Question for Republicans - What do you think of Paul Ryan?

Started by Oniya, August 12, 2012, 11:04:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

I'm fairly sure I know what most Democrats would say, but I've found the Republicans on Elliquiy to be intelligent representatives of the moderate part of the party - which the Tea Party seems to be trying to out-shout.  I know that Sarah Palin pretty much shot McCain in the foot last election.  Did the GOP learn from that mistake?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

AndyZ

I'm not Republican, but I like Paul Ryan.  Medicare is a complete shambles, and it definitely needs to be fixed, but most politicians won't even consider trying to do anything about it.  It's called the third rail, same with social security and the like.  Take a look at some of Harry Reid's lies about social security:

Harry Reid: Social Security is Not In Crisis

So, Paul Ryan set up a thing about a Roadmap, located here: http://roadmap.republicans.budget.house.gov/

So far, he's been one of the few who actually attempts to do something about it.  If you look at the attacks on the plan, they don't attempt to fix or alter the plan in any way, but just talk about the problems and throw in hyperbole about throwing Grandma off the cliff.

Yes, rather than talk about how to fix Medicare and Social Security, they throw in a purely pathos ad where an old woman gets tossed over a cliff, implying that everything works just fine and that there don't need to be any changes.  I know politics is bad, but dear crap.

I would love to have a politician in a high position who's actually willing to say, "You know what?  This doesn't work.  How can we fix it?" and tries to suggest something instead of bumbling on with the status quo and pretending that there's no issue.  I realize VP isn't really a powerful position, but between Ryan and Biden, no contest.

I'd have a lot more faith in Democrats who looked at his plan, pointed out the things that they didn't like and suggested their own ways to fix things.  This might have been done, but I haven't seen it.

Maybe not exactly what you asked for, there.  I can go into the politics of the decision if you like, but I adore the idea of, "Hey, guys, there's a problem with government, let's fix it!" when I'm sure he knew full well that he left himself open to all kinds of attacks for hugging the third rail.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Callie Del Noire

Thing is.. Paul Ryan ISN'T fixing the problems/

Privatizing Medicare isnt' what I'd call bright, given other things done. It seems, to me, a way to make the corporate interests in the GoP richer. I remember when HMOs got to be a big thing in the mid to late 90s.. I had coworkers who had AWESOME medical coverage for their family members, aside from tricare, due to their spouse's health coverage that literally dried up when managers of the HMOs started excluding 'pre-existing' conditions and 'over priced' options in therapies.. Tricare suddenly became a much better option for service members.

His budgets get some good press.. but the cuts aren't well defined in areas, and he's DEFINITELY Romney's boy on lowering the top income earners tax burden by a lot. Trickle Down is his budgetary goddess.. and it don't work.

He's sauve, charming, charismatic and clearly Mitt's posterboy for the younger crowd.. but I'm sorry.. he's more of the same.

Service the needs of the few, play to the social conservative front that makes Mitt the candidate and ignore the simply fact that business as usual isn't going to fix our problems.

It's still 'My way or the highway'. I want leaders dammit.. not partisans who won't work with the people across the line.

Beguile's Mistress

I'm not Republican but I don't have an opinion on him yet either.

I do enjoy listening to the pundits on Fox who applaud Romney for padding his ticket with a presentable conservative that should appeal to a broad cross section of the voting public.

I would so love to have someone say the main or only reason I was wanted for VP was because I was popular with the demographics they've alienated, ignored or couldn't connect with.

Silverfyre

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on August 12, 2012, 03:31:39 PM
I'm not Republican but I don't have an opinion on him yet either.

I do enjoy listening to the pundits on Fox who applaud Romney for padding his ticket with a presentable conservative that should appeal to a broad cross section of the voting public.

I would so love to have someone say the main or only reason I was wanted for VP was because I was popular with the demographics they've alienated, ignored or couldn't connect with.

God, so this.  Well said, BeMi.  It would be nice to get some truth behind the politics for once.

Bloodied Porcelain

I'm neither republican, nor democrat, but I think Paul Ryan is more of the same republican crap... They spoon feed their bull to the US population and sadly, far too many people eat it with a smile on their face. I could go on and on about all the reasons why I dislike him, but I really only need one to cement that my vote will NOT be going in his direction: He wants to significantly cut Pell Grants while simultaneously giving bigger tax cuts to the top 1%. Not. Okay. In a country where test scores are getting lower and lower every year and half our high school graduates are incapable of forming complete sentences, let alone going on to college where they'll be expected to write 10+ page research papers on something other than who Snooki is currently banging, the last thing we need to do is cut back on spending that allows more people to pursue higher education.

I wont even go in to my issues with the guy he's running with... I have a hard time fathoming someone wearing magic underwear in the big chair. At the risk of sounding incredibly cynical and jaded... anyone who believes that their underwear can keep away the devil, prevent diseases, and stop bullets... has absolutely NO business holding the nuclear codes. No. Just... no. And anyone who actually joins up with the one with those beliefs? I think I have every reason to question both runner's sanity, not to mention their IQs. Also, random side note... I don't think for a second Obama is actually religious. I think he's most likely Agnostic, but you can't get elected if you come out and say you're Atheist (unfortunately), so he says he is. That's just speculation though.
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

Torch

Quote from: Bloodied Porcelain on August 12, 2012, 05:02:21 PM
I have a hard time fathoming someone wearing magic underwear in the big chair. At the risk of sounding incredibly cynical and jaded... anyone who believes that their underwear can keep away the devil, prevent diseases, and stop bullets... has absolutely NO business holding the nuclear codes. No. Just... no. And anyone who actually joins up with the one with those beliefs? I think I have every reason to question both runner's sanity, not to mention their IQs.

The same types of criticisms were levied against JFK during his 1960 campaign, i.e. The presidency will now be taking orders from the Vatican, yada yada.

President Kennedy did an excellent job of allaying those fears by distancing himself from church matters throughout his presidency. One of his more memorable quotes, "I do not speak for my Church on public matters, and the Church does not speak for me."

It would be a tactical error on Romney's part to take any other stance than the one used by Kennedy, and there's been nothing in his campaign so far to indicate he would do so.
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

Bloodied Porcelain

Quote from: Torch on August 12, 2012, 05:37:01 PM
The same types of criticisms were levied against JFK during his 1960 campaign, i.e. The presidency will now be taking orders from the Vatican, yada yada.

President Kennedy did an excellent job of allaying those fears by distancing himself from church matters throughout his presidency. One of his more memorable quotes, "I do not speak for my Church on public matters, and the Church does not speak for me."

It would be a tactical error on Romney's part to take any other stance than the one used by Kennedy, and there's been nothing in his campaign so far to indicate he would do so.

The issue with that, of course, is that with the Mormon church, if you so much as SEEM like you're steering yourself away from the church, they'll kick you out and cut you off so fast your head will spin. Not to mention Romney is using the fact that he's so very, very pious and religious as the primary focus for his running. And I still hold true to the opinion that anyone who believes in magic underwear, talking snakes, etc is questionable at best.
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: AndyZ on August 12, 2012, 11:48:12 AM
I'm not Republican, but I like Paul Ryan.  Medicare is a complete shambles, and it definitely needs to be fixed, but most politicians won't even consider trying to do anything about it.  It's called the third rail, same with social security and the like.  Take a look at some of Harry Reid's lies about social security:

The problem is that the GOP's core attitude toward anyone who is not a profit center for the Forbes 400 is that they are a useless eater who needs to be set out on the ice so the top 1% can afford more toys.

Sorry, but it's only the truth.

The issue here isn't Medicare per se, but the relentless profiteering of Big Insurance and the healthcare industry in general.  If for the past 20 years, health care costs had risen at only the rate of inflation--hell, even core CPI+1%--no one would be talking about Medicare being unsustainable.  But the increase has been closer to twice the rate of inflation.  Healthcare has become a vampire feeding off the working class and the rest of the U.S. economy.  And the GOP's stance on this is, "well, that's the free market, can't do anything about it, sorry."  Well, we're going to have to do something about it, because if we don't, no reform of Medicare can succeed.  I'm all in favor of an industry making a fair return on investment, but premiums have been going up at 5 to 10% and higher during times when core inflation has been 1 to maybe 3%.  This is beyond a fair rate of return, and well into the realm of profiteering.

But even if we set this truth aside (and make no mistake, the GOP would love for us to ignore it so their rich health insurance CEO friends can get richer at society's expense) the insurance model for taking care of seniors is not economically viable.  The insurance model means paying a small, fixed amount per month to insure against occasional disasters.  You insure against, say, storm and fire damage to your home, and it works for both you and the insurance company because your house doesn't get hit by a tornado or lightning or a fire every year or every two or three years.  You might file a claim once a decade or so.  Health insurance for seniors is a non-starter because they need healthcare--sometimes expensive healthcare--on a frequent basis.  For the company to make book, a 60 year old would need to pay $2,000 a month or even more.

Universal healthcare makes much more economic sense.  People pay into the system when they're young and healthy, and that amount covers them when they get old and sick. 

The problem isn't Medicare.  The problem is the healthcare industry has this sense of entitlement that their bottom line has to improve by double-digit amounts every year, and they have the free-marketeers in the GOP willing to indulge them in this at the expense of the rest of us.  It needs to stop.  We need to roll back health insurance premiums and costs to 2008 levels and freeze them for four years.  Big Insurance will have to make do with less...just like the rest of the country outside of Wall Street.

Torch

Quote from: Bloodied Porcelain on August 12, 2012, 05:44:36 PM
The issue with that, of course, is that with the Mormon church, if you so much as SEEM like you're steering yourself away from the church, they'll kick you out and cut you off so fast your head will spin.

The LDS church does not hold the monopoly on excommunication. The Roman Catholic Church manages that act quite nicely as well with those they feel have become spiritually separated from the church. And as we all know, there was certainly much about JFK's private life that would have left him subject to this penalty from his church. And yet it did not affect his ability to perform his duties as President.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

On's and Off's

Bloodied Porcelain

Quote from: Torch on August 12, 2012, 06:16:17 PM
The LDS church does not hold the monopoly on excommunication. The Roman Catholic Church manages that act quite nicely as well with those they feel have become spiritually separated from the church. And as we all know, there was certainly much about JFK's private life that would have left him subject to this penalty from his church. And yet it did not affect his ability to perform his duties as President.

I never implied that they hold the monopoly, only that they follow the tenant far more vigorously than even the Catholic church does. I'm sure I don't need to remind you that there are priests who have been proven to be child molestors, money embezzlers, etc that even though they strayed far, far, far from their purpose and supposed beliefs are still part of their church. The Catholic church is also far more political on a global scale than the mormon church is. Outside of protesting things they dislike, they don't really hob-knob with royalty and the like nearly as much. I can see someone professing to be a Catholic ending up in office and doing things the Catholic church wouldn't agree with without getting excommunicated. Knowing what I know about the LDS church, however, I have serious doubts that the standards would be the same.

Also... none of your points has done anything to sway my original point, which was that anyone who believes in magic underwear that can stop bullets is very likely not intelligent and/or mentally stable enough to be handed the Nuclear codes or to have to make any serious decision that involves the lives an entire country.

Edit:

Also...

Quote from: OldSchoolGamer on August 12, 2012, 06:01:02 PM
The problem is that the GOP's core attitude toward anyone who is not a profit center for the Forbes 400 is that they are a useless eater who needs to be set out on the ice so the top 1% can afford more toys.

Sorry, but it's only the truth.

The issue here isn't Medicare per se, but the relentless profiteering of Big Insurance and the healthcare industry in general.  If for the past 20 years, health care costs had risen at only the rate of inflation--hell, even core CPI+1%--no one would be talking about Medicare being unsustainable.  But the increase has been closer to twice the rate of inflation.  Healthcare has become a vampire feeding off the working class and the rest of the U.S. economy.  And the GOP's stance on this is, "well, that's the free market, can't do anything about it, sorry."  Well, we're going to have to do something about it, because if we don't, no reform of Medicare can succeed.  I'm all in favor of an industry making a fair return on investment, but premiums have been going up at 5 to 10% and higher during times when core inflation has been 1 to maybe 3%.  This is beyond a fair rate of return, and well into the realm of profiteering.

But even if we set this truth aside (and make no mistake, the GOP would love for us to ignore it so their rich health insurance CEO friends can get richer at society's expense) the insurance model for taking care of seniors is not economically viable.  The insurance model means paying a small, fixed amount per month to insure against occasional disasters.  You insure against, say, storm and fire damage to your home, and it works for both you and the insurance company because your house doesn't get hit by a tornado or lightning or a fire every year or every two or three years.  You might file a claim once a decade or so.  Health insurance for seniors is a non-starter because they need healthcare--sometimes expensive healthcare--on a frequent basis.  For the company to make book, a 60 year old would need to pay $2,000 a month or even more.

Universal healthcare makes much more economic sense.  People pay into the system when they're young and healthy, and that amount covers them when they get old and sick. 

The problem isn't Medicare.  The problem is the healthcare industry has this sense of entitlement that their bottom line has to improve by double-digit amounts every year, and they have the free-marketeers in the GOP willing to indulge them in this at the expense of the rest of us.  It needs to stop.  We need to roll back health insurance premiums and costs to 2008 levels and freeze them for four years.  Big Insurance will have to make do with less...just like the rest of the country outside of Wall Street.

*applauds*

Torch

Quote from: Bloodied Porcelain on August 12, 2012, 06:34:23 PM

Also... none of your points has done anything to sway my original point, which was that anyone who believes in magic underwear that can stop bullets is very likely not intelligent and/or mentally stable enough to be handed the Nuclear codes or to have to make any serious decision that involves the lives an entire country.

Do your beliefs on intelligence and/or mental stability extend to those who practice other religions? Islam, perhaps? Orthodox Judaism? Would an Orthodox Jew who refuses to use electricity on the Sabbath be intelligent enough to hold the office of POTUS?

ETA: This is getting off topic, so I'd be glad to continue the discussion in another thread.

On's and Off's

Elias

So this thread asks for Republican opinion and we get 1 moderate and 5 democrats. Sounds like one of NBCs fair panels or something.

I am a Canadian Conservative, and economically I like Paul Ryan, morally hes still too small town America, Bible thumper for my tastes. His plan is sound for government programs and I think we need strong leadership to pull this country from generations of bad decisions. I swear you guys just jump between the same 2 guys

Random Republican- Cuts all taxes increases size of military, shrinks whatever thing that annoys the republicans at the time nothing important just annoying (Pretty sure right now its EPA)
Random Democrat- Cuts military, spends way too much money and raises taxes, creates random annoying worthless program (Ridiculous government groups that are supposed to regulate more but DONT)

rinse, repeat.

I think Paul will actually try and change the cycle, once he gets in there though I guarantee nothing, Washington has a tendency to suck the life from idealists.

Bloodied Porcelain

Quote from: Elias on August 12, 2012, 06:45:47 PM
So this thread asks for Republican opinion and we get 1 moderate and 5 democrats. Sounds like one of NBCs fair panels or something.

I am a Canadian Conservative, and economically I like Paul Ryan, morally hes still too small town America, Bible thumper for my tastes. His plan is sound for government programs and I think we need strong leadership to pull this country from generations of bad decisions. I swear you guys just jump between the same 2 guys

Random Republican- Cuts all taxes increases size of military, shrinks whatever thing that annoys the republicans at the time nothing important just annoying (Pretty sure right now its EPA)
Random Democrat- Cuts military, spends way too much money and raises taxes, creates random annoying worthless program (Ridiculous government groups that are supposed to regulate more but DONT)

rinse, repeat.

I think Paul will actually try and change the cycle, once he gets in there though I guarantee nothing, Washington has a tendency to suck the life from idealists.

I don't think he'll try to change it... I think he says he will because he knows it will help them in the polls and right now, Obama is leading Romney (last I checked anyway). When he gets in to office, though, he and Romney will most likely go back to doing the same thing those who went before them have done. I'm not a huge fan of Obama by any means, but personally, I think things could be MUCH worse than they are, given the absolute shit storm he walked in to when he took office. Fixing the economy is going to be a long and grueling process and no one candidate will make or break us (unless we somehow end up with another Bush on our hands... something I worry a guy like Romney would prove to be) in the long run. In the end, it will take multiple presidents and multiple runs in office before this is fixed.

Oniya

Actually, the terms 'moderate' and 'Republican' are not exclusive.  The extreme-right Republicans are probably a little too uptight to hang out here (I could be wrong, though).

I am a little amused by how many of these posts start with 'I'm not a Republican, but...'

I would like to focus the convo a bit more on Ryan, and not Romney - we've discussed Romney to pieces already, and it's time to give the new guy some spotlight time.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Bloodied Porcelain

Quote from: Oniya on August 12, 2012, 07:01:22 PM
Actually, the terms 'moderate' and 'Republican' are not exclusive.  The extreme-right Republicans are probably a little too uptight to hang out here (I could be wrong, though).

I am a little amused by how many of these posts start with 'I'm not a Republican, but...'

I would like to focus the convo a bit more on Ryan, and not Romney - we've discussed Romney to pieces already, and it's time to give the new guy some spotlight time.

It's a little hard to discuss the VP candidate all on his lonesome without talking about his ties to his running mate, given that without Romney, Ryan wouldn't be in the position he's in (most likely). I also think that who a VP candidate is running with has a lot to say about the candidate themselves. But that's just me.

Beguile's Mistress

Consider the phrase "a heartbeat away from the Oval office" and you'll see why the VP candidate needs to be discussed in his or her own right and why their effect on the election is so important.

Torch

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on August 12, 2012, 07:31:29 PM
Consider the phrase "a heartbeat away from the Oval office" and you'll see why the VP candidate needs to be discussed in his or her own right and why their effect on the election is so important.

Very true, but historically the role of the VP has been a veritable crapshoot. There's no question that Dick Cheney was hugely influential on Dubya's policy decisions, while HW was so far removed from Reagan's inner circle that the man himself described his job as "You die, we fly", a joking reference to the VP's position as the US representative at every funeral for heads of state around the world.

On's and Off's

OldSchoolGamer

If he was vetted to run as veep on a D or R ticket, his loyalty lies wholly with the Forbes 400.  He's a front man.  If elected, he'll follow orders.  If he doesn't follow Forbes 400 orders, he'll have a "scandal" or an "accident," he'll be retired, and he'll be replaced with another front man.  It doesn't matter what these people say or what platform they espouse.  All they need to be is smart enough to read what the Forbes 400 put on the teleprompter.

Bloodied Porcelain

If we're talking about just his personal views and what he wants to do... Here's a list of things we know about him so far:

-Right Wing Ideologue <--- Scary
-Wants to lavish trillions of dollars in tax cuts on the wealthy <--- No!
-Wants to turn Medicare in to a voucher system <--- No!
-Wants to cut back spending on research and development <--- Bad dog!
-Wants to cut back spending on student loan and grant programs <--- No, no, no, NO!
-Wants to ban abortion even in cases of rape and incest <--- *smacks nose with a rolled up newspaper*
-Even George W. Bush called one of his plans for a social security privatisation scheme outright irresponsible <--- Need I say more?
-Voted in favor of the war in Iraq <--- -.-;
-Supported Bush's economic policies and now wants to bring most of those same policies back <--- Wasn't that what got us in to this mess in the first place?

Dress it up with all the pretty, energetic talk you want (and he is an excellent public speaker, I will give him that), but he's about as hardcore right wing as you can get and that in and of itself is almost as frightening as Palin's claim that she could handle foreign policy because she could see Russia from her back yard.

Chelemar

Isn't that the truth! 

I think that he's made a mistake picking Paul Ryan.  He's going to alienate Seniors, disabled and poor who will be skittish about Ryan's desire to privatize Social Security and Medicare. He was the house budget committee's chairman.  But that he didn't vote for the bailout that the committee came up with said a lot about him.   The fact that he is anti-abortion as well as Catholic will most likely turn away other voters, those in the bible belt who were fence sitting, while gaining others, again who were fence sitting.  Though if those who choose not to vote Romney will vote for Obama, or just do not vote, I don't know.  I don't really see him adding much to bring people to the Republican campaign as much as solidifying those who are already going to vote for or against Romney. 

Will

Quote from: Chelemar on August 12, 2012, 08:17:46 PM
Isn't that the truth! 

I think that he's made a mistake picking Paul Ryan.  He's going to alienate Seniors, disabled and poor who will be skittish about Ryan's desire to privatize Social Security and Medicare. He was the house budget committee's chairman.  But that he didn't vote for the bailout that the committee came up with said a lot about him.   The fact that he is anti-abortion as well as Catholic will most likely turn away other voters, those in the bible belt who were fence sitting, while gaining others, again who were fence sitting.  Though if those who choose not to vote Romney will vote for Obama, or just do not vote, I don't know.  I don't really see him adding much to bring people to the Republican campaign as much as solidifying those who are already going to vote for or against Romney.

This is pretty much my thinking.  I was under the impression that no one, whether Democrat or Republican, wanted to touch the Medicare issue because seniors are very motivated voters.  Ryan seems like a pretty bold pick to me, and not in a good way.  I mean, aren't they going to need Florida?
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Will on August 12, 2012, 08:53:30 PM
This is pretty much my thinking.  I was under the impression that no one, whether Democrat or Republican, wanted to touch the Medicare issue because seniors are very motivated voters.  Ryan seems like a pretty bold pick to me, and not in a good way.  I mean, aren't they going to need Florida?

From what I've seen on the local news.. it's still kinda split.. there will be a LOT of spin on both sides till November. His past history and near salivating when he talks about 'medicare reform' is going to be troublesome.

Elias

oh for the love of... What is wrong with you people how can you possibly think a bloated federal government system works at doing anything right, federal government is the antithesis of everything that is wrong with the world destroys more lives, ruins more small mans dreams, spends more money pointlessly than anything else on this planet.

More power to states
More power to local government
more power to business

Less regulation
smaller government
more freedom to the average citizen.

Support for Gay civil union
do everything we can to stop abortions not linked to rape, incest or the safety of the mother.
Support for Isreal

Yes I can rattle off politics and minutia all day but in the end that's what I am looking for in a government and its closer to Ryans vision than Obama. He wins my vote.

Blame Bush is petty as well, Bush was an idiot but the policies that led to this economies big collapse falls on the shoulders of Clinton as much as George.
As for Romney, I have always believed that Governors make better presidents, Senators deal with politics, Governors deal with actual administration a state is a country in small. Romney was also not the best pick but better then Obama.

Chelemar

QuoteWhat is wrong with you people

erm... it's not a discussion about what's wrong with us, thanks. :D 

It is a discussion on Paul Ryan.

Ryan is not for gay civil union.  He voted against it and is against gay marriage.  He is against abortion if ALL forms and
QuoteHe is a co-sponsor of a bill that would define fetuses as people entitled to full legal protection, a proposal that has become the latest focus in the battles over abortion. The bill declares, “The life of each human being begins with fertilization, cloning, or its functional equivalent, irrespective of sex, health, function or disability, defect, stage of biological development, or condition of dependency, at which time every human being shall have all the legal and constitutional attributes and privileges of personhood.”
-The New York Times Politics section

As for Israel, I don't know his voting policy concerning Israel, only his statement to support Israel and in naming Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.  However, that doesn't give him any experience in foreign policy.  He's a virtual babe in the woods when it comes to that.  And, Romney needed someone who could at least give him some help in that area.