Soul Society: Life in the Gotei 13 - Seeking Shinigami

Started by Kendre, December 17, 2012, 08:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

Kendre

Start? The campaign started forever ago. Also, frankly any kind of one-hit-kill is not gonna fly, period, even with a Bankai, typically. And, actually, all Captains are on par with Kenpachi. He's probably the WEAKEST Captain, due to a lack of Shikai/Bankai. Kuchiki, Unohana, Urahara, etc. Each of them is immensely powerful. Frankly, simply killing a Captain (unexpecting or not) is extremely unlikely, even for a Vice-Captain. The point I'm trying to make is that it need not be the Captain or Lieutenant you killed. Simply two seated officers would be sufficient for your backstory, while being much more feasible and not requiring instant-kill techniques. ESPECIALLY since you would never deal with the captain or VC in a 1v1 situation while unseated. You would report to a 16th Seat who reports to a 15th seat and so on.

The Gotei 13 is a military. Privates don't meet with Generals.

ShadowFox89

Well, there aren't any links in the first post :P

Okay, I'll put up Shinobu's background either tonight or tomorrow. Probably going to add another drawback or two, Shinobu is going to be rather adherent to the laws of Soul Society.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

BruceTheCat

In Zaer's defense here, when he initially proposed the idea of his character having accidentally killed his Captain and Lieutenant you said that it "Sounds interesting" Kendre as opposed to shooting it down.

So he might have been under the impression thus far that you as the GM approved it.
“Also I've seen that movie, if they're any similar to it, then those guns do not fuck around, please take cover“
- scribus1000

PrestaDGTation

Darkwail:  My personal issue with your character's ability is that sonic vibrations shouldn't be so easy to aim.  If your character had just discovered his ability, than he shouldn't have been able to 'accidentally' target and rupture vital organs.  I think killing a Lieutenant is viable given such an ability, if he practices with it.  But considering he never uses it, and that he didn't even know about it when the incident occurred, he shouldn't be able to just insta-kill someone.

However, using sound vibrations could be interesting in another way.  Consider that using higher frequencies can deafen someone, or that lower decibels can actually rupture solid objects.  Instead of making an ability that instantly kills people whether you want to or not, make an ability that provides for creative uses and collateral damage.

I'd be more comfortable seeing that you 'Killed a Captain' by blasting a screeching noise that made him unable to hear an enemy approaching.  Or, that you used high bass blast and actually caved in a structure in which your superiors were standing.  That makes it a better 'accident' than saying your power is so lethal that it killed a Captain and his under-boss just by discovering it.  Also, it lends into your character motive a little bit better.  If I had an ability so powerful that I killed strong, influential people just by showing it off, you can bet I wouldn't be hiding in a soup kitchen pretending I couldn't do it.  No, I'd find a way to put that to work!  But if I had a power I just couldn't use, and that caused actual accidents, then yes.  I'd be hiding and repentant.

Also, and I can't overstate this enough, but I reaaaaallllyyyy don't like your character being Hemophobic.  It's okay to be a warrior that doesn't like blood.  But if you carry a sword, then you should be able to look at blood without passing out.  If allowed, my character will literally attack you by cutting open her finger, and while you are having a panic-induced seizure on the ground from seeing that, Uako will casually stab you in the face.  Just saying.  You need to pick a better weakness.

That said, neat character!  Take it easy and play around with it!  Love love!
"I see. Hell is populated entirely by Theater Majors." - Majabya, while watching Hazbin Hotel.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Red Lobster on January 05, 2013, 11:50:04 PM
In Zaer's defense here, when he initially proposed the idea of his character having accidentally killed his Captain and Lieutenant you said that it "Sounds interesting" Kendre as opposed to shooting it down.

So he might have been under the impression thus far that you as the GM approved it.

Yeah, above is reason why I wonder why my idea is shot down repeatedly. He may had been a wimp when it comes being a warrior but he was otherwise close to lieutenant level in skill (but the fields what he was good at was not appreciated nor recognized).

Quote from: PrestaDGTation on January 06, 2013, 12:51:30 AM
  Darkwail:  ......

True points there, sonic stuff is harder to aim now that I think about it. Also your idea has merit that instead hard specifics how this sonic power works it instead can be used creatively but it is damn hard control where sonic vibrations fly. Also perhaps he simply collapsed squad 6 (or whatever squad he was in) building and may not had killed captain or lieutenant but he caused massive destruction in building section (mostly hitting foundations than his sonic stuff having massive power) and killed and seriously injured everyone in there. During the chaos he ran and sealed his weapon.

We could change the story so that captain nor lieutenant did not do the bullying and instead it was 6th seat or other officers who did it behind captain and lieutenant's back and also prevented any paperwork done in regards my char requesting transfer or simply 'quit' as shinigami (quitting = permament imprisonment as there is no 'retirement' for being shinigami, but at this point my char was desperate from bullying and seeking end it). So very least I want bullies crushed or killed or if they are around they likely get serious punishment from the abuse they did years ago.

What comes to his hemophobia; it is meant as critical weakness and reason why he should not had become shinigami but his father (who is from noble house and shinigami veteran so damn influential overall) forced shinigami life upon his own son. A cut on finger may not upset him (having become used to it that much at least) but let's say a large palm cut which bleeds would upset him. Also because of this same weakness he cannot become great healer if he cannot stomach blood. It's meant as weakness which overtime he could overcome but not very soon. Also because of this phobia his shikai power; sonic stuff, happens so it does not rupture flesh but more causes internal damage or simply stuns people.

Kendre

I can approve the sonic vibrations causing a collapse, stunning, deafening, etc! Lots of fun to be had! Also, Red Lobster, keep in mind that I'm shooting down abilities, not the story. A collapse crushing a captain and VC is far more believable than an actual offensive ability, especially if they weren't that great at Hoho/Shunpo. Their reishi barrier couldn't protect them from that, and also considering killing a captain isn't technically illegal (rank ascendancy), causing major structural damage to a building and fleeing would be an excellent reason for being branded a criminal.

An alternative, since you seemed interested, would be your shikai being able to manipulate non-living reishi such as walls or dirt, etc, just not plants/animals. In the previous scenario, you could theorize you released a high volume of destructive intent with the ability which swiftly weakened the foundations of the building and caused it to collapse. Through this means, you could also more effectively utilize spirit healing, in which you replace lost reishi in a target before repairing actual wounds, making your ability to heal more efficient! Also, with HemoPHOBIA, it isn't something you can simply overcome. A phobia is an "unreasonable fear". You can't reason with the unreasonable. If you had HEMOPHOBIA, then you would never be able to actually overcome it and yes, a prick on your finger would make you faint or something similar. Perhaps an extreme fear of blood, but not hemophobia particularly.

Zaer Darkwail

Hmmm, reishi manipulation.....it starts sound more a quincy technique as I start think about it more. They manipulate spirit particles as their innate ability and most their techniques are based on this.

So better go with sonic version of the sais and I thinked how they build up the sonic vibration enough collapse the building was mixture of my char shouting along with intense negative emotion which hated the building and people in it. So high frequency sonic vibrations were guided to strike on support structures of the building (it's not brute force tool but rather surgical accurate weapon) and building collapsed and my char survived only because sonic vibrations kept cutting and crumbling falling stone on him while rest of building crushed folks around him.

Overall the sonic stuff in weapons can crumble and weaken any objects while against organic things it can fracture bone or shatter smaller bones (so it cannot kill people but it can example blow ear drums or make whole body wracking painful vibration and so cause stunning effect). It could also do other things with the sound stuff but this is basics what it can do now with present skills what my char has (and he cannot control it properly, so he could not neccesary hit the intended target with his sonic effects).

Kendre

Please keep in mind that with your skillsets, you claiming that your character is close to a lieutenant in terms of skill is wildly inaccurate. You specifically state that you're neither tough, strong, nor fast. As such, I could see the effects of your shikai being that devastating after suffering years of trauma and finally releasing that pent-up fury through your shikai, but with an unseated and rather unskilled officer, it wouldn't be something you would be able to repeat. Break windows, hairline bone fractures, and damage things that are typically vulnerable to vibrations, mainly crystalline structures such as ice, quartz, gems, etc. Shattering stone is much more difficult. Also, this would take a toll on his personal reishi reserves, and more so with an attempt to control it.

Also, please consider the wild amount of vulnerability your hemophobia would cause to your character. Aside from that, your character looks fine!

Zaer Darkwail

Ok, so he is not skilled as lieutenant but I meant it as form tell that how skilled he is at binding/barrier/seal magic and spirit healing. He has no combat skills but in other skills he is very gifted but he was never praised for those gifts by his father and by the lieutenant nor captain. So his low esteem comes from verbal bullying he got and so he thinks much less of himself. Even if he happens to be so skilled in binding that he could bind a lieutenant shinigami with quick incantation.

But I am okay that during his release of shikai he unleashed all pent up anger and fury and it strengthened his reishi to point where he could shatter stone with his shikai but now it would be harmless unless harnessed (but he is so paranoid about his shikai that he overreacted and sealed it shut tightly). With a training and building up his spiritual pressure his shikai could become really devastating in combat and most importantly; know other uses for his sonic shikai abilities (radar frequency and able sharpen his hearing or cause silence fields etc).

I will keep hemophobia as it is meant as very strong weakness. With your approval my char could someday overcome it (as phobias can be cured after all). But it's not going to be near future as it would ask firstly my char have resolve to overcome the terror from seeing and feeling blood. He had got no before desire to get rid of his fear as he had not real desire to be shinigami nor be in combat. So my intent is that my char will grow and develop overtime (altough considering strenght vs weakness balance would it mean he gains new weaknesses or flaws? Or can all chars slowly RP their weaknesses away one by one?).

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

Kendre

In certain cases, you can RP away weaknesses, but you would likely have to spend decades of almost constant work at solely removing your phobia to actually dispense with it. As I said, it's extremely difficult to reason out an unreasonable fear.

As for it becoming devastating, you would need likely near to Captain-level power in order to make sound shatter stone, since Soul Society is technically more archaic than the mortal world and you aren't any sort of technician. Also, keep in mind that Kido (which incorporates Bakudo, which incorporates seals and barriers) draws its strength from the power of the shinigami that uses it. You COULD bind a lieutenant with a Bakudo, yes, but then they'd likely laugh and shrug it off. Unseated Shinigami are literally the lowest of the low by Gotei standards. Your seat is your rank, and you're unseated. With extreme dedication and quite a bit of time (since you're portraying him as being inept at combat), you could be rather effective. However, without excessive work at it, you're not going to be any sort of decent combatant. A good healer and defender, mayhap, but I doubt with the character design you're going for that "devastating" will ever be an appropriate term to apply to your combative abilities.

@ShadowFox89, I'll peruse it momentarily!

Zaer Darkwail

So, would it be proper to add that he universally has high spirit power (replace the keen senses part) and high kido skills then? Reason why he could had remained unseated was because he was bullied (and his weak combat abilities) in squad 6. After all captain and lieutenant handle all promotion issues so it would be easy keep Kazuhiko under the wraps and out of notice of other squad captains and lieutenants (and not know it along with knowing he is bullied). Just swap strenght and define more about that 'he is good in kido but he is specialized to Bakudo'. Meaning he is less expert in direct combat kido but he is able perform them and with his spiritual power it's lieutenant level.

So he can be more useful as healer and defender in story but if blood becomes involved he goes useless until he learns overcome his unreasonable fear. According what I read about phobia the person may realize the fear is irrational but they simply cannot help against their own emotional impulse. So Kazuhiko would know fear for blood is silly and unnatural but he cannot dismiss the fear.

Only way beat phobia is when person has own resolve to face it. Running or ignoring it does not cure it. Same goes to low self-esteem; it does not go away if you keep believing it yourself.

Overall the key thing about his zanpakutō is that it presents his resolve, strenght of will and desire to fight. So he learned his shikai's name instant when he developed genuine desire; I want to be strong. Of course this came from becoming strong so he is no longer bullied and repeatedly faced with blood which scared hell out from him. His zanpakutō then finally got voice to tell him he is strong and he need only just show it. Then the accident occured as he manifested his shikai and in anger accidentally used it's abilities.

Now that I think it this way, he could not manifest his shikai even if he tried. Firstly his zanpakutō is upset from Kazuhiko shutting and sealing it up. I could think it is painful for zanpakutō experience it as it lives through their wielders and sense the world also. It's same as shutting someone down into dark cold cellar. Secondly is that he now fears his own power and so he needs overcome that fear before he can unleash his shikai again. So his fear from unleashing power of his shikai is itself ironic as his own fear is best tool keep it in check than any seals he made.

Overall though concept is that my char starts heavily crippled with handicaps, but overtime he could overcome some his weaknesses (he may perhaps never be expert swordsman but could catch up if he starts seriously train and want to become better). Overall idea is a shinigami with strong fears and many personal obstacles to overcome and then turn out to become very strong. This is desire of his zanpakutō and make Kazuhiko realize his true potential.

Kendre

If you had high spirit pressure, you wouldn't have escaped notice and the bullying would've been stopped immediately because spirit pressure flares in moments of high distress or panic, such as during bullying. Other captains would've noted the flare and come to investigate.

Kendre

Perhaps it's something you could eventually aspire to, as personal growth and whatnot can lead to that. I'll talk to you a bit in PMs.

Katra Alexion

I would be interested in playing, right now I am considering a character but am wondering if you are accepting Vizards at this time?

Kendre

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Kendre on January 06, 2013, 02:02:36 PM
Perhaps it's something you could eventually aspire to, as personal growth and whatnot can lead to that. I'll talk to you a bit in PMs.

Haven't got yet PM. Just note did slight edit on charsheet mention my char is expert in Kido but focuses on Bakudo.

Katra Alexion

I will be busy today, but I will get around to posting later a character later this afternoon. I am going for a Captaincy of Squad 8 - I don't know what group's specialty is yet, but am willing to dicuss.

ShadowFox89

Kat, if you want to work on any sort of a background with my character, she was lieutenant of Squad 8 for a while before transferring.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Wolfy

So, interested in Joining...Was also wondering about Vizards, though I think I've already asked about that. o3o

If not a Vizard, perhaps Lieutenant for the 13th Division?...Or maybe the 3rd?

Hmm....