Monster Hunter (Pathfinder with some 3.5)

Started by ulthakptah, November 01, 2013, 01:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulthakptah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nsDJChL8WA
What do I mean by Monster Hunter? I mean like the series Monster Hunter by Capcon. In which a group of hunters get together and take down some big bad beasts. This is a low magic game; it is more about waging your steel against tooth and nail, then using said teeth and nails to make better steel. Magic is still around, but I would like for players to stick with the theme and focus mainly on weapons. Magic weapons and armor don't exist in a sense. They can't just be bought, but have to be upgraded or made from the monsters you hunt. I realize this will be a lot of work for me and for the most part just be making stuff up on the fly when you look into seeing what you can make from those Tarrasque claws you managed to walk away with, but that could be fun. Naturally any Monster Hunter special weapons (like my personal favorite, the gunlance) will need some sort of base weapon stats to be upgraded with.

Since this is mainly an idea at the moment, I would love some feed back as well as suggestions for starting level and system. I know Pathfinder and 3.5 so those would be preferred, maybe even a little of both if that's what people want. In Monster Hunter the magic number seems to be about four, but if more people than that want to play there can always be two hunting parties.

Edit: Starting level 8, full hit points for each level, two traits, 33,000 starting gold, generating stats you have a choice of 1d12+8 for each ability, or take 18, 16, 15, 15, 14, 12.

Submitted characters:

PhantomPistoleer: Kalem Lockhart, Human Factotum. Longbows/Longswords
Wheresmycow: Leo, Human Fighter, Longbows
Ghostwheel: Saren, Half-Elf Factotum/Warblade/Fighter, Longbows/Falchions
Ershin: Svala, Human Barbarian, Greatswords
Blackflow: Solomur, Dwarf Monk, Longbows
Phaia: Arainna, Elf Bard, Elven Curved Blades/Longbows/Voice.

PhantomPistoleer

If this is Pathfinder, not interested!

If this is 3.5, definitely interested.

If this is 3.5 gestalt, I WILL SLAY ALL MONSTERS.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Ghostwheel

This got my interest as well--though I think I'm the opposite (interested in 3.5, VERY interested in Pathfinder, no interest whatsoever in gestalt as you often get people who step on each others' toes as far as what they can do goes...)

Shjade

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on November 01, 2013, 02:49:40 PM
If this is 3.5 gestalt, I WILL SLAY ALL MONSTERS.

Which leaves the rest of your group doing...what, exactly?
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Ghostwheel

As far as levels are concerned (since you asked), I think it would be cool if we started at mid/higher levels (8-14 or so?) since it seems most games start at first level (or fifth at most) and there's rarely a chance to experience that higher-level gameplay that constitutes much of the system.

Ixy

I could do any.  I think I prefer PF but not the heavy pre-written settings.  What I would like to see is some idea of setting, tone, thematic elements and the like.  I'm in one 3.5 game that is suffering from 'too many players, too little interaction', another 3.5 that just stopped with no posting from the GM (not even a 'hi! still alive!') for 2 months. Do you have anything in mind besides that we'll be looking at a melee-focused party and taking on higher-hit-die creatures with lower numbers?

I gotta say, I'd love to see a game that simply lasts long enough/keeps moving enough to actually face a monster.

ulthakptah

Setting wise should be pretty straight forward. There is a new settlement near some valuable natural resources. Rich people want the resources, but they can't because of all the near by beasts and monsters. The solution is to hire the monster hunter guild to supply monster hunters. You monster hunters are called in. The guild sets you up with a nice shack to all share. Whenever there is a big nasty nearby you have to set out on a hunt to kill it, and get rewarded.

Something to keep in mind is that you are hunting, so things like tracking and being able to survive in the wild might come in handy.

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: Ixy on November 02, 2013, 02:10:24 PM
I could do any.  I think I prefer PF but not the heavy pre-written settings.  What I would like to see is some idea of setting, tone, thematic elements and the like.  I'm in one 3.5 game that is suffering from 'too many players, too little interaction', another 3.5 that just stopped with no posting from the GM (not even a 'hi! still alive!') for 2 months. Do you have anything in mind besides that we'll be looking at a melee-focused party and taking on higher-hit-die creatures with lower numbers?

I gotta say, I'd love to see a game that simply lasts long enough/keeps moving enough to actually face a monster.

I think she's alluding to a game I was running.  :/

Sorry, Ixy, I'm a jerk.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Ixy

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on November 02, 2013, 09:13:47 PM
I think she's alluding to a game I was running.  :/

Sorry, Ixy, I'm a jerk.

Sorry, not trying to be bitchy.

ulthakptah

Well it seems that more people are leaning towards pathfinder, which is fine. I still have deep love for 3.5 so some monsters/items/classes can be transferred over and remade for pathfinder. Only one person seems interested in gestalt, which I have had trouble with in the past. Seems for starting level the only suggestion is upper middle, so expect big scary things like dragons and aboleths.

I'm not sure if anyone was interested in knowing the geographical setting, but the untamed wilds you will be hunting in is an archipelago of islands formed over a volcanic hot spot. The largest of the islands is still very much volcanically active. The town you will be staying at is on the smallest island on the other side of the chain, and has mostly been deforested to build the town. Transportation via ship will be provided so no need to worry about how you will get to and from the hunting grounds.

Oh another helpful hint. With all this raw untamed jungle, Alchemy items are basically free to craft, provided you have the know how to find ingredients and make concoctions.

Ghostwheel

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: ulthakptah on November 04, 2013, 02:13:31 PM
Well it seems that more people are leaning towards pathfinder, which is fine. I still have deep love for 3.5 so some monsters/items/classes can be transferred over and remade for pathfinder. Only one person seems interested in gestalt, which I have had trouble with in the past. Seems for starting level the only suggestion is upper middle, so expect big scary things like dragons and aboleths.

I'm not sure if anyone was interested in knowing the geographical setting, but the untamed wilds you will be hunting in is an archipelago of islands formed over a volcanic hot spot. The largest of the islands is still very much volcanically active. The town you will be staying at is on the smallest island on the other side of the chain, and has mostly been deforested to build the town. Transportation via ship will be provided so no need to worry about how you will get to and from the hunting grounds.

Oh another helpful hint. With all this raw untamed jungle, Alchemy items are basically free to craft, provided you have the know how to find ingredients and make concoctions.

Can I submit a Pathfinder Factotum, then? o_o
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

ulthakptah

PhantomPistoleer

Neato!

Will make character for submission once character creation rules are established.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

ulthakptah

Well I want it to start off challenging, but eventually for everyone to be bad ass slayers of beasts, so level 8 with high abilities. For generating stats you have a choice of 1d12+8 for each ability, or take 18, 16, 15, 15, 14, 12. Hit dice will be max for all levels. That should make everyone plenty hardy for the monsters to chew on. Also since pathfinder start with two traits.

PhantomPistoleer

Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Ghostwheel

I assume we'd take the standard character wealth for that level... though there are always variant rules some people like to use ;D

ulthakptah

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on November 04, 2013, 04:32:11 PM
What about GP?
Standard for 8th level which in pathfinder is 33,000. No magic weapons or armor can be bought.

Ghostwheel

Decided to make an Inquisitor.

I'll have some Teamwork feats if anyone wants to gain the benefit of those by picking them up as well :-)

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: ulthakptah on November 04, 2013, 05:10:30 PM
Standard for 8th level which in pathfinder is 33,000. No magic weapons or armor can be bought.

When you say that, I assume that we can purchase other magical items.  Right?
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

ulthakptah

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: Ghostwheel on November 04, 2013, 06:27:42 PM
Decided to make an Inquisitor.

I'll have some Teamwork feats if anyone wants to gain the benefit of those by picking them up as well :-)

I think that I will be an archer type of factotum.  What teamwork feats did you have in mind?  I may take out "manyshot."
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

PhantomPistoleer

Kalem Lockhart, Human Factotum

HP:  68;  AC:  19;  Mood:  Jovial
Character Sheet

Background: 

Personality:

History:

OOC:

WIP
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Ghostwheel

Looking over my charsheet, currently I have Coordinated Charge and Lookout. Lookout might be a good one if you're ranged...

Wheresmycow

I'm interested and thinking of making an archer fighter, to give that long range support.

One quick question though: what about special materials for weapons and armor?
Want to know more about me?
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

ulthakptah

Quote from: Wheresmycow on November 05, 2013, 12:50:56 PM
I'm interested and thinking of making an archer fighter, to give that long range support.

One quick question though: what about special materials for weapons and armor?
those are fine

ShadowFox89

Is this still recruiting?

And can I make a warblade or dragon-fire adept?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

ulthakptah

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on November 05, 2013, 02:22:39 PM
Is this still recruiting?

And can I make a warblade or dragon-fire adept?
Yes, this is not a first come first serve game, even then we aren't at capacity yet. Warblade is fine, but no to Dragon-fire adept.

ShadowFox89

Fair enough. Pathfinder though, yes?

I'm thinking... possibly a tengu-girl?

stats (1d12+8=18, 1d12+8=16, 1d12+8=20, 1d12+8=14, 1d12+8=19, 1d12+8=20)
Call me Shadow
My A/A

ulthakptah

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on November 05, 2013, 02:45:55 PM
Fair enough. Pathfinder though, yes?

I'm thinking... possibly a tengu-girl?

stats (1d12+8=18, 1d12+8=16, 1d12+8=20, 1d12+8=14, 1d12+8=19, 1d12+8=20)
Well I meant monster hunter as a hunter of monsters not a hunter who is a monster, but a tengu is fine. Also damn, you have some luck there, or you know... maybe you cheated. http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4292081/ next time use the on site dice roller.

Wheresmycow

Quote from: ulthakptah on November 05, 2013, 01:17:56 PM
those are fine
Awesome.  I'm going to be an archer running around in mithral plate then.  Using the loadout you handed out.
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

Ghostwheel

Are you allowing 3.5 feats found in Tome of Battle?

yesiroleplay

1d8a12 Result: 19 | 1d8a12 Result: 18 | 1d8a12 Result: 19
1d8a12 Result: 17 | 1d8a12 Result: 13 | 1d8a12 Result: 19
...I

I wasn't actually going to apply, but I'd be foolish to waste those rolls....  Damn.

Edit - this game seems made for Tome of Battle.  A Crusader might be mechanically easier to convert to PF-RPG, but I see all kinds of thematic goodness in a Warblade Monster Hunter

Wheresmycow

And I'm thankful I didn't roll.  Seriously: 10, 9, 10, 18, 13, 16.  Thank god I didn't roll.
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

ulthakptah

Quote from: Ghostwheel on November 05, 2013, 05:53:28 PM
Are you allowing 3.5 feats found in Tome of Battle?
I guess it depends on the feat. I don't really know Tome of Battle inside and out, so there may be some feats that are too powerful with pathfinder rules, but go ahead and I'll check to see if it's okay before approving anything.

Ghostwheel

With all the 3.5 material we're using, how do you feel about just playing straight 3.5, ulthakptah? Might be a better fit at this rate :-3

ShadowFox89

Quote from: ulthakptah on November 05, 2013, 03:16:36 PM
Well I meant monster hunter as a hunter of monsters not a hunter who is a monster, but a tengu is fine. Also damn, you have some luck there, or you know... maybe you cheated. http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4292081/ next time use the on site dice roller.

The stats rolled the first time were well below the given array... But I am sorry that I tried to deceive you.  :-[

Stats rolled on the site roller were completely abysmal. 19, 13, 13, 11, 11, 11.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

ulthakptah

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on November 06, 2013, 04:14:14 AM
The stats rolled the first time were well below the given array... But I am sorry that I tried to deceive you.  :-[

Stats rolled on the site roller were completely abysmal. 19, 13, 13, 11, 11, 11.
That is how rolling works. In a sense you are gambling. the given array is a good fit, but as you can see with yessiriroleplay there is a chance for greatness. If you are unsatisfied with you rolls you should just take the array.

Wheresmycow

Leo is mostly done.  Only have 1k gp left to play around with.  Lacking magic weapons and armour, he is still pretty badass.
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

ulthakptah

Quote from: Wheresmycow on November 06, 2013, 05:56:35 PM
Leo is mostly done.  Only have 1k gp left to play around with.  Lacking magic weapons and armour, he is still pretty badass.
Just a heads up the default setting for plothooks is hidden, you need to make it public so I can see it.

Wheresmycow

My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

ulthakptah

Okay I have seen three character sheets so far. Give me a nice shout out if you are still working on yours.

Ershin

Mind if I declare interest in playing a Barbarian? If I can still apply to join, I was wondering if I could purchase a flawed scarlet and green cabochon? The main reason I ask is because it's not in any of the main books, but is technically still a thing that's official in Pathfinder since it's from Pathfinder Society. I'd just prefer DM consent before nabbing one.

Rolls weren't the best, but managable.

ulthakptah

Yep, I am all for Ioun stones of all shapes and sizes.

Ershin

Thanks Ulth!

Well, here's what I've got so far for the character, just need to get some mundane items (a backpack, some soap, change of clothes, bachelor snuff) and she's done mechanically. Maybe I should exchange her adamantine greatsword for an average one to give me a couple thousand more gold to work with on wondrous items... or exchange it for a glaive?

Appearance

avorae

This games looks like it would be interesting so i think I'll join too assuming there is still room that is.

If so here are my stat rolls: At 2013-11-09 18:13:58, avorae (uid: 14676) rolls: 6d12m8 Result: 102
Life is a hard game but the rewards are sweet if you know where to look.

Wheresmycow

Quote from: Ershin on November 09, 2013, 06:32:51 PM
Thanks Ulth!

Well, here's what I've got so far for the character, just need to get some mundane items (a backpack, some soap, change of clothes, bachelor snuff) and she's done mechanically. Maybe I should exchange her adamantine greatsword for an average one to give me a couple thousand more gold to work with on wondrous items... or exchange it for a glaive?

Appearance
Shouldn't you be doing more damage with the greatsword?  Two-handed weapons use one and half times your strength bonus, so you should be doing +12 instead of +8 with the belt of giant strength.
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

Muse

Okay, I'm curious.  Is there still room here? 

If so, do you have a cleric type yet? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

ulthakptah

Quote from: Muse on November 10, 2013, 10:31:18 AM
  Okay, I'm curious.  Is there still room here? 

If so, do you have a cleric type yet?
It's not first come first served, I find that is a poor way to run things. Also no full castors, so no, there is no cleric. Bard are still okay though, because they aren't very caster like in my opinion.

Phaia

hey there I have been following this and thinking a bit on it I made rolls  few days ago

Kinda want to use them so are ya still open

Phaia

Roll ID: 51403
Owner: Phaia
Viewer: Noone or Anyone
Time Rolled: 2013-11-09 16:05:15

Summary: At 2013-11-09 16:05:15, Phaia (uid: 3337) rolls: 6d12k6m8 Result: 110

Full Result: Phaia rolled: 6d12, keeping 6 dice, modifying each die by 8
Comment:
Result: 18, 16, 18, 20, 18, 20,
Total: 110

Ershin

Quote from: Phaia on November 12, 2013, 06:22:19 PM
hey there I have been following this and thinking a bit on it I made rolls  few days ago

Summary: At 2013-11-09 16:05:15, Phaia (uid: 3337) rolls: 6d12k6m8 Result: 110

Just a bit of advice, Ulth scolded someone earlier for rolling multiple times for a better result. Plus it's kind of unfair to people who used their first result, don't you think? :)

ulthakptah

Yeah really? Why would you even try and cheat after a roll like that? 20 18 16? that is some good scores well above the given array.

Phaia

I am sure why you would think I am cheating...i rolled several test rolls before trying it for real
I have made mistakes before

I was told in another group to get 5d6 reroll 1s and keep 3, that i could use 5d5 keep 3 and add 3 to total but then was told no that wouldnt work either
I do not use that die roller alot for multiple dice so please let me know what I did wrong....

When I made that roll i had copied and pasted it to a pm to myself? Seeing the pm in my messages is what got me to ask if you akk were still open

Phaia

edit: okay I see what the problem is...I did not realize that group got saved and didnt even know I could back check like ershin did...normally we use point builds...

**looks very embrassed** I...Umm...well crap!!  I do apolgize...I had made like 5 or 6 test rolls my habit is when I get a good test roll to do a real one...

My aplogies again, I will withdraw any interest in this since I made a HUGE mistake with the die roller!

avorae

If you made several test rolls before making your real roll then it is possible that you hit the roll dice button by mistake and not realized it. I have done it several times myself.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
In fact the set of rolls I have for this game was one said mistake.

ulthakptah

Quote from: Phaia on November 13, 2013, 05:51:20 PM
I am sure why you would think I am cheating...i rolled several test rolls before trying it for real
I have made mistakes before

I was told in another group to get 5d6 reroll 1s and keep 3, that i could use 5d5 keep 3 and add 3 to total but then was told no that wouldnt work either
I do not use that die roller alot for multiple dice so please let me know what I did wrong....

When I made that roll i had copied and pasted it to a pm to myself? Seeing the pm in my messages is what got me to ask if you akk were still open

Phaia

edit: okay I see what the problem is...I did not realize that group got saved and didnt even know I could back check like ershin did...normally we use point builds...

**looks very embrassed** I...Umm...well crap!!  I do apolgize...I had made like 5 or 6 test rolls my habit is when I get a good test roll to do a real one...

My aplogies again, I will withdraw any interest in this since I made a HUGE mistake with the die roller!
No need for that, it's an honest mistake, just use the first set which is 20, 18, 16, 14, 13, 13.

Phaia

I am still embrassed. I did not realize that I did that  had made a saved roll

Phaia

Blackflow

Posting interest, probably either as a Zen Archer or a Monk/Fighter melee character, depending on die rolls.

Aaaand ... yeah, ridiculous rolls?

Roll ID: 51476
Owner: Blackflow
Viewer: Noone or Anyone
Time Rolled: 2013-11-13 19:09:29

Summary: At 2013-11-13 19:09:29, Blackflow (uid: 7844) rolls: 6d12m8 Result: 109

Full Result: Blackflow rolled: 6d12, modifying each die by 8
Comment:
Result: 20, 20, 18, 12, 20, 19,
Total: 109

I ... I'll have to think about what kind of crazy character I want to make with that.
He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder.

Phaia

iam kinda looking at either a monk or a bard

phaia

avorae

I am going to go either straight rogue or rogue/Shadowdancer

Blackflow

Can magic weapons/armor be made?  I was thinking of going with Master Craftsman and making someone who could craft for the party (in addition to being badass).
He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder.

Phaia

can i ask what a factotum is? I do not see it in any of the classes I normally use?

phaia

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: Phaia on November 13, 2013, 09:13:54 PM
can i ask what a factotum is? I do not see it in any of the classes I normally use?

phaia

You may ask what a factotum is.  For I am the factotum!  Or perhaps I shall be, we will see.

A factotum is a jack of all trades, but a master of none.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Phaia

lol well okay i guess that answered that so we CAN use non stantard classes...i want to use the spell thief!

Ask GW for the details i think i have the link used in his group

phaia

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: Phaia on November 13, 2013, 09:21:58 PM
lol well okay i guess that answered that so we CAN use non stantard classes...i want to use the spell thief!

Ask GW for the details i thunk i have the link used in his group

phaia

Woah woah woah.  I asked permission to use the factotum.  Ask the GM before you throw yourself into the work. ;)
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Ghostwheel

Quote from: Phaia on November 13, 2013, 09:21:58 PM

Ask GW for the details i think i have the link used in his group

phaia

Just FYI, that was a user-created Spellthief that has nothing to do with anything that either WotC or Paizo created. The original Spellthief is found in Complete Adventurer, and you can see a copy here. Also note that I found some aspects bad for balance (both under- and over-powered), and made some drastic changes to the class in the game I'm running.

That said, it was a Pathfinder homebrew, so if the DM okays it I believe you could use the 3.5 version (which I linked) without a problem (and with the DM's permission, of course).

Also, you can find the Factotum here.

Blackflow

Well Myth-Weavers seems to be down at the moment, and that's the site I normally use, so for now I'll post a statblock here.  Presenting Solomur, the dwarven Piercer of Dragons!  Link to ability rolls.

EDIT: Link to character sheet.

Solomur
SOLOMUR
LN Dwarven Monk 8 (Zen Archer, Qinggong)
Init +11; Senses Perception +22, Darkvision 60 ft
==DEFENSE==
AC 27, touch 27, flat-footed 22 (+5 dex, +2 deflection, +10 monk bonus)
hp 104 (8d8+40)
SR 0
Fort +11, Ref +11, Will +14
Defensive Abilities Hardy (PFCR 21), Stability (PFCR 21), Sky Sentinel (PFARG 12), AC Bonus (PFCR 57)
==OFFENSE==
Spd 40 ft/x4
Melee Unarmed Strike +11/+6 (1d10+5) 20/x2 (+2 crit confirm)
Ranged Masterwork Composite Longbow +17/+17/+12/+12 (1d8+7) 19-20/x3 CM +2; [FoB]; SB [+5] (+2 crit confirm)
Special Attacks Ki Pool [12] (PFCR 59), Monk Ki (PFCR 59), Unarmed Strike (PFCR 59), Point Blank Shot (+1 atk/dmg w/in 30 feet) Big Game Hunter (+1 atk/+2 dmg vs Large or larger creatures), Sky Sentinel (+1 atk, +2 dodge AC and +2 Perception vs. flying creatures, no bonus for attacking Solomur from higher ground), Warsmith (+1 weapon damage vs. creatures made of clay, crystal, earth, metal, or stone)
==STATISTICS==
Str 20, Dex 20, Con 21, Int 18, Wis 26, Cha 10
BAB +6, CMB +11, CMD +37
Feats Additional Traits, Big Game Hunter (PFAP: RotR (PG) 13), Deadly Aim (PFCR 121), Improved Initiative, Improved Precise Shot (PFCR 128), Improved Unarmed Strike (PFCR 128), Master Craftsman (Craft (bows)) (PFCR 130), Perfect Strike (PFAPG 166-167), Point Blank Master (Longbow, Composite) (PFAPG 167), Point-Blank Shot (PFCR 131), Precise Shot (PFCR 131), Weapon Focus (Longbow, Composite) (PFCR 136-137), Weapon Specialization (Longbow, Composite) (PFCR 137)
Skills Acrobatics +16 [Jump +28, Jump with running start +28], Climb +16, Craft (alchemy) +15, Craft (bows) +15, Craft (weapons) +10, Knowledge (engineering) +8, Knowledge (history) +8, Knowledge (religion) +8, Perception +22, Ride +9, Sense Motive +12, Stealth +16, Survival +20, Swim +16
SQ Slow and Steady (PFCR 21), High Jump (PFCR 59), Fast Movement (PFCR 58, 59)
SU Ki Arrows (PFAPG 115), Ki Powers [Barkskin, Restoration] (PFUM 51-52)
Traits Martial Manuscript (Faith), Poverty-Stricken (Social) (PFAPG 330), Reactionary (Combat), Warsmith (Race: Dwarf) (PFCo: DoG 10)
Languages Common, Dwarven, Giant, Goblin, Terran, Undercommon
==Magic==
Eq'd Magic Quick Runner's Shirt, Boots of Speed, Headband of Inspired Wisdom +2, Bracers of Falcon's Aim, Ring of Protection +1, Ring of Feather Falling, Cloak of the Hedge Wizard (conjuration)
Misc Efficient Quiver, Arrows (76), Cold Iron Arrows (20), Silvered Arrows (20), Adamantine Arrows (4), Blunt Arrows (40); Pathfinder's Kit, Deluxe Dungeoneering Kit, 10 potions of CLW (CL 1), 4 oils of Magic Weapon +1 (CL 1), 1 potion of Invisibility (CL 3), 1 potion of Water Breathing (CL 5)

Phaia

i would perfer to use this one with the spells since the ability to have all knowledge skills is a big thing

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15644644

as for homebrews ...i did not see anything listed that we were being allowed to use homebrews or non standard class/subclasses

phaia

Phaia

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on November 13, 2013, 09:23:00 PM
Woah woah woah.  I asked permission to use the factotum.  Ask the GM before you throw yourself into the work. ;)

I did not say I was  but that I wanted too!!  ;) :P

SO GM can I use spell thief?

phaia

Phaia

I decided to build a witch since you all need some spell backup. [with all the combat classes you guys can keep a pretty witch alive i hope]
I have a few questions for uthakptah

1] I spent a bunch of gold on scrolls for spells that are in the witch spells lists [mainly lvl 3 and 4] that she did not have based on amount per level... can I have added these to her spell lists [ie in her familiar] at the start of everything?

2] I also had her take the scribe scroll feat. Is possible to start with scrolls she has scribed [as long as I pay the create scroll costs for each scroll]?

3] I am considering getting her a robe of useful items, now I would be a bit unhappy to get only 4 items from the 4d4 roll so could maybe we comprimise and go with an average and say 10 items and I roll for for what they are...of course having all 16 would be even better :) [not just for me but for the group] ?

Also guys I have a suggestion...for the group...if ya all have an extra 750 gp laying about ...pick up a wand of cure light wounds. Even if you cannot use it my witch can and can heal you with it. I have gotten 2 already but we can never have enough healing when monster hunting *nods nods*

I should be finished later to day [if my 4 year old ever decides he has run out of energy that is].
Phai

ulthakptah

Spell thief is okay, but only the one from complete adventurer, not that pathfinder homebrew link. Also witches are full castors, and you may have missed it, but those aren't an option in this game.

Phaia

Quote from: ulthakptah on November 14, 2013, 03:54:35 PM
Also witches are full castors, and you may have missed it, but those aren't an option in this game.

well poooh!! hmmm *smoke raises from her blonde head as she shifts gears* okayyyyyy

I Can do a bard!! lol I liked the hex aspect or the witch but can do a bard just now have to reshift things a lot!

You have mentioned a bard so I am guessig they are okay?

if we dont have casters, can we still get magic items... like wands etc? Should the prices be more? after all someone made them

Phaia

ulthakptah

Bards are fine. Technically they are full castors, but really not really in my opinion. And just because the players can't be castors does not mean they don't exist. They just aren't the sort of people who join the guild of monster hunters. Magic items still exist as normal, with the exception of magic weapons and armor as they have been replaced with new ones that require the killing of monsters to obtain. Which I will make up what they are and what they do as soon as I pick what BFM you guys have to kill. Roll the film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6L2NIgn6Pg

Blackflow

So will new magic weapons be just obtained, or will they be crafted?  I took Master Craftsman and Craft Magic Arms and Armor -- are those necessary, or should I spend those feats elsewhere as there won't be much to do with them?

Ghostwheel

Also, do you have a rough estimate of when you'd like to choose people and start the game? Or still haven't decided on that?

ulthakptah

Quote from: Blackflow on November 15, 2013, 02:11:43 PM
So will new magic weapons be just obtained, or will they be crafted?  I took Master Craftsman and Craft Magic Arms and Armor -- are those necessary, or should I spend those feats elsewhere as there won't be much to do with them?
They will be crafted, just not by the players. Those feat slots would be best used for more combat related things, as you should be far to busy out hunting monster to be working a forge. Crafting traps, alchemy (mainly bombs), and ammunition might come in handy, but things that could be made in a sitting rather than whole days of work. Also if you wanted the crafting to save some money don't. I do not plan on charging arms and legs for the weapons and armor. Well not your arms and legs... The spare parts from the monster that aren't used in making your new gear should mostly cover the price to have them made.
Quote from: Ghostwheel on November 15, 2013, 02:15:06 PM
Also, do you have a rough estimate of when you'd like to choose people and start the game? Or still haven't decided on that?
I have not decided, I might soon though.

Phaia

i am getting close to finish with my bard but have a question for ya ulthkpath

can i use this trait http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/equipment-traits/heirloom-weapon
to pick up an elven curve blade for my human bard...looking for a different weapon to use with weapon finesse other then the normal rapier all bards seem to use... the way the trait reads it nearly is as good as a feat so did not want to just grab it before asking

phaia

Ghostwheel

The reason that the trait isn't as considered as powerful as a feat is because it's a non-masterwork weapon, and you're *only* proficient with it when wielding *that* specific weapon, which means that you wouldn't ever be able to use anything but the very basic one (no enhancement, etc) unless you went ahead and spent a feat on proficiency. Also note that it can only be taken with simple or martial weapons.

Phaia

ahhh that makes sense ....thanks

also would the profession-cook be useful to us in the field...fry up some of the monster steaks maybe?

i was looking for a decent weapon that would work with weapon finesse and a bard is why i was asking...and having it not mw ..lol i suppose i could not get it with a special material...adamantine weapons are MW but that would be cheating of course it would then cost 3080 lol
may just stay an elf then...just looking at being a control bard with whip/net and a nasty weapon

phaia

Wheresmycow

Quote from: Phaia on November 15, 2013, 07:54:39 PM
ahhh that makes sense ....thanks

also would the profession-cook be useful to us in the field...fry up some of the monster steaks maybe?

i was looking for a decent weapon that would work with weapon finesse and a bard is why i was asking...and having it not mw ..lol i suppose i could not get it with a special material...adamantine weapons are MW but that would be cheating of course it would then cost 3080 lol
may just stay an elf then...just looking at being a control bard with whip/net and a nasty weapon

phaia
I got mithral full plate okay'd by the GM.  I believe he's allowing special materials.
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

Phaia

you do realize its a tropical, jungle setting...high heat. humid...fatigue lots of water

phaia

Wheresmycow

Quote from: Phaia on November 15, 2013, 08:24:29 PM
you do realize its a tropical, jungle setting...high heat. humid...fatigue lots of water

phaia
Yep.  Just means my character is a badass.

Besides, I've played Monster Hunter.  I've been a greatsword swinging mofo wearing heavy armour.  Trust me, conventional logic doesn't apply to Monster Hunter at all.
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

Phaia

darn my bard just wears sexy leathers

and cant use a real MOFO weapon

by the GW there is a way around the nonMW aspect of the heirloom weapon and  that is the  spell Masterwork transformation...2nd level for most of the spell casters....the way it reads it changes the item to a MW....i have the extra gold it would take

so GM sir would you allow that...take heirloom elven curve blade as a heirloom weapon and then cast MasterWork Transformation on it?

phaia

Ghostwheel

Note that, like I mentioned, it still needs to be a simple/masterwork weapon, and since that's an exotic weapon......

(Yes, I know they treat it like a martial weapon for the purpose of proficiency and such if you're an elf, but it still counts as an exotic weapon on the chart. Though the DM might say differently, but at that point it's his call.)

ulthakptah

I say it could count, it makes sense that elves would pass down an elven sword. However you might not want to do that as you may have no noticed, but you will get crazy ass magic weapons from killing monsters in this game, which will not be your family sword. Also cooking could be useful. Mmm... monster steak.

Phaia

Quote from: Ghostwheel on November 15, 2013, 08:46:55 PM
Note that, like I mentioned, it still needs to be a simple/masterwork weapon, and since that's an exotic weapon......

(Yes, I know they treat it like a martial weapon for the purpose of proficiency and such if you're an elf, but it still counts as an exotic weapon on the chart. Though the DM might say differently, but at that point it's his call.)

decided to stay an elf...I was looking at that nice human ability to add a spell known [one level less ] instead of skill or hit point  would have given her extra spells but after looking at it ..low light vision and plus to perception..decided to stay elf

but here are some more questions since I am in the point of spending the rest of her gold
would having a large tent be useful to the group...she has the space in her bag of holding and the gold? I was also thinking about hunting/traking dogs with her versitile performance she will have a high handle animal so she could train them

also for color mainly..was looking at trade goods they have silk listed at 10gp a sq yd...are there better grades or something like elf silk [softer, shear etc...[ was planing on having the silk in 1ft by 9ft strips and used in her dances at times [sorta a dance of the veils...kinda] if so how much more would it cost

i am taking an elf there for the elven curve blade is a weapon since it has elven in the name :) so dont worry bout the heirloom weapon trait going for another
i have gotten several wands... 2 cure lights but if anyone has extra gold grab a wand of cure lights [750gp] even if your character cant use it mine can and it has 50 charges   

oh ulthakptah you okay with a wand of gravity bow or lead blades...both very useful to the hunters even if it only lasts a minute

i am looking at this as the image for her armor without all the throwing daggers... think she is elven enough of course the blue hair fits with the monster hunters right?
i suppose i could get her a bunch of throwing knives ..though her main range weapon is a MW comp LB... she wont be using it much with all the archer types we have

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

phaia

Phaia

before i forget can i  have an adamantine weapon which would be mw as well per the adamantine section....lol the elven curved blade of course!!

i also need to know if a 'dart' [ranged simple weapon a bard can use] is considered ammo for purposes of MW or special materials? it would effect the cost [also a dart is very similar to what the girl in the image has as thrown weapons]

phaia

eBadger

If you still need more players, I'll submit a mage of some flavor later tonight.  Probably a transmuter with a penchant for alchemy. 

Phaia

Quote from: eBadger on November 16, 2013, 09:42:53 PM
If you still need more players, I'll submit a mage of some flavor later tonight.  Probably a transmuter with a penchant for alchemy.

hun read the first page NO FULL CASTERS allowed...i had a great idea for a witch..no go...bards are allowed but thats mine..rangers and paladins i think are allowed..not sure on those

phaia

Idej

Zaer Darkwail

Reason is probably because it's monster hunter game based DnD game and in monster hunter game there are no spellcasters anykind (just bunch of people who melee or use ranged bow attacks on monsters).

Zaer Darkwail

Hmmm, I am considering either Spellthief (complete adventurer), I assume some monsters have spell-alike abilities or outright caster levels (example dragons with sorcerer levels).

Or be crusader, a tank sort build with glaive or spiked chain.

Muse

If you're still recruting, would a Dragon Shaman be martial enough?  Especially one with martial weapon proficiency? 

Though really, I should probably look at some of those cool old martial priestess classes here... 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Muse

Oh!  I've got it! 

Do you have room for a Dervish? 

Phaia

hey guys let me intorduce Ahrainna the sey elf bard....i did not notice much of backgrounds for anyone so unless ne is needed [which i have] i amjust tossing her to the monsters..

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=708754

instead of posting all her gear on the sheet i am doing it here

magic items--26970gp

Necklace of Fireballs- Type ll [2700] - 6d6/4d6x2/2d6x2
wand of cure light wounds [750]
belt of physical might +2 dex /str [10000]
clock of elvenkind [2500] +5 stealth
boots of elven kind [2500] +5 acrobatics
campfire bead [720]
handy haversack [2000]
scabbard of vigor [1800]
bag of holding type l [2500] 15lbs- holds 250lbs/30 cu ft
[26970]

weapons /armor--4666gp

Adamantine Elven Curved Blade [MW] [3080] 7lbs
MW Composite Longbow, Mighty +3 [700] 3lbs
20 arrows [1] 3lbs
MW Rapier [320] 2lbs  1d6  18-20/x2
MW Whip [301] 2lbs
Dagger x2 [4gp] 2lbs
MW Leather Armor [160] 15lbs
Net x5 [6lbs]
[4666]

gear 1) 170gp/5sp/4cp

bedroll [5lbs], blanket [3lbs], caltrops x6 [12lbs], candle x10, flint and steel, mug x2, lantern bullseye [3lbs], oil 4 pints [4lbs],
belt pouch x2 [1lbs], rations x30 days* [30lbs], 50' silk rope [5lbs], water skin x3 [12lbs], whetstone x2, tent, pavilion* [50lbs]
bear traps x10* [100lbs], *MW cook set [10lbs][+2 cooking]
*bag of holding not handy haversack

gear 2) 478gp.4sp

antitoxin 4 vials, everburning torch x2 [2lbs], sunrod x6 [6lbs], tindertwig x15, hot weather outfit [4lbs], white/red silk 2 sq yd [2 pieces 1' by 9']
sack x4 [2lbs], entertainer's outfit [4lbs]

gear 3) 75gp 5 sp

tobacco [1lb], cinnamon [1lb], salt [2lbs], cloves [1lbs], pepper [1lb], *ale -gallon [8lbs], cheese -hunk x6 [3lbs], Meat hunk x4 [2lbs],
fine wine -bottle x2 [3lbs]
[50.5]
*20lbs seasonings, etc
[25gp]
*in bag of holding

attribute build

20,18, 16, 14, 13, 13

Elf
         base +  Race    + advance       +magic
Str      16            16            16        [+2] 18
Dex     20    [+2] 22            22       [+2] 24
Con    14     [-2] 12     [+1] 13               13
Int      13    [+2] 15     [+1] 16               16
Wis     13            13            13               13
Cha    18            18            18                18

coins left: 639 gp/ 5sp/ 6cp

i would be happy to donate 300 gp for an extar wand of cure lights or most any lvl 1

phaia

ulthakptah

Yes, there will be monsters with spell like abilities.

No, dragon shamans are not martial enough for me.

Muse

Name:      Ania
Birthday   7-19
Height:      5’1”
Weight:   110lbs
Measures:   34”B, 24”, 30”
Skin:      Mocha
Hair:      Blue-Black
Eyes:      Sapphire
Style:      Ania favors soft black sandals that lace up to her knees.  She wears a red skirt that doesn’t quite fall to her knees and is slit up the left side for full range of motion.  A vest matches this over a white tube top.  She wears a braided golden belt from which a scimitar hangs on golden chains.  A small black quiver is bound to her left thigh, and a dagger to the same calf.  A large diamond shaped sapphire in a golden setting dangles in her cleavage. 

Ania was born in the village of Bree and lived there into her ninth year.  It was then that the village was attacked by the notorious dragon Fyrentanomeer.  This great scarlet wyrm burned her village to the ground and, devouring maidens and making off with their meager treasures. 

He never found the beautiful blue gem he was seeking, for Anaia’s father slipped it around her neck before throwing her into the river.  The gem’s magic—now exhausted—gave her the gift of water breathing and the water protected her somewhat from the dragon’s fire. 

Ania was discovered three days later by a traveling circus.  She was adopted by Klyle the lion tamer and his wife Mara—an acrobat.  For several years she spoke only to lion cubs, and she remained very close with the lions even once she’d begun interacting with humans again.  She became chipper and talkative at that point, but trained hard to learn the ways of weapons and armor with the ultimate goal of becoming a monster hunter and a dragon slayer. 

She still wears the gem around her neck, a silent dare to Fyren to come and face her, though she knows she must still grow much stronger before she’s ready to face a wyrm. 

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=715852

Thorn14

Can I get into the wait list for this? I can't believe I overlooked this RP!

Phaia

*tap tap tap**

helloooo!!
is this still gonna happen or did it fade away?

phaia

ulthakptah

Well thanksgiving happened. Once I come out of my food coma, I will start it up.

Phaia

hellooo!!!

are you still doing this!!??

Phaia

ulthakptah

Yeah I'm writing the first post now. Who all is still around and wants to play?

PhantomPistoleer

Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Muse

Phaia

ulthakptah

LoveCandle

Hey seen this and was wondering if you guys are  still in need of players?
Trust me... you will never forget me

ulthakptah

This game never really got off the ground. Even if more people wanted to play now I don't have the time to run it.

LoveCandle

Trust me... you will never forget me