Traveller

Started by bigwad73, June 14, 2014, 11:16:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigwad73

I'm looking for three to five people who would be interested in playing an adventure using some basic Traveller rules being developed by a German firm named 13Mann.  The rules are in English, and are under playtest, but the general idea is there.

You don't need to know Traveller to play, obviously--these are introductory rules!  But if you do play, you're welcome to come along, too!

I'm looking to build a ship crew, plus an infiltrator, a gun-fu type, and a face, perhaps in a Scoutship, serving as for-hire troubleshooters.  I could put perhaps one NPC up to serve as an engineer or gunner for the ship, but I'd like to limit it to just that.

Here's the link to the description:
http://www.13mann.com/index.php/en/traveller-starter-set

And here's the link to the rules under playtest:
http://www.13mann.com/index.php/en/traveller-starter-set/downloads

We're be posting in the non-adult section, so there won't be any kind of in depth sexual content, though there will be combat and perhaps some romance (if players want it).

Feel free to ask questions and respond here!

Thanks!

Oh, and besides the character template options in the rules, I've also found a Naval career template and an Upper Class career template that are available on the discussion boards on the 13Mann site.
Bad puns!  Horrible jokes!  Odd SF and Fantasy references!  Mastery of useless information!  Expert in old TV shows and movies!  And yes, I'm "mature"!    Ons and Offs   And more    Interests   NEW As and As as of 5/12/16. Look here!!!!

bigwad73

Mongoose just released a new version of Traveller (sort of an update, really, pretty much the same ruleset.) 

If you are interested in either a one on one or small group (3-4 people) adventure, respond here!  For now, let's assume it's non-adult, and set in the Spinward Marches well prior to the Fifth Frontier War (if either of those mean anything to you, you get bonus karma points!).
Bad puns!  Horrible jokes!  Odd SF and Fantasy references!  Mastery of useless information!  Expert in old TV shows and movies!  And yes, I'm "mature"!    Ons and Offs   And more    Interests   NEW As and As as of 5/12/16. Look here!!!!

Rook Seidhr

Severe Traveller grognard here. Are we talking about a free trader campaign, or what?

bigwad73

Quote from: Riveda on March 29, 2016, 12:07:53 AM
Severe Traveller grognard here. Are we talking about a free trader campaign, or what?

You're the first responder!  I'm not sure!  If it's just you, maybe so, and you could generate a couple of characters (a ship captain and the first officer?) and then get to travelling and trading.

Rook Seidhr

If it's just me, a retired scout with a Type S ship might be a better fit—or a dilettante with a yacht.

bigwad73

Quote from: Riveda on March 29, 2016, 12:15:42 AM
If it's just me, a retired scout with a Type S ship might be a better fit—or a dilettante with a yacht.

Those are good choices too.  Maybe a noble (and a traveling troubleshooter for a subsector duke)?

You had seen Mongoose's new release, right?  It's here:  http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/171643/Traveller-Core-Rulebook?src=slider_view

Rook Seidhr

Or a remittance man who somehow always stumbles upon Dark Doings everywhere he goes…

bigwad73

Ah, the fate of a third son, or a bastard child.  He might need a good valet, a la Alfred or Jarvis.

Rook Seidhr

Quote from: bigwad73 on March 29, 2016, 12:28:01 AM
Ah, the fate of a third son, or a bastard child.  He might need a good valet, a la Alfred or Jarvis.
Indeed.

Rook Seidhr

Rolled my character's stats.

Yowza.

BertieWooster: repeat 6 2d6 → 3; 12; 12; 3; 10; 6(1 +2);(6 +6);(6 +6);(2 +1);(4 +6);(3 +3)

EDIT: completely rolled-up character is here; all dice were rolled using rolz.org and are logged here.

wander

Keeping an eye on this, I don't own the new Mongoose Traveller, but I love the first edition of Mongoose Trav (and have a whole load of the supplement books) and would love to roll some bones again with the game.

bigwad73

Riveda:  Why don't you roll up a bodyguard for your noble?  Maybe a soldier, marine, or law enforcer with a couple of terms in?

Wander:  PM-ing you.

Ramblin Man

Can I ask about this? What it is and if you're still looking? Is it a system game? I've never done anything like that before though...

bigwad73

Traveller is a science fiction role-playing game (tabletop). Feel free to Google it.  😀

Everyone would play a character and either be in several single player games, or one big game.  The setting would be at the edge of a large empire that is fairly benevolent, at least compared to the Empire in Star Wars.

It's got an interesting character development system--you roll for his or her background, including the job history and any special events in their past.

If you are interested, I can work with you to build a character or two.

Voidknight

Massive traveller fan, have a bunch of first ed books but more recent poverty just means I have the first edition of mongoose and the High Guard book. Would love to play in a game in general, but have no strong thoughts on a character just yet!

bigwad73

Okay!  Interest is picking up!  Only really have one character so far, a noble.  Everything is still open.

Voidknight

Perhaps a pureblood solomani pilot uninterested with the party agenda? What era are you thinking?

bigwad73

1105ish, Spinward Marches.  Would a Sword Worlder be an acceptable substitute?

Voidknight

Sure, I'm not overly attached to the concept! Thinking it might be interesting to actually play Zhodani now I think on it, very alien mindset with the whole lying and control is okay thing.

bigwad73

*hopes you don't notice the imperial security bureau agents following you around*

*readies the liquid hydrogen boarding implements*

Voidknight

*Doesn't understand why they're hiding. Offers to disclose their current plans and motivations*

Rook Seidhr

Quote from: bigwad73 on March 30, 2016, 09:58:07 AM
Riveda:  Why don't you roll up a bodyguard for your noble?  Maybe a soldier, marine, or law enforcer with a couple of terms in?

Meet Hal Gordon, ex-law enforcer, ex-colonist. I figure when he lost an eye in the line of duty, even though they paid to grow him a new one, he decided to do something less hazardous like colonizing an undeveloped world; after a couple of terms of that, though, he got footloose and signed on with Lord Nigel's traveling madhouse retinue. His Ally is Lord Nigel's Rival, so maybe he's spying on Lord Nigel secretly…

Voidknight

I have to confess at this point, turns out I lack the rules books for making a Zhodani, wanting me to rethink the concept or...?
Also as a curiosity, how will generation go, you'll have to bear with me here, despite having been a member for too long, not actually made a character here before!

AnnieSatin

I would be interested in working with someone to make a character for the game as well. I've never played traveler but I've done table tops before in general.

bigwad73

I'm a bit busy tomorrow, but I will work with everyone interested to make a character.

bigwad73

Riveda:  I like the bodyguard.  If we get enough people, mind if I just play him as an NPC?

Voidknight:  The edition I'm using really only has humans, Vargr, and Aslan.  Whie there aren't Zhodani characters yet, a human could be a Sword Worlder also, if you just want to play someone outside the mainstream.  I'm sending you a pm again, take a look at it and let me know what you think?

Wander:  I'm also sending you a PM.  If you are still interested, take a look at it, and then let me know your preference?

Ramblin Man:  A PM is also headed your way.  Same as the others, if you like what you see, get back with me?

AnnieSatin:  PM to you, also.  Let me know your thoughts about it?

Rook Seidhr

Quote from: bigwad73 on April 03, 2016, 11:26:55 AM
Riveda:  I like the bodyguard.  If we get enough people, mind if I just play him as an NPC?

Fine by me! I tried to make him a fun character.

bigwad73

Update:  Ramblin Man, I can't send you a PM until you get approved.  PM me when that happens.

For everyone, if you are unfamiliar with Traveller, take a look at the two characters Riveda posted.  Those are good examples of how Traveller characters look.  They have statistics (strength, dexterity, endurance, intelligence, education, and social standing), and skills from their life prior to adventuring, plus some items they might either pick up along the way, or buy with the retirement/mustering out money they get.  There might be rivals or acquaintances that they pick up through their career, too.

bigwad73

Eneri Shuuligam, Human Male

STR 8  DEX 5  END 9  INT 10  EDU 8  SOC  4

Background Skills:  Electronics-0, Streetwise-0, Vacc Suit-0

Chose Navy, Qualified (E0),
Term 1:  Basic Training Skills Pilot-0, Vacc Suit-0, Athletics-0, Gunner-0, Mechanic-0, Gun Combat-0, Choose Flight, Survived, Event-Advanced Training, failed ED Roll, Gained Commission (O1), picked up Melee (Blades)-1, Skill rolled Flyer-1

Term 2:  Flight, Survived, Event, Engagement, Pilot-1, Advanced Rank (O2) picked up Leadership-1, Skills rolled Pilot+1, Navigation-1

Leaves Navy, musters out, Cr30000, +1 Edu

Final Version
859A94
Two Terms, Naval Flight (O2)

Athletics-0  Electronics-0  Gun Combat (Slug)-0  Flyer-1  Gunner-0  Leadership-1  Mechanic-0  Melee (Blades)-1  Navigation-1  Pilot-2  Streetwise-0  Vacc Suit-0

Cr30000

bigwad73

By the way, here's a blurb about the setting (it comes from the description of the sector in the sourcebook:

The Spinward Marches lie on the edge of Imperial space, and area that borders rival interstellar governments that directly oppose any further expansion. Far from the major centres of power the local rulers have more practical power than the Emperor himself. It is here that bands of daring individuals can take advantage of the hostile factions in order to carve out a fortune for themselves. The Spinward Marches offer untold asventure for those willing to seek it out.

You'll be starting at Regina, one of the main worlds in the Sector.

Voidknight

And if I might share the back of the original box, which I feel is an excellent peice of tonal setting...
"This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Mayday, Mayday...We are under attack...
Main drive is gone...Turret number one not responding...
Mayday...Losing cabin pressure fast calling anyone...
Please help...This is Free Trader Beowulf...

...mayday..."

Rook Seidhr

Which made a cameo in The Magician King by Lev Grossman. I was absurdly pleased to have caught the reference.

bigwad73

Not all Traveller adventures are about imperiled free traders...

Rook Seidhr

yeah, this one is apparently going to be about a perfectly safe space yacht :D

Voidknight

Perfectly safe might be pushing it if my rolls during generation don't start improving a whole bunch!

wander

Okay, gonna spend tomorrow working on a character. :)

I thought it was acceptable to be Solomani in 1105, there was certainly a supplement for them in the 1st edition which used the same timeline...

Anyway, just playing devil's advocate with that... If I had to pick a race, I'd ideally love to play a Darrian, though I'll wait and see if that's acceptable and I may not even go down that road.

I know skillwise I'd like some ship stuff, like Astrogation and Pilot, but ideally I'd also want more Gunner, Gun Combat and Stealth. So if my rolls are bad, I'd likely go towards Scavenger, but really I think Navy and Pirate would be good for me, though I do love the Scouts and they have some great skills for my character's basic training. Plus I love the Scouts for their exploration and system survey missions, which is the kind of Traveller game I love the most, seeing new systems and exploring new worlds.

...and shooting stuff. ;)

Voidknight

So I started to make a character. Started off with rolling 2s for 2 of my stats. Got into university and flunked out, failed to join my career of choice, then got drafted into my career of choice, suffered a mishap in my first year and got kicked back out!

wander

Unless you're dead you can go for more terms.  :D

I rolled up average stats myself, haven't yet started the terms, likely will later this evening. Very likely gonna try and get my guy into the Scouts after a possible term in Uni, need to decide on that.

Rook Seidhr

Unfortunately for that character, the Mongoose system gives no opportunities for outright death in chargen...

bigwad73

Okay, so...

If you are still interested, post here with the kind of character you are planning to play, and the role you think your character might play in a group of travellers--i.e. Imperial Human ex-scout (pilot), or Aslan ex-army (gun combatant).  I want to get a census of who we have.

wander

Human scout/navy (Bridge/Gunner)

If Darrians are allowed, I have the supplement for them and wouldn't mind playing one.

Voidknight

If you go gunner, I'd think perhaps I'd go for pilot myself. I'd possibly gen a standard one and fluff it as a Zhodani if permitted, failing that Sword Worlder as suggested would be fine for me! Though I promise not to hate on the Darrians too hard!

wander

Lol, sounds good to me. :)

Depends where the dice fall, of course... Though I would like to more astrogate than pilot, so suits me. :)

Voidknight

Okay so scrunching up the previous I've ended up with someone that failed to join the scouts and got drafted into being a cop. Plenty of Streetwise, little bit of gunplay, had an exemplary three terms filled with advancement with the only event being "You do really well!"before finally having to do an undercover op with no deception and washing out!

wander

Still need to roll for my character, being really slow about it...  :-[

Soon, soon I'll continue from the stats I rolled up for them.

bigwad73

I've had some events crop up that have put my plan for this on a slow track, but I'm still interested and working on it!

Rook Seidhr

This still on the map?

bigwad73

Hey there.  It's gone by the wayside for now.  I'll try to get back to it soon, but probably not this summer.

Rook Seidhr