News:

Main Menu

Crossovers!

Started by Sabby, October 17, 2010, 04:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

I've seen some bad ones online, and some not so bad ones... Batman vs Predator makes sense, but then I see awful shit like X-Men and Star Trek :/ and then there's the more obscure and hard to classify ones, like Jesus kicking the shit out of the Greek Gods for heckling him at his crucifixion.

I'm bloody sick of crossovers that make zero sense and don't add up in their collective settings. So post your own here.

I'm sure I'll have some later, but right now, all I have is Assassins Creed: Dance of Killers. While one of the Brotherhood's Assassins moves in on his target, an unseen foe wipes out his quarry. He finds when he's on a contract, he is shadowed by a Predator, and when the young hunter grows bored with the targets, he turns his sights on the young Assassin.

Inkidu

Crossover's aren't meant to make sense! They're meant to provide absolute, abject fan-service!
Seriously, I was told recently by a fellow English major that he found a book called Nevermore. It is literally about Edgar Allan Poe and Danial Boone teaming up to solve a mystery. They had to pluck names from a hat on that one.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

meikle

Quote from: Sabby on October 17, 2010, 04:50:50 AM
I've seen some bad ones online, and some not so bad ones... Batman vs Predator makes sense, but then I see awful shit like X-Men and Star Trek :/ and then there's the more obscure and hard to classify ones, like Jesus kicking the shit out of the Greek Gods for heckling him at his crucifixion.

I'm bloody sick of crossovers that make zero sense and don't add up in their collective settings. So post your own here.

I'm sure I'll have some later, but right now, all I have is Assassins Creed: Dance of Killers. While one of the Brotherhood's Assassins moves in on his target, an unseen foe wipes out his quarry. He finds when he's on a contract, he is shadowed by a Predator, and when the young hunter grows bored with the targets, he turns his sights on the young Assassin.

But how do you feel about Superman vs Aliens?
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Sabby

Quote from: meikle on October 17, 2010, 12:23:44 PM
But how do you feel about Superman vs Aliens?

Like pretty much everywhere has something that douses his powers >.< But I don't like Superman... I'd much rather see the Alien win.

MasterMischief

Buffy the Vampire Slayer meets Twilight

HairyHeretic

One crossover I thought that worked really well was a Judge Dredd story, Judgement Day. A big bad from Jonny Alphas reality comes to Dredds, and wreaks havoc with a zombie apocalpyse. Alpha chases him, butts heads with Dredd, and eventually teams up with him for the finale.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

MasterMischief

James Bond meets the Dollhouse

Hunter

Quote from: MasterMischief on October 17, 2010, 07:04:55 PM

No, no.  That makes sense.

Besides, seeing sissy boy running from a teenage girl would be a riot to watch.

Sabby

If you wanna be technical... I'm pretty sure that Edward, no matter how much of a pussy he is, could handle Buffy without much issue. But then again, I only know the films and a half dozen episodes of Buffy, plus the Buffy beat 'em up game.

Doubt a high school girl with some martial arts training and old style vampire hunter equipment could contest with what is essential a Golem with super speed and enough strength to bear hug a werewolf and break his back.

But like I said, don't know either setting that well xD Correct me if I'm wrong.

Jag

Harry Potter and Angel. I saw a fanfic once, a long time ago. Winifred and Snape going at it in the basement of Wolfram & Hart isn't that bad an image, but very strange.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Hunter

Quote from: Sabby on October 18, 2010, 12:58:00 AM
If you wanna be technical... I'm pretty sure that Edward, no matter how much of a pussy he is, could handle Buffy without much issue. But then again, I only know the films and a half dozen episodes of Buffy, plus the Buffy beat 'em up game.

Given that Buffy regularly beat the apocalypse and destroyed demons (greater and lesser alike), I don't see Edward having much of a chance.  The most classic scene that I can remember is from the first season where she takes down a demon (who bragged how he was immune to any weapon forged) with a rocket launcher.    >:)

Sabby

And yet she would be dead from one punch from Edward...

Jeez, never thought I'd spend this long in Twilights defense xD

Oniya

There was a fanfic I read years ago that crossed Kingdom Hearts and Yu-Gi-Oh.  I can only rationalize it with the "Kingdom Hearts -> various worlds" mechanic, but it was still pretty WTF.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lilias

I've mixed WoD with just about everything.

I have a long-standing (read: six years and counting) WoD/Belgariad crossover campaign, with a Darkover/Belgariad side plot. Oh, and did I mention the Ravenloft cleric who died and found herself in the (WtO) Shadowlands - only to team up with a wizard out of Dragonlance?

Sense? None. Fun? Off the charts.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Oniya

Oh, if we're talking tabletop, I'd be remiss in not mentioning the 'Monster Campaign' that we used to run every Halloween when I lived in the D.C. area.  We all played standard D&D monsters (leveling was reflected by how many of our abilities we had access to).  The campaign settings ranged through Paranoia, Star Wars (the beholder had a small part in the questioning of some chick being held prisoner by a local Lawful Evil cleric/psionicist), and Disney World (the theme park - which was a staging ground for this were-rat that was trying to take over the world through mind control.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Hunter

Quote from: Oniya on October 18, 2010, 12:07:29 PM
Disney World (the theme park - which was a staging ground for this were-rat that was trying to take over the world through mind control.)

meikle

Quote from: Sabby on October 18, 2010, 11:36:38 AM
And yet she would be dead from one punch from Edward...

Jeez, never thought I'd spend this long in Twilights defense xD

and yet, batman would be dead from one punch from Superman.

but we still assume Batman wins in that pairing!

O and O and Discord
A and A

Sabby

That's another fight I never understood Dx the way my comic nerd friends told me, it was always something very elaborate, like Batman is inside a mountain and can weaken Superman, or he has that evil rock stuff in punching gauntlets...

But to me, the only way to ever debate ANY of these 'who would win' questions is to just throw the both of them in a cage match with either nothing, or their most typical tool set. Anything else will just spawn pages and pages of debate that will go no where.

So in that scenario, throw Batman and Superman into a pit and only one is guna come out, and all they have is their most typical set up... is anyone seriously going to go for Batman here?

Hunter

Quote from: Sabby on October 18, 2010, 05:16:24 PM
So in that scenario, throw Batman and Superman into a pit and only one is guna come out, and all they have is their most typical set up... is anyone seriously going to go for Batman here?

You've never heard the joke then:
Who would win between Superman and Batman if Batman didn't have kryptonite.  Answer: Batman always has kryptonite.

Star Safyre

Quote from: MasterMischief on October 17, 2010, 07:04:55 PM

Every time my husband wears this shirt in public, he gets complimented.
My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

meikle

Quote from: Sabby on October 18, 2010, 05:16:24 PM
But to me, the only way to ever debate ANY of these 'who would win' questions is to just throw the both of them in a cage match with either nothing, or their most typical tool set. Anything else will just spawn pages and pages of debate that will go no where.

Then you're not much of a comic book nerd.

You throw Batman and Superman in a cage match with nothing, or their most typical toolset, and they're just going to leave the cage.  They're friends.

O and O and Discord
A and A

King_Furby

Yet if you put batman and wonderwomen in a cage they just leave then go do it in the bat cave.

Hulk vs Juggernot to me is an interesting battle.

The superman and goku is just stupid like godzilla vs transformers

Oniya

Hulk v. Juggernaut would at least both be Marvel, unless I'm mistaken.  I'm pretty sure there actually was a Hulk v. The Thing at one point (and my money would be on Ben Grimm, unless we're talking about the Hulk's body with Banner's intellect).

Superman v. Goku would probably just go on and on for 50 issues of the appropriate comic book.  Oh wait, that was Goku v. Frieza.  O:)

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on October 19, 2010, 05:03:07 PM
Hulk v. Juggernaut would at least both be Marvel, unless I'm mistaken.  I'm pretty sure there actually was a Hulk v. The Thing at one point (and my money would be on Ben Grimm, unless we're talking about the Hulk's body with Banner's intellect).

Superman v. Goku would probably just go on and on for 50 issues of the appropriate comic book.  Oh wait, that was Goku v. Frieza.  O:)
A friend and I used to joke about that. We would have called it East Vs. West and we were occupying our excess brain space with coming up with pairs. Goku v. Superman. Ichigo V. Wolverine, Batman V. Astro Boy. It was merely idle fancy though.

Marvel and DC have a long history of making collaborative crossover comics though, if I'm not mistaken.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

King_Furby

Any non-comic crossovers you like? there are not alot of true tv crossovers but i think thats cause of contract issues. but there is pottential

Eureka + Warehouse 13 had a successful crossover this last season with 2 episodes. i was happy to see those shows mesh well.

I want to see The Mentalist crossover with something like White Collar. Caffery and Patrick would make quite a team.

Leverage + Burn Notice would also work i think