"Healslut" in a D&D party (looking for DM + party?)

Started by snowdrop, November 17, 2017, 10:35:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chajesdad

The tiefling would work and the drow, if of the Followers of Eilistrae would work but when we get down to the subterranean drow, in an overworld campaign... I see a severe problem with a king offering his daughter up to someone with connections that would make it virtually impossible for him to retrieve her. See my issue? This is supposed to be a lesson in the horrors of the world, not an execution or banishment.
What were you thinking just now?

https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=31109 Ons and Offs

Chajesdad

Please remember, you are all part of a group that has proven its loyalty to the crown.

Reno

Yeah, I wasn't thinking anything fancy or party-breaking like that. This was the concept I had in mind:

"Click"
Tiefling Rogue

Christened "Click" in his youth, for the sound that would emanate all too frequently from his sleeping hollow while he fiddled and practiced with locks and similar devices, there are few, if any, among the living that know his true name. When asked,  he claims not to remember it himself, and when pressed, he becomes evasive, falling back on snark or darkly humorous anecdotes ("Well, I remember my mother calling me 'You Worthless Horned-Faced Freak' a lot, but 'Click' rolls more easily off the tongue," e.g.).

Cynical from a young age(unsurprisingly, considering his heritage and the common reaction to it), and now so jaded that he is, perhaps, the only thief who would not be considered out of place in a Wuxian Imperial Museum, Click holds no great love for King nor Crown, in spite of his well-established history service to both. Sharp-eyed and quick-witted, he observed early on that a sufficiently influential patron would excuse a multitude of sins, and who was more influential than the Monarchy? Instead of dancing at the rope for plying his trade, he was well-rewarded for it, instead; and should one of his more personal "enterprises" capture the attention of the local law, it was a heavy name to be dropped.  He was quite content with the arrangement, and took great care not to strain it beyond its breaking point. It also took him away from "civilization" for stretches of time, which was something he needed more than he would admit, even to himself. The thrill, risk, and danger of the wilds and the forgotten places made him feel alive when the daily drudgery and inanity of "civilization" would choke him.

He is usually seen wearing a strip of red cloth tied around his head, ostensibly to keep his shaggy hair out of his eyes; it also covers the two tiny, unimpressive horns that sprout from his forehead; it's become more a matter of habit or personal tradition than of subterfuge, as his round, tapered tongue is more than sufficient to betray his tainted bloodline to even a casual observer any time he speaks. Few have even seen the patch of thick, scarred flesh at the base of his spine; his lovers learn quickly not to ask about it.

eBadger

Really hot and fits the concept wins it for Maki!  And no worries, she has personality beyond insistent dominatrix  ;)

Any creation guidelines in mind yet, so I can start with the crunchy bits?

Kathyan

Quote from: eBadger on November 19, 2017, 01:31:38 PM
Really hot and fits the concept wins it for Maki!  And no worries, she has personality beyond insistent dominatrix  ;)

Any creation guidelines in mind yet, so I can start with the crunchy bits?
Well I would certainly enjoy being pushed around by an insistent dominatrix ^^ which would make me think bringing my paladin to the table if yours wasn't one already... though perhaps ::) ..., since we would be a party of 4 people of level 7 depending on the healing of a level 2-3 oracle.

So Chaj would occult characters be allowed, I'm also thinking on building a mesmerist

eBadger

Obviously up to chaj, but the most interesting groups I've played have been totally unbalanced. 

And if Maki has to stop in the middle of a battle to heal up, when the princess has ONE JOB, there are going to be some consequences   >:)

Chajesdad

A bit of side healing may not be frowned upon, and a good reason for punishment when she falls behind the curve. Perhaps a few wands provided to the party, a full wand (50 charges) Cure Light Wounds, another 34 charges of Cure Moderate Wounds. Remember, initially the job they are being sent on is one that they are shall we say, over-qualified. To give them time and lee way to do the things that will teach his daughter what the world is like.

Not familiar with the mesmerist, though reviewing the SRD, I have no issues with the class.

Sorry all, high fantasy point-buy 20 points.

snowdrop

Quote from: eBadger on November 19, 2017, 03:01:00 PMAnd if Maki has to stop in the middle of a battle to heal up, when the princess has ONE JOB, there are going to be some consequences   >:)
That's kinda exactly what I'm hoping for ;)

It's a big reason why I suggested in the first place that my character would be significantly lower level -- I'd hate as a player to have to pretend to do badly, and I'm definitely going to try my very best to play the best healer I can; but in the case of this story, failing is fun, so the expectations should be unrealistic :D

Reno

Quote from: Chajesdad on November 19, 2017, 03:12:02 PM
Sorry all, high fantasy point-buy 20 points.

"Unchained Rogue" seems a bit more "cinematic" than Core Rogue. Is that acceptable?

eBadger

Chajesdad

Doomsday

Quote from: Chajesdad on November 19, 2017, 11:12:20 AM
     Maki rings truest to the story concept I have, though both are solid concepts and I do agree that Valor may have more play options. In the end, both are workable characters. Maki just runs to my flare of destiny and prophecy in a high magic world. I am going to leave it in your hands, either will work. If you cannot decide flip a coin and as the coin flips you will know which one you are hoping to play. The actual result of the coin flip rarely matters.

Concepts should be finalized over the next week, I think starting the game would be slow through the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. That thought incurred, we could get through the intros and meet and greet portion of the game. I can easily see running with snowdrop and four players who are dedicated and willing to keep to a moving schedule. Think upon your time availability, schedules and social needs and see if three posts a week in character is within your wheelhouse, as such I will be taking character concepts and narrowing the field as I can. I am not saying I won't have six players, I am saying that I don't want a heavy crew crush the story because of scheduling conflicts across the board. I am not trying to kill the enthusiasm, this is a great concept, but I am not able to run a proper Pathfinder game with a crew this heavy.

Snowdrop
eBadger
Kathyan
Annisthyrienne
Reno
Guancyto
Naiad
Muse
Doomsday
Ziether

Player level will be 7, with our healslut coming in at a high two, specifically 2700 exp.

I'll drop interest considering the surplus of interest and my unfamiliarity with Pathfinder. Have fun y'all!

TFcommando

Quote from: snowdrop on November 19, 2017, 03:53:26 PM
That's kinda exactly what I'm hoping for ;)

It's a big reason why I suggested in the first place that my character would be significantly lower level -- I'd hate as a player to have to pretend to do badly, and I'm definitely going to try my very best to play the best healer I can; but in the case of this story, failing is fun, so the expectations should be unrealistic :D

This game coalesced quickly!  Too full to hop in on (though a haughty princess blaster sorceress who knows the drill could be fun).

One thing of note for the Pathfinder meta game is that healing in combat is not an optimal action.   A cleric is better off casting buff or debut spells and attacking instead of healing, for example. Post combat healing can be handled with a wand of cure light wounds, making a healbot optional.

If the characters are aware of this IC-ly, even a well built, current level healer might not be regarded as a fully useful party member.

Side note for if/when a cleric was used... giving her a collar with her holy symbol attached to it so she wouldn’t lose it even when stripped naked by circumstances.
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in
Canon Character Roleplay and System-based Roleplay

eBadger

I like the collar idea.  Also piercing and tattoo options, depending on what kinks we want to hit. 

TFcommando

Quote from: eBadger on November 19, 2017, 06:16:59 PM
I like the collar idea.  Also piercing and tattoo options, depending on what kinks we want to hit.

Using nipple piercings to hold ring slot items could be fun.  "This way you won't lose these... they're expensive!"  Collars for the cloak slot!  And magic tattoos are a level 5 item, so they'd be available!

I'll go ahead and make a pitch!

Scylla Menador (not her real name)

A noble daughter of (the city)(or even a bastard daughter of the king or queen), she had a powerful (elemental or infernal) bloodline which was quite inconvenient for the nobility of the city... having a powerful noble dallying with an inhuman creature like that would be quite the scandal, and she'd be living proof it happened!  To avoid that for the good of the city, Scylla is on the road as an adventurer pretty much all of the time, doing her bit for the kingdom and following her interests in history, arcane lore and sex.   She's picked up a taste for freedom that most noblewomen couldn't even dream of and has given free rein to a lot of her baser urges.  The idea of going back for good isn't as appealing as it used to be.  And now here's this cute little thing who COULD have everything she had to give up, practically going on vacation!  She'll keep her safe, but teach her some lessons too, and dirty up that purity.  It won't do her any good in the long run anyway.

So, sorceress, either a primal fire elemental bloodline (for blasting) or perhaps Infernal (for Charm), dressing (or not dressing) in the typical "evil sorceress" way.  Chaotic Good, as she's been ill served by lawfulness.

A side note... sorcerers have access to the Infernal Healing spell.  When used, "the target detects as an evil creature for the duration of the spell and can sense the evil of the magic, though this has no long-term effect on the target’s alignment."  How would the princess feel if she was forbidden to heal herself and the others used methods like that on her? :)
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in
Canon Character Roleplay and System-based Roleplay

Naiad

Got a quick question for you, Chaj: what kind of environments do you envision this adventure taking us? I've got a rough concept formulating in my mind, and I'm wistfully eying the Hunter class and the potential for a roc animal companion. Think it might be interesting, both for mechanical and thematic reasons, but possibly less than practical, if we're, say, going to be adventuring and/or investigating in cities or caves very often. Do you have any thoughts or suggestions on the matter?

Chajesdad

Closing recruitment at this time. Please build a character concept and PM me with it, even if you have posted one here.

At this time the party has been made aware of a need to travel to pastoral farmland to deal with widespread raiding on their borderland farms. Dense forests a swamp and low mountains are the nearby topography and kobolds and goblins have made the majority of the raids. The thing that warrants this group is that exceptional strategy seems to be used in flushing out the guard and avoiding capture during raids, even setting traps for the guard.

There is the possibility that there will be diving into the lairs of such creatures, though there will also be overland travel and many outdoors activity and encounters.

AndyZ

I'm not much for Pathfinder, but I wanted to offer a suggestion:

If you're looking for one healer to keep the entire group healed, having that healer at a very low level isn't going to cut it for an actual game.  What might work, though, is having the healer at the same level as everyone but not allowing the full set of powers that a healer might normally have.

For example, CoDZilla was mentioned, meaning how clerics and druids generally get insanely powerful in 3.5.  If the healer can't cast anything but healing spells, though, you don't have to worry about that issue as much.

I would therefore suggest using normal stats but not allowing the princess access to weapons, armor, spells that don't directly offer healing or make other PCs more powerful, magic items beyond those that would help in healing, or anything like that.

Just an idea for you ^_^
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

snowdrop

Here's the concept I have for the princess right now, maybe it'll spark some inspiration in someone else~

Now off to trying to crunch through the rest of the actual character creation process -- Pathfinder sure looks intimidating compared to 5e, I have to say! :D D:

Princess Livia di Elandor
Human Oracle
Ability scores
Strength: 8
Dexterity: 14
Constitution: 12
Intelligence: 10
Wisdom: 8
Charisma: 20

Being the youngest child and only daughter of King Lucas di Elandor, Livia had always been seen to have an easy life in front of her. Her three older brothers ensured she would be nowhere near becoming heir to the crown, and strong and charismatic as they all were, the younger brothers had all the important military and political offices earmarked for them. All Princess Livia was expected to do was look pretty, act graceful, and be the perfect example of how the kingdom had both strong men and beautiful women.

As far as looking pretty is concerned, she definitely grew up to meet the expectations. The cute little princess grew up to be a stunning teenager, her small and petite frame supporting an ample bosom and round butt, her long, thick auburn locks being the envy of all women in the kingdom, and her disarming smile charming everyone she met at first sight.

But it was the "acting gracefully" part where Livia had quite a bit of trouble. She was always a bit of a naive and wild child. Even as a kid, she much preferred running in the woods to sitting in the palace, and got herself into all kinds of trouble on a daily basis. She loved the outdoors with all its wildlife, trees and flowers; she loved it much too much for her father's liking. He'd much prefer for her to stay indoors, study the arts and music, and prepare herself to one day be the perfect political bride.

If that wasn't enough, when Livia reached puberty, she realized she could see more in the animals and plants as she thought possible. She saw the lifeforce in every living thing around her. She could see when things were hurt in a way no one else seemed to be able to. And she realized she had the power to make them better, make them not hurt anymore.

Livia felt an extremely strong compulsion to help everyone and everything around her. She wasn't just running around in the woods for her own enjoyment -- she was running around in the woods, nursing wounded animals and sick people. And absolutely enraging her father, who was both angry at the reputation she was building and worried about her safety. Livia spent more time grounded in the palace than not, and yet she always found a way to run out and adventure once again.

Then came the last drop for King Lucas. Now a rebellious eighteen-year-old, Livia was dead set on becoming an real adventurer, a travelling healer, going around and helping people in need. Disguised as a commoner, she found a band of ragtag vigilantes who wanted to break up a crime ring in town. A battle ensued between the vigilantes and the thugs, which could have ended quite badly, if it wasn't for the King's Guard who happened to come by.

The guards instantly recognized the princess, who was taken to the king. He was furious! Not only was Livia using her strange oracle powers which no cleric in the kingdom could properly explain; not only was she risking her health and reputation getting involved with common thugs; she was most of all risking the King's reputation: if he can't even control his own daughter, how could he control an entire kingdom? King Lucas vowed to keep Livia locked up in the palace indefinitely, until she could eventually be married and no longer be his problem.

The rebellious teenager would not take it. She had already made up her mind; she wanted to be an adventurer. She would run away, now. Livia confided in her closest friend and ally in the palace, her handmaiden, and begged her to find a way out of the palace.

Unfortunately for Livia, as loyal as her handmaiden was to her, she was even more loyal to the king and the crown. She told the king of Livia's plan right away... allowing him to device a plan of his own.

Muse

There are archetypes that emphases healing.

Edit:  Oh, I see.  you're doing an oracle.  Sorry.  :)  I posted that from my phone while waiting for a plane. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Chulanowa

Chajesdad

Sorry Chulanowa, we have closed recruitment and are considering trimming back a bit.

Chajesdad

It was made clear that we were unaware of Background Skills and such, so adding this for clarity, for they apply.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/background-skills/

Reno

Quote from: Chajesdad on November 21, 2017, 04:29:43 PM
It was made clear that we were unaware of Background Skills and such, so adding this for clarity, for they apply.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/background-skills/

Sweet. Any of the other "Optional Rule systems" in place?

Chajesdad

Traits and Drawbacks, though I say if you use traits, you must match one for one with drawbacks after the first. And no more than three traits.