Seeking Legendary Monsters (3.5 DnD, lots custom rules)

Started by Zaer Darkwail, April 08, 2015, 05:54:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdwardShane

Yeah, the belt itself isn't the source of power.  It was the forces behind the belt resonating with her inner self that triggered the ascension.  Putting it on awoke her natural self-potential, I guess you could say.

Awesome!  I'll edit these things in (and perhaps see if I can add something else to the sash) before moving her over to the accepted character list. 

CeruleanSerenity

I'm currently debating between Heartfire Fanner and Sublime Chord for my character's prestige class... Heartfire Fanner is from Dragon Magazine 314. It's a support prestige class that specializes in inspiring passionate emotions and encouraging allies, which seems fitting for my character, and I don't think the group has anyone focused on playing a supporting role. On the other hand, I think I'm leaning a bit more towards Sublime Chord right now... it's from a more common source, so I wouldn't have to bother the GM with getting it approved, and the big boost to spellcasting power would be very nice (and being a Bard already lets my character do some support).

So I thought I would ask here... does anyone have any thoughts on which I should pick?

TheGlyphstone

Unless you're also going the Leadership role with a big tough battle cohort, I'd suggest Sublime Chord. I don't know how often our characters will be 'working together' rather than chasing our own solo plot threads, so a dedicated team buffer might be wasted a lot of the time. And high-level arcane magic is total hax anyways, so you'll get far more buff utility out of 6+ level spell slots than Heartfire class buffs.

Sain

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 12, 2015, 04:27:12 PM
Instead of the Amulet of Mighty Fists, I'd suggest getting a Necklace of Natural Attacks, from Savage Species. It costs the same as a weapon (2000xbonus squared), but instead applies to one natural attack (or in your case, unarmed strike), and you can enchant it like a weapon with special properties. In particular, a +1 Returning Necklace of Natural Attacks x1 (8,600 GP) would give you a ranged attack by letting you treat your unarmed strike as a thrown weapon. This could be punching the air and hitting people up to 100ft. away, because the alternative is having detachable fists like Rayman which is just silly.

Thanks for dirtying my keyboard with tea and reminding me how silly stuff you can actually do in 3.5  ;D
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Sain on April 12, 2015, 04:43:10 PM
Thanks for dirtying my keyboard with tea and reminding me how silly stuff you can actually do in 3.5  ;D

Hey - if you play a Warforged Monk, this lets you have actual Rocket Punches. ;D

Besides, it's actually easier in PF, since the 'weapon properties' ability was rolled into the main Amulet of Mighty Fists.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: CeruleanSerenity on April 12, 2015, 04:32:41 PM
I'm currently debating between Heartfire Fanner and Sublime Chord for my character's prestige class... Heartfire Fanner is from Dragon Magazine 314. It's a support prestige class that specializes in inspiring passionate emotions and encouraging allies, which seems fitting for my character, and I don't think the group has anyone focused on playing a supporting role. On the other hand, I think I'm leaning a bit more towards Sublime Chord right now... it's from a more common source, so I wouldn't have to bother the GM with getting it approved, and the big boost to spellcasting power would be very nice (and being a Bard already lets my character do some support).

So I thought I would ask here... does anyone have any thoughts on which I should pick?

I am okay with the Heartfire Fanner, you decide which PrC you pick. TheGlyphstone has good points; at start your mostly soloing but teaming up is not forbidden, you can team up any number ways with other legendary monsters (cooperate and do stuff together like Witch and Dynja just did; Dynja would not had been able to loot a tomb without Kunoichi's Witch char helping her but nor witch been able loot tomb without aid of psionic powers Dynja has).

Anycase I tailor encounters so that you can beat them more ways than one; if you make buff/support and heavy follower using char then I make encounters based on that factor. Sublime Chord indeed gives access to higher spells than as bard and higher tier spells are good (and Sublime Chord has some awesome songs; arcane boosting, arcane fire blast and time stopping songs). It's more your own preference do you want exclusively be support/buffer or want have bit own power which you can flex when going alone without any followers. Either case and concept can work though in the game and if you focus on support; then you can make legendary monsters even more awesome with your buffs.

EdwardShane

All right, I fixed her inventory up.  Lemme know if that works, especially on the new sash ability I just thought to add.  (I think it's cool, but if it's not by the GM I'll change it)

Unless there's any other suggestions or things I should change, I'll change her over to the accepted thread!

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on April 12, 2015, 03:51:32 PM
As mentioned cohort is 12th level and get decide is he/she a single classed person who is paragon creature or a normal gestalt, they get NPC gold equal to their level to use for themselves or even get discount if they can craft stuff. In regards to spawns; with my death knight I used +13 insight bonus to 'add CR' to creatures which I could attract (basically change the list little to more powerful undead). But you can add +13 insight bonus to your level to count how many spawn you can take, so total HD count is your level + 13 x 2 (so 50 HD worth of spawn instead just 24).

Ah that makes sense, thank you. With that +13 I have 90 hit dice of spawn possible I can control.

As far as our characters working together. Snookums seems to be making his character with the potential to be the underdog in mind. I was actually thinking my familiar knows him and acts condescending towards him. Makes more sense when you realize my familiar is a Gold Dragon. "I see through your charade. You're not even a *real* Dragon.  In the centuries to come I will become even greater than your Master ever was. When I reach the Apex of draconic power my Master will make me IMMORTAL! Even the platinum dragon himself will fear me. What Legacy do you have to look forward to?"

^ Even baby gold Dragons have an ego that could house a small island population.
" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img

Zaer Darkwail

After bit talking others it's decided the +13 insight bonus does not apply to followers/spawns or anything. As it's slippery slope. So no +13 insight bonus to HD cap for spawns example.

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on April 12, 2015, 06:22:35 PM
After bit talking others it's decided the +13 insight bonus does not apply to followers/spawns or anything. As it's slippery slope. So no +13 insight bonus to HD cap for spawns example.

Aww. Okay, puts me down to 64 HD total.

PaleEnchantress

Hey everyone, especially Kunoichi since she's good at these things. I wish to persist (or make constant) a level 4 spell and im not sure what an effecient way to do that is. Now I thought of dropping that monk level for 4 levels of Paladin of Tyranny giving me turning and therefore allowing divine metamagic. But then I realized while I could then use DMM my spells are *arcane* and I dont think divine metamagic will work on them.

A continuous magic item would be best since it wouldn't reset every day but that would cost 224,000 gold. Well above what I could possibly make.

So just asking if there is any way I can get a continuous consumptive field without altering my build too much.

Edit: If not I have a few feat slots open and wouldnt mind some assistance brainstorming those.

CeruleanSerenity

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 12, 2015, 04:42:00 PM
Unless you're also going the Leadership role with a big tough battle cohort, I'd suggest Sublime Chord. I don't know how often our characters will be 'working together' rather than chasing our own solo plot threads, so a dedicated team buffer might be wasted a lot of the time. And high-level arcane magic is total hax anyways, so you'll get far more buff utility out of 6+ level spell slots than Heartfire class buffs.
I am planning to take Leadership... she wouldn't be much of a goddess without a small army of loyal followers, after all. She'll be converting more whenever she can, but a head start is always nice. But Kunoichi suggested that her cohort be her high priestess, so I think I'll be going with that... probably a paragon human Cleric or Favored Soul.

And you have a point about the spells... I think I'll go with Sublime Chord, especially if we'll be spending a lot of time working on our own. Heartfire Fanner is interesting, but it makes me think more of battle rage than the... other kind of passion, and the Sublime Chord's spells will open up so many more options.

On that note... how would one go about becoming a deity in this setting? Will it just be a matter of getting enough people to worship her as one, or is there something more to it?

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: PaleEnchantress on April 12, 2015, 07:13:07 PM
Hey everyone, especially Kunoichi since she's good at these things. I wish to persist (or make constant) a level 4 spell and im not sure what an effecient way to do that is. Now I thought of dropping that monk level for 4 levels of Paladin of Tyranny giving me turning and therefore allowing divine metamagic. But then I realized while I could then use DMM my spells are *arcane* and I dont think divine metamagic will work on them.

A continuous magic item would be best since it wouldn't reset every day but that would cost 224,000 gold. Well above what I could possibly make.

So just asking if there is any way I can get a continuous consumptive field without altering my build too much.

Edit: If not I have a few feat slots open and wouldnt mind some assistance brainstorming those.

The Southern Magician feat, from Races of Faerun, would let you cast an arcane spell as a divine spell or vice versa 1/2 your spellcaster level times per day. It requires being human and the ability to cast 2nd level spells, though. So if you used Human as your base race before applying your templates, you could do that swap for more Paladin levels, get Turning/Divine Metamagic, and go to town with Nightsticks.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: CeruleanSerenity on April 12, 2015, 07:18:01 PM
On that note... how would one go about becoming a deity in this setting? Will it just be a matter of getting enough people to worship her as one, or is there something more to it?

Well, no one starts as demigod (which is divine rank 0). But following guideline there are three ways;

1) Get enough followers to pray and recognize you as deity (potent spellcasters more easily garner favor so sublime chord is good way to do so). Numbers were insane though but followers can help spread word and thus expand your flock (epic leadership and legendary commander approach close to numbers you need).

2) Steal divine energies and imbue them on yourself (Cyric did this on Time of Troubles in Forgotten Realms by siphoning energies of God of Murder; Bhaal, albeit aided by Mask who was short sword at the time).

3) A divine entity empowers you directly and sponsors you to divinity.

Anycase paragon favored soul would work very well (cleric needs power directly from a god or believe in philosophy where as favored soul has innate divine battery, but cleric as class got more PrC options and domains give nice options also), I did some homebrew changes for favored soul so it's more interesting.

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 12, 2015, 07:22:08 PM
The Southern Magician feat, from Races of Faerun, would let you cast an arcane spell as a divine spell or vice versa 1/2 your spellcaster level times per day. It requires being human and the ability to cast 2nd level spells, though. So if you used Human as your base race before applying your templates, you could do that swap for more Paladin levels, get Turning/Divine Metamagic, and go to town with Nightsticks.

I always felt more then one Nightstick was too much. With my cha mod though it hardly matters. But yes that would work though id have to sacrifice my small size to change my base race.

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on April 12, 2015, 07:30:41 PM

1) Get enough followers to pray and recognize you as deity (potent spellcasters more easily garner favor so sublime chord is good way to do so). Numbers were insane though but followers can help spread word and thus expand your flock (epic leadership and legendary commander approach close to numbers you need).

Unfortunately we wont qualify for legendary commander for nearly 15 levels but it is a great idea.

Zaer Darkwail

Yeah, expect that levels and progression is steady and I have end game boss which CR is 100 and surpass even Asmodeus and other 'epic' icons of DnD. Some elder evils may fall short of the guy I have in mind.

TheGlyphstone

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on April 12, 2015, 07:43:35 PM
Yeah, expect that levels and progression is steady and I have end game boss which CR is 100 and surpass even Asmodeus and other 'epic' icons of DnD. Some elder evils may fall short of the guy I have in mind.

I think i've been in one game of yours that lasted long enough for us to actually level up. No reflection on you as a DM you are, by far, one of the most consistent and reliable play by post DM's ive worked with. But you do know how these games can go =P

Zaer have you checked out the dicefreaks conversions that make things like asmodeus cr 70+

Zaer Darkwail

I have seen original CR +40 stats in book of vile darkness and then the 'avatar' stats in fiendish codex but not dicefreaks....perhaps glanced but not looked close. But I agree CR +60 is range where demon princes and archdevils 'true' powers lay in. So even if your unique and legendary as CR 30 'monsters' your still small fries in the grand cosmic scale. Anycase there has already been level up but in my game you get three choice of rewards with each 'story arch' which is sort of chapter in a book or doing specific goals.

1) You get level up (and monster side you can purchase more templates or imbue entirely single monster special attacks, special qualities, spell-alike abilities and subtypes onto yourself)

2) Get artifact (real artifact, not something bought off in DMG, the real artifacts)

3) Associate (which is someone close as cohort but not quite but can be stronger than cohort or even stronger than you in levels/CR wise, or even weaker than cohort but overall a powerful ally)

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 12, 2015, 07:22:08 PM

I see Illumian works too using a sigil combination rather than Southern Magician. Illumian being such an odd race might fit the Galataea origins of my character better then human and southern magic. It's still not small sized, and I so wanted to me petite for a change to better create a size difference between the tiny sadist and his larger slaves.

Sooooo Zaer, would you allow me to either make a small sized illumian, or take Southern Magician without being human?  If not I think I can be normal medium size illumian or human and simply use a few charges from The Velvet Darkness They Fear to become small permanently. Though that is a clumsy way to do it as it creates a permanent (dispellable) magic affect keeping me small.

Zaer Darkwail

I allow your human or illumian be small. It's really not big deal if somereason you have sort genetic flaw (or part of design or origin as your case as it is), that your small in size (I think there is custom flaw for that). As mentioned you cannot get feats with flaws but you can assign two flaws for your chars for flavor (Kunoichi took flaw which makes her never be able be immune to fear effects and takes penalties to fear spells).

Zaer Darkwail

I thought link this, as folks wonder inspirations for legendary monsters and came across it (note; Monster Girl Quest gives lots kinky ideas for monster related sex even with alien anatomy);

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nyHPIcbn88

EdwardShane

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on April 12, 2015, 09:04:36 PM
I thought link this, as folks wonder inspirations for legendary monsters and came across it (note; Monster Girl Quest gives lots kinky ideas for monster related sex even with alien anatomy);

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nyHPIcbn88

Alma Elma is actually kinda sorta maybe where I got the inspiration and desire to do a martial artist succubus from....as well as the other heavenly knights inspiring my other initial ideas that I had been toying with.....^^;

Seriously, that game has been driving me nuts with the desire to play either the characters from it or characters similar....I'm kind of really, really, really craving the ability to play monster girls right now, and am happy that I have something along those lines in this game

TheGlyphstone

I played a Hydra once before, in another monsters-as-PCs game. Though that game it was just an ordinary Hydra with a Headband of Intelligence +6 making it sapient; each head had a different personality (and alignment), and they took turns wearing the headband each day. It was a very trippy character to play.