New York Noir - sexy noir mystery

Started by RedEve, January 29, 2012, 09:51:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedEve

New York Noir

The idea for this game will be an old-fashioned style noir. The setting would be the mid to late 1940s, shortly after the war. Most of the action would take place in and around New York City.

The cast of characters are the usual you can expect to find in a noir: hardboiled detectives, dirty cops, mobsters, femme fatales, the seemingly out of place ingenue...

I would aim to keep this game limited to four to six players, and add a cast of NPCs according to our needs. Some smut will naturally be part of the game, but it should not be the main focus.
The idea is to weave our own little noir between the stories we tell through our characters.

As with all such tales, we need a good MacGuffin... In our case, the object of desire will be a mysterious ruby necklace each of the characters is after (each with their own unique motivation, naturally).

We will be starting the story in 1947. The 1st of March.

The city's seedy underbelly is brewing with excitement as the story of a precious ruby necklace circulates. The jewel is said to be worth well over a million dollars (adjusted for inflation, that is closer to 10 million dollars in today's money). Each hoodlum, streetwalker and gambler has his own tall tale about its origin and whom might currently possess it. None of them know the truth, or even if it exists. Our story follows a handful of individual who desperately covet the jewel, each within their own back story and motivation.

The template for the character sheet:

[float=right][img]Replace this text by the link to your character image[/img][/float]
[b]Name: [/b]
[b]Date of birth: [/b]
[b]Character archetype: [/b]
[b]Biography: [/b]

"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Reia

Sounds very interesting. I'd definitely sign up. :)
[tr][td]

Updated: 03/24/19
[/td][td]
Updated: 06/24/12
[/td][td]
Updated: 07/20/15
[/td][td]
Posted: 11/24/14
[/td][td]
Updated: 03/04/19
[/td][/tr][/table]

RedEve

Quote from: Reia on January 29, 2012, 11:40:12 AM
Sounds very interesting. I'd definitely sign up. :)

Great, I added the CS template, feel free to make a character and send it my way. :)

RedEve

Name: Kristina Krasovsky
Date of birth: February 17th 1921
Character archetype: Femme Fatale
Biography: Kristina’s parents left Russia shortly after the revolution. They arrived in NYC in 1918 and settled in Brooklyn. It was there that Kristina was born and raised. Her father got a job working at the docks, her mother combined a series of smaller jobs with her care for her three children – two girls and a boy, with Kristina as the middle child. At the age of 14, Kristina was sent out to work full time as well and provide for the family, but the jobs her mother had picked out for her never suited her well. Kristina had dreamed of a glamorous life from the moment she was old enough to go to the pictures. Even as a young teen, the notion of working her entire life at a dress maker – her first job, where she lasted only three months – or a kitchen help – her second job, five month – had disgusted her. As she bounced from job to job, her mother grew increasingly irate at her daughter’s lack of commitment until they argued almost non-stop. It lead to Kristina leaving home at the age of 17 to move in with a man nearly twice her age.

Her dreams of glamor did not come to fruition, though she did live a more relaxed life as the girlfriend of a series of deadbeats and small-time criminals. That is, until she got a job she bothered keeping, as a hostess at the 123 Club. The 123 was really a front for a criminal organization, but the pay was good and every week a handful of movie stars would pass through the place. The club and its less legal affiliates – drug dealing and prostitution – were owned by the O’Leary clan, Mick mobsters who had arrived from the old country around the same time as Kristina’s parents, only they had quickly made a fortune for themselves. Whilst working at the 123, Kristina became the paramour to Roy O’Leary, the youngest and shabbiest of the three O’Leary boys. Their father Duncan was the leader of the entire clan, their uncle Malcolm his right-hand man and the guy who was said to be the brains behind his brother’s brawn.

Roy’s two older brothers were Robbie and Andrew, and in a way they were younger versions of their father and uncle. Robbie was all brawn, picking fights here and there and having a notoriously short temper. The story goes that he once shot a man for cutting in line in front of him at the movie theater. Whether or not the story is true, the fact that it is even told tells its own tale. Andrew is more calculated and subdued, but no less dangerous. Roy is the black sheep of the family, to the point that his father has yet to assign any part of  his transition to the lad, even though he is nearly 35. By contrast, both of his brothers are being groomed to take over for Duncan and Malcolm, when the time arrives. This is an endless source of frustration to Roy, much to Kristina’s chagrin.

Featherfall

Name: Chen Long-Yu
Date of birth: September 1, 1921
Character archetype: Ambitious Triad Enforcer
Biography: Chen Long-Yu is not much for Taoist sorcery, but even he would have to admit that, as one born in the year of the Metal Rooster where the White Tiger holds sway, he couldn't possibly have been a better candidate for its authenticity. Confident, blunt, and concerned about his outward appearance; aggressive, self-reliant and ambitious to the point of near treachery; strong, rigid, and unyielding in both opinions and beliefs; and finally, he is the king of beasts in the Octagon Triad's holdings of the West.

Chen Long-Yu was not his birth name; in fact, he's not even sure that he HAD a name at birth. All he remembered was being on the streets of Hong Kong, cold, hungry, and alone. He lived in this misery, watching those who were either successful or lucky or both, Chinese and foreigners, laugh and party all day long while throwing a few scraps his way and thinking themselves charitable. The young man looked at this and vowed that one day, he would BE one of those lucky, successful people, and that he would never go hungry again.

Young, angry, ripe for picking; is it any wonder then that one of the many Triad groups found a use for such a boy? The only wonder was that it took them until he was ten to notice, and even then he had to pick the pocket of Chen Wong, the Boss of the Octagon Triad.

The normal price for picking a Triad boss' pocket was three fingers, if you were lucky. And few were considered "lucky" to be caught by the self-proclaimed "Taoist Sorcerer" Chen Wong If that was the case, then the gods themselves must have been watching out for Long-Yu, because instead of being crippled and sent on his way, Wong was feeling unusually compassionate that day, and "adopted" the boy, giving him his own family name.

Chen Long-Yu may have "officially" been in the Chen family, but it was quite clear that blood relations meant more, or at least allowed for leniency. Wong's natural children were for the most part, lazy opium addicts and spendthrifts, a luxury Long-Yu wasn't allowed. He was instead ruthlessly integrated into the world of the Triad; forced into training in Piguaquan and Bajiquan martial arts until his body scarred and his bones cracked; hours on the shooting ranges with a 1921 Luger, a sharp blow from a bamboo cane for every shot missed; forced to learn English so as to better interact with their British buyers. And the ambitious Chen Long-Yu would become quite good at anything he was asked to do; nightmares of the streets were all to real to allow failure.

Then, a telegram from New York reached Chen Wong, a telegram from perhaps his only competent child and the head of Octagon Triad's American Branch [which was as close to a banishment as Wong's heart could give to his rebellious daughter, who's own ambitions rivaled Long-Yu's], his daughter Chen Pingyi. She told him that she may have finally found the location of the object he had been searching for, the object that would give him the ultimate power over the Tao that he had sought even as he attained power over Hong Kong; the Eye of the Dragon.

Chen Long-Yu had stopped believing in magic long ago. To him, Wong's Taoist "magic" comprised of parlor tricks and the charismatic sway an old man held over opium-addicted fools, but Wong wanted it, and what the old man wanted, he sent Long-Yu to collect.

Now, in America, Long-Yu is looking for the Eye, partially to appease the old man, and partially for his own ambitions of setting up his own family, and partially to stick it to Pingyi, who has come to see him as a hated rival yet "source of forbidden desire", whatever THAT was supposed to mean. Long-Yu would get the Eye, and Heaven help any who tried to stop him.

Xunzar

The list below is mostly up to date. To be honest, you can assume there is little that is a hard no.
A list of kinks

RedEve

Great!

I'd prefer it if everyone first PM'ed his or her character to me for approval. I will let you know when you are approved so you can share the character sheet with everyone else.

Reia

Quote from: RedEve on January 29, 2012, 12:09:21 PM
Great, I added the CS template, feel free to make a character and send it my way. :)

Awesome, I'll send you one tomorrow.
[tr][td]

[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

SugarAndSpice

Name:Dorothy Wharvey
Date of birth: November 16th 1923
Character archetype:  The "Good" Girl
Biography: Dorothy is the youngest of the three daughters of Simon Wharvey, New York police commisioner, as such she has always had the best her father can afford. Her mother died when she was around five years old, her father worries that of the three girls she has suffered most because of the lack of a mother, even though there have been countless maids, nannies and tutors. Dorothy has always been the most headstrong of the three girls.

The eldest sister Gwendolyn,36, is married to a politician with three children. The middle sister Sarah , 32, is married to an investment banker with one little boy. Dorothy however has ignored all the boys and men that her father has nudged her towards.

To her father's dismay Dorothy has taken a liking to Francis "Frankie" Donovan, an arts and jewelery dealer, of rather shady repute. She met Francis when he came to the house in repsonse to rumors that her father wanted someone to come and value a collection of her mother's jewelery. Her father scoffs whenever Drothy insists that there is love in their relationship, he claims that he has just used his "mick" charm on her. This only makes Dorothy want to see and help Francis more.

[Thanks Eve :D Glad you like her]

Aiden

OHHH I like this, I would love to be a Sicilian made man, looking to set a foot hold in NYC after the events that went on over seas.

RedEve

Quote from: Aiden on January 30, 2012, 02:31:41 AM
OHHH I like this, I would love to be a Sicilian made man, looking to set a foot hold in NYC after the events that went on over seas.

I can accommodate a character like that, just make sure there is a way to tie him to the search for the ruby necklace. That will be the thing that is supposed to tie all of the characters together. :)

SugarAndSpice

Just a quick question, characters that we've mention, like Simon and Francis, do we play them too?

Aiden

Well a personal goal, perhaps locating such a treasure can help him raise to the ranks and give the bosses back home all he needs to proclaim him a Boss in the states.

Go go Ambitious characters!

I'll work up a sheet and send it for approval/review later.

Watch out with those Micks, my guy will do all he can to make them hurt =D

RedEve

Quote from: SugarAndSpice on January 30, 2012, 02:41:06 AM
Just a quick question, characters that we've mention, like Simon and Francis, do we play them too?

Each player is allowed to create several NPCs to help in establishing their own back story. So yes, you would be playing those characters.

Kendra

Hun I am so keeping my eye on this, if I don't feel bogged down by the end of the day then I might throw something up for a dirty cop character perhaps ;)

SugarAndSpice

Cool :) Also what order are we going to be posting? or are we not going to have a paticular order?

RedEve

I don't intend to have a very rigid posting order, no, just as long as we all keep more or less in the same time frame and we leave no one behind.

SugarAndSpice

Fair enough :) Looking forward to whenever it gets rolling.

Le Immortelle

Oh god, I love this.

I would love to play either 1. Female Mobster. 2. Hardboiled Detective or 3. Dirty Cop depending on what you're looking for right now since quite a few people have already joined the game lol. :)

RedEve

Kendra already expressed interest in playing a cop, but we could still use a tough PI.

Chrystal

Me too? Please say you have room for one more?

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Aiden

RedEve

Quote from: Chrystal on January 30, 2012, 01:27:59 PM
Me too? Please say you have room for one more?

Is there a particular role you are interested in?

RedEve

A more general remark: even though I want every individual to covet the ruby necklace for his or her own reasons, I don't want everyone to have a personal bond to the item. To some it should just be an easy means to a large sum of money. To others it might mean more than that, but the idea is not that every character has a prior personal connection to the ruby.

Chrystal

I'm putting you a character sheet together, but...

Amazon and I can't help but notice that there is a great similaritry between this plot and our own The Gorgeous Gumshoe.

As you already said she should be a PI, we are both thinking of reprising our characters from that story.

To that effect, Ivy Bowman would be the "Foreign agent of an allied power", looking to ensure her government's interest in the ruby were not compromised...

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Kendra

Amazon will give you first dibs on either the PI or the dirty cop, I'm good either way ;)

RedEve

QuoteAmazon and I can't help but notice that there is a great similaritry between this plot and our own The Gorgeous Gumshoe.

Oh, well I can assure you I wasn't aware of that thread prior to creating this interest topic.  ???

However, if you feel as if I have stolen your idea I can still retract this concept. No worries. :)

Kendra

There will always be similarities in Noir games as there would be in Alien games or Vampire games. There are those of us showing our interest in your game RedEve that aren't part of another noir game.
Please don't retract the game  :-\

RedEve

Well I don't want to disappoint those people who have already committed to this game, but I don't want to steal someone else's idea (and/or thunder) either.

Le Immortelle

I don't think Chrystal meant anything like that. Just that she remembered the game she had with me..and we just happened to be talking about importing our characters from there in this game if it's cool.

And one can never have enough of noir games! :D

Chrystal

Quote from: RedEve on January 30, 2012, 02:02:15 PM
Oh, well I can assure you I wasn't aware of that thread prior to creating this interest topic.  ???

However, if you feel as if I have stolen your idea I can still retract this concept. No worries. :)

NO NO!

Please do not do anything of the sort...

Did we not both jump in and say "we want to join"? As Amz puts it, you can never have too many Noir games.

I am not accusing you of stealing the idea, merely (as she points out) noticing the similarities and asking if you would mind if we used the same characters?

Kendra

Quote from: Amazon on January 30, 2012, 02:14:41 PM

And one can never have enough of noir games! :D

I third this statement  ;D

Featherfall

Kendra

Amazon - if you're bringing over your other character concept, I take it that's the private Eye you're going with then?
I'll get on creating the dirty cop bio so  :-)

Aiden

My character is coming in with the intent on targeting the Mob (Sicilian/Italian) so a heads up to anyone making connections we can possibly plot.

Chrystal

Name: Ivy Bowman
Date of birth: 24/06/1907
Character archetype: Foreign agent of a friendly power
Biography: Born Ivy Green, she married a nice Jewish boy, because it was the right thing to do, and had a daughter by him. In 1937, her husband went to Spain to fight the Nazis and was never seen again. She did not love her husband, but none the less, she vowed to avenge his death a millionfold. She was approached by and recruited into the British Secret Intelligence Service the same year, and the following year sent on a secret mission to the USA, to keep certain antiquities out of German hands.

While on this mission she met Samantha Shovel, and the two of them became lovers. When war broke out, Ivy returned to Europe, working underground for the SOE in the occupied territories. Surviving by the skin of her teeth, she returned to the USA after the war, in the official role of MI6 Advisor to US Military Intelligence, soon to be formed into the CIA. Unofficially, her job is to ensure that the USA doesn't do anything stupid, or if they do to at least make sure that Britain is appraised of the fact in advance!

On learning that a certain Chen Long-Yu is searching for the ruby, Ivy is tasked by "M" to ensure he does not get it, by any means necessary! Such a valuable antiquity in the hands of the Triads would be very much contrary to British interests in the Far East, especially with the on-going civil war in China threatening Hong-Kong, the rumblings of Communism from Malaysia threatening Singapore and the various insurgencies in French Indochina threatening Siam...

Aiden

Name: Salvatore "il martello" (The Hammer) Sandoval (Adopted name)
Date of birth: October 31, 1917
Character archetype: The Self Made Man /(Future) King
Biography:
Salvatore was a hard working mason in Sicily with a knack for keeping his mouth shut when it came to any "business". He grew up an orphan after his parents were killed in a riot (when he was a toddler) and he was left under the care of his father's boss, a capo and the man in charge of running a construction company for the Sicilian mob

Salvatore was raised to work hard and show respect to those who earned it. The man who raised him, Luigi "Papa Ferro (The Iron)" Sandoval never had a son but Salvatore fulfilled that roll. The man was well respected in the community and with young Sal at his side learning all he had to offer it was not surprising when he was sponsoring the son of a simple laborer into the family. The day Sal made the Ometra, was the day he looked into the eyes of the man who raised him, dropped to his knee and kissed his ring before swearing he would never be able to thank him enough.

The young Sicilian man was still a mason at heart, taking over Papa's business as the man aged to happy retirement. When he passed away in the mid 1940's, he grieved like a son would over the loss of his father and never expected to take over as Capo of the area, other men before him were lined up and in higher favor with the Boss. Salvatore felt betrayed but could not voice his annoyance, he knew how the family worked and was not willing to shun his father's legacy for a strike at his ego.

The Boss had kept an eye on Salvatore, even considered him a threat. He had adopted the charm of Papa Ferro, a man who could have easily taken his rank but chose to live a simple life with those he loved. When Salvatore approached him and asked for permission to move to America he happily obliged and gave his blessing. The families in the states were starting to annoy those back in the homeland, they were starting to overlook the very code all made men swore by. Salvatore would either sink or swim, sent off on his own to make his own way in the United States with the network, favors and contacts of his deceased mentor.

Amelita

Totally love this idea, and am working on a concept to send you, RedEve.

RP Etiquette ~ Tumblr ~ Mumbler
~ There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed ~
Ons & Offs ~ Post Tracker ~ Ladies in Red

Kendra

Name: Conor Flaherty
Date of birth: 20th March 1903
Character archetype: Dirty Cop
Biography:
Conor is the third generation of Irish emigrates that moved from Co. Tipperary during the time of the famine. He was born and reared in New York but still manages to have an Irish accent that blends with his thick New York one. His great-grandfather had joined the police force when he had arrived in 1845, when the New York police department was first forming.

He spent his life in the Bronx, watching rival gangs growing daily and listening as his father, uncles and grandfather (also cops) returned home with tales of the violence that was gripping New York. He always knew he would join the police force and couldn't wait, he married his child hood sweetheart, Mary Flynn and had three children. Mary was a full time house wife but took care of another child for some extra money. It was needed, a police man's salary was barely enough for a single man to live on let alone raise a family on.

With the war in Europe raging, times got harder and Conor was drafted. He survived and returned from the war with medals of valour only to find that The Bronx was not the same place he had left behind. When once those that lived there were of Irish, German, Jewish and Italian descent, there was now African Americans and Hispanic Americans moving in. He got his old job on the force back again but because of his military service moved up through the ranks far swifter than he might otherwise have done.

As times after the war were hard, it became the norm to take hand outs to let minor misdemeanors slide. Soon cops were noting how this extra income helped a great deal and while some did it to make home life a little more comfortable, others did it to get ahead in the force. Organised crime became a way of life and soon the majority of the New York Police Department were taking hand outs from various warring mafia factions.

Conor Flaherty put his oar in with one particular family run by Charlie "Lucky" Luciano. When the rumours of the million dollar necklace begin to surface, he is called in to check out how truthful these rumours are because no matter how lucrative organised crime is, anything that can be fenced for that kind of money is worth having.

Chrystal

Damn... who's the pic base, Kendra? I know him but I can't place him!

Your character and Amazon's should know each other.

SugarAndSpice

My character's Daddy is police commisioner, but not the type to take bribes.

Kendra

@ Chrystal - Karl Malden - he's been in tons of movies - brilliant actor ;)

ooh we'll hopefully not knock heads - character wise - SAS ;)
;D

SugarAndSpice

I hope so too :D I'm so excited about this

Kendra

so am I, can't remember the last noir style game I was in ... think it wasn't even here on E
::)

SugarAndSpice

Last one I was in was more of a murder case, had a character of the same name but totally different character.

Chrystal

Never been in a group noir, but I have a couple of one-on-ones going. Guess who with! *giggles*

Featherfall

First NOIR game ever; looking forward to it.

SugarAndSpice

Chrystal? lols
They're so much fun Feather

Chrystal

Seriously, Amazon and I have so many games going it's frightening. If she vanished, I'd have a lot more free time!

We've taken to adding comments like "What those two again?" to the titles of our stories!

SugarAndSpice

Hahaha I was like that with someone on another site, but it all got too samey and he seemed to take offence when i suggested we take a break from rping together.

Caeli

I was going to express interest, but it looks like you have more than enough for your 4-6 players, so I'll probably just keep an eye on the game thread once it gets started.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Amelita

Name: Andrea Mangano/Aliana Mila

Date of birth: May 1st 1920

Character archetype: The Wildcard

Biography: Andrea is daughter of Vito Mangano, Boss of the NY Mangano family. Born and raised in a cotton padded home, she remained clueless of how much different her 'family' was from others until it was literally shoved in her face at age sixteen when one of her father's rivals (Charlie "Lucky" Luciano) took her hostage as means of coercion into loosening a choke hold on the rival family's income, resulting in a small war which is not discussed in the Mangano household due to less than favorable results.

From that day, the pretty illusion her father had created around her childhood and family was replaced with the gritty reality of NYC's underbelly. There was no closing doors on it now, and having inherited her mother's fierce Italian temper and passion the girl took her place within the famiglia. Wanting to keep her relatively safe, Vito tried chaining her to a desk (not literally :P ) but she weaseled out of that by turning on the charm and taking advantage of the man's utter weakness for his youngest child and only daughter. Instead she found her way to a place where her father probably least wanted her: On stage in the 123 club, owned by a rival family.

Andrea adopted a stage name to keep from revealing her connection to Vito Mangano, Aliana Mila, but to make sure the lounge singer is not put in danger, Vito has two of his men in the club any time she's there to act as bodyguards/babysitters. This has been ongoing for the last few years, all while miss Aliana Mila earned quite a name as a performer.

She heard about the diamond from her oldest brother, Henry, and got the idea in her head to find it to buy herself freedom from the cage she feels she's in. (And oh has she tried any means to get away from those two men who are placed to keep watch on her...) By the time the story takes place, she is actively trying to get away from the family but also desperately trying to do so without losing them or hurting them. She is extremely torn between the loyalty she's raised to possess, and the freedom her nature demands.

RP Etiquette ~ Tumblr ~ Mumbler
~ There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed ~
Ons & Offs ~ Post Tracker ~ Ladies in Red

RedEve

IC and OOC threads have been created:

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=130852.0

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=130853.0

Those of you who have approved characters are free to start posting whenever they want. I will create a character thread and move the CS in there later tonight. :)

Reia

Margaret Jean Ambrose

Emma Joyce Ambrose
Name: Margaret Jean Ambrose
Date of birth: April 4, 1922
Character archetype: Thief, Seductress
Biography:

Margaret was born into a wealthy family in Liverpool, England. She was the fourth of what would be five daughters, all close in age with barely a year between each of them. Because of her family's status, she had a comfortable childhood, with a governess to watch over her and her sisters and a father willing to dote on all his girls. Unfortunately her father was killed in an untimely accident while riding his horse in 1930. Margaret was only 9.

Because there was no immediate heir to inherent the family fortune, an entail set up by Margaret's late grandfather demanded that everything go to a distant second cousin. Each girl was left with a small sum, enough to help them with any general schooling left, and their mother given an allowance of £1,500 per annum for the entire family. In 1932, after finding life in England to be very different now that they were no longer living the life of luxuries they had been accustomed to, Margaret's mother decided to move to America with the girls.

They settled in the growing neighborhood of Riverdale. Even though the country was suffering from the Depression, the girls found they were able to live a life much more like the one they'd had before their father's passing, thanks to the highly favorable rate of exchange. In 1933 when the Riverdale Girls School was opened, their mother opted to send the girls there, being more than happy to pay the high tuition so her daughters could get a good education.

Though life was good for her, Margaret found herself feeling resentful towards her mother, and subsequently her older sisters for enjoying the change, for having been moved away from her family in England. Throughout her years in school, she saved whatever penny she could, oftentimes going as far as stealing bits of money from her mother. She graduated the school at the age of 17 and refused to attend college as her older sisters had opted for. Instead she took the money she had, stole a good chunk of the family's fortune, and left home - promising her younger sister to come back for her one day. She changed her name to avoid being found and moved into the city proper.

She bought herself a small apartment in Manhattan, in a new complex that boasted state of the art amenities and even more impressive residents. By passing off as an orphaned girl straight off the boat from England, she managed to win the hearts of her neighbors. It was here that her life of crime really took off. Margaret started by stealing things from the wealthiest of her neighbors, small items that when finally noticed would be brushed aside as simply lost. Slowly she took to stealing larger and much more expensive items. Every once in a while, she would have things "stolen" from her to throw of suspicion.

At the same time, she was learning how to use her delicate youthful looks to seduce men, married and not, and having them shower her with gifts. Because of her self-proclaimed bachelor-ette status women often take a dislike to her. Over the years she has finessed her style of seduction, only going for the men she feels are truly worth it. Her latest conquest is the new husband of her dearest friend, Mary - a girl she's befriended only due to her family's considerable wealth.

Because of her acquisitions, her wealth has only grown. She bought herself an exceedingly larger apartment in an much more upscale building, with more appealing targets. Her old apartment she's kept, renting it out as a decent, secondary source of income.

Shortly after she turned 25 she ran into her youngest sister, Emma Joyce. After finding out that Emma had left home not too shortly after Margaret and was struggling to get by, she took her sister under her wing and is now teaching her everything she knows. She hopes this will make up for her long forgotten promise.

Two years ago she heard about a large Ruby necklace said to be worth more than anyone could imagine. Keen on moving up from what she considers to be petty theft, Margaret has set her eyes on the prize.

Name: Emma Joyce Ambrose
Date of birth: September 28, 1923
Character archetype: NPC
Biography:

Emma always looked up to her sister, Margaret, and was devastated when she left home. Shortly after, Emma left as well, wanting to do nothing with a mother who wailed about lost fortunes and sisters who had married for nothing more than money. She worked as a waitress for a few years, living in a shabby but comfortable women's home. Two years ago she ran into her sister and after telling Margaret of how she was living and working, Emma moved in with her. She is now in the process of learning about her sister's life and trying desperately to emulate her. Emma's forgiven Margaret, but isn't aware that this needs being said.
[tr][td]

[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Le Immortelle

Quote from: Kendra on January 30, 2012, 02:47:12 PM
Amazon - if you're bringing over your other character concept, I take it that's the private Eye you're going with then?
I'll get on creating the dirty cop bio so  :-)

Yush and I love your char!

My charsheet shall be up tomorrow. :)

Kendra

Quote from: Amazon on January 31, 2012, 12:53:21 PM
Yush and I love your char!

My charsheet shall be up tomorrow. :)

aww thank you ;)

must say I've enjoyed all the characters posted so far ... no pressure there Amazon!  XD

RedEve

Chrystal

Sam Shovel is a great character. We never did formal char sheets for "Gumshoe", and I'm still making the plot up as I go (Yea, I'm "GM-ing" it). But it's sort-of based very loosely on "The Maltese Falcon".

(Sam Spade and Ivy Archer, in case you hadn't worked it out).

Xunzar

- I am a detective
by ~Munglai
Name: Jack Smith
Date of birth: June 23rd, 1917
Character archetype: Detective-for-Hire
Biography: Jack was born to Dr. James Pierson  and Lacy. Lacy didn't have a last name, she was just a street walker in the right place when Dr. Smith needed some fun. As such, she found herself out of work for several months while she carried the child to term. She treated him well...as well as she could, but she always blamed him for her never fetching as high a price anymore. Finally, at age 6, Jack ran away from home.

It was easy for the quick youth to fall into a life of crime, and he did so almost as soon as an older street-tough took him in and taught him a trade. He was just a little boy that no one noticed, even after he'd picked their pockets. It wasn't until he was fifteen that he began moving up in the world. A local mobster took an interest in Jack and decided to hire him as an errand boy.

Soon, he was more than that. By the time he was nineteen, he was doing enforcement work for the man, who'd seen to it that his young amusement was educated. Originally, it was done on a lark, just to screw with the kid's head, but Jack proved to be an able student and was well on his way to moving up the ladder to being a significant man in the boss' organization when the last bunch of honest cops raided their place.

Jack ended up in jail for only a short time, there was little that could be proven about his involvement in anything specific. When he got out, a private investigator took Jack under his wing.

Jack took to it entirely. He was good at the work. At twenty-five, he decided to go solo. The parting was amicable and Jack and his mentor are usually on good terms, except when a case comes up that they're on opposite sides of.

Instead, Jack set up in a small office as a professional finder of things that were missing...or occasionally, things that were to go missing. It's not exactly a thriving business, but both sides of the street know that there are two things that can be said about Jack: He's good at what he does, and he's honest enough not to rat you out.

His interest in the necklace stemmed, initially, from a young woman who came into his office and asked him to find it. She didn't blink at his fee, and he was staring at her body. But he's not sure he's going to take the job, he did a little asking around and it seems like everyone and their brother is after that thing. But on the other hand, the dame is willing to pay a LOT of money...
The list below is mostly up to date. To be honest, you can assume there is little that is a hard no.
A list of kinks

Le Immortelle

Name: Samantha 'Sam; Shovel
Date of birth: 13th November, 1910
Character archetype: Private Investigator
Biography: Samantha Shovel was born to a father who was a policeman and mother who was a housewife in New York. Since her childhood it had been her dream to become a cop herself one day and she succeeded in fulfilling it eventually. Only to find out that life as a badass, crime busting cop wasn't as simple as she had imagined. The city was as corrupt as it gets and one just might've said that the cops were worse than the criminals as Sam found out at a hefty price. Each time she attempted to bust some nasty criminals she was preventing in one way or another.

Eventually she got far too close for her own good in a bid to expose Chief himself. That, coupled with the affair she was having with the wife of the Chief of Police promptly got her fired from her position in a highly humiliating manner. After which she just set up a shop as a private investigator. These incidents, along with the death of her parents in a car accident at the same time turned her into a rather cynical and bitter person from whom no vice escaped, turning into a chain smoker and a serious alcoholic. That is, until the time she met Ivy Bowman who had approached Sam in order to find her missing daughter.

Both of them became lovers soon and Sam had her share of adventures with Ivy as some of Ivy's secrets were revealed. Sam still operates as a P.I. herself and continues to take on new cases. The missing Ruby has intrigued her considering the whole town has been on the hunt for it and she has been approached by an annonymous party to track it down for handsome fee.

RedEve

Quote from: Amazon on February 01, 2012, 11:03:30 AM
Name: Samantha 'Sam; Shovel
Date of birth: 13th November, 1910
Character archetype: Private Investigator
Biography: Samantha Shovel was born to a father who was a policeman and mother who was a housewife in New York. Since her childhood it had been her dream to become a cop herself one day and she succeeded in fulfilling it eventually. Only to find out that life as a badass, crime busting cop wasn't as simple as she had imagined. The city was as corrupt as it gets and one just might've said that the cops were worse than the criminals as Sam found out at a hefty price. Each time she attempted to bust some nasty criminals she was preventing in one way or another.

Eventually she got far too close for her own good in a bid to expose Chief himself. That, coupled with the affair she was having with the wife of the Chief of Police promptly got her fired from her position in a highly humiliating manner. After which she just set up a shop as a private investigator. These incidents, along with the death of her parents in a car accident at the same time turned her into a rather cynical and bitter person from whom no vice escaped, turning into a chain smoker and a serious alcoholic. That is, until the time she met Ivy Bowman who had approached Sam in order to find her missing daughter.

Both of them became lovers soon and Sam had her share of adventures with Ivy as some of Ivy's secrets were revealed. Sam still operates as a P.I. herself and continues to take on new cases. The missing Ruby has intrigued her considering the whole town has been on the hunt for it and she has been approached by an annonymous party to track it down for handsome fee.

Approved.