Error 405

Started by Missy, October 08, 2012, 05:07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Missy

I'm not sure if anyone else was having problems, or of exactly what the problem was, but from shortly after 4PM until sometime after 5PM I was trying to navigate the forums and continuously got an 'Error 405 - Gateway Timeout' message.

QuoteWhatever it was, your request took too long to process. This usually happens because of a deadlock in the database. Take note of the time, wait a few minutes, and try again. You can click on the error above to return to the forums.

I'm not an expert on computer software enough to know anything about it or if it's a sign of a notable concern with the site or not, but I think I can conclude it wasn't a problem on my end as I was able to surf the rest of the net unimpeded and was even able to play Starcraft and watch hulu without issue.

In any case I hope the site is fine and if not what little information I can offer in my extraordinary lack of expertise is helpful in resolving the issue before it becomes even more problematic.

Thanks!

Lilias

We had the same issue over here. Something went doolally with the server, I suspect, since little sister site WEaT was unresponsive as well. Probably Veks will let us know as soon as he's done fixing things.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Missy

Well I didn't know what was up or if he knew about it, I mean I can't imagine he has the time to keep an eye on the place on a 24/7 basis. So I figured the right thing to do would be to drop a line about it and let him decide what to do with it.

Also it actually said '504' not '405' see how much I know about whether to be concerned or not!?

Cecilia

If you're ever wondering for sure you can go to this site and check it out:
http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

In this case, E was down--as were the other sites on the same server.  Staff is usually on top of such things, and you can always tweet or IM one of us if you don't know whether or not we are online or aware of the situation.  As soon as I see E or my own site down, Someone on staff usually sends Veks a message or text so he knows.  He very often tweets progress reports from @Vekseid or @elliquiy when things are really wonky and longer outages are expected.

Geraint

In this  case, when I checked at the start of the outage, and once in the middle, Down for Everyone was reporting both Elliquiy and World Enough and Time as up.  Indeed the entry page for both was accessible throughout (or at least until 5:30 when I finally gave up) .

Curiously, the outage was not as absolute on WE&T.  Elliquiy would not load at all for the entire hour and half I followed the outage.   WE&T would load, but very slowly.  I actually managed a post there during that time, though it took about ten minutes, five to open the posting window, and another five to post once submitted.

I'm not sure what all of this means, but though I would add information on the nature of the outage. 

edited to correct typos

Vekseid

4xx errors are 'your' fault, while 5xx errors are the servers 'mine' >_>

Apparently I went to sleep about a half hour before the site went down for about two and a half hours. fml.

Still researching exactly what happened but I can see it clearly in the load log.

To be honest it's looking like we really do need a new server. 50% iowait throughout the downed period.

Unfortunately I think people are tired of calls for money. Blech.

Vekseid

Ugh. Well I found the culprit for now I think.

Oreo

You are teh awesome, Veks. *squishy hugs*

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin