Looking for another High School Slice of Life Comedy but in BESM 3 instead

Started by steelsmiter, December 26, 2014, 12:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelsmiter

I ran Hentai High over here using an indie set of rules. I ran it over on RPoL as University using that same set of rules. Those rules have long since advanced well past the point I would want to try picking them back up again. Someone on RPoL asked me what I'd do for a Harem Comedy game set in a high scool and I did this.

So now I might consider running another game using BESM 3 in conjunction with those rules and some adult rules I made. I deleted the rules from my O/O page, but I might put them back there.
I don't play in PMs
Who wants to join an incest registry?
O/Os
Download RPGs I wrote on my Discord!
So anyway I guess I'm steelsmiter on fetlife now. Hit me up and tell me you're from E!

Zaer Darkwail

So, if this is harem game will it be traditional harem or reverse harem? Or is it general about PC's trying top popular folks who have harems around them?

Anyways interesting approach and I think with bit adding other elements like supernatural students (ghosts, vampires, demons etc) or just school for those with super powers could add interesting twists. But press on that it's not combat game but social (and part intrigue) one.

steelsmiter

Not fond of reverse harems myself, so if someone wants to use those rules to run one, it'd be their call, not mine (they should make a different thread if they do though). I'd hope that with the "tweaked character death rule" on the rule set I provided, it should be almost a given that combat takes low priority.

Still, I like the idea of allowing supernatural students, so I may consider setting point values rather high.

Maybe "Harem" isn't quite the right word as it indicates 1 "master" character and a bunch of others of his/her preferred gender Perhaps "High School Slice of Life"?
I don't play in PMs
O/Os
So anyway I guess I'm steelsmiter on fetlife now. Hit me up and tell me you're from E!

Zaer Darkwail

Yeah, it would make sense it's generic high school setting plus supernatural students in there. Kind of like Rosario+Vampire anime. Albeit up to you decide are the humans only 'smuggled' into academy (and thus by default those students have 2pts in Dark Secret defect) or it's project where humans and monsters study together to help try reduce tension between majority (humans) vs minority (monsters) in future generations.

Plus there are dozens fans of the 'Living with monster girl' comic so that can bring interesting relationship/school romances. Or friendships or such. Anyways I would think various supernatural traits would spice up the school life (more so as some could allow 'cheating' unless teacher is capable detecting it or have powers of his own counter measure it). Or the cheating is allowed (pr even expected) so long your not caught doing it (as cheating indicates resourcefulness which can be useful in real life after school and work place).

steelsmiter

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on December 26, 2014, 01:03:23 PM
Yeah, it would make sense it's generic high school setting plus supernatural students in there. Kind of like Rosario+Vampire anime. Albeit up to you decide are the humans only 'smuggled' into academy (and thus by default those students have 2pts in Dark Secret defect) or it's project where humans and monsters study together to help try reduce tension between majority (humans) vs minority (monsters) in future generations.

Plus there are dozens fans of the 'Living with monster girl' comic so that can bring interesting relationship/school romances. Or friendships or such. Anyways I would think various supernatural traits would spice up the school life (more so as some could allow 'cheating' unless teacher is capable detecting it or have powers of his own counter measure it). Or the cheating is allowed (pr even expected) so long your not caught doing it (as cheating indicates resourcefulness which can be useful in real life after school and work place).
Well, if I were running a Supernatural Academy, it would probably be a secret on its own. I could always just say that anyone who isn't exibiting powers hasn't discovered them yet. Your example of cheating makes me want to have a teacher with Dynamic Powers (Academic Honesty) and (Detention).

It seems like it would be difficult to detain some supers though... Benchmarks could help there (such as by setting limits on things like Insubstantial).
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Zaer Darkwail

Yeah, however if want play ghost they could have maxed out insubstantial but have flaw it cannot be turned off.

steelsmiter

We still have the problem of Detention for ghosts. They're basically not subject to it.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Zaer Darkwail

If they haunt school grounds yeah, but if they are roaming ghosts and thus are not bound to remain in school. Perhaps their detention comes in form of robbing their freedom by binding them into bottles, jewelry etc for next day?

steelsmiter

Seems rather pointless for Insubstantial 10. Here's what I'm going to do:

300 point characters with Mythical benchmarks except:
QuoteMaximum Attribute Level may be doubled for the following Attributes: Armour, Combat Technique, Features, Force Field, Sixth Sense, and Special Defence.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Angie

I've read some of the BESM book, mostly when someone was trying to awkwardly cram BESM and D&D together (it was painful). I'd be up for giving a new system a try, if you don't mind a noob joining!
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

steelsmiter

There's several BESM books. I'm not doing BESM d20 or BESM 2e, just so we're clear. Which BESM book did you read?
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Angie

Can't really remember. Pretty sure he was trying to cram the 3rd edition Merits and Flaws (or whatever they're called) into D&D...with Gestalht rules...yeah, it was weird. Anyway, while I'm a newb to BESM, I've been doing tabletop for 5 years now, so I can pick it up pretty easy.

Zaer Darkwail

We are using 3th edition (I assume). We can help with char gen and rule explanation easy enough :). Or easier start with char concept which is solidly written and work from there.

Angie

Well crap, I tried getting the pdf off RPGDriveThru, but apparently that's no longer offered. Maybe I can get it from another store...

steelsmiter

I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Angie

Quote from: steelsmiter on December 26, 2014, 02:42:11 PM
That appears to not be the case.

Yeah, but when I click 'add to cart', it tells me my order has no items. I thought it was like, a broken link or something, so I decided to try adding it to my wishlist and then adding to cart, only to be told that PDF download no longer exists for BESM 3rd Edition.

steelsmiter

I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Angie

Quote from: steelsmiter on December 26, 2014, 02:47:50 PM
I wonder if adding "pdf" to your search terms changes things?

Well it does direct me to other, less reputable places and methods. DrivethruRPG is the one place that actually intends to sell it, but it just isn't there.

steelsmiter

Oh Iwas just wondering if some of them indexed it with the inclusion of 'pdf'. Apparently not. RPGNow is the only other one I can think of.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Angie

I'll figure something out. I'm a smart person, I can do something.

Angie

And I have it! So, mythical point-buy? I have some reading to do...

steelsmiter

I'm also thinking about normalizing Stats at either 3, 4, and 5, or 4, 5, and 6, for simplicity which would take either 120 or 150 of the 300 CP.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Angie

Hm, well, the option I'd go with depends on how 'high power' you want the game to be. Since it's more comedic, I'd say go with the 3 4 5 option.

steelsmiter

Well, I'll also have sexual rules I need to repost. Mostly faculty, but I understand some students may want those. Not to mention, there's a good bit of morphological detail, rather than strictly being a sexual supplement.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os