News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Personhood law could outlaw birth control

Started by Iniquitous, November 09, 2011, 01:33:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemingway

Whenever I read about issues like this, I can't help but wonder what the real motivations of these people are. The U.S. tops abortion statistics, and it should be obvious to anyone with even a rudamentary grasp on reality that the reason for that is not the open and liberal attitude of the American public toward abortions. Countries with far more liberal laws and attitudes have fewer abortions per capita. That doesn't necessarily imply that liberal laws and views lead to fewer abortions, but whatever else it might imply, it certainly does not suggest that more restrictive laws reduce abortions in any way. In other words, anyone who is actually concerned about lives and people should be looking at other options, at better education and access to birth control. It's not exactly rocket surgery.

Now, from that, I think it's fair to assume that the people in question are either a) too stupid to realize they're wrong, b) outright malicious or c) have other motivations.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Hemingway on November 09, 2011, 03:40:32 PM

Now, from that, I think it's fair to assume that the people in question are either a) too stupid to realize they're wrong, b) outright malicious or c) have other motivations.

I think it's a bit of A, a LOT of B and a bit of C. Some folks have an Agenda. (not the capitalization) and want to be sure to deprive 'those people' (pick your ethnic, regional, religous and/or income level group) of what they can.

It's a lot of people not thinking things through and pandering to the commited groups they think they might lose.. though for the life of me I don't see how.

Of course the loudest tool gets heeded. A lot of stuff has changed of late (just look at the over turn of the 'Personhood' laws and the total dickslapping some of the anti-union laws got recently) and it's clear that while the majority might be quiet, they aren't completely asleep anymore.

Torch

Quote from: Hemingway on November 09, 2011, 03:40:32 PM
Whenever I read about issues like this, I can't help but wonder what the real motivations of these people are. The U.S. tops abortion statistics,

Err....no.

The world leader in induced legal abortion is China, with approximately 9 million annually.

The number of abortions in the US is about 1 million a year, give or take.

Here's a good page on worldwide abortion stats:

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/fb_IAW.html

Edited to add: It's actually amazing any abortions are performed in the US, considering that 88% of all counties in the US have no abortion providers. In rural areas, that number rises to 97%. The state of South Dakota has exactly one abortion provider for the entire state.
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

Hemingway

Quote from: Torch on November 09, 2011, 04:17:43 PM
Err....no.

The world leader in induced legal abortion is China, with approximately 9 million annually.

The number of abortions in the US is about 1 million a year, give or take.

Here's a good page on worldwide abortion stats:

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/fb_IAW.html

Edited to add: It's actually amazing any abortions are performed in the US, considering that 88% of all counties in the US have no abortion providers. In rural areas, that number rises to 97%. The state of South Dakota has exactly one abortion provider for the entire state.

It was my mistake. I was looking specifically at teen abortions, not for all age groups.

Edit: Here we go. http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/ib_0599.html ( chart D )

The U.S. does rank higher than western Europe - the countries listed, anyway. I stand corrected - but my point still stands.

ColdBloodedJellyDoughnut

There is a huge stigma attached to abortion no matter what the country. I got taught sex ed in both New Zealand and the UK and in neither of these countries was I told anything about abortion. Heavy on how pregnancy occurs, what STIs you can get and how to put on a condom, but nothing about alternative contraceptives, abortion or the consequences of a teenage pregnancies. Is it any wonder that there were five teen pregnancies at my NZ school in the 5 years I was there? Actually, there were probably more and I just didn't know about them.

My best friend, I love her, but she's a bit... loose and she is completely clueless when it comes to protecting herself for anything. At high school she had two pregnancy scares, and as an adult she's had two STIs. I heard on the radio this morning that there has been a resurgence of syphillis in teenagers in the UK. Syphillis. Seriously...

If organisations really want to minimise abortion (and I emphasise minimise because there will always be situations that cannot be avoided such as rape or simple mechanical failures etc) then sexual education needs to be upped. Kids have no idea how to protect themselves from pregnancy or STIs and this is the biggest issue really.
“I didn’t want to kiss you goodbye — that was the trouble — I wanted to kiss you goodnight. And there’s a lot of difference.”
Ernest Hemingway
O/Os**A/As

Iniquitous

I agree on sexual education needing to pushed to the forefront, however, I do not believe it should fall all to the schools. I believe the brunt of the weight should fall on the parents. If you have a child then you are committing yourself to raising and educating that child. Part of educating that child is teaching the child about sex and everything that goes with sex.

I did not wait for my kids to start learning about sex, procreation and contraceptives in school. I’ve always been open with them about it and pushed to make sure that they would feel comfortable talking to me about it. I’ve also made sure that they understand the consequences of sex and not protecting themselves. When my son came to me to ask me how old was old enough to have sex, I sat him down and went through medical books and pictures to show him what sexually transmitted diseases look like, what they do to the body and how they can be caught as well as transmitted. I also explained that just because his body was ready for sex did not mean his mind and his emotions were ready. I’ve let them babysit (with me in the house) infants so they could begin to understand what having a child was like. Needless to say, both of my children knew more about sex and contraceptives than their classmates when they had sex ed class.

I think if all parents were as open and honest with their kids it would help, however, as you said there will always be abortions. And it is not the prerogative of everyone else to tell someone what they can and cannot do with their body.
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

Avis habilis

Quote from: Iniquitous Opheliac on November 10, 2011, 03:20:13 PM
I’ve let them babysit (with me in the house) infants so they could begin to understand what having a child was like.

That right there might be the best method of birth control ever invented. A friend of mine had her kids 14 years apart. Her son said that watching them with an infant was the reason he had always taken extreme precautions.

Callie Del Noire

I honestly don't think most parents know enough (or are impartial enough with their kids) to do a good job as sex ed teachers. My mom sat my brother and I down and gave us a frank and scarey lecture on sex and STDs.. but she was a labor and delivery nurse for 20 years and this was JUST after the facts with AIDS/HIV came out. And if I recall it was just after she'd delivered the first HIV positive baby she'd helped deliver. The mother was crying as she gave birth, so scared that her boyfriend had 'killed' her and her baby. (Turned out he had catted around and there were something like six other girls he might have infected)

ColdBloodedJellyDoughnut

It needs to be a balance. As Callie says, most parents don't know enough themselves to properly talk about sex with their children. Not only that, but it's super awkward. I learnt more from my friends and the internet than I did from school or my parents. Sex doesn't ever enter our vocabulary, even now I'm in my 20s.
“I didn’t want to kiss you goodbye — that was the trouble — I wanted to kiss you goodnight. And there’s a lot of difference.”
Ernest Hemingway
O/Os**A/As

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: ColdBloodedJellyDoughnut on November 10, 2011, 03:39:34 PM
It needs to be a balance. As Callie says, most parents don't know enough themselves to properly talk about sex with their children. Not only that, but it's super awkward. I learnt more from my friends and the internet than I did from school or my parents. Sex doesn't ever enter our vocabulary, even now I'm in my 20s.

It's not taht I mean to be mean to the average parent, but after my mom's talk and the introduction to STDs I got in the Navy. A very very frank presentation. It's not the sort of thing folks would show their kids. It was very scary and terrifying.

ColdBloodedJellyDoughnut

My mum is a nurse and couldn't talk to me about it. She showed me pictures of tar filled lungs, but couldn't do the sex talk and even got uncomfortable when telling me about periods. It's an awkward situation.
Ernest Hemingway
O/Os**A/As

Star Safyre

Best lesson in birth control I ever got was in school when I was 13.

The teacher was given a brand new means of teaching us: a laserdisk!  She had no idea how to work the thing, so after showing us the first live human birth I'd ever witnessed ("Eww..."), she couldn't find a way to get back to the main menu, so she simply ran the chapter in reverse in slow motion ("GAH!  NO!  Stop!  Oh God, never ever!").  I wonder if any of the girls in that room ever had children.
My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Star Safyre on November 10, 2011, 07:38:20 PM

The teacher was given a brand new means of teaching us: a laserdisk!  She had no idea how to work the thing, so after showing us the first live human birth I'd ever witnessed ("Eww..."), she couldn't find a way to get back to the main menu, so she simply ran the chapter in reverse in slow motion ("GAH!  NO!  Stop!  Oh God, never ever!").  I wonder if any of the girls in that room ever had children.

Oh good lord.. I nearly sprayed my soda over all my monitors. That was just.. so so so wrong. I can imagine what ssort of fun the teacher got for that. Hell my teacher in history got in all sorts of trouble for showing some of the cleaner images of the Nazi death camps.. (including one old prick who claimed it was alla  damn lie)

Oniya

I'd put the coffee down first, thankfully.

I like this method of teaching.  I can see it being really effective in some places.

I'm not sure what's funnier:  The visual imagery (including the students' reactions) or the fact that she was trying to rewind a laser disk.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Iniquitous

In all honesty, I had no issues with showing my kids the gross, nasty, disgusting pictures of sexually transmitted diseases. I WANTED them to see it so it stuck in their minds. Considering that for two years I worked in a nursing home and I had to take care of a 40 year old man with syphilis who could no longer take care of himself and was dying - I wanted to drive it home to my kids. Now, I did not require my son to sit and watch a birthing video (he chose to on his own thinking it would be cool) but I did make my daughter. Naturally, her response was “thanks Mumma, I’m never, ever having kids” - a sentiment repeated after spending five hours tending to a teething seven month old baby.

Yes, my mom says I am scarring my kids for showing them ‘disgusting’ things and she thinks I am going ‘overboard’ but I know one thing for fact. Neither of my kids are willing to chance getting diseases now. I also know now that my kids are not going to believe the crap that other kids come up with (if you go sit on a toilet and let a man’s stuff drip out after sex you wont get pregnant - or the one that really had me blinking - if you put a rubber band around the base of a guy’s penis he can’t get off and you won’t get pregnant).

Torch

after showing us the first live human birth I'd ever witnessed ("Eww...")

Demon spawn #1 was in the delivery room when I gave birth to demon spawn #2. She was six years old.

To this day she complains that we scarred her for life, but the friend I had taking care of her during the delivery (a neighbor who worked as a NICU nurse) reported that she merely looked over a couple of times and said "Eww, gross", and then went back to her coloring books.  ::)
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

Lilias

Quote from: Iniquitous Opheliac on November 10, 2011, 09:02:58 PM
also know now that my kids are not going to believe the crap that other kids come up with (if you go sit on a toilet and let a man’s stuff drip out after sex you wont get pregnant - or the one that really had me blinking - if you put a rubber band around the base of a guy’s penis he can’t get off and you won’t get pregnant).

So McGyvering a condom out of a crisp packet bag hasn't reached the other side of the pond yet? No wonder the UK is top of Europe in teen pregnancy...

The Monster and the Spawn are 14 years apart as well, and although she wasn't present at the delivery (she first saw him when he was about 8 hours old), she experienced his care firsthand - they still share a room. 'He's adorable, I'm going to keep him for myself!' - 'Hey, get your own baby!' - 'I'll pass' used to be a frequent conversation between us. ;D
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

TheVillain

>Came in here to raise a little hell.
>Read Thread.
>It's pretty much covered.

Heh.

Thought I do think I should point out that if you read Leviticus Chapters 3 and 27 with Numbers Chapter 5 you find that the Biblethumpers are wrong. They base their entire argument on one verse, biblically speaking. But in those three chapters we see that-

A.) God is not only cool with Abortion but insists that it's Mandatory in some circumstances, most commonly if a married woman is pregnant from cheating on her husband.
B.) God has a preferred method of performing Abortions, which is not pleasant as it's supposed to be a punishment for Adultery as well.
C.) That the traditional Biblical Punishment for doing anything to a pregnant woman that causes her to terminate the pregnancy early is. . .

A Fine. The same god who nuked Sodom and Gomorrah for supposedly having too many homosexuals thought that if you terminate a pregnancy you owed her husband or a male relative some money, whichever was closer.

So why do you suppose these people are defying God's Will in the name of God's Will?

>Used to be a Presbyterian Fundamentalist.
My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

Oniya

Actually, homosexuality wasn't the real issue with Sodom and Gomorrah, according to John Boswell's 'Christianity, Social Tolerance, and Homosexuality'. 

Ezekiel 16:49 - 50, "Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy. And they were haughty, and committed abomination before me: therefore I took them away as I saw good." 

So - pride, possibly gluttony, sloth, and a lack of charity.  'Committed abomination' is rather unspecific, and could be something as off-the-wall as serving shrimp cocktails.  There are other references, all the way through the Gospels, and they focus on pride and inhospitality (which was a very big deal in the Middle East at the time).  It's not until you get into much later books (specifically 2 Peter and Jude) that sex comes into it at all.

>watches way too many weird documentaries, and actually read the whole thing - unlike the 'Thumpers.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

TheVillain

Right, forgot that part. Now that you mention it though I remember making in argument in my teen bible reading class that taking an anti-homo sex stance from the story was ridiculous as the only time anything sexual is even really mention is hinting at gang rape, regardless of the genders of the people involved.

Stirred a few bits of shit with that one, as you might of guessed.
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

Oniya

I'm the one that freaked out my catechism teacher by putting down the story of 'the woman clothed with the sun' as my favorite part of the Bible. ;D

She claimed she couldn't find that one.

Iniquitous

I just have to say this….

I <3 Oniya. She is a font of endless knowledge! I’d claim her so I could mine all the information out of her but I don’t think anyone would let me lol.

TheVillain

I know, Revelations is still my favorite book too. Some prime apocalyptic scat beat, man.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on November 11, 2011, 08:57:35 PM
I'm the one that freaked out my catechism teacher by putting down the story of 'the woman clothed with the sun' as my favorite part of the Bible. ;D

She claimed she couldn't find that one.

Ah Catechism Class.. how I remember you.. taking it in a Church of Ireland church, then going to an Irish Catholic school. Confusing and weird. St. John's Battery Rd. Longford.

It's kind of scary that I can remember the address soooo many years later.

TheGlyphstone

Huh. They did something almost identical in our High School health class (15-16ish) when teaching Sex Ed, but it was deliberately featured once each year. The 'baby born in reverse' segment was considered the highlight of the entire class, and people looked forward to it. ;D