Hi-Tec, Lo-Life (Cyberpunk)

Started by Moraline, June 30, 2015, 05:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moraline

I'm a big fan of the cyberpunk genre but I don't really like systems so I've been batting around an idea with stats just to act as guidelines - but no system mechanics.
I'm leaning towards a setting inspired by the godfather of cyberpunk, "Neuromancer" by William Gibson.

I've started jotting down a few notes about the setting I had in mind and created a discussion thread for it.

Neuromancer - Cyberpunk
Neuromancer (Cyberpunk) Discussions (OPEN)
<Everyone is invited to participate in the discussion.>

Ideally I'm looking for a Co-GM or something to help flush out the idea and maybe get a group going.

Looking to see if any players might be interested as well. The concept would be gritty, violent, and hopefully full of dirty sexy timez.

SEX DRUGS and ROCK n ROLL!

Wolfling72

I have been reading your setting thread...(I also have every single Gibson novel ever so I know that particular story trope inside and out.) If you ever do get something together, I would totally be interested in seeing where it goes.
O/O's
Snippets
A/A's
Wolfi Recommends- changes weekly
Keep it vampirated and melanated.

Moraline

You should pop over into the discussion thread and say hi. I'd love to get some of your feedback. Sounds like you are a bit of a Gibson expert. Maybe some tips on maintaining the feel of the setting. Even little things can help.

Any chance you are interested in co-gm'ing or anything?

Wolfling72

Gonna pop in there some time today (at work right this second.) I am not an expert by any means BUT I do love the whole feeling of his Sprawl trilogy (and his A1 trilogy too) so I do know a lot about engendering that particular mood, even if one doesn't have ALL of it together.
O/O's
Snippets
A/A's
Wolfi Recommends- changes weekly
Keep it vampirated and melanated.

Chrystal

Ooooh! Me me me!

And I'm wondering.... If I can drag a friend in... Wolfie dear, you and me are going to have to gang up on Amz, bully hir into joining. This would be right up hir street, but shi doesn't like group games because of the posting frequency...

At least shi should be contributing to the discussion! I don't know any better authority on Gibson!

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Moraline

Now I just need to find some potentially interested GM's or Co-GMs.. that's always the hard part. I'm not sure I'm ready to take on another GM role.. I've got a couple more group games maybe coming down the pipes as it is.

Chrystal

I will Co-GM, as long as I'm not the only Co-GM. Because part of being a Co-GM is to step into the GM's shoes if she can't continue and I have too much going down myself to actually run this.

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Haztur

I love cyberpunk (lol but shadowrun's system is too damn complicated) and actually I finished Nuromancer less than a week ago and I am in love with Gibson's setting.

I would really like to take part of on a runin the Sprawl :D
"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained"
-Mark Twain

Chrystal

Quote from: Haztur on July 20, 2015, 01:01:55 AM
shadowrun's system is too damn complicated

I hear ya! I almost joined the first Shadowrun game that someone started here a couple of years back (it's still going), but when I looked at the rule book, I just had a brain-meltdown.

Haztur

Quote from: Chrystal on July 20, 2015, 03:54:04 AM
I hear ya! I almost joined the first Shadowrun game that someone started here a couple of years back (it's still going), but when I looked at the rule book, I just had a brain-meltdown.

we played for half a year a very good game... lol but I am sure we didn't use all the rules and we used a very good character geenrator, that helped tons with regard of the use of rules for everyone.
"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained"
-Mark Twain

Moraline

Hello Haztur, you should pop by the discussion and world building threads that I have linked in the first post of this thread.

I'm really wanted a freeform game but we need a GM that's willing to take the helm. I'm trying to avoid doing it myself because as much as I love the setting and cyberpunk in general, I'm just not an expert in the setting.

Haztur

I am there, just reading a little bit too slowly, mixing it with a couple other things.

but aye i am checking in what you are working, loved the "pet" animal section.
-Mark Twain

Nowherewoman

I would offer to co-GM, but I know my ferrethead will make me lose focus, and that's not fair to everyone else.
Instead of obsessing on the person you want to be, focus on who you DON'T want to be. It's much easier to not do certain things than to break your head on some ideal of yourself.

When the dust settles, you may find out you've become who you were supposed to be all along.

more me here now!  (O/Os, ideas and junk): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=215830.0

and mea culpas  (A/As): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221151.0

Moraline

Quote from: Haztur on July 20, 2015, 07:21:47 PM
I am there, just reading a little bit too slowly, mixing it with a couple other things.

but aye i am checking in what you are working, loved the "pet" animal section.
I believe that was Nowherewoman's idea. NW helped with a lot of the concepts.

Quote from: Nowherewoman on July 20, 2015, 07:21:59 PM
I would offer to co-GM, but I know my ferrethead will make me lose focus, and that's not fair to everyone else.
No worries. Chrys said she'd co-gm a bit too.

With something like this, we really do need a good GM to draw up an adventure/mission for us. I don't think I would have the time to do that. I also run into troubles because I'm on far East Coast Canada so my timezones always throw me out of the posting time frames of everyone. To late for Euro/UK, and to early for North/South American. No need to even mention Asia pacific.

Would be nice if we could even just get like a "Mission GM" Or maybe people that rotated with creating small missions for us. (Yes, I know, I dream big)

Not sure if it would work as a sandbox type of game.

Chrystal

Hey, if you want missions, I can do them, and give you a mission brief. Heck, I have some ready made missions from a game I tried to run way back when, that could easily be adapted to whatever is required. And being the team's hacker would mean that Gecko would have knowledge of the mission anyway without me metagaming.

... The fact that she's quadriplegic means that she's never going to be actually taking part physically in any mission, but that doesn't mean she isn't going to be in danger!

What I won't be able to do is the donkey work of keeping the game going.

Moraline

I'll keep it in mind about the missions. Thanks, Chrys.

Chrystal

It really all depends on whether you want good guys or bad guys or mercenaries who work for the highest bidder, really. But even so the "bad-guy" plots I have can be mirror-imaged to make them good-guy plots.