Looking for a Pathfinder Game.

Started by Blinkin, October 11, 2013, 02:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinkin

Well... It looks like 2 games have crapped out on me and a third potential game simply closed for reasons I'm not asking about... I'm hoping to find a pathfinder game to join.

So, if someone out there has an opening, I'll be happy to work with the GM and players to create a character of any level that will fit into the game and help it along in any way that I can. I know that Pathfinder games are incredibly popular on E, but that many of them fail within a few weeks of starting... I AM a player who sticks with a game to the bitter end and want to see the game succeed. I will not crap out on you or simply disappear. Give me a chance.

I coulda ben ah contender! lol
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

EroticFantasyAuthor

Unfortunately it seems like Play-By-Posts are ultimately a waste of time, most of them do not even make it past their first social/combat encounter.

Wish it was different, but sadly don't know what to do about it.

Blinkin

The real issue with all PBP, be it forum, email or some other format, is that things get hung up on one, perhaps two players who apparently decide that they aren't interested anymore and won't bother to tell anyone. The GM, or other players get stuck waiting for said player and in the process, everyone else gives up on the game. It's not just Pathfinder, but every group game I've seen. If you do find a game that has run for more than a few weeks, it's because of a high turn over rate or an aggresssively determined GM/topic starter.

Sadly, there's little incentive to keep with a relatively slow paced form of RP and if you do find a core of devoted and active players, it still just takes one player to kill things if the GM/topic starter is afraid to skip it and move on.

I do think that the problem can be overcome, I've seen it in the past.. the distant past when the net wasa basically a massive number of privately run BBS's, but still, if a group of players who really want to play could gather with a GM who wants to keep it going, it can be done.

Just out of curiosity, and to see if anyone reads this... who out there would be willing to dedicate a character to a game with a 72 hour posting schedule? That means that everyone (including the GM) puts out at least 1 post in every 72 hour span. Come rain, snow, high water or bad connections... taking into account RL events that require priority, of course... besides me?
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

AndyZ

Crap, I tend to post every day unless I'm waiting for people or on vacation with family.

I'm terrible with Pathfinder but I can keep an eye on this.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Blinkin

Hell, I've been known to post several times a day if things are moving that fast. I only get quiet when I'm waiting on someone else. As I said, it's usually one, two members who manage to kill games. Aside from RL demands, that is.

That's why I asked about a 3 day rhythm; usually, someone can at least put out a basic post of "He stands and nods in agreement" or some such at some point in that amount of time... accidents happen, and that is taken into account, but assuming a regular schedule and nothing hugely life altering taking place.

My wife is chronically sick with a severely painful condition, 2 guide dogs to care for and I just pulled a back muscle two days ago... but I can sit down long enough to get something out every couple of days.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Vorian

Quote from: Blinkin on October 11, 2013, 06:54:30 PM
Just out of curiosity, and to see if anyone reads this... who out there would be willing to dedicate a character to a game with a 72 hour posting schedule? That means that everyone (including the GM) puts out at least 1 post in every 72 hour span. Come rain, snow, high water or bad connections... taking into account RL events that require priority, of course... besides me?

I can. I haven't messed with Pathfinder much yet but I have some 3.5 experience.
Ons/Offs - Updated 10/8/14 to reflect my switch to Liege and attempt a bit more clarity.
Ideas
Absences - Updated 3/26/15

godfang

so the key would be to do a one on one game, or play with people you know well.

another option is to just play on roll20, but you need to find people with simmilar schedules to you

Blinkin

D&D 3.X and beyond really isn't very different from Pathfinder. From what I can tell from my limited 3.5 experience (6 months in The World's Largest Dungeon), they are virtually identical overall. The magic system is a little different, but overall, it's pretty close.

I wouldn't say that it's a matter of finding people you know as just putting it out there in the beginning that it's expected and enforce it. Friends may actually be a downside in some ways because you're more willing to give them more time to sit and find other things to do first. Again, a lot of the games that I've been in and have died is because a player didn't respond to a prompt and everyone else got tired of waiting. I won't say that I haven't missed cue and had to be reminded in PM that I was up. But, by and large, I'm fairly consistant and active. That's all it takes, forming a group who understand that there's a requirement to keep active and enforcing it.

I'm not talking about being draconian about it or not understanding that RL comes first. It's more keeping in touch with everyone and popping in to say, "RL is kicking my ass, need a few days." Then, everyone knows what's going on and the scene can proceed or wait... The character's action can be skipped and continue on.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Ghostwheel

I post often enough, but it's hard to find people who are willing to commit and put effort into something like this over time. As soon as it becomes difficult, or they're "too tired" or they "don't have time", the game tends to fall apart. Important to make time IMO, even if it means that you watch 10 minutes less of TV and have to make the effort of writing two paragraphs, if you say you'll show up for a game *shrug*

Vorian

Quote from: Blinkin on October 12, 2013, 03:23:46 AM
D&D 3.X and beyond really isn't very different from Pathfinder. From what I can tell from my limited 3.5 experience (6 months in The World's Largest Dungeon), they are virtually identical overall. The magic system is a little different, but overall, it's pretty close.

Multiclassing seems a lot less viable, and I've seen a lot of 'melee can't have nice things' in the feat changes, but otherwise pretty similar.
Ons/Offs - Updated 10/8/14 to reflect my switch to Liege and attempt a bit more clarity.
Ideas

Ghostwheel

Quote from: Vorian on October 12, 2013, 09:42:30 AM
Multiclassing seems a lot less viable, and I've seen a lot of 'melee can't have nice things' in the feat changes, but otherwise pretty similar.

Melee's been debuffed, ranged has been buffed for the most part. Ranged got a better Manyshot, can use it in conjunction with Rapidshot, and got Deadly Aim + Clustered Shots.

OTOH, melee lost the usual power attack that went great with Shock Trooper/Combat Brute/Emerald Razor, and also lost great combos like Robilar's Gambit combined with Stormguard Warrior. That said, they got Cleave which can be nice... but doesn't make up for the loss of the above abilities/feats :-\

And multiclassing can be good, but if you're not going into a class for a specific ability and going no farther, like in 3.5 it'll generally screw you over in the long (and sometimes short) run.

Vorian

There seems to be more incentive to stay single class compared to 3.5 though (better high level abilities, actual favored class bonuses). Not a bad thing, but different.

Not just damage, either - I tried to make a tripper once and found they've nerfed every single piece that goes into it. Seems a bit excessive.
Ideas

Ghostwheel

Note that tripping is now a standard action, so it's much harder overall to trip people as they walk past you or to trip multiple foes in one round. Also, whereas before Stand Still could be combined with Thicket of Blades to create a zone of stickiness, in PF it's much harder to build a "tank" character who can incentivize enemies to stick to them.

Blinkin

Just makes it more challenging.. and I will say that overall, spellcasters are still a little overbalanced in their favor. You can cause some really serious damage without much loss while the melee types do seem to have a cap on what they can do wihtout magical help... But, again, that's part of the challenge, which is what I like.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Vorian

Quote from: Ghostwheel on October 12, 2013, 10:42:09 AM
Note that tripping is now a standard action, so it's much harder overall to trip people as they walk past you or to trip multiple foes in one round. Also, whereas before Stand Still could be combined with Thicket of Blades to create a zone of stickiness, in PF it's much harder to build a "tank" character who can incentivize enemies to stick to them.

This, exactly. Challenge is good, taking away melee's ability to do their job effectively with only a few token nerfs to casters really isn't. Not that I want to nerf casters for the most part, but a wider range a viable options for melee would be nice. Reducing the 'rocket tag' effect is all good though.
Ideas

Blinkin

I would agree that like D&D3.X, the balance swung from spell casters being just above a joke to being the strongest character in an encounter. I saw an 8th level spellcaster drop a 10D12 fireball and the best anyone else in the party could do was a couple of D10's to an individual target... 10D12 to more than half a dozen NPC's... and it was the only spell dropped that day.

So, it is one problem both D&D and Pathfinder have in common, although I lean more toward Pathfinder in returning the balance slightly more to center... The melee types get lots of feat possibilities, but they are in 1's and 2's as far as improvement. Rogue's sneak attack isn't all that much better since you have to maneuver so much to use it and draw AAO's everywhere.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Ghostwheel

Rogues can use Gang Up to make maneuvering much easier, it's a slightly weaker version of the Island of Blades stance.

RubySlippers

Quote from: Blinkin on October 12, 2013, 11:58:46 AM
I would agree that like D&D3.X, the balance swung from spell casters being just above a joke to being the strongest character in an encounter. I saw an 8th level spellcaster drop a 10D12 fireball and the best anyone else in the party could do was a couple of D10's to an individual target... 10D12 to more than half a dozen NPC's... and it was the only spell dropped that day.

So, it is one problem both D&D and Pathfinder have in common, although I lean more toward Pathfinder in returning the balance slightly more to center... The melee types get lots of feat possibilities, but they are in 1's and 2's as far as improvement. Rogue's sneak attack isn't all that much better since you have to maneuver so much to use it and draw AAO's everywhere.

But spells exhaust and the armored tanks sword doesn't. And if the mage gets hit while trying to cast with a well placed arrow could mess it up.

Vorian

Quote from: RubySlippers on October 12, 2013, 01:36:44 PM
But spells exhaust and the armored tanks sword doesn't. And if the mage gets hit while trying to cast with a well placed arrow could mess it up.

HP and healing options do, though. Inexhaustible abilities only really help (balance wise) if they are effective enough to either handle level appropriate encounters without caster support, or conserve caster/per day resources more effectively than adding another caster would. Compared to 3.5, Pathfinder has generally weakened the options for melee to effectively protect more vulnerable members of the party, one of, if the major job a well armored melee type is supposed to be able to do. As for arrows, I'm pretty sure there are still ways to make a caster effectively immune in pathfinder, and either way that's another example of melee not being very effective as a party defense.
Ideas

Blinkin

Something I was commenting on just yesterday. I like playing Rangers specifically because they can be mage-killers as part of the support role. I can do without the companion, the first time I actually got to play with one in Pathfinder and it was nearly as big of a headache as figuring out the magic system. I know it's supposedly simple, but it gives me headaches.

Anyway, when GW's ready to offer a game, I'll offer a concept and see where it goes. Something more than, "Human Ranger." at least. lol
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

RubySlippers

Why not a game set in a town, this will allow for classical heroics or a lot more roleplaying in one game setting. Just saying depending on the starting level it might be better to have a large town it would be less complicated then a city to set up and offer options. Just an idea.

Blinkin

*blinks* (No pun intended) Where did that come from?

I don't mind city/town settings, but it gets a little dull if everything takes place there and you become just a small town boy/girl. Part of adventuring is getting out and seeing the world, which means that not everything is going to take place in population centers... the original was, afterall, a dungeon and hopefully with a dragon at it's center. ;)

I wouldn't even mind a dungeon crawl, those were fun back in the day. Aside from encounters, it required some strategy, some character cooperation, role-playing and usually puzzles or problems to solve... I wonder if I'll ever have enough spare money to buy an adventure path or a module... Then, all I would need would be someone to deal with the maps. lol

Nah, I've thrown my DMing days into the closet and closed the door... if I opened it again, who knows what would hit me in the head... probably the box set for Torg: The Possibility Wars...
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Dirigible

QuoteMulticlassing seems a lot less viable, and I've seen a lot of 'melee can't have nice things' in the feat changes, but otherwise pretty similar.

Just to butt in, but anyone with concerns like this might be interested in checking out Fantasy Craft. It's got a d20 skeleton, but it's been rebuilt from the ground up to be more flexible and coherent. And fighter-types are lavished with love, to the point where the Mage class, the only spellcaster in the core rules, is one of the more boring (Priests are okay, but that's because they're no longer primary casters, and get a ton of abilities plus domain-themed spells). There are Feats that do pretty much everything you'd expect in a d20-derived game, plus feat chains for each class of weapon (Axes, Flails, Fencing Blades, Greatswords, etc), and you can spend excess weapon Proficiencies to learn unique Tricks, which are like mini-feats you can apply to attacks to give you more options. For example, here's the Axe feat chain...

QuoteAXE BASICS
The bite of your axe isn’t limited to the reach of your arm.
Prerequisites: Edged forte
Benefit: When you wield an axe it gains hurl and you gain a stance.
Punish the Defiant (Stance): Opponents who haven’t moved since your Initiative Count last round are denied their Dexterity bonus to Defense against your melee attacks.

AXE MASTERY
First the shield, then the squishy thing behind it!
Prerequisites: Axe Basics
Benefit: When you wield a 1-handed axe it gains bleed and when you wield a 2-handed axe its gains guard +2. Also, you gain a trick.
Sundering Chop (Axe Attack Trick): Your attack also inflicts the same damage on 1 piece of gear on the target’s person (your choice).

AXE SUPREMACY
Mortal man or mighty oak — your sweeping blade cuts them all down with ease.
Prerequisites: Axe Mastery
Benefit: Your Strength score rises by 1 and you gain a trick.
Cleave in Twain (Axe Attack Trick): If your target is a standard character with a lower Strength score than yours, he immediately fails his Damage save (damage isn’t rolled). You may use this trick once per round.

A Soldier (FC's equivalent of fighter) could take all the feats in that chain by level 3, which is a pretty good time to be ignoring enemies attempts to dodge and potentially auto-killing standard characters (mooks, minion, rank and file, etc) with a hit! Most of the chains are like that: a combination of weapon-specific effects and general boosts (the Strength buff and the Stance, which can be used with any weapon because it doesn't specify axes).

There's a preview available here, and a list of iconic pre-gen characters here, so you can see how the races, specialties, classes and feats let you synergise or diversify a character.

Sorry for the interruption.  :-)

Vorian

I'll have to dig into the classes, but I'll most likely want to play a Wizard, Sorcerer, Druid, or Mutagen-based Alchemist depending on what the group needs. I do tend to like shapeshifters, are there any other classes I should look at for that?

Quote from: Dirigible on October 12, 2013, 02:53:45 PM
Just to butt in, but anyone with concerns like this might be interested in checking out Fantasy Craft. It's got a d20 skeleton, but it's been rebuilt from the ground up to be more flexible and coherent. And fighter-types are lavished with love, to the point where the Mage class, the only spellcaster in the core rules, is one of the more boring (Priests are okay, but that's because they're no longer primary casters, and get a ton of abilities plus domain-themed spells). There are Feats that do pretty much everything you'd expect in a d20-derived game, plus feat chains for each class of weapon (Axes, Flails, Fencing Blades, Greatswords, etc), and you can spend excess weapon Proficiencies to learn unique Tricks, which are like mini-feats you can apply to attacks to give you more options. For example, here's the Axe feat chain...

Sounds interesting, I'll look into it.
Ideas

Ghostwheel

I personally prefer Legend (it's free!) as my next-gen gaming system since it lowers the need for optimization, has really cool abilities, and seems to be very balanced overall. Plus I like how it handles undead characters, construct characters, and the like.