What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Oniya

Yup, flew over our county!  The Amish have been quoted as saying 'Stupid Englishers!'
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Ironwolf85

Fox is apparently calling captain america unamerican for taking on the serpent, a racist cult leader who, in one comic attacks immigrants (legal and illegal alike).

wait whut?

Isn't serpent and his cult sort of a stand in for the KKK so cap could punch them without having to depict the group. I remember that story from when I was a kid. Basicly one of skull's henchmen has his hand up their asses teaching them racisim is good and protects america.

do yo research fox before you make an entire special defending the supervillian icon of racisim >.>
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Ironwolf85 on October 28, 2015, 10:23:19 PM
Fox is apparently calling captain america unamerican for taking on the serpent, a racist cult leader who, in one comic attacks immigrants (legal and illegal alike).

wait whut?

Isn't serpent and his cult sort of a stand in for the KKK so cap could punch them without having to depict the group. I remember that story from when I was a kid. Basicly one of skull's henchmen has his hand up their asses teaching them racisim is good and protects america.

do yo research fox before you make an entire special defending the supervillian icon of racisim >.>
Link please?

Also:
Calling captain America unamerican?..... that's heresy!

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

That's almost as bad as that one idiot in the civil war comic who told cap he wasn't relevant because he didn't youtube, my space, or watch NASCAR.... ugh I feel unclean...

Oniya

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Oniya on October 28, 2015, 10:52:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v46yDz70X8

That was painful to listen to.

Do these people realize how much of a joke they are? These people are so ass backwards its incredible.

Oniya

Quote from: Lustful Bride on October 28, 2015, 11:06:58 PM
Do these people realize how much of a joke they are? These people are so ass backwards its incredible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvVPdyYeaQU

Cassandra LeMay

ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Ironwolf85

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v46yDz70X8

thank you oniya. I sorta watched that clip as it happened, and saw it again on the daily show. Had no idea where it was on youtube.

Seriously Fox do your homework, the supreme serpent is a long standing captain american villain. Basically he's the Grand Wizard of the KKK with a serpent motif symbolically representing the same forces in america, those of hatred and bigotry, that took over Germany.

why do I try, they don't care, and I bet some shitheaded 80 year old is now trying to take comics away from his grandson lest they corrupt him with anti-american values like tolerance and liberty.
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Cycle

I actually enjoyed it.  It was hilarious.  Like an episode of the Colbert Report!  XD

Oniya

Okay - it's funny if you assume that (like the Colbert Report) it's supposed to be funny/satirical.  I mean, it reads like something Onion-worthy.

But nowadays, we look to FOX News for something to laugh at, and comedians for political commentary.  O_o

Sadly, there's at least one guy in the comments section who thinks that Sanders is a Nazi, fascism is left-wing, and Hitler was a liberal.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Oniya on October 29, 2015, 10:37:55 AM
Sadly, there's at least one guy in the comments section who thinks that Sanders is a Nazi, fascism is left-wing, and Hitler was a liberal.
Sadly people like that are found in far too many comments sections. Pretty much the reason I stopped reading comments sections. It's bad for my blood pressure.

But, while I am tempted to assume that person is woefully ill-informed, in all fairness I would say that fascism does have elements that certainly look left-wing. A dominating single-party government and interference in free-market economies through protectionist and interventionist meassures are often cited as core elements of fascism. That could just as well describe some form of communism.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Cycle

Quote from: Oniya on October 29, 2015, 10:37:55 AM
Okay - it's funny if you assume that (like the Colbert Report) it's supposed to be funny/satirical. 

I think it is funny in the same way George Costanza is funny.  Sometimes watching someone make a fool of themselves on television makes me laugh.

Granted, I don't think those three wanted to induce laughter.  But laughter followed nonetheless.

Cycle

Apologies for the double post.  But this is good stuff.

Go Salt Lake City!

TaintedAndDelish

According to The Guardian, Ben Carson believes that the archaeologists have it all wrong. He says the [Egyptian] pyramids were built by "Joseph" to store grain. It seems that his personal bible backed opinion trumps all the work that archaeologists have invested over the years.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/nov/05/ben-carson-egyptian-pyramids-were-grain-stores-not-pharoahs-tombs

“But I do believe God created us, and I did just fine … And in fact, the more you know about God, and the deeper your relationship with God, I think the more intricate becomes your knowledge of the way things work, including the human body.” - Ben Carson

This last statement makes he wonder if he believes he has some kind of "Jesus super powers" that let him just "know" things.

Oniya

Let's see here - very high 'material to volume' ratio, presence of dead bodies...

Yep, just what I look for in my grain storage structures.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Oniya on November 05, 2015, 06:20:05 PM
Let's see here - very high 'material to volume' ratio, presence of dead bodies...

Yep, just what I look for in my grain storage structures.

Shouldn't there have been a hatched door somewhere high up so they could get the grain sacks in and out?  ;)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Lustful Bride

*sigh* I can't wait to get to heaven and see god bitch slap all these idiots. Now if you excuse me, I'm gonna drink the pain and shame away.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Cycle

Quote from: TaintedAndDelish on November 05, 2015, 06:09:58 PM
According to The Guardian, Ben Carson believes that the archaeologists have it all wrong. He says the [Egyptian] pyramids were built by "Joseph" to store grain.

Huh.  I guess Joseph was an idiot.  I mean, if you're going to build something to store grain, wouldn't it be better if you built something wasn't almost entirely solid?  The relative holding capacity of this construction flat out sucks.

Well, maybe Carson's confusing the Great Pyramid with this one...

Cassandra LeMay

Carson has more funny ideas about science. Apparently he believes that either the second law of thermodynamics doesn't really exist, or that God waved it when he created the solar system. Source

(Sonia Sotomayor)

TaintedAndDelish

Some quote straight from the horse's mouth:

On Satan and Evolution:
https://youtu.be/_0pCMuki-kM

TheGlyphstone

Looks to me like Carson is trying to get an early lock on the religious-right fringe of the party base.

Blythe

Quote from: Beorning on November 06, 2015, 03:38:58 PM
So, who's Carson? Some potential presidential candidate?

He's currently one of the Republican party 2016 presidential candidates here in the USA. A lot of his appeal for many voters has been that he's not a career politician and had a career as a surgeon who also had a specialty in pediatrics, which is why some of what he says is sometimes so weird/shocking.