INTEREST CHECK: City of the Drow (3.5) [LOOKING FOR PLAYERS]

Started by Krayz, September 08, 2011, 05:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krayz

Quote from: ulthakptah on September 22, 2011, 06:05:29 PM
I meant an arcane caster. They still each get a cohort. Anyway having a house mage is a must so if they don't get Zaer they should make their cohort a arcane caster. So either way each house will have a mage and they can choose what players they want for themselves.
I approve this message :D

Medical Miracle

My Cohort is going to be an Arachnomancer, fyi. If you guys really want me to choose I will, my first choice would be Krayz. I want dat Monk. :-)

I still think you guys should "pick your poison" as it were. I'm not exactly going to be a loving mother. and I mean that in a Drow sense.

AngelicBlade

Erm, yes well. I'm back. And I'm completely lost, and confused.  :'(

ulthakptah

Quote from: AngelicBlade on September 22, 2011, 09:39:03 PM
Erm, yes well. I'm back. And I'm completely lost, and confused.  :'(
1, learn how to play 3.5
2, make a 14th level character
3, ? ? ? ?
4, profit

ulthakptah

Joking aside dungeon and dragons 3.5 isn't that hard to learn. The first time I played a friend invited me to a game and I learned how to play by myself the night before.

To make things simple you should make a profile on Mythweavers or Plothooks. They are character sheet making tools. It's a lot easier to understand then to just write them on blank paper like I did for my first time.

After that you should learn the basics of making a character. All you will need for that is a players handbook. If you can't "obtain" a copy digital or otherwise there's always this website http://www.d20srd.org/.

You will more than likely be a Drow which has a +2 level adjustment. All that means really is that you will be two levels lower than 14, so 12, but most of the players are 12 anyway.

esclavage

Welcome back, AngelicBlade.  ulthakptah gave the details on building a character sheet.  What is going on game-wise is that we currently have two Matrons: myself and Medical Miracle.  And we are currently deciding which of the remaining characters will be on what sides.  Currently, there are four other players and it seems as if two will join one House and two will join the other.  From there, we will have the basis for a thread and game, doubly so once both I and Medical Miracle layout our Houses.

And I think I'm in the same feeling of Medical Miracle, I'd rather let people choose which faction they'd like to associate with.  Or I can let Medical Miracle have her picks and I will take the others.   :-)  In the end, I don't feel ultimately it matters who ends up on what side.  The bottom line is I think it's important to brainstorm and create character relations more than anything else.  This is what will be the primary story driver and will determine the success of the group game.

Though I do have a question for Krayz, how should are Leadership scores be calculated?  So far, I'm guessing my Leadership score is 20 (12+6 Cha bonus +2 bonus for having a stronghold).

I saw pale kings and princes too // Pale warriors, death-pale were they all;
They cried—“La Belle Dame sans Merci hath thee in thrall!”  -- John Keats, 1884 

Writing Drabbles - Sampler Platter
Plot Ideas -  Darkstalkers, League of Legends, Drow, X-Men, Avengers, Pokemon!!!
Posting Order -  Check Here If You Write With Me!

AngelicBlade

Thank you, both of you, and I don't particually care who's "side" I'm one, I plan to be a simple blacksmith that can fight well enough with the weapon's he creates.

ulthakptah

That's simple enough to be a blacksmith you just need to pick skills. Craft weaponsmithing for making weapons, craft armorsmithing to make armors, and profession blacksmith to make horse shoes and stuff like that.

Now all that's left is to pick a class that will make you fight well enough with the weapons you make, and has craft and profession as class skills. Pretty much all classes have craft so classes with full bass attack and profession are Ranger, Paladin, Hexblade, and Swashbuckler. There may be more but that's all I can come up with on short notice.

Medical Miracle

I think we should probably wait a little longer and see how many players we can get before we start talking about splitting up the characters, and esclavage, don't you put all that pressure on me! :P

ulthakptah

The interest thread has been up for two weeks. I don't think many more people will be showing up. Anyway both of your lack of initiative doesn't speak well for you as leaders.  :P

Zaer Darkwail

We can do it like in football team build up; one matrons start to choose and then other matron makes a pick and then other matron gets to choose again etc. Basically take turns and say 'I take you'.

But if given choice I would join with esclavage matron's house :). As we talked already about how I entered the house and like the background story so far.

ulthakptah

I think they don't want to hurt someones feelings by having to pick them last.

You joining esclavage is a good plan, she has a rogue cohort planed out, and Medical Miracle has an arachnomacer, which will probably be her house mage anyway.

Medical Miracle

QuoteI think they don't want to hurt someones feelings by having to pick them last.
Ya, that`s pretty much it. Sorry for being so caring, I promise I`ll turn on the mean when the game starts. >:)

On a separate note, does anyone know of some tools to help create a Household.

Zaer Darkwail

Well, stronghold builder's guide has rules how build it with the gold you have (was it 300,000gp for building the house only?). In online check for online map editors via google to find some map making services.

ulthakptah

Quote from: Medical Miracle on September 23, 2011, 12:37:46 AM
Ya, that`s pretty much it. Sorry for being so caring, I promise I`ll turn on the mean when the game starts. >:)

On a separate note, does anyone know of some tools to help create a Household.
I found something you might be interested in. The Arachne from Faiths and Pantheons is a divine caster of Lolth that gets a spider familiar, a spider mount, and other spider based abilities.

Medical Miracle

esclavage

ulthakptah, as a way of vindication, I will note that making sure everyone feels like they belong in a group game is completely different than leadership in-game to drive a plot.   ;). But your objection is noted in good humor.   ;D

That being said, I think the arrangement for ulthakptah and Zaer to be part of the House d'Szeossen sounds good to me.  And Krayz and Snake can be part of Miracle's House.  And once Angelic Blade finishes his sheet, we can pick or he can pick.

And the beauty of this game set-up, Medical Miracle, is tht it is easy to introduce new characters in the House as long as we keep things vague.  So just have a few additional rooms in the layout of your House that are occupied by nameless NPCs and when someone joins, we have an easy way to slide them into the game.

And right now, I am building my House for 60 to 70 Drow as obtained from my leadership score woth its followers.  The rest will be supplemented by bugbears, goblins, and kobolds which are common slaves and will bring the House total closer to 500-600.  Though they are just there as cannon fodder and a story element to portray the severe class distinctions in the Underdark.

And in the end, I might use old fashioned graph paper and scanner if I can't find a good map editor.  :P

I saw pale kings and princes too // Pale warriors, death-pale were they all;
They cried—“La Belle Dame sans Merci hath thee in thrall!”  -- John Keats, 1884 

Writing Drabbles - Sampler Platter
Plot Ideas -  Darkstalkers, League of Legends, Drow, X-Men, Avengers, Pokemon!!!
Posting Order -  Check Here If You Write With Me!

Snake

Well I already have another drow male planned out if anyone needs an extra arcane caster. He's a level 5 Sorc, and lvl 7 mindbender (found in complete mage, basicaly someone who a matron would probably murder to have becasue he can infinitely keep 2 people charmed, dominate others at 100' rnage, telepathic that range, etc. the mental abilities are by virtue of the PrC. But if any holes need to be filled I can quickly have a char to fill them given a night but I still have the ranger and fey'ri in reserve if anyone wants them.)

It may sound weird but I like to keep extras in reserve JiC.

Krayz

@esclavage: Leadership scores are calculated normally, so that looks like it would be correct :)

And Snake and me vs ulth and Zaer sounds fine with me. And then Angelic can pick either House, if he likes.

@Snake: btw, I wanted to mention something. I want it understood that your character is going to be expected to be played "feral". No 'I recivilized completely, but keep all the perks'; this dude has to seem like he's as much an animal as he is a person.

I don't know much about the Stronghold Builder's Guide, so I'm trusting Zaer to be the expert on that one for the time being :P

And on a final note, I think I'm going to lock down the number of Matrons in the game with these two. It means 1) players aren't going to get split too far between a number of different Houses, and 2) I can stop waiting and starting putting some serious plans together for the city itself. Right now, I have something in mind of an Upper district, where most of the wealthier drow live in small family compounds and such, and a larger, Lower district that surrounds it, where the dregs of the society live. Miracle's House would be near the centre of the Upper district, and that would be where she's strongest. Meanwhile, esclavage's House would be an upstart of sorts rising in the Lower district to challenge Miracle's control of the city.

Snake

Quote@Snake: btw, I wanted to mention something. I want it understood that your character is going to be expected to be played "feral". No 'I recivilized completely, but keep all the perks'; this dude has to seem like he's as much an animal as he is a person.

That's fine.  Coming back from that is possible (only to a kind of "psuedo-civilized") but it takes forever and a day (luckily, even half drow get extended lifespans if they dont' get killed).

Besides he likes fighting too much to really stop (he was literally bred and conditioned for it.) He CAN speak but he still sounds very intimidating while doing it, prone to growling or snarling when he's angry.  It takes some show of force to make him do something he doesn't want to do though.

TBH I actually anticipate some of the other houses trying to get ahold of him because of the spellfire ability.  (In the past anyone with it has almost always ended up a target of some kind)

Zaer Darkwail

Yep, my char specifically would love to study spellfire effects on your char Snake ;). Anyways my charsheet has been posted quite while ago and is ready to go already. Also agree we should move on to build city itself.

ulthakptah

I haven't seen Magical Miracle's character sheet, so I think she still needs to finish too.

Zaer, I assume you are going to provide vampiric touch spells for me, so what is your caster level for the spell?

Zaer Darkwail

I provide them. Hmm, I recall I placed my CL on atop my spell-list in my charsheet.

Krayz

Hey esclavage, what level are those 60-70 followers?

I just thought about it, but realistically, even a level 1 drow follower would have to be the equivalent of a level 3 follower =/