Smoking and Electronic Cigarettes

Started by TaintedAndDelish, March 24, 2013, 08:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Mayerling

Quote from: Oniya on March 26, 2013, 06:55:39 PM
I think to make a completely fair comparison between cigars and cigarettes, you'd also have to figure in the different additives that the companies put into each.  The relative speed of consumption makes cigarettes easier to fit into breaks (no one smokes a cigar in 5 minutes, I'm sure), and from what I've read, the price of a good cigar is also higher than a pack of cigarettes.  Would you say that you smoke a cigar each day?  (That's one thing I have no clue on: the habits of a cigar smoker.)

The price of a cigar can be higher than a pack of cigarettes, but certainly doesn't have to be. I smoke only hand-rolled premium cigars, and none cost more than a pack of cigarettes. Part of this might be the fact that in New York City, the price of a pack of cigarettes is over $11. An excellent cigar can be had for less than $10.

Hand-rolled cigars don't have any chemical additives. They are 100% tobacco leaves. Though different tobaccos have different nicotine contents.

As for my personal smoking habits, I smoke one or two a day when I have them around. Of all the cigar smokers I know, this is about average. Afficianadoes smoke more. Winston Churchill smoked more than ten a day. Pretty safe to say he was addicted.

Formless

An addiction is an addiction.

I can't put a general label on any sort of addiction , either good or bad.

It's a person's own indulgence in their addiction that may define its negative impacts.

An e-cig delivers exactly what a normal normal cig would. minus the debris ( if I'm supposed to call them that. )

It's the same as the time when they presented those " eye-friendly " screens for computers. They still hurt the eye over long-periods of use.

I think it's not a question of " Do they have a bad effect. " Rather a question of " How much of them would have a bad effect. "

That's just my two cents on the subject.

Oniya

Quote from: Lord Mayerling on March 27, 2013, 04:34:56 PM
The price of a cigar can be higher than a pack of cigarettes, but certainly doesn't have to be. I smoke only hand-rolled premium cigars, and none cost more than a pack of cigarettes. Part of this might be the fact that in New York City, the price of a pack of cigarettes is over $11. An excellent cigar can be had for less than $10.

Hand-rolled cigars don't have any chemical additives. They are 100% tobacco leaves. Though different tobaccos have different nicotine contents.

As for my personal smoking habits, I smoke one or two a day when I have them around. Of all the cigar smokers I know, this is about average. Afficianadoes smoke more. Winston Churchill smoked more than ten a day. Pretty safe to say he was addicted.

Okay - last time I paid attention to the price of a pack of cigarettes, it was close to the price of a gallon of gas - 4.something.  This was almost a year ago, and in Ohio, so I don't doubt that location has a lot to do with that. 

It's a fairly well-known fact that most cigarettes have additives - I know a single brand that uses its lack of additives as a marketing technique.  E-cigs are also just nicotine.  If I were to do a study, I'd be using that one brand of cigarettes and e-cigs up against cigars to make the best comparison.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Trieste

Some are still around that price range, Oni. Alabama prices are between 4 and 4.99 depending on the brand. Some are less than 4, but most of the common brands (Newport, Marlboro, Camel, etc) are in that price range.

Contrast this to nearly 8 dollars in Massachusetts and I was actually kind of a happy smoker when I moved down here. :P

Oniya

*nods*  I just haven't had a smoker in my immediate vicinity since we left Ohio.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Valthazar

My friend in New York City tells me there is quite a black market now for smuggled cigarettes from neighboring states with lower taxes on them.  I think putting a high tax on cigarettes is okay so long as the money is being used for programs to prevent kids from starting to smoke, and for quitting programs.  But the money is not being used for that purpose (or at least I don't think?)

Iniquitous

Quote from: Lord Mayerling on March 26, 2013, 06:23:46 PM
I'm interested in my own experience on this point. I'm a cigar smoker, not a cigarette smoker, and I've read from various sources (all trying to sell me something except wikipedia whose source is also likely a seller) that cigar smoking isn't as dangerous as cigarette smoking because you don't inhale the smoke into your lungs. For some reason I just find this dubious. One cigar has as much nicotine in it as a whole pack of cigarettes, and that nicotine is more efficiently absorbed and metabolized than from cigarettes as well.

This would lead me to hypothesize that cigars are inherently more addictive than cigarettes. However, I have not found this to be my own personal experience. I don't appear to have the common withdrawal symptoms such as shakes, crankiness, or the munchies. It could just be that I'm cranky all the time. But I wonder if cigarette addition has more to it than simple drug addiction. It seems like it might be more like lifestyle addiction: timing smoking with certain activities, taking breaks during a busy workday, doing something with one's idle hands, etc.

As a 24 year smoker I can tell you that I have found the part I put in bold to be true. Matter of fact, the three times I've quit I did so quite easily by simply changing up my routines and schedules so that my usual times for smoking were out of whack. I had less cravings for smokes when everything was 'out of sorts'.
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

Sasquatch421

Quote from: Trieste on March 27, 2013, 05:22:12 PM
Some are still around that price range, Oni. Alabama prices are between 4 and 4.99 depending on the brand. Some are less than 4, but most of the common brands (Newport, Marlboro, Camel, etc) are in that price range.

Contrast this to nearly 8 dollars in Massachusetts and I was actually kind of a happy smoker when I moved down here. :P

One reason I do miss being in... No taxes on anything on base. Cheap gas, so were smokes.... Then again it's been 11 years since I got out of the Marines so it could have changed.

Trieste

>.>

New method of saving on smokes: sign up for the military?

Eh, you have to quit smoking for basic anyway.

:P

Sasquatch421

Quote from: Trieste on April 03, 2013, 01:20:59 AM
>.>

New method of saving on smokes: sign up for the military?

Eh, you have to quit smoking for basic anyway.

:P

Yes, you do... But I was surprised with all the new Marines that lit up right before they left to go home. It's like you haven't had a smoke for three months and you start up right away after?

Rinzler

I'm a pretty heavy smoker - at least 15-20 a day, roll ups, and I've started using a recommended brand of E-cig just recently.

I'd have to say that so far, the E-cig has proved a little disappointing. I usually need to take three drags of the thing before I can get a decent load of vapour, and it just doesn't satisfy me the way a normal cigarette does. Maybe it just doesn't deliver the nicotine load I'm used to. Still, gonna persevere, because for me it works out a lot cheaper - and a hell of a lot healthier - in not having all those poisonous additives one gets with tobacco. And it has to be said, it's certainly helped with respect to the 'habit' side of smoking - where I'd smoke cigarette after cigarette as a matter of course when working (self-employed, so no-one to bother but myself with the smoke) or playing videogames. I just take habitual drags on the E-cig instead, so it's worked out quite well in that respect.