Marauder's Era Harry Potter : Dark Times Rising Recruitment (Need Canons)

Started by SweetSerenade, May 24, 2013, 01:21:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rogue

Quote from: Ember Star on June 25, 2013, 12:53:28 AM
yeah, vine jumped out at me the most too. I'll consider changing it. Just need to think on it.

And yes, I know it does. There very little I don't know about the HP world. Been involved with it since I was 8, grew up with it, lived for the next book and/or movie coming out. Read all the books and seen all the movies multiple times. Been obsessed with research online. RPd it. Written it. Dreamed it. Harry Potter is my fandom. As much as I love Star Trek, Dr Who, Lord of the Rings, and Star Wars. I never lived and breathed them as much as HP. If it weren't for my bad memory, I'd be a damn Potterverse encyclopedia by now. LOL.

*laughs* Pretty much... well sans the movies. I got irritated a bit after the third one.... mostly because I'd always been a Harry/Hermione freak (Thus why my fannon and cannon get so... screwy at times....) >.>

*coughs* Anyways, embarrassed fangirl off to do research....

Rogue

Ember Star

Quote from: Rogue of TimeyWimey Stuff on June 25, 2013, 01:06:04 AM
*laughs* Pretty much... well sans the movies. I got irritated a bit after the third one.... mostly because I'd always been a Harry/Hermione freak (Thus why my fannon and cannon get so... screwy at times....) >.>

*coughs* Anyways, embarrassed fangirl off to do research....
"irritated after the third one?", I probably have you beat. After the third movie, I was raging and bitching about the movies to whoever was there. Even my other Potterhead friends were like "STFU already! It's a movie, what do you expect?" And whenever I hear somebody has watched the movies and not read the books, I'm like; "WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU!?"
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

SweetSerenade

I'm tossed up between Oak or Rowan or Yew - with Pookah Tail hair.

Bakemono Shiki RP(Lovely Siggy Layout is thanks to Amaris)

Rogue

*Laughs* Irritated may be an understatement... I didn't mind the first two. I preferred the architecture, not to mention the fact they wore their uniforms... *grumbles in irritation* Better director and Dumbledore. Hated the second Dumbledore. I was miffed they cut one of my favorite scenes (Though that may have been due to CG budgets) but other than that the first two weren't bad.

Ember Star

Quote from: SweetSerenade on June 25, 2013, 01:14:35 AM
I'm tossed up between Oak or Rowan or Yew - with Pookah Tail hair.
I've decided to switch to vine. I've got a nice designed for it and everything.

Pookah tail? That wasn't listed where I looked for cores. Where are you looking at?
Quote from: Rogue of TimeyWimey Stuff on June 25, 2013, 01:16:11 AM
*Laughs* Irritated may be an understatement... I didn't mind the first two. I preferred the architecture, not to mention the fact they wore their uniforms... *grumbles in irritation* Better director and Dumbledore. Hated the second Dumbledore. I was miffed they cut one of my favorite scenes (Though that may have been due to CG budgets) but other than that the first two weren't bad.
Oh I could go on in great details about everything that was wrong with the second Dumberdor. But yeah, the first two movies were pretty good.
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

SweetSerenade

Quote from: Ember Star on June 25, 2013, 01:22:11 AM
I've decided to switch to vine. I've got a nice designed for it and everything.

Pookah tail? That wasn't listed where I looked for cores. Where are you looking at?  Oh I could go on in great details about everything that was wrong with the second Dumberdor. But yeah, the first two movies were pretty good.

Actually it's a wand core I created through decisive reasoning. Cerridwen's Wand is not brand new, when she gets it from Ollivanders it's been sitting there for a long time. I did research on Pookahs extensively for their sometimes terrifying and trickster like natures... but their unwavering loyalty if you show them proper respect... It's fitting... more fitting than other wand cores.

Ember Star

Quote from: SweetSerenade on June 25, 2013, 01:27:36 AM
Actually it's a wand core I created through decisive reasoning. Cerridwen's Wand is not brand new, when she gets it from Ollivanders it's been sitting there for a long time. I did research on Pookahs extensively for their sometimes terrifying and trickster like natures... but their unwavering loyalty if you show them proper respect... It's fitting... more fitting than other wand cores.
Oh. Awesome!

oh, this leads me to another question, would you allow a Phoenix feather core for Amira? I'm fine with unicorn hair if not. I know how rare Phoenix core wands are suppose to be. But I thought I'd ask.

SweetSerenade

Because I don't believe they are as rare as stated, at least not in making. I believe they are rare in choosing

And Amira seems like a character who has risen through the ashes of her adversity and loss... definitely a candidate for phoenix

Ember Star

Quote from: SweetSerenade on June 25, 2013, 01:35:18 AM
Because I don't believe they are as rare as stated, at least not in making. I believe they are rare in choosing

And Amira seems like a character who has risen through the ashes of her adversity and loss... definitely a candidate for phoenix
Ooooh thank you, thank you, thank you!! This makes me very, very happy.

I know, that's why I've always preferred it for her. But some people are odd about it. They'll allow a dozen different none cannon cores that make no sense. But you can't have a Phoenix feather!?

SweetSerenade

Apparently your wand tells a lot about you. My wand, according to Pottermore is Cypress and Phoenix, strange right?

I believe that production and choosing are separate things. You can make several wands, the rarity is in their CHOOSING.

RainbowRian

Ember Star

Quote from: SweetSerenade on June 25, 2013, 01:49:05 AM
Apparently your wand tells a lot about you. My wand, according to Pottermore is Cypress and Phoenix, strange right?

I believe that production and choosing are separate things. You can make several wands, the rarity is in their CHOOSING.
I can actually see that combination working well for you.

Yes. The wand does tell a lot about you. The wand is in a sense, a extension of you. Like an extra limb. In order to work properly, it has to be in tune with you.

I wrote a paper on wandlore once. It's sadly lomg lost now.

that has always been my thoughts exactly. The choosing is rare, not the making.

SweetSerenade

Quote from: RainbowRian on June 25, 2013, 01:51:56 AM
Any positions still open?

Check first page for Canons still available, though if you want to select one from the history of Marauders Era, you are more than welcome too.

OCs are only being discussed since the profile format hasn't been created. So far it looks like we have three female OCs... leaving all of the 7th and 6th year (One of each year for each house) males all available for tentative claim... and Only 6th year Gryffindor female/6th 7th Hufflepuff Female/6th 7th Slytherin Females available for tentative claiming.

I must warn people, my character profiles ask for some massive details, I'm going to have some highly specialized sections to the profile that will help people understand your character. Don't worry, I will not support metagaming, but I feel the profiles will help people appreciate and like the Ocs as much as the Canons.

Ember Star

I should join Pottermore, I never did. Got irritated because I missed the beta sign up and it took them longer than predicted to get it open publicly.

RainbowRian

Well I have a short Idea for a male and a rather extensive female.  I created her for another game that flopped, but ~Shrugs~  Do I PM them or post here.

SweetSerenade

You can post basic details, or PM basic details to me. But please understand that till the OC profile format is done being made (when my baby decides my stomach deserves food) that I will not actually truly accept an OC character.

Rogue

If you could, school OC's please be CC'd to me? I'd like to know what I'm working with as Co-gm.

Ember Star

Quote from: Rogue of TimeyWimey Stuff on June 25, 2013, 02:18:28 AM
If you could, school OC's please be CC'd to me? I'd like to know what I'm working with as Co-gm.
need me to send you what I sent sweet on Amira?

Rogue

AutoTune

Quote from: Ember Star on June 24, 2013, 08:30:31 AM
you'd really would only have to reread the one chapter in the one book to get the information you seek. (I'm assuming you've already read the books once)

Sorry, but I've only started reading snippets of books six and seven, recently. :-3
What information I've gathered are from the movies 1 through 3, and the stuff I read on the Wiki.

But thanks for the advice everyone. I'll see what I can do.

Rogue

Quote from: minerva7790 on June 24, 2013, 11:59:53 PM
Alright, I was lazy just now, but I've dug out my copy of Deathly Hallows. Chapter 33, The Prince's Tale. Page 543 of the UK edition, Snape comes to Dumbledore with a 'request' to hide the Potters. Dumbledore's tone of words suggest that Snape has not been working with the Order before this. Snape promises to give Dumbledore 'anything' in return. The scene after this is between Dumbledore and Snape discussing the failure to keep Lily safe, but the need to keep Harry alive for her sake.

Interestingly, in the scene before, when Snape apologises for calling Lily a Mudblood (this was in their 5th year, after their Defence Against the Dark Arts OWLs), Lily uses the term 'your precious little Death Eater friends', and says "You don't even deny that's what you're all aiming to be! You can't wait to join You-Know-Who, can you?" The line after that is 'He [Snape] opened his mouth, but closed it without speaking.', implying that Lily was right. So sometime in the 5th year, Snape already had some plans of joining the Death Eaters?

Auto, I'm re-posting this for your benefit. This is the cannon concepts. You can always adjust within reason.

AutoTune

Quote from: Rogue of TimeyWimey Stuff on June 25, 2013, 03:19:16 AM
Auto, I'm re-posting this for your benefit. This is the cannon concepts. You can always adjust within reason.

Eureka! Thank you Rogue and Minerva, this is definitely something solid I can work with. I appreciate the effort made to help.

Here's what I could come up with.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
The train rattled unevenly against the tracks, the sensation of movement making the air feel thin and chilly. The smudged landscape outside blurred by as the locomotive shoved onward, the noise of the train blaring out the animated babble of the others on board. Severus jolted awake, having been unaware he had been dozing next to the window, the side of his forehead pressed against the glass with the vibration of the train buzzing through his skull. The distant fading memory of acrid tasting soap bubbles in his mouth was rapidly diminishing in his groggy mind as he was roused from his dreams, acutely aware of the others with him. He let his gaze lock onto a single drop of rain as it slid down from the top of the glass, and down to disappear into the metal on the opposite side of the window.

Bones and muscles aching from sitting in the position for a long time, Severus drew up into a proper posture, leaning away from the window and running his hand through his dry scalp. Severus' black hair felt grimy, and the others who were sharing his vicinity of the train had long ago scooched as far away as possible without being obvious, as if (and most likely because) he had the faint aroma of a musky old rug.

Severus shifted uncomfortably, folding his hands down in his lap and staring at them with irritation, as if it was their fault that he had to sit in the company of others. This was his last year to Hogwarts, and inwardly, Severus was torn between both a sense of triumph and a sense of loss, at both having to abandon his wretched memories the school brought, and to leave where he had grown up most his life, in that respective order. It was just both terrible, and wonderful. A scowl was stuck on his face, and the muscles that contorted his face in the expression were rapidly growing sore.

Letting a curtain of hair fall over his line of sight, Severus gazed contemplatively at his hands, fiddling around with the hem of his old, hand-me-down cloak. He needed to clean his fingernails again, if only he could get his hands on a quill... a faint glimpse of the black mark could be seen, inching toward his wrist on his left arm. Self consciously, Severus tugged his sleeve further down, but couldn't help but privately feel a satisfying thrill of pride surge up through his chest.

Severus' gaze was drawn up by the slowing of the train, swinging his line of balance some several meters back; the students near by stood and ushered out, following others toward the exit of the train. Severus stood, dragging his suitcase out as he followed some other seventh year Slytherins. "Watch where you're going," He muttered sourly as several someones decided that all four of them could fit out the train exit. Honestly, the lack of brain capacity in some people was just absurd.

So, if Snape had been planning to go with the Death Eaters in the 5th year, and had not decided to leave them until very soon before Lily and James died, do you think it would be appropriate (for the story) that Severus is more on the evil side in this roleplay? I'm not sure how his relationship with Lily would be like, but maybe her choosing James over him drives his interest in the Death Eaters.

And please excuse me if I've been short on conversation, I'm just a bit busy is all. (:
I hope I meet the standards to be taken seriously. "for your benefit" bothers me for some reason. I know what I'm doing, I just choose not to fangirl over it.

minerva7790

Quote from: AutoTune on June 25, 2013, 03:26:16 AM
Eureka! Thank you Rogue and Minerva, this is definitely something solid I can work with. I appreciate the effort made to help.

No worries. I just happened to have the time on hand and a book not too far away. :) I ought to be ashamed of myself for not remembering this stuff...

I like what you've written so far, though it's probably not for me to say... You've brought out Snape's loneliness quite nicely.

I asked a question earlier that got lost, but I'd still like either GM's take on: would it be okay to have a character of Asian (say, Japanese) ethnicity, provided she was born as a British citizen?
'But I will wear my heart upon my sleeve
For daws to peck at: I am not what I am.'

Ons and Offs ~ Absences and Apologies

Ember Star

my character I gave them is American born, and neither said anything against it. So I think it'll be okay. After all, people do move around.