardless, it was very enjoyable and most all of the points were valid.  Thanks for sharing! :)
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

The Dandy

Rather entertaining and I do believe that it is a worker of fiction designed to convey the authors philosophy and how he would view a meeting with god.

That being said, if god really is like the fellow in his story then I am quite glad to be outside of his graces.
"What does it matter the duration of the damnation to he who tastes the infinite instant of pleasure!" -[Baudelaire]

mannik

I do find it quite probable that this is a work of fiction...however I hold on to the belief of the possibility that it is not, simply because my way of thinking kinda forces me to.

I can't help but think, What is so special about all the other prophets' claims that god had spoken to them? Numbers?....it is true that a large number of people agree that's what happened....but that wasn't always so...every religion initially started with one person, or at least a very small group of people, and his/their one claim that was initially scoffed at.

If it was indeed possible for those prophets to speak to god, why not this man? Because he describes god as a logical, rational entity who has a clear and understandable goal?

I can see no logical reason why "God" could not talk to this man, so I have to assume it is at least possible.

Pumpkin Seeds

There is always the possibility of the far fetched, but it is the probability of an action that we must accommodate.  That God made sense does not null and void the possibility that this man actually had a conversation with God.  I think few people have a true problem with the “character” of God in the story.  Personally I did not care for the answers and found a few problems with them, but that is my own simple thoughts.  Sometimes flawed answers are indeed the answer and we simply must learn to understand them.

The author’s writing paints God in a very familiar fashion to himself.  This is to say that God seems to fit nicely with how the author views the world.  I suppose an argument could be made that God has crafted himself in this image, but the answers also seem to agree.  So basically God seemed to fit nicely into his little view of the world and everything was cool.  That the author continued to be an atheist afterward only says as much. 

Also, there would not be a debate over this story’s truth if the author claimed to have spoken to a hedgehog.  We would laugh and say that’s a good story, if indeed it were a good story.  Yet none of us would attempt to say this is how hedgehogs feel or believe.  That he makes a reasonable argument about God’s motives and designs does not make the story anymore plausible.  He has merely set down his thoughts about the Creator into a story and told people, so they can see what he believes.

Following that train of logic also give credence that the writers of the Bible had direct contact with God.  Their claims are far older and have had a profound impact on human civilization.  Also, so far as we know, they did not put their writings in the fiction section.  Probability says they didn’t, but there is that possibility.  There is also the possibility that the men that blew up the World Trade Center did commune with their God.  A possibility that insane people do see something we don’t comprehend.  A possibility that I will one day win the lottery.  Probability though says I shouldn’t start planning my world trip.

mannik

Quote from: Bottlerockets Askew on December 29, 2008, 07:19:01 AM
....A possibility that insane people do see something we don't comprehend....
They do! Those are called hallucinations.....

Seriously though, I do see your point...and I believe you see mine (anything is possible).

QuoteThe author's writing paints God in a very familiar fashion to himself.  This is to say that God seems to fit nicely with how the author views the world.  I suppose an argument could be made that God has crafted himself in this image, but the answers also seem to agree.  So basically God seemed to fit nicely into his little view of the world and everything was cool.  That the author continued to be an atheist afterward only says as much. 
I believe that is something everyone should do. No two people are the same. Their brains function differently, they learn differently, they see things differently. No one description of God can fit into everyones world. A person's concept of god should grow and develop, just as their understanding of the world around them grows and develops. That is actually the primary problem I have with most organized religions. They offer little or no room for personal interpretation. It is either their way, or blasphemy.........(I'm sorry, but I just can't help it. I have to say...) it is possible the author still claims to be atheist because there is currently no religion that accurately describes his new found beliefs.

And as far as probability over possibility...consider that it was highly, HIGHLY improbable that the planet earth would happen to form just the right distance away from the sun to support life, but it did. It was even more improbable that life would ever form on earth, but it did. I even believe it would have been highly improbable for the human race to have been able to survive long enough to develop intelligence and rule the planet, but we did. (compaired to most of the animal kingdom we are slow, weak, squishy creatures with no natural defenses of any kind...the perfect prey.)

You should not completely dismiss any possibility simply because it is improbable. Our existence was only possible, because of a multitude of improbable occurrences. You should always plan for both, the probable and the possible. Hypothetically speaking, It is improbable that your kids will ever be struck by lightning, does that mean you will let them play outside during an electrical storm? Of course not, because the possibility still exists.

Oniya

Quote from: mannik on December 29, 2008, 08:40:45 AM
it is possible the author still claims to be atheist because there is currently no religion that accurately describes his new found beliefs.

Except that 'atheist' specifically means not believing in a god.  'Agnostic' (lit. without knowledge) would be the proper term for someone who admits to the possible existence of a god, but believes that such a being is beyond human knowledge.  Oddly enough, since writing this out, I believe he might be best classed as 'gnostic', since he expresses that his god is quite understandable, if you just know enough.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

The Overlord

Started out interesting, about halfway in it quickly lost its entertainment value.

Kudos to the author I suppose, it's a decent piece of fiction with a religious bent. In the words of Dave Mustaine: Nice story... Tell it to Reader's Digest.

The Overlord

Quote from: HoHoHoniya on December 29, 2008, 10:15:25 AM
'Agnostic' (lit. without knowledge) would be the proper term for someone who admits to the possible existence of a god, but believes that such a being is beyond human knowledge. 

Actually, that's the definition of an agnostic in Donnie Darko, but that doesn't quite cover it for us all. For me at least, an agnostic doesn't necessarily believe the true nature of god is beyond our means to discover, but it's darned well not the conventional (and convenient) dogma the establishments like to push.

Oniya

I'm actually not familiar with Donnie Darko, just going with the Greek etymology.  Either way, if he's acknowledging the possible existence of god, I think that moves him out of 'atheism' (lit. without god). 

Cherri Tart

why is it that if you say you've talked to God, it's immediately assumed you'remaking it up or nuts?  just curious.  maybe He really is out there and we talk to Him from time to time without realizing it.  i know that i talk to people who aren't there, my parents, from time to time, and i'm not crazy, so why not God?
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Mnemaxa

God/dess is the little voice inside your head that answers the questions you ask yourself sometimes.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

Oniya

Somebody once said 'When we talk to god, we call it prayer, and no one thinks it unusual.  When god talks to us, we call it schizophrenia, and everyone thinks we belong in the looney bin.'

Or something like that.

The Overlord

Quote from: HoHoHoniya on December 29, 2008, 03:07:44 PM
I'm actually not familiar with Donnie Darko, just going with the Greek etymology.  Either way, if he's acknowledging the possible existence of god, I think that moves him out of 'atheism' (lit. without god). 

Only reason I quoted Darko was I watched the movie recently and it came to mind because his therapist gave that exact definition of an agnostic. Even if that's the Greek definition too I refute it wholeheartedly. My point is that not all agnostics believe god, or a creator or a higher power, whatever, is in some 'unknowable realm'. As an agnostic I believe there's no evidence for the conventional definitions of god that world religions push. I also believe in remaining open-minded enough that one cannot necessarily say god is not out there; as the ufologists like to say, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

As an amateur astronomer who follows science and cosmology closely we're ever closer to progress in figuring out the origins and structure of the universe, and if god made the universe, it brings us closer to insight on god. To some of the devout, me and others like me are daring to ask questions we shouldn't be asking, but again there's zero evidence that any higher power allows or forbids; this is a very convenient story from the establishment to keep the masses from asking too many questions.

Atheism is fairly clear cut however, there's no room at all for a higher power in the philosophy.

afina89

Nice article.i enjoyed but i couldn't understand why you are not talking to god?

::) ::)