Interest Check: Mass Effect

Started by Malrunar, June 30, 2017, 10:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malrunar

Anyone who knows me, knows that I am head over heels in love with this series. Andromeda may not have launched as well as we would have liked, but despite its faults I still thoroughly enjoyed the story and the game-play. (Drak = <3 ) It has always represented the ultimate fantasy for me and the plot twists are something I find myself revisiting again and again without ever growing tired of then. I've completed the trilogy over a dozen times, the most recent release twice, but never an actual role play. (But not without trying!)

So here is another attempt at starting a story based in my favorite universe. And, while I have some plots and ideas on how to proceed, I thought it prudent to first gauge any interest it might bright. I'll bullet a few preferences below:

*Smaller group game: From experience, a large cast tossed in a sandbox never really lasts long and I really want to write something that pushes past the intro posts. I  think an ideal cast would include between three to four players, with the option of playing multiples to fill in missing roles.

*This is not first come, first serve: Quality over quantity, I'm looking for a group that is willing to work together and intends to focus the story on 'us' rather than a single character. In a perfect world, we would also have great chemistry together to push things forward.

*Posting expectations: Life can be crazy. I own and operate my own clinic so some days my mind is absolute mush. I don't want to come home to find thirty posts waiting for me to review before my character can even respond. (Of course, there would be times when this is expected. Especially if Character A and Character F are bumping uglies. ;) ) Lets keep a clear line of communication and find the flow without adding the pressure onto others. This would also include players who can only post once a month. Probably not the right game for you, in that case.

Now, the bits about the plot::

If you're interested in the setting, I'd like to keep that interest by taking a little survey, so let me know the following:

~What time frame do you want to visit? During the years of the trilogy, or in the future with Andromeda?
~Would you rather stay away from the main story line of the above timelines, (Geth, Reapers, Archon,) or have our cast of characters involved in a side plot/event that correlates to them?
~What race and/or class types and/or profession are you looking to play?

I'm eagerly waiting to hear from you guys!

~Ygg

la dame en noir

Andromeda opens up for a little more creativity. If we stick to the trilogy, we have to figure out if we want to deal with the reaper threat or not. Either way, I'm all about the Mass Effect universe. I'm all about playing some asshole spectre or mercenary human.
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Raziel

I love Mass Effect so I'm game. I'm with La Dame however in that Andromeda would open up more creativity, the trilogy while we all know more about that part of the world opens up the discussion of pre Reaper war, during it or after and the type of story world we want to play in, still Mass Effect is Mass Effect :)

thebobmaster

I'm always up for more Mass Effect. Easily one of my favorite fictional universes, both in terms of character and setting.

I agree with the others that Andromeda would allow for more creativity. As for storyline, I'd probably venture away from the main plot of the games. Again, it allows for a bit more freedom with regards to story, not being concerned with staying true to the plot of the game vs. doing our own thing...I just feel having a story separate from the main storyline of the games entirely would be less complicated.

As for the race I'd play as, I'm always up for playing a turian. How good or bad this turian is (as well as gender and profession), would depend on what's needed based on other characters, although even a more moral character for me is rarely more heroic than your typical antihero.
Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

RP Ideas:New and Approved!

Raziel

For me character wise I usually go Human or Asari depending on what's required

Kadigan

I'm always very interested in Mass Effect games.  It's a great setting with lots of characters and etc etc etc. Very fun is the point. As far as setting I think the future would be better, but I'll throw it out that maybe not as far as Andromeda? Maybe more the near future..a hundred years or so..dealing with the aftermath of the Reaper War, how the galaxy's changed, etc etc..

Generally I prefer playing a human, though the character depends on what group they'd end up following. Military, Mercenaries, that sort.

BlackStone

Toss my hat in for Andromeda.   That said my character concept works in any time frame during the trilogy.  Human Sentinel, former N7 injured during combat, had right arm, shoulder replaced with cybernetics.  Instructor at Grissom Academy,  struggling a little still with PTSS.

Ashena

I would be very interested in a Mass Effect game. Though I do not have a next Gen counsel yet as money is tight, I have not played Andromeda so I am not well versed in the lore/story line however if that's what we go with I can always read up on it for sure. That being said I would like to venture away from the main plot of the story and come up with some side missions. I typically love Asari or Quarian. I like the Engineer, or Vanguard classes as well.

Malrunar

So, to make sure I have this correct:-

La Dame: Votes for Andromeda. If you wanted to play a Spectre that would be fine, but it would have to a race other than human.

Raziel: Votes Andromeda, playing a human or asari.

Bob: Votes Andromeda and potentially a turian (Yes please! <3 )

B.Gordon: Votes for Milky Way +100 years, to play human.

Blackstone: Andromeda, human Sentinel who sounds like a badass.

Ashena: Andromeda, playing an Asari or Quarian. (Quarians aren't technically in the Andromeda game, but since you haven't played and because I REALLY don't want to ruin any plot-points for you, I'd recommend sticking with an Asari.

Needless to say, looks like Andromeda is going to be the setting for this, lol. But I'm glad, actually, because like most of you mentioned this gives us a lot of freedom.

I'm also intending to play a female human, not an N7 yet but certainly hoping to go that route before this opportunity came up. I'll wait another day to see if anyone else shows interest, and then post an update from there.

la dame en noir

Why would it have to be a race other than human?
A&A | FxF |

Malrunar

Quote from: la dame en noir on July 02, 2017, 09:57:23 PM
Why would it have to be a race other than human?

Only because there was one human Spectre at that point, which was Shepard.

Raziel

Since it will be in Andromeda will we all be arriving on the same Ark, different Arks or could some people have either been on the Nexus or perhaps Exiles?

la dame en noir

Quote from: Yggdrasil on July 02, 2017, 10:03:03 PM
Only because there was one human Spectre at that point, which was Shepard.
I see what your'e saying. Cause I was leaning more towards asshole Mercenary lol. :)
A&A | FxF |

BlackStone

Character concept sent in PM to ya Yggdrasil

orderNchaos

Well I'm always interested in ME stories.  I have to say I love Andromeda as a story line and a world.  Especially with the mix between the Kett world beyond and the possibility of a Remnant civilization out there.

I could definitely see playing either a combat member of the initiative team or a black market smuggler type that gets recruited by the team. 

Jason Hunter

I am extremely interested if you are still looking. I would vote for Andromeda as well but maybe looking at something off main story, something we could all come up with together to break off them main story thread and be original yet still use the ME universe. I would look at playing a cranky badass Krogan if you are interested. Someone who is all action first thinking later. Shoots his mouth off and starts a fist fight for looking at him wrong. Maybe he just needs someone to settle him down.

vin26m

Quote from: Yggdrasil on June 30, 2017, 10:32:40 PM
Anyone who knows me, knows that I am head over heels in love with this series. Andromeda may not have launched as well as we would have liked, but despite its faults I still thoroughly enjoyed the story and the game-play. (Drak = <3 ) It has always represented the ultimate fantasy for me and the plot twists are something I find myself revisiting again and again without ever growing tired of then. I've completed the trilogy over a dozen times, the most recent release twice, but never an actual role play. (But not without trying!)

So here is another attempt at starting a story based in my favorite universe. And, while I have some plots and ideas on how to proceed, I thought it prudent to first gauge any interest it might bright. I'll bullet a few preferences below:

*Smaller group game: From experience, a large cast tossed in a sandbox never really lasts long and I really want to write something that pushes past the intro posts. I  think an ideal cast would include between three to four players, with the option of playing multiples to fill in missing roles.

*This is not first come, first serve: Quality over quantity, I'm looking for a group that is willing to work together and intends to focus the story on 'us' rather than a single character. In a perfect world, we would also have great chemistry together to push things forward.

*Posting expectations: Life can be crazy. I own and operate my own clinic so some days my mind is absolute mush. I don't want to come home to find thirty posts waiting for me to review before my character can even respond. (Of course, there would be times when this is expected. Especially if Character A and Character F are bumping uglies. ;) ) Lets keep a clear line of communication and find the flow without adding the pressure onto others. This would also include players who can only post once a month. Probably not the right game for you, in that case.

Now, the bits about the plot::

If you're interested in the setting, I'd like to keep that interest by taking a little survey, so let me know the following:

~What time frame do you want to visit? During the years of the trilogy, or in the future with Andromeda?
~Would you rather stay away from the main story line of the above timelines, (Geth, Reapers, Archon,) or have our cast of characters involved in a side plot/event that correlates to them?
~What race and/or class types and/or profession are you looking to play?

I'm eagerly waiting to hear from you guys!

~Ygg

Drax was my favorite, too.

I've played the trilogy but I haven't finished Andromeda (I'm maybe halfway through my first playthrough, but I've shelved it).  I did enjoy combat in single player as a Vanguard (using a "VanGod" build).

I've thought about running an Andromeda game as a continuation of the original Andromeda game.  There could be more human Explorers than just Ryder (it seems kind of silly that SAM the AI is everywhere but can only hook up to one Explorer), and more ships like the Tempest.  New game, new Explorer, new ship, new crew full of characters thawed out of cryo, and a mechanism to add/remove crew (getting more out of cryo or recruiting a settler, or going back into cryo or settling in on some outpost).

At least, that would be the context of the game I was considering running.  After that, I'm more of a big sandbox let-everyone-pair-off-and-have-their-own-fun type than a smaller have-a-small-group-do-everything-together.

Some sexy times with humans, krogans and asari would be nice, though.

Speaking of sexy times -

Timeskeeper

Oh!! Is this still up and taking players? If so I'd love to toss my hat into the mix!

Sorry but I'm still kinda new around here, I hope that's alright.

But I love the Mass Effect series and I enjoyed Andromeda! Vetra is awesome! Mad love for the Turians! ^_^
I was thinking maybe a human Vanguard who also happens to be a medic.

ShinigamiWolf

I love love loved Mass Effect, both Shepard Trilogy and the Andromeda attempt.

I haven't fully decided but thoughts are leaning towards a human biotic despite my normal human aversion. Don't get me wrong, I love pretty much all species (Tali the true waifu, even if Jack was still a very close second) but I just love the grossness of the human condition portrayed in this series and equating them to being aggressive go getters due to a short lifespan despite the Salarians having the shortest.

KittyKatt04

I'm super interested in this! I haven't played the games or read the books, but I plan on starting the book series ASAP, as you have piqued my interest. :-) I'm not asking to hold anyone up, just throwing in my interest and hoping you'll think of me if anything comes up. <3

Also, I'm kind of new around here too Timeskeeper! Nice to meet'cha!  :D

Malrunar

Hey guys! So sorry for the delay, work has been so busy I've barely managed to post or even attempt to keep up. I just have to get through one more twelve hour shift, and then I'll be able to respond to each and everyone of you.