Color me confused:: Bumps?

Started by Mnemosyne, January 10, 2017, 11:20:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mnemosyne

QuoteModifications that will not be considered bumps:
Posting that a certain roleplay idea has been added. Please be sure to list the changes in the bumping post.
Answering questions in your thread.

Please limit yourself to one substantive bump per week.

So... there is this bit here. That is one of the things that confuses me the most... What exactly is considered a 'substantive bump?' If these are not considered bumps..?

In addition to this... I wondered if removing reserves off of old roleplay requests would count as new roleplays being added..? Since they were not available for others to play before, but now they are..?
I like my posts like I like my cock.
Thick, lengthy, and something I can choke up on.
Cravings//Apologies&Absences//O&O
I've been Insulted... Disrespected... I've been
Mistreated

Lilias

'Added X,Y and Z ideas.'
'Idea Q is now taken, thanks for your interest.'
'Idea P is available again.'

And so on, to draw attention back to the top post, where the actual ideas are.

'Added stuff', 'Shifted stuff', 'More plots added' and 'Bump!' are examples of non-substantive bumps that can earn you a nudge.

Hope that helps. :-)
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Gypsy

Quote from: Lilias on January 10, 2017, 12:50:02 PM

And so on, to draw attention back to the top post, where the actual ideas are.

Wouldn't this example be non-substantive, as it bumps something back to the top just to tell people it's not available anymore? 

I don't mean to be difficult -- just want to make sure I understand.
<a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=286451.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=244545.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=279617.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=245953.0"></a>     

🌹🔥🌹   on 'no writing' hiatus    🌹🔥🌹    not available    🌹🔥🌹    formerly 'Briar Rose' & 'GypsyRose'    🌹🔥🌹

Lilias

Quote from: GypsyRose on January 10, 2017, 01:18:59 PM
Wouldn't this example be non-substantive, as it bumps something back to the top just to tell people it's not available anymore? 

I don't mean to be difficult -- just want to make sure I understand.

Strictly speaking, any subsequent post without actual content (i.e. new ideas) is a bump, because it is there only to kick the thread to the top of the page. A substantive bump is one that tells the reader what has changed in the main post, as opposed to one that tells vaguely that 'stuff has changed'. For better or worse, the last post, the one with the orange button, is what the casual board browser will see first. There's nothing stopping anyone from putting actual content in subsequent posts, instead of amassing everything at the top; it's just not very effective as showcase.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Mnemosyne

So this particular bit would apply to the reserved games I more recently opened back up due to partners disappearing? I want to be sure before I post anything... granted, as I looked at it it's almost a month from the last update I made anyways... only seven more days until it's officially a month? So it probably doesn't matter either way... but I figured since I noticed the new update before I made the update post I ought to make sure I understood everything anyways?

Thank you for any and all help. <3
I like my posts like I like my cock.
Thick, lengthy, and something I can choke up on.
Cravings//Apologies&Absences//O&O
I've been Insulted... Disrespected... I've been
Mistreated

Lilias

Quote from: Mnemosyne on January 10, 2017, 01:30:33 PM
So this particular bit would apply to the reserved games I more recently opened back up due to partners disappearing? I want to be sure before I post anything... granted, as I looked at it it's almost a month from the last update I made anyways... only seven more days until it's officially a month? So it probably doesn't matter either way... but I figured since I noticed the new update before I made the update post I ought to make sure I understood everything anyways?

Thank you for any and all help. <3

Yes. :-) A lot of people around here like using strikethrough over taken ideas, so, if they end up wanting to open them again, all it takes is removing the tags, not rewriting the whole thing.
~Wendell Berry

mia h

Quote from: Lilias on January 10, 2017, 12:50:02 PM
'Added X,Y and Z ideas.'
See now I'd have said that 'Idea Q taken' isn't really substantive (OK, I guess actionable might be a description). A 'closed' bump is saying "please, don't read this thread" an 'idea taken' bump is saying "please, don't read this bit of my thread" they are both negative instructions that can be handled without making a big deal about it.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

RedPhoenix

Yeah we have a whole thread about how bumping to say something isn't available is against the spirit of all this when the op could just be edited or the title changed and bumping to take up space to say you aren't available/interested anymore is sort of counterproductive. Did the staff consider any of that in making this rule?
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

Vekseid

Locking a story is just a smaller variation of locking a thread. GypsyRose and mia have the right of it I think.

Maybe rather than substantive we can switch the term to 'new content' or some similar phrase?

Lexandria

Quote from: RedPhoenix on January 10, 2017, 02:00:37 PM
Yeah we have a whole thread about how bumping to say something isn't available is against the spirit of all this when the op could just be edited or the title changed and bumping to take up space to say you aren't available/interested anymore is sort of counterproductive. Did the staff consider any of that in making this rule?

When closing a request thread, please do so by editing the title of the first post. Making a new post to close a thread brings your post to the top of the forum just to say that it is no longer active, and pushes down threads that are still actively seeking partners.

This line is under the list of unsubstansive bumps to address just that issue :)

[Edit to add] we took the conversation and opinions in that thread very seriously and appreciated all the input.

Verasaille

Quote from: Lilias on January 10, 2017, 01:28:17 PM
Strictly speaking, any subsequent post without actual content (i.e. new ideas) is a bump, because it is there only to kick the thread to the top of the page. A substantive bump is one that tells the reader what has changed in the main post, as opposed to one that tells vaguely that 'stuff has changed'. For better or worse, the last post, the one with the orange button, is what the casual board browser will see first. There's nothing stopping anyone from putting actual content in subsequent posts, instead of amassing everything at the top; it's just not very effective as showcase.

So according to this, people discussing a rp in a request thread would be considered a non-substantial bump?
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

Blythe

Quote from: Verasaille on January 14, 2017, 11:03:09 PM
So according to this, people discussing a rp in a request thread would be considered a non-substantial bump?

Staff's currently still in discussion regarding discussion & chatter in request threads and what that's to be construed as; a final ruling on this has not yet been reached.