A Song of Ice and Fire Series

Started by Mogwin, February 04, 2013, 03:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mogwin

So what do the dwellers of Elliquiy think of the last two published books?

Sasquatch421

No clue...I'm patiently wait for A Dance of Dragons to hit paperback....At some point.

Naiah

Not a huuge fan of the last one, was kinda expecting more and something else.. Sorta annoys me how he feels the need to go do weird things, i.e zombie Cate and ent Bran.

Mogwin

The whole pissed off zombie Catelyn creeped me out too.  It seems like the entire story is just becoming too loose and losing purpose.  Unless Martin's purpose is to give readers the most depressing ending in literary history.

Naiah

Thing that concerns me the most is that he is going to make a zombie Jon :( Man he is going to lose SO many fans if he does that..

Mogwin

*facepalm*

He better not turn into a revenge seeking Other or something.

Naiah

Well dont think he would become an Other as he wasnt killed by one of them, but do think Melisandre is going to bring him back to life, which makes me think it might be like Beric and Cate :(

Mogwin

Sounds like that's what's planned.  I'm still wondering what happened to Osha and Rickon.

Naiah

Prolly not much, hopefully nothing as weird as turning Bran into an ent..

Mogwin

That was a good weird though.  Sure he'll look like a humanoid stick of wood, but he'll experience a lot more of the world.

Naiah

Mogwin

Aww, would you rather he stay a sad crippled boy?

Naiah

He had more character as that, than some weirdass ent :P

Mogwin

I suppose there's that.  Wouldn't it be hilarious to hear Sansa's reaction on finding out her brother became a tree though?  xD

Naiah

A zombie mom, a potential zombie half brother and an ent, I think she would be thrilled :P

Rogue

May I request a spoilers tag in the opening post for those who haven't read the last two books? ::)

Quote from: Mogwin on February 05, 2013, 09:01:54 PM
Sounds like that's what's planned.  I'm still wondering what happened to Osha and Rickon.
He hasn't made a POV that's a King. Keep that in mind....  >:)

On the other hand, the main reason the 4th and 5th books seem to have lost purpose is because it's the biggest conglomeration of character POVs. So much so he had to split the 4th book into the 4th and 5th... I mean if it had flowed how he had wanted it we would have lost a lot of it from switching POVs so often. >.< As for Jon coming back... It may be a way to kill his POV but not his character since they already have another POV at the wall in Melisandre. He's also said he's not adding more POVs so he's probably killing them off. :) Think of all the places with the most POVs... some of them are going to die... *grins evilly*

Rhapsody

ADWD pissed me off. Between Tyrion's sudden attention to food and absolutely pointless sudden slavery, Cersei's "redemption", Dani suddenly acting like she's in high school (and yes, I get that she's 16, but you don't get to act like a queen this long and then have a sudden reversal into giggling empty airheadedness) and Targaryans crawling out of the woodwork, it just left me unsatisfied.

Add to that the fact that he took all this time because he couldn't figure how to solve the Meereenese knot -- how to get all these characters moving from different parts of the world to get to Meereen and Dani at the same time -- and then skipped out on doing it.

I will read the Winds of Winter when (if) it comes out, but I'm not holding out much hope that the series will return to its pre-Feast awesomeness. Too many characters; too many POVs.
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.

Mogwin

Yeah, too much of the story is being detailed, and there's way too many plot twists.  But Martin did warn that winter was coming... xP  and if there's going to be a continuation of character slaughter, maybe that will make things a bit clearer.  Just so long as it doesn't involve Tyrion.  His POV has been superb.

Quote from: Naiah on February 06, 2013, 08:58:48 PM
A zombie mom, a potential zombie half brother and an ent, I think she would be thrilled :P

Don't forget a sister who's training to be a ruthless assassin.

JohnTheGreat

Dance on it's own has some problems but I really loved the look we got at how the North is coping after the red wedding. I think it suffers a lot though from being mostly setup, once Winds is out and we are able to look at Dance in the proper context (ie just a prelude to Winds) it should look much better.
As for Feast.. I hated it on the first read through. I didn't care about all the new characters, I just wanted to get back to Jon and Danny and all my favorites while the book seemed intent on dragging me around King's Landing and the like talking about people who I had forgotten existed. On the re read though I knew who the characters were, and where everything was leading, and I found it soooo much more enjoyable. Cersei's blundering really makes the book when you are able to watch her make a bad decision and pat herself on the back for it while you know *exactly* how it ends.

Stella

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on February 05, 2013, 07:35:53 AM
No clue...I'm patiently wait for A Dance of Dragons to hit paperback....At some point.

It's been out in paperback since March 2012 - I got my paperback copy then!

Sasquatch421

Quote from: Stella on February 08, 2013, 12:00:25 PM
It's been out in paperback since March 2012 - I got my paperback copy then!

Really....None of the places in town have them where I'm at... Looks like I have to annoy someone at Hastings until they order it for me! I should probably get the second volume of Romance of the Three Kingdoms ordered as well...

Iniquitous

Please note that at the end of ADWD it does not specifically say Jon is dead. You are left with the impression he is (aka a cliffhanger).
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

Naiah

Quote from: Iniquitous Opheliac on February 08, 2013, 08:44:09 PM
Please note that at the end of ADWD it does not specifically say Jon is dead. You are left with the impression he is (aka a cliffhanger).

Indeed, but it does take a lot to survive a mortal wound..

Mogwin

Quote from: Iniquitous Opheliac on February 08, 2013, 08:44:09 PM

And the way Martin's been mercilessly killing main characters at whim doesn't help Jon's situation.

ofDelusions

Quote from: Mogwin on February 08, 2013, 10:35:27 PM
And the way Martin's been mercilessly killing main characters at whim doesn't help Jon's situation.

And yet most of the time when it looks like they die in a clifhanger but Martin doesn't say they die, they get to life.

Besides, Jon shoul still get atleast his second life inside Ghost.