News:

Main Menu

Insomnia

Started by Suiko, October 17, 2010, 09:25:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suiko

Insomnia.

Everyone has nights when they can't sleep; when no matter what they do, their mind just cannot stop working away, or they can't get comfy, an so they won't rift off to sleep 'till the early hours the next day. That's all fine and normal, but what do you do when it happens regularly? To a more extreme effect?

Often, whenever I go to bed, I get extremely anxious; I'm a frantic worrier about every little thing. I worry that I left the door unlocked, the oven on, whatever... They're irrational and silly, I know, but they're almost always there and as such I often simply never sleep until exhaustion overpowers me and I just shut down for 12+ hours at a time. I have no idea what to do about this; I've tried taking calming pills (oddly enough called Calms) they're a herbal remedy that do nothing for me; you're supposed to take three and Ive in the past taken seven or eight, an nothing. I've taken sleeping pills (they're called Nightol, if you heard of them} you take one and they're supposed to make you sleep; I've taken three and nothing.

I thought about maybe mediation or breathing techniques, but I don't know any, and I don't really trust the internet about these things, so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or tips that have worked for them if they suffer from insomnia also? Anything would be helpful..

You might think that going for four days with no sleep is great, but sleep deprivation is a torture method for good reason; it plays absolute havoc with your mind and body and I hate it with a passion... Sp please if anyonehas any ideas, I'm all ears.
- Main M/M Requests -
- Other M/M Prompts -
- A/As -
- O/Os -

- Current Status: Did someone say Dragon's Dogma 2? -

Gensokian

I honestly see no problem with no sleep. Well, it helps that I haven't slept in a very long time, but I take a bit of caffeine to keep me from getting tired. You might want to do that if you find yourself tired, but just unable to go to sleep. It might be a bit unhealthy if you're not used to it, but it works for me.

Suiko

I agree; the not sleeping is in itself fine, but after four or five days of none, I get terrible headaches and I can't seem to do anything at all, which is where the problem lies... Caffeine is also fine for a little while, but too much is dreadfully unhealthy.
- Main M/M Requests -
- Other M/M Prompts -
- A/As -
- O/Os -

Gensokian

Well, like I said, if you're not used to it, it is. However, I've been taking a caffeine regimen for quite the number of years, and my body's become acclimated to it. However, I started at a young age, so that's probably the reason why it doesn't kill me. Still, since you need sleep, maybe you should invest in sleep-aids.

Suiko

Mmm, I probably will have to see my doctor maybe... I hate doctors though; difficult for me. I have also tried medical intervention before with tablets and they didn't work... Just try again, I suppose.
- Main M/M Requests -
- Other M/M Prompts -
- A/As -
- O/Os -

Gensokian

Yeah, I hate going to the doctor, as well, but it must be done sometimes. Who knows; he/she just might be able to fix your problem, though. You may need some anxiety pills to go along with the sleep-aid. I really have no idea; that's why I'll leave it to the doctor~.

Suiko

I'm already on anxiety medication... Hmm... I wonder if I can have both at the same time? I don't know... I suppose I'll have to have a look and see.
- Main M/M Requests -
- Other M/M Prompts -
- A/As -
- O/Os -

Gensokian

Well, you should go to the doctor, at least. I'm not too sure if being on a sleep-aid and anxiety meds are a good idea, either, but it seems logical to me. I wouldn't try it until you get a yea or nay from a doctor, though.

Suiko

Indeed. I shall have to make an appointment...

*Sighs*

Oh how I hate doctors...
- Main M/M Requests -
- Other M/M Prompts -
- A/As -
- O/Os -

Gensokian

C'mon, Angel, you're a big boy now~. =3

Suiko

<<; I'm really not. I'm little and meek and need help at every turn.
- Main M/M Requests -
- Other M/M Prompts -
- A/As -
- O/Os -

Gensokian

Would you go if I promised to give you lots of snuggles and huggles and cuddles if you do it?

Suiko

*Ponders for a moment*

Yes.
- Main M/M Requests -
- Other M/M Prompts -
- A/As -
- O/Os -

Gensokian

Then go make that appointment and go to it, then you get your fill of straight-guy lovin'~! ^o^

Suiko

Ha ha! I actually laughed out loud right then.

<3
- Main M/M Requests -
- Other M/M Prompts -
- A/As -
- O/Os -

Gensokian

*bows*

Thank you, thank you~. I aim to entertain the masses~.  ;D

Suiko

*Huggles and such*

And you do! He he. I'm totally cheered up now.
- Main M/M Requests -
- Other M/M Prompts -
- A/As -
- O/Os -

Gensokian

*huggles Angel back*

Only a taste until you actually get that appointment, m'kay~? =3

Suiko

You're a tease, you are!

*Huffs and goes to call*
- Main M/M Requests -
- Other M/M Prompts -
- A/As -
- O/Os -

Gensokian

Well, I'll admit, I had some teasing lessons from somebody...>.>

*unwraps a grape-flavored Tootsie Pop and sticks it in his mouth* ^o^

Suiko

...You're terrible...!
- Main M/M Requests -
- Other M/M Prompts -
- A/As -
- O/Os -

Gensokian

No...well, maybe a little...want one?

Oniya

A few things you can try without doctors or pharmaceuticals:  warm milk, or chamomile tea before bed.  Cut out all caffeine at least 3 hours before bed - the earlier, the better.  Take a warm bath or shower to relax yourself, but set your room temperature to be cool (but not uncomfortably cold).  If you aren't allergic, try a lavender-scented air freshener.

While in bed, try slow-breathing.  It's not exactly meditation, but it can help your body hit some of the same triggers.  Inhale slowly for a count of 3, hold for 3, then out for 3.  If you're a side-sleeper, put a pillow between your knees, or under them if you're a back-sleeper (helps with spine stress).

Important thing to remember, once you are asleep:  Do not turn on an overhead light until it's actually time to wake up.  Invest in a night-light (15w bulb) for the bathroom if you worry about running into things.  If you turn on a 'daytime' level light, it shocks your system into 'wake up' mode.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Suiko

Hmm, I knew about the warm milk business and not drinking caffeine, but the pillow between the knees or beneath is new to me, so I will certainly try that...

It's a good idea to by a night light as well, I think it would be a good thing to buy...

Thank you very much for your ideas Oniya; I appreciate them :-)
- Main M/M Requests -
- Other M/M Prompts -
- A/As -
- O/Os -

Gensokian

Quote from: Oniya on October 17, 2010, 07:14:41 PM
A few things you can try without doctors or pharmaceuticals:  warm milk, or chamomile tea before bed.  Cut out all caffeine at least 3 hours before bed - the earlier, the better.  Take a warm bath or shower to relax yourself, but set your room temperature to be cool (but not uncomfortably cold).  If you aren't allergic, try a lavender-scented air freshener.

While in bed, try slow-breathing.  It's not exactly meditation, but it can help your body hit some of the same triggers.  Inhale slowly for a count of 3, hold for 3, then out for 3.  If you're a side-sleeper, put a pillow between your knees, or under them if you're a back-sleeper (helps with spine stress).

Important thing to remember, once you are asleep:  Do not turn on an overhead light until it's actually time to wake up.  Invest in a night-light (15w bulb) for the bathroom if you worry about running into things.  If you turn on a 'daytime' level light, it shocks your system into 'wake up' mode.

....Why do you have to sound so much smarter than me~? =w=