Skull & Shackles: Pirates of the Skies [Pathfinder | Now closed]

Started by Heady Dionysus, November 29, 2017, 02:46:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Re Z L

A&A

kingmaster1

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on November 29, 2017, 07:34:24 PM
Though This One is more Comprehensive. They're strictly opinion, obviously, but they can give you some ideas on where to go. :D

Oh god, I didn't pick the easiest set up, did i? XD

Chulanowa

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on November 29, 2017, 07:32:30 PM
Well, a level 1 character is pretty easy to build. Personally speaking, I'd take a nose at a few Guides before building a Witch.

This one is pretty good, though it misses a few important options. :D

Witches are super-easy. Like a lot of the "Ultimate X" classes, they kinda build themselves.

Make int your main stat, pick a Patron that gives you spells that aren't already on the Witch List, and then spend all your feats on Spell Focus and Extra Hex  ;D

Also, Huzzah, someone else who plays the shorts!

kingmaster1

Quote from: Chulanowa on November 29, 2017, 08:35:25 PM
Witches are super-easy. Like a lot of the "Ultimate X" classes, they kinda build themselves.

Make int your main stat, pick a Patron that gives you spells that aren't already on the Witch List, and then spend all your feats on Spell Focus and Extra Hex  ;D

Also, Huzzah, someone else who plays the shorts!

I've been seeing the animal bond witch is good, I might go off of that. I was originally thinking that anyway ^_^

Hexed

The short ones are the best!

Question for those with a better idea of the setting. Would  a lawful (Neutral or Evil) alignment cause much trouble as a pirate? Player's guide had little advice beyond the traits, unless I'm missing something. And I was looking at the Unchained Monk. Possibly the scaled fist archetype? I think that's the name of it.

Chulanowa

Quote from: Hexed on November 29, 2017, 08:49:40 PM
The short ones are the best!

Question for those with a better idea of the setting. Would  a lawful (Neutral or Evil) alignment cause much trouble as a pirate? Player's guide had little advice beyond the traits, unless I'm missing something. And I was looking at the Unchained Monk. Possibly the scaled fist archetype? I think that's the name of it.

Nah, in fact even Lawful Good works just fine (if you want to play Errol Flynn). The thing with Paladins is that they aren't allowed to associate with evil characters... which are in abundance in a pirate game (S&S in particular.) It's not so much an alignment thing as a detrimental class feature thing  ;D

kingmaster1

Quote from: Chulanowa on November 29, 2017, 09:01:23 PM
Nah, in fact even Lawful Good works just fine (if you want to play Errol Flynn). The thing with Paladins is that they aren't allowed to associate with evil characters... which are in abundance in a pirate game (S&S in particular.) It's not so much an alignment thing as a detrimental class feature thing  ;D

There are anti-paladins in Pathfinder, aren't there? One of those could be fun :-P

Heady Dionysus

Quote from: kingmaster1 on November 29, 2017, 10:29:17 AM
Wanna see if this is okay before I pop up the more technical aspects. Suffice to say she's a witch with the animal patron.
I think it's okay.  I'm assuming she's using Changeling stats rather than halfing?  I suppose she could be mistaken for a tall halfling, given as changelings are somewhat short to begin with.

Other than that, I'm generally okay with the characters so far presented.  I will give the stats a look-over momentarily.

With regards to alignment, I figure anything short of LG is good to play - the general environment of the Shackles isn't generally conducive to LG play since it will be very difficult to turn a blind eye to things happening around, or else risk making a sheer number of enemies.  The Paladin however, does have the Gray Paladin archetype if I remember correctly, which permits a paladin with or LN, NG alignment, albeit at watering down some of its class features, easing association with evil characters.
Discord ID: Heady Dionysus#8726

Chulanowa

Quote from: Heady Dionysus on November 29, 2017, 10:55:37 PM
I think it's okay.  I'm assuming she's using Changeling stats rather than halfing?  I suppose she could be mistaken for a tall halfling, given as changelings are somewhat short to begin with.

Neat thing; Changelings can come out of any humanoid race, which they will resemble. The same goes for pretty much all the "bloodline" races - Aasimar, Changelings, Dhampir, Ganzi, Ifrit, Oread, Skinwalkers, Suli, Sylphs, Tieflings, and Undine. The only difference between say, a Aasimar from a gnomish line and an Aasimar from a human line is that the Gnome one will be Small instead of Medium; they use standard Aasimar stats for everything else.

kingmaster1

Quote from: Chulanowa on November 29, 2017, 11:30:33 PM
Neat thing; Changelings can come out of any humanoid race, which they will resemble. The same goes for pretty much all the "bloodline" races - Aasimar, Changelings, Dhampir, Ganzi, Ifrit, Oread, Skinwalkers, Suli, Sylphs, Tieflings, and Undine. The only difference between say, a Aasimar from a gnomish line and an Aasimar from a human line is that the Gnome one will be Small instead of Medium; they use standard Aasimar stats for everything else.

Yus, this! So, she is very much a halfling in appearance

Vergil Tanner

Anti Paladins do indeed exist! And my Ifrit Level 1 Anti Paladin killed a dude in one shot with a fork. That was on fire.

Anti Paladins are cool :P
Vergil's Faceclaim Archive; For All Your Character Model Seeking Needs!

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Dubbed the "Oath of Drake,"
A noble philosophy; I adhere...for now.

Muse

I wonder if I'm too late.  Even if I am, let's see if i can help out a little bit. 

Quote from: Heady Dionysus on November 29, 2017, 02:46:03 AM
Alignment: Any non-evil.

That kind of leaves out the anti-paladin!  Or anyone who would truly make a paladin unplayable. 

Quote from: kingmaster1 on November 29, 2017, 07:01:30 PM
How does my character look to the more Pathfinder familiar? I'm a complete noob and had to do lots of research beforehand XD

Is she a halfing or a changeling? 

While she might have halfling blood, a changeling is a changeling. 

You can find their game information here.

Changelings range from 5'4" to 5'10" and 95 to 125 pounds. 

Find halfling game informtion here. 

Halfling girls range from 2'8" to 3'2". 

If what you're looking for is a changeling with halfling features, I can look around and see if there's any info on them. 

I'll read the rest of your history and give you a word or two before I see about throwing together an aplication of my own.  (Also, if what you want is a changeling witch, there's a racial variant that gives bonuses to inteligence.  That's a good one for a witch! 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Vergil Tanner

Quote from: Muse on November 30, 2017, 01:22:06 AM
Is she a halfing or a changeling? 

While she might have halfling blood, a changeling is a changeling. 

You can find their game information here.

Changelings range from 5'4" to 5'10" and 95 to 125 pounds. 

Find halfling game informtion here. 

Halfling girls range from 2'8" to 3'2". 

If what you're looking for is a changeling with halfling features, I can look around and see if there's any info on them. 

I'll read the rest of your history and give you a word or two before I see about throwing together an aplication of my own.  (Also, if what you want is a changeling witch, there's a racial variant that gives bonuses to inteligence.  That's a good one for a witch! 

From the PFSRD:

QuoteChangelings are the offspring of hags and their lovers taken through magic or madness. Dropped off on doorsteps of prospective foster parents, changelings are raised by strangers. Typically tall, slender, dark haired, and attractive, changelings otherwise resemble their fathers’ race. They are always female, and their mismatched colored eyes and abnormally pale skin hint at their true heritage. At puberty, changelings receive “the call,” a hypnotic spiritual voice that beckons them to travel and discover their true origins. Changelings who ignore this call choose their own destiny; those who heed it discover their “mother” and may come into great power by transforming into hags themselves.

So from what it says, if the father is a Halfling...then they'll resemble the Halfling. When it says "Tall," I assume it means "Tall relative to their fathers race." Of course, that would be up to GM discretion, but as a GM I personally wouldn't mind them having a Halfling-sized Changeling, assuming the father was a changeling. But then, that's just me :P

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Vergil Tanner

*Father was a halfling, sorry. Realised that error a moment after I hit send, and for some reason I can't edit my posts here. :P

Muse

To get a bit further into what I know of changeling lore--one of the first pathfinder characters I planed, and longest running, was a changeling Holy Gun--it's pretty bizzare for: 

A.  Her parents to know what she is.  Near as they can tell, she's just a baby abandoned on their doorstep...  Who has bichroma...  And dark vision...  And can slice things with her fingernais!  Which means she's obviously nto a normal halfling!  But what a changeling _is_ isn't common knowlege. 
  B.  Her mother is being uncommonly honest to send dreams where she uses her own voice and offers magical power instead of singing beautiful lulabies and songs of a young mother yearning to learn what has become of her lost daughter.  :) 

The rest seems pretty awesome, and none of that seems unsurmountable.  If I were pitching the history I'd check to see what the GM thoguht of the parents knowing what a changeling was, just in case...  :) 

Anyways.

If I'm not mistaken, the only healing proposed so far is our witch, and our witch doesn't use the hedge-witch archetype? 

:)  Let's see what I can offer...
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Muse on November 30, 2017, 01:31:34 AM
  If I'm not mistaken, the only healing proposed so far is our witch, and our witch doesn't use the hedge-witch archetype? 

:)  Let's see what I can offer...

Yes, submit and become our party's healslut  >:).

Muse

*laughs* 

First healslut I really played was actualy a witch.  ;) 

Though I guess I don't exactly do a typical healsut.  :) 

Muse

Aasimar cleric of Shelyn, further information forthcoming.  :) 

Zaer Darkwail

Pic looks good at least :). As note my char has familiar (through eldricth heritage), it's the huge purple parrot in his shoulder in the pic.

Chulanowa

I think... I think this game is going to get a male character out of me. Weird!

Muse

Hurrah for the parot1 :) 

Chulla?  A guy character?  Interetsing...  ;) 

Revelation

Name: Jericho Graves
Nickname: ‘Cho’
Sex: Male

Race: Human
Class: Summoner
Alignment: NG

Basic appearance
image hereBelying an inner strength and fortitude, Jericho isn’t the most physically imposing of men. A little more on the slender and handsome side, he almost appears a little bookish, though of course he’s strong enough to fend for himself in battle when necessary. A man who obviously takes care of his appearance, he has his own charms – if one goes for someone of a glasses wearing persuasion.

His Eidolon however, is a beastly thing. A monster in every sense of the word, clad in dark fur and looking like a hound straight from the depths of hell, it is sleek, elegant, and its eyes burn with amber flame. However, the beast seems loyal to its master, obeying his word and whim - acting much the part of a loyal dog rather than the vicious hound of hell it looks like.

Personality
A good man, Jericho combines a natural curiosity and wonder of the world alongside a desire to explore, do good, and fight a more righteous – if not quite ‘lawful’ fight. Of course, he has a natural desire to compete and show himself to be the best in his particular profession, and the instinct to showboat at times can be a little overwhelming. Such narcissism can quickly fade however, leaving him a little flustered as hit own desires to showboat at times. At the end of the day, Jericho is loyal to friends and allies, and quick to defend them with spell or a command to his summoned being. Death holds little fear to him aside from pain - as he already knows what awaits him beyond.

Background
Born and native to Port Peril itself, Jericho was the child of merchants who had decided to ‘retire’in the city, though rumor has it that they had settled in the city to escape some deal or foul bargain they had bailed on – Jericho was never told the reasons why! Only that they seemed relatively happy with their life within the city. And they expected him to follow in their stead – or at least live a peaceful and quiet life within a city full of sin, piracy, and riches to be had. Of course he’d want to lead the life of a pirate, why wouldn’t he? Of course he himself lacked heavily in brute strength, or rogueish wiles while growing into a fine young man.

What he did not count on was a deathly sickness catching hold of him as a child. For days he fought against a debilitating illness that threatened to take his life, a fever that did not break or give respite, and a deathly pallor that gave him the look of one ready to be buried. His parents sought everything in their power to heal him, from magic that did little, to medicine that seemed to just stave off the inevitable. For two weeks and a day, Jericho fought to stay alive, and every time he sensed his life ebbing... It seemed there was something there to comfort him. To soothe him. A beast - not unlike a wolf or hound stayed close to his side, visible only to him. It did not harm or hurt him, instead laying its head against his hand as he sought to pet and caress the beasts smokey fur. At the end when it seemed Jericho was lost... He made a miraculous recovery, lurching forward with a brow covered in sweat, and bloodshot eyes that had seen death itself. His parents called it a miracle from the gods, and well... The young man did not quite agree, yet he knew it was a miracle all the same. Whatever the illness did to him, it breathed into him the spark of magic, and more. He knew the beast that had stayed with him to the end was a creature of death. Yet it was not hostile, and it seemed to like him - like him enough to tether itself to him somehow. Through the years, Jericho has kept his magic hidden (At times very riskily), and the beast has grown strong at his side all the while. Now a talented mage and summoner, Jericho knows that whatever lies beyond the mortal coil is not to be feared, and to that end he seeks to embrace and embellish life as much as he can. The life of a pirate is perfect for that, to be free and travel, to be beholden to no nation or cause but your own and that of your fellow crew. To enjoy life with a pure zest! And should any seek to strike him down before he is ready, they will find that while he is not quite afraid of death... Others should be, for a sliver of it trods along side him.
---

Whew! Okay, major revision!

Muse

Amariel Rainbowwing

A long time ago, there was a golden haired waif growing up on the docksides.  She sang for her supper, or begged when singing didnt' get enough copper in her bowl.  A slip of a girl who never seemed to grow older than nine, even though people could remember her there from twenty years ago, the bullyboys quickly learned that she carried brass knuckles and had a mean right hook. 

The only name she had at the time was Punchy. 

Some sixty years ago and change Raven, a young priestess of Shelyn, saw the gold in the wild mop of hair, the brilliant shine in saphire eyes beneath the grime on her face, and heard the haunteing beauty in her song.  She adopted the girl, giving her the name Amariel Rainbowing. 

Amariel's beauty--within and wihtout--proved to be just as great as the priestess believed.  Though Amariel seemed to age only a year or two every decade, Amariel loved her dearly, as did the whole of the temple.  They nurtured Amariel's beauty--within and without--'til she was a gentle hearted healer and peacemaker... 

But she still kept a pair of gloves with heavy steel plates.  When the inocent suffered, their opressors would eventualy learn that the girl carried a glaive, and she still had a mean right cross. 

kingmaster1

I'm glad for all the feedback on my character! I'm totally fine in changing her backstory and height n stuff if the gm says so. Again, I'm very new at pathfinder stuff so, I'm not too stubborn on specifics :-P

Daril

I'm interested, though I'm not that familiar with the setting.  I was thinking of trying to come up with a roguish "robin hood priestess" sort of character, but it looks like you already have a cleric.