Arkham Horror - Testing the waters for a game

Started by Praxis, December 02, 2006, 06:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Praxis

So there's a boardgame called Arkham Horror.

Here's the rules.

http://fantasyflightgames.com/PDF/arkhamrules.pdf

and

http://fantasyflightgames.com/PDF/DH_rules_english.pdf

For those of you not into rules, that's fine...you can play blind which might be a bit more exciting for you albeit a bit confusing to start.

Make no mistake, this IS a board game, but I tinkered up an online version on a message board for my friends and I to play but it never flew because we all got busy.

There's a bit more I need to type up and ready, but before I commit to it I wanted to see if people might be interested.

Basically you take the role of an investigator and you post like you would in any game.  You need to discover which "Greater Old One" is trying to break into reality, and stop it from happening.

Tentacles, vampires, zombies, monsters and demons...

Which might lead some of you to thinking, "Cool, but what about the sex?"

The sex would occur in a sex thread detailing the encounter you had with the other player, or extra-dimensional creature.  So if you want to have sex.  You can.  If you don't.  You don't. :)

In fact we might need some extra players to play the role of monsters and NPCs in the game to flesh out combat encounters and sex scenes if that floats an individual's boat.

I already have the "untested" mechanics worked out, so all you would need to do is sign up, and jump in.

It's a fun little board game, albeit a bit complicated but I'd be handling all the mechanics so all you need to do is focus on fleshing out your character and immersing yourself in the wackiness of H.P. Lovecraft's writing.

So...nothing solid yet, but just checking to see if anyone would be interested.

L8R;

S.

slavetomydesire

Oh boy! I love Cthulhu. Lovecraft kept me up late at night many a time when I was in junoir high and high school. I'd love to play even if I don't get raped by a deep one. Mmm the potential for tantacle sex with a shoggoth, yummy.

Spookie Monster

If you'd be handling all of the mechanics, I'm definitely in.  I'm a massive Lovecraft fan.

Spel
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

Praxis

Thanks for the interest so far.  :)

I was working on it over the weekend and I think if we could get three more players it would be an interesting game to play.

Stay tuned.

Cosmo_ac

Just curious but what time setting will the game take place in?  Ie, 1926 or will it be a current day setting?

Ajoxer

This... might very well be the coolest board game I have ever seen.

Ever.
I have a shock collar, designed for maximum Player/GM efficiency. If you see that I have not properly been fulfilling my duties in posting regularly, or a game being held back because I haven't posted, PM me and give me hell!

Dreamy

I must confess to liking the idea, I just don't know how well it would mesh with my schedule or my intention to maybe not join too many games. I'll sign up as a 'maybe' for either a slot as a player or aide while you see if you can get a full cast together without me, if that would be fine?

Spookie Monster

Incidentally, Ender, I'm willing to play both a traditional investigator and a monster within the same game.  I'm interested in playing the game proper, but I'm also interested in ravishing a couple of hot tomatoes (which is only natural for a cookie-loving bugger like myself).  I do understand that we'll still need more players if we are in fact going to play, but I just wanted to make a mention of my eagerness to get involved in both aspects of the proposed game.

Quote from: Dreamy on December 07, 2006, 04:01:30 AMI must confess to liking the idea, I just don't know how well it would mesh with my schedule or my intention to maybe not join too many games...

Oh, yeah.  I know what that's like... ;D

Actually, I have a question before I go: Any idea of how long the game itself would last?  Potential players might be more inclined to join up if they knew how long they'd need to commit...

Spel
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs

Dreamy

Quote from: Spel on December 07, 2006, 04:38:09 PM
Oh, yeah.  I know what that's like... ;D

8)

-

Another relevant question might be the speed of the game? A game with many players can easily be slow enough that it really isn't much of a strain. (Except trying to remember what went on last)

ZK

Sounds rather interesting. I love H.P. Lovecraft. ^^
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Praxis

Alright!  The interest looks solid.

I'll answer everyone's questions tomorrow as it was a brutal day and I need to rack.

Answers will be forthcoming on the 'morrow.

:)

Ajoxer

I have a shock collar, designed for maximum Player/GM efficiency. If you see that I have not properly been fulfilling my duties in posting regularly, or a game being held back because I haven't posted, PM me and give me hell!

Celestial Goblin

Praxis

Alright guys.  I've been having some trouble getting Elliquiy to show up at work and I'm actually busier at home than I am at work.

So...I haven't forgotten OR disappeared.  More to follow, but things are sortof aligned against me at the moment.

More to follow.

S.

Praxis

So...I can't tell you how long it will take.  Nor can I tell you about downtime because you good folks are my

"beta testers".  ;)

But...once we get up and running, any suggestions regarding the game will definitely be entertained and implemented if it fits into what I'm trying to do.

I have all the characters written up...nearly twenty and it seems like we'll have a good number of players to start as well as some people willing to help be monsters in fights and more personal encounters should the player be looking for that.

This week sucks hard...and not the good kind of suck...but I'll put in a formal request for a game this week and get threads started...etc.

Praxis

Spookie Monster

Thanks for all of the effort, dude.  I know how difficult it is to get a game prepared.  I'm definitely looking forward to playing! :)

Quote from: Ender on December 10, 2006, 05:07:24 PMCool...twenty-three characters.

Ooo... perfect number for a supernatural game... ;D

(What with the 23 Enigma and all...)

Spel
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs

ZK

So  what, ten investigators and 13 monsters? ^^

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Praxis

Nah.

Everyone playing will be a character, with the option for every player to play the role of monsters in personal encounters with other players ontop of characters interacting with other characters.

Everyone gets to pick the character they want to play so with 23 there's plenty to pick from.

Everyone is working together as a team to stop the Greater Old One from awakening and skull-fucking reality into oblivion.

If you take a moment just to read a bit of the instructions in my first post you'll have a better idea.

Praxis

Just a preview of a character.  More to be revealed latah.

Sister Mary - The Nun

Sanity    --> 7                     
Stamina --> 3 

Guardian Angel:Any Phase Sister Mary is never "Lost in Time and Space".  Instead, if her Sanity is 0 she returns to Arkham Asylum.  If her Stamina is 0, she returns to St. Mary's Hospital.  If neither her Sanity nor her Stamina are 0, she returns to South Church, rather than being subjected to being Lost in Time and Space.

Home: South Church

Fixed Possessions:
$0, 1 Common Item (Cross), 1 Unique Item (Holy Water)

Random Possessions: 2 Spells, 1 Skill

Focus: 1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
SPEED     1---------------2--------------3---------------4
SNEAK    4---------------3--------------2---------------1 
FIGHT      0---------------1--------------2---------------3
WILL         4---------------3--------------2---------------1
LORE       1---------------2--------------3---------------4
LUCK       6---------------5--------------4---------------3

Communication: Can call Ashcan Pete and Abbotsford.

The Story So Far:

Sister Mary has served the church faithfully for many years, so when she was sent to Arkham to work with Father Michael, a man whose writings she had admired for many years, she felt that she was truly blessed.  Now, after witnessing Father Michael's strange mood swings and seeing some of the bizarre practices that go on in this town, she's beginning to feel that she may have been a bit too hasty...

For instance, last night, there was a knock on the door of the church and when she answered it, there was nothing but a handwritten journal laying on the steps outside.  Reading it, she learned of strange cults and terrible creatures that lurk in the darkness.  Worse, when she laughingly showed it to Father Michael, he turned pale and threw it into the fire, yelling at her to forget what she had read.

Now, gathering her things and quietly leaving South Church, Sister Mary has decided to investigate this town, and in doing so, reaffirm her faith.

ZK

So we cannot simply wish to play as a monster only I take?

Praxis

Nope, you can but over the course of the "game" the monster will invariably get killed and you won't really be controlling the monster.

A dice roll will decide the combat and with the results known regarding if someone was killed, injured, or the investigator ran away, you and the person writing for the character can either just post the results, or flesh out a full on encounter with each other.

Here's another character.

Dexter Drake - The Magician

Sanity    --> 5                     
Stamina --> 5 

Magical Gift - Any Phase:  Whenever "The Great" Drake draws one or more cards from the Spell deck, he draws one extra card and then discards one of the cards.

Home: Ye Olde Magick Shoppe

Fixed Possessions:
$5, 1 Spell (Shrivelling)

Random Possessions: 1 Common Item, 1 Unique Item, 2 Spells, 1 Skill

Focus: 1

SPEED     2---------------3--------------4---------------5 
SNEAK    4---------------3--------------2---------------1  
FIGHT      1---------------2--------------3---------------4
WILL         3---------------2--------------1---------------0
LORE       2---------------3--------------4---------------5
LUCK       3---------------2--------------1---------------0

Communication: Can call Jenny Barnes and Joe Diamond.

The Story So Far:

After returning from his stint in the army during WW1, Dexter became a stage magician, and proved to be very successful at his trade, but he always longed to find real magic.  As they say, be careful what you wish for.  Years  later, in a rundown store, Dexter came across a burnt and torn fragment of the Necronomicon itself.  Intrigued by this ancient piece of occult knowledge, Dexter began to use his wealth in search of the truth about the ancient lore, and what he found horrified him.

Now, the more he learns, the less he wants to know, but his studies have led him to believe that a great evil will soon rise in Arkham.  He knows that he may well be the only person with the ability to stop this evil from swallowing the world, so he has to come to that sleepy town to speak with the proprietor of Ye Olde Magick Shoppe, one of the few magic shops that contain true lore, and not merely the stage tricks he once studied.

Praxis

I was also curious as to if the players would want the setting to be in the late forties early nineteen-fifties like the actual stories or if you guys want something more contemporary in this age?

Praxis

Quote from: Z.K. on December 10, 2006, 08:31:27 PM
So we cannot simply wish to play as a monster only I take?

Also, you can write for as many monsters as you have the stomach for.

Cosmo_ac

QuoteI was also curious as to if the players would want the setting to be in the late forties early nineteen-fifties like the actual stories or if you guys want something more contemporary in this age?

Personally, i would kind of prefer contemporary, as i'm not too knowledgable about the 1950's.  I'm not sure if it would impact the game at all though if it was in the 2000's though.