Acquisitions Incorporated [D&D 3.5 Homebrew]

Started by Cythieus, October 22, 2009, 07:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhantomPistoleer

Yeah right!  Those stats are freaking godly.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Brandon

Quote from: Odin on October 22, 2009, 10:45:50 PM
Actually, yes they did. Break out your book, but certain races have a minimum requirement for that race. Also, some people took rolls in the order they came at character creation.

And this is for the classes:  fighter = str 9 min, Paladin = str 12 min con 9 min wis 9 min and char 17 min

Races had them too.

Also we're going to be rolling dice in combat, its no different, it could be really kind to someone and be really bad on others.

I misunderstood you then. Minimum character abilities are quite different from saying you roll for a class/race. To me rolling for a class race says you take 1d100 or any other setup and a result of say 20 would mean you were a human.

I would still like to see the changed rules list though, unless Ive missed them

Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Katina Tarask

Quote from: Odin on October 22, 2009, 10:45:50 PMAlso we're going to be rolling dice in combat, its no different, it could be really kind to someone and be really bad on others.
However, there is a big, huge, neon difference.  If you make an attack roll and fail, you miss that attack.  If you survive, you can make another attack.

If you roll for stats and get straight tens, you pretty much suck forever. It's like a save-or-die before you even have saves.

With the attack rolls, your character performs poorly.  With rolling for stats, you could well be disallowed from playing your character.  It can cordon off being any good at wide ranges of characters, or give you the choice between being any good at anything, or playing the class you want for the character you want, which is an extremely bad thing, because it makes playing the game and roleplaying enemies of one another.

Rolling for stats may be a tradition, but it's also a very bad rule.  Which is why it's not the default anymore for 3.5/4e.  If someone chooses to roll for stats, that's their business, but it ought to be because they chose to give up that level of control over their character.

And note, I am aware of the array and the point buy in place.  I'm just discussing the drawbacks of requiring stat rolls.

Cythieus

Most of the time there were alternative types of rolling, some of them allowed you to roll a lot of times to get the stats. In fact I rolled to get your point buy numbers. The 45 points came from the points the rolls I posted would cost.

I wouldn't make someone take any damning rolls, in fact I think its really shitty to have to take 8's and 9's as stats (although this often happened in previous editions and still does today) Online point buy is standard a lot because of the honor system not being so there. Can't cheat at point buys and arrays.

Cythieus

One of the important things I forgot to say among rules is that encumbrance will be lessened, that is to say that when it comes down to most things it won't be looked at so hard. But at the same time, you can't carry too much, I think you know what I mean. If you're carrying a water clock or something its safe to say there might be an issue with it.

Also, when it comes to class features, like with the Scout, that require you to be in light armor, you still must be in light armor.

The characters will have a guild hall and some stables they can use in game (because of the guild nature of this thing).

Metagaming and Powergaming are not allowed, there is a difference between playing smart and in character, and using the system to get around. If I see it I will call you on it, it cuts down on the fun for everyone else.

Dragon Magazine Sources can be allowed with approval, that is to say I need to look over them and need something showing what you're talking about.

Food, soap, cigarettes, water and alcohol can be assumed to be had after purchased the first time. You're not going to starve to death in the game if you don't keep buying rations.

I am writing more up, there shouldn't be much though.

SinXAzgard21

Half-Elf rouge muahahaha, I love the Pathfinder Half-Elves.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Katina Tarask

Rogue?  Good.  That means I can ditch Disable Device and Open Lock for the most part.

Half-Elf Artificer, here.  I'm picking up some Craft skills, so if you want big discounts on basic gear, just ask.