Any Dragon Quest Fans Out There?!

Started by SammyGirl, July 29, 2015, 05:30:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SammyGirl

I just found out that Square Enix announced several new Dragon Quest games, and I'm SO excited! Dragon Quest was my first real RPG, and it's only gotten better over the years. I feel like it doesn't get enough love, though. So many people prefer FF, and while I completely respect everyone's right to love Cloud and Sephiroth, I definitely wish that there were more DQ fans out there. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough?

Here in the States I guess DQ isn't as big as it is in Japan, and as such we don't always get a lot of the games ported over. (I could rave forever on missing out on Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 Professional.) But whenever a game is released in the US, I always buy it to support them and hopefully get more sent over.

What are your favorite Dragon Quest games?

I happen to love the Zenithian Trilogy (IV, V, and VI), and I also really enjoy the relatively new Dragon Quest Monsters Joker series. My favorite character is the Incarnus <3<3<3

Mathim

Haven't played many, only did part 9, Sentinels of the Starry Skies, all the way through story mode. Wasn't that impressed, made it difficult to want to keep trying, slowly level grinding, to get to 100% completion. But it did give me a few ideas for how to make a strategy RPG more challenging and comprehensive.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Revelation

I'd say it's pretty hard to count yourself as a jrpg fan if you've never played a game in the series!

The difference between the 3DS and PS4 versions of DQ11 look interesting, and Akiras art for it is charming as always. however I must admit I am rather jaded as it feels Square has all but given up on trying to bother with DQ in the west. We're getting Heroes/the Musou for some reason... But the 7 or so 3DS DQ Games aren't coming here at all.

Anyway, my favorite game in the series is probably 8, just because it was the first I really sunk my teeth into and is still a rather good game all things considered.

Mathim

Quote from: Changingsaint on July 29, 2015, 11:04:28 PM
I'd say it's pretty hard to count yourself as a jrpg fan if you've never played a game in the series!

The difference between the 3DS and PS4 versions of DQ11 look interesting, and Akiras art for it is charming as always. however I must admit I am rather jaded as it feels Square has all but given up on trying to bother with DQ in the west. We're getting Heroes/the Musou for some reason... But the 7 or so 3DS DQ Games aren't coming here at all.

Anyway, my favorite game in the series is probably 8, just because it was the first I really sunk my teeth into and is still a rather good game all things considered.

Well I love the parent company, to be sure. Rocket Slime, the one on the DS that was released in the states, is my favorite even if it's only a spinoff. I really wish the sequel to it had been released here on the 3DS. That game just has so much potential, they could have had way more fun levels, ice, more water with some swimming, quicksand, etc., that would have made it longer like a true RPG which is supposed to devour weeks of your life. And those tank battles were pleasantly challenging even if you were really well-prepared.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).