D&D 5th edition for beginners!

Started by Chulanowa, September 04, 2018, 02:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chulanowa

Hi there everyone! Have you ever seen what struck you as a neat premise for a game, only to find its a system you don't know? Are you familiar with earlier versions of Dungeons and Dragons, or perhaps Pathfinder, but have never dipped your toes into 5th edition? I'm here to help!

The Players: I'm looking for between four and ten people to form up to two groups to play through some high fantasy rp, and learn a system as they go! If you've never touched D&D or a system game before, that's fine; you're my target demo! All I ask in that you be able to make at least two posts a week, and be willing to learn.

The Plan: I'm planning to run a short adventure for the party(s), the sort that takes about one session at a table. I'll introduce rules or complexities as they come up, rather than dumping everything on you from the get-go. Everything will be accessible through the Player's Handbook, if you happen to have it around; if not, no problem! I'll be providing notes to all who want them. After the adventure concludes, we can definitely do more, if that's what the players want.

The Catch: I hesitate to call it a catch, but since it might not be everyone's cup of tea, there it is; I will be using pregenerated characters for this. Character creation takes forever and is the most complicated part of the game, so I kind of want to shelve it for the initial run. Players will of course get their choice of pregens; I won't be assigning them. The personalities and fine details will be totally up to you, I'll just be providing the system bits and some broad outlines. After the initial run, if the player's want to have another go, a run through creating a character will absolutely be priority then :-)

So, there we have it; any takers on this?

Majabya

I'm always up for some DnD styled learnin', count me in.

Chulanowa

Absolutely, be glad to have you both  ;D

Brittlby

I’d be interested, provided I got to use a spellcaster (cleric, wiz, sorc)! I always play rogue or one of the martial classes and still never have gotten to play one!
Nitpicking naysayers barking like beagles, through the tall grass of poisonous tongues
Slide down your throat like an antidote you can quote...

O/O

Chulanowa

Quote from: Brittlby on September 05, 2018, 11:44:54 AM
I’d be interested, provided I got to use a spellcaster (cleric, wiz, sorc)! I always play rogue or one of the martial classes and still never have gotten to play one!

Oh god, I hear you on the "always a rogue" angle.  XD

My plan is to have a pregen character for each class for the players to pick from. There's 12 classes in 5th edition, and since the max group size is gonna be 5, I think everyone should get what they want.  ;D

CeruleanSerenity

I'm interested in playing if you'll have me, but I'm not exactly new to fifth edition... I have made a few characters and read enough of the system that I feel comfortable with it. None of my games have lasted long, though, so my actual play experience is pretty limited.

I'll be happy to step aside for newer players if you get a lot of interest, too.

Diceman

I haven't had much of a chance to try 5e. This sounds like a good opportunity to delve in, if you'll have me!

alextaylor

I'm interested, but D&D is a bit dice heavy. Is it going to be run on the forums? I can imagine it dragging on if people are not posting when they should be.
O/O

Chulanowa

Yeah, I'm planning to run it on the forums. The dice aspect actually goes pretty fast I've found, it's the rest of the post that kind of bogs down sometimes  :D

That said, I'm not going to be in any rush here; that would be counter to the point. So to me, taking a while on posting or rolling or what-have-you is fine. I rather expect it in fact.

thewomboldt

Vax

If you're still looking for people, I would be very interested. I'm not starting from scratch, but I've only played 3 1 hour sessions so far. So if places fill up and someone who's totally new to the game wants to play I'm okay with stepping down, otherwise, I'd love to get in on this!

I've tried my hands at a wizard and a bard so far, so I'd love to play something other than that.

Chulanowa

Awesome guys, I'm glad to have you along! I've hit a slight delay - it occurs to me that MAYBE I should have had the pregens ready before starting the interest thread, but, welp, too late now  XD

It looks like we have eight, possibly nine people; so that will be two groups, either 4 and 4 or 4 and 5 (If we can get a tenth, that'd be great!).

alextaylor

Oh yeah! I'm in, in case it wasn't clear. Drop me a PM if we start. Sometimes I forget to check these interest check threads.
O/O

Lady Lunarius

I might be interested, sounds like it could be fun. (If you still need a 10th)
LaLu's updated A/A's Updated
LaLu's Delicious treats!
LaLu's O.O's/Current Interests Updated 3-11-23
I am currently NOT open for a few new RP's

Sarah Morgan

It sounds like you have plenty interested in this, but if you find room for more groups in future, I'd definitely be interested.  I've been playing via a voice chat program in an online game for about a year, so not new to the system, but more D&D is always something I'd be interested in. 

Doomglazer

always wanted to learn DenD so if you have room left im happy to join

Chulanowa

Wow, sorry for the wait guys!  I had some things going on and all that. And wow, more interest than I anticipated! So, here's how i'm going to do; Two groups of four, one group of five.

Group 1:
Majabya
SensualNia
Brittlby
alextaylor
EloquentWizard

Group 2:
thewomboldt
Lady Lunarius
Doomglazer
Diceman

Group 3:
CeruleanSerenity
Bibliophilia
Vax
Sarah Morgan

I'm still going to need to set up the OOC and IC threads for you guys, I should have that all done by tomorrow evening. Still, wow, thanks for all the interest, I hope I can live up to it  XD

Roleplay Frog

If, looking at the numbers, you need help with the good fight give the Frog a holler.

Chulanowa

Alright, so, GROUP ONE!
This is your OOC
Operating as secret agents for the Lords of Waterdeep, a promising lead takes you deep into the world of the Xanathar crime organization, but what will it take for you to return?

GROUP TWO!
This is your OOC
Life on the Moonsea isn't easy. Bandits, pirates, and cruel lords dominate the land, threatening those who make an honest living there. Now, a new scourge is prowling hte waters: a ghost ship has been striking small coastal villages, leaving its victims whispering about the "Eye of the Dracolich."

And of course GROUP THREE
This is your OOC
For a few days now, shepherds in the area of the sleepy marsh-side village of Muddale have complained of missing livestock. is it wolves? Perhaps the local goblin tribe? Or is something more sinister afoot?

Lady Lunarius

Group Two and Three lead to the same thread darlin.
LaLu's updated A/A's Updated
LaLu's Delicious treats!
LaLu's O.O's/Current Interests Updated 3-11-23
I am currently NOT open for a few new RP's

Chulanowa

Ah shit. Well, easy to fix!

Brittlby

Hah. Everyone wants the rogue apparently. I claim Edge for group 1.
Nitpicking naysayers barking like beagles, through the tall grass of poisonous tongues
Slide down your throat like an antidote you can quote...

O/O

alextaylor

Quote from: Brittlby on September 18, 2018, 11:59:26 PM
Hah. Everyone wants the rogue apparently. I claim Edge for group 1.

I just realized that the monk has much better sneaky skills. Detect traps? Yup. Disable traps? Maybe. Pickpocket? Hell yeah. Sneak? That too. So now she's a super sneaky Agent who can jump guards from behind and choke them to death. And this forum being as it is, she could even fight naked.
O/O

CeruleanSerenity

...Well, now you're tempting me to switch to the monk...

Also, if anyone here has any questions, I'll be happy to help too. I'm not the most experienced with this edition, but I am confident that I know enough help new players learn, so don't hesitate to ask if there's anything I can do.

Strega

Hello everyone!

I guess I am too late to join. I am posting just in case!  >:)