WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Beorning on December 20, 2014, 04:57:50 AM
The Inquisition and the Space Wolves hate each other? Ha! How about a Space Wolf x Sister of Battle romantic pairing? Just throwing a plot bunny out there...  :-)
Nothing philosophical against it. Might be a little rough on the Sister, though - like, pulverized hip bones rough.

And speaking of this, how about a Techpriest x his female Servitor?

Servitors aren't sentient or even self-aware, so that's just a Techpriest in possession of an expensive self-propelled sex toy. It would be an unusual Tech-priest interested in indulging in fleshy pleasures, but not impossible.

Beorning

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 20, 2014, 05:24:48 AM
Nothing philosophical against it. Might be a little rough on the Sister, though - like, pulverized hip bones rough.

That's why this would be a romantic pairing, with no hanky-panky going on :)

(BTW. Let's keep this PG-13 here, shall we?)

Servitors aren't sentient or even self-aware, so that's just a Techpriest in possession of an expensive self-propelled sex toy. It would be an unusual Tech-priest interested in indulging in fleshy pleasures, but not impossible.

Well, I want to play a Servitor, though :) Maybe even in a "human-to-Servitor transformation" RP... Some of them *were* humans, right?

HairyHeretic

All servitors are human to start with, either clone grown or mindwiped slaves. That's the bit you want to keep in mind though. With one exception, no servitor has ever shown anything like personality or an awareness of its prior existance. They are little more than meat puppets, able to follow a set of commands, and that's pretty much it. Anything outside of those parameters, they don't know how to handle it.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Beorning

Quote from: HairyHeretic on December 20, 2014, 08:15:18 AM
All servitors are human to start with, either clone grown or mindwiped slaves. That's the bit you want to keep in mind though. With one exception, no servitor has ever shown anything like personality or an awareness of its prior existance. They are little more than meat puppets, able to follow a set of commands, and that's pretty much it. Anything outside of those parameters, they don't know how to handle it.

Oh, I know. But an aberrant servitor with just a tiny bit of personality and memories... that could be fun to RP :)

HairyHeretic

Read Graham McNeills 'Mars' trilogy. You might not think so after :)

And also because he slips in a Princess Bride reference via one of the Skitari Magi, which I found hilarious.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Beorning

Quote from: HairyHeretic on December 20, 2014, 08:32:20 AM
Read Graham McNeills 'Mars' trilogy. You might not think so after :)

*takes a note* Sure, but remember that I do have some peculiar interests, like the last two ideas in here...;)

And also because he slips in a Princess Bride reference via one of the Skitari Magi, which I found hilarious.

What the heck is this Princess Bride thing? I've never seen it and people keep referencing it...

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Beorning on December 20, 2014, 08:38:24 AM
*takes a note* Sure, but remember that I do have some peculiar interests, like the last two ideas in here...;)

Fair enough. Not my thing, but to each their own

Quote from: Beorning on December 20, 2014, 08:38:24 AM
What the heck is this Princess Bride thing? I've never seen it and people keep referencing it...

IMO one of the best gamer movies ever.

This is the original trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYgcrny2hRs

though keep in mind its about 25 years old at this point

Here's one of my favourite scenes, which won't give away too much (the audio is unfortunately just slightly off on it, but its still enjoyable)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDlZ_SXx5gA

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Beorning

Hey, it's Mandy Patinkin from Criminal Minds...

Anyway, the trailer kind of sucks, but the scene you posted is great. How come that movie is never on TV here? We get other 80s classics...

Oniya

Quote from: Beorning on December 20, 2014, 09:44:30 AM
Hey, it's Mandy Patinkin from Criminal Minds...

Anyway, the trailer kind of sucks, but the scene you posted is great. How come that movie is never on TV here? We get other 80s classics...

I bet he'd get a chuckle about someone recognizing him from there as opposed to from Princess Bride.  ^^  The movie also features Andre the Giant of pro-wrestling fame, and Wallace Shawn, who also played 'Rex the Dinosaur' in Toy Story, and the Grand Nagus in Deep Space 9.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beorning

And isn't the kid in the beginning a young Fred Savage? Also, is his gradpa played by Peter Falk, or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

Coming back to Warhammer...

I was wondering: are there any examples in WH40K fiction of Sisters x Marines friendship or romance? Also, any instances of a member of these groups romancing someone else?

I've seen some scenes from the Space Marine game and there seemed to be hints of the lead character romancing an Imperial Guard officer?

Oniya

Quote from: Beorning on December 20, 2014, 10:44:51 AM
And isn't the kid in the beginning a young Fred Savage? Also, is his gradpa played by Peter Falk, or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

Right on both counts.  :D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Beorning on December 20, 2014, 10:44:51 AM
I was wondering: are there any examples in WH40K fiction of Sisters x Marines friendship or romance? Also, any instances of a member of these groups romancing someone else?

One of the Commissar Caine novels has a Sister of Battle (they're both teaching in a Schola Progenium at the time) who says her order has no restriction on the Sisters being celibate. She seems to be involved discretely with another staff member.

Marines .. that's one of those questions that gets endlessly debated, whether Marines are capable of anything, either emotionally or physically. I don't think it's ever been canonically answered. Marines can certainly have friendships with outsiders, be impressed by them and so forth ... romance though .. I don't know.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

TheGlyphstone

Though if anyone is capable, Space Wolves are probably near the top of the list (as far as Loyalists go, Chaos Marines are a whole different ballgame). They're famous in canon for throwing huge raucous space-viking parties with alcohol potent enough to get them drunk - which might be literal paint thinner, considering Marine biology. Parties mean drinking, feasting, and traditionally wenching as well.

The only nod one way or the other is implicit and technically non-canon, in that the 'Chem Geld' talent isn't part of the default Marine ability set in Deathwatch.

Beorning

What's the Chem Geld?

BTW. I finished my Canoness yesterday. Overall, she was... about 8 hours of work, more or less. I think she looks good! At least, in relation to my level of ability. But the amount of time she took...  :o

Overall, I've started painting minis three months ago, with the result being 5 finished minis. I really can't imagine how you guys can paint as fast as you do...

TheGlyphstone

Exactly what it sounds like - the character has been chemically or surgically gelded. The character is now outright immune to seduction and resistant to being charmed.

HairyHeretic

Practice. The more you paint, the faster you get, and the more tricks and tips you pick up.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Beorning

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 21, 2014, 02:21:25 AM
Exactly what it sounds like - the character has been chemically or surgically gelded. The character is now outright immune to seduction and resistant to being charmed.

Which game is this talent available in? It seems absent both from Dark Heresy 2E and Black Crusade...

Quote from: HairyHeretic on December 21, 2014, 05:44:38 AM
Practice. The more you paint, the faster you get, and the more tricks and tips you pick up.

I guess so... If I can judge myself, I'd say that I *am* becoming more precise than I was when I started.

Anyway, here she is - Canoness Beorninga  ;) I admit I stole the painting scheme from GW's official photo, but I fell in love with how the character looked in there. The white hairstripe was a great idea... and it made the character remarkably similar to my current E avatar.  ;D

HairyHeretic

So have you decided on one particular Order that your Sisters will belong to? I'm afraid I don't know their Orders well enough to tell them by a glance at the colour scheme.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Beorning

Oh, I decided that painting the same color scheme over and over again will be boring... so, I'm going with a concept I termed "Sororitas Expeditionary Force". Basically, representatives of all of the orders, including some made-up by me.

So far, I used four of the established orders and one of my own conception. The next one I'll be painting will be the Seraphim from the Order of Martyred Lady... the ones that dye for the Emperor  ;D She'll also be the second black-skinned Sister on the roster. Overall, I hope to go for a variety of Orders, as well as of skin colours and hair colours.

On related note, I just spent some time trying to figure out how the penitent engine fits together. I think I got it... but I'm afraid if the model will hold together with just Superglue? The pieces are heavy... and I have no idea how to do pinning...

HairyHeretic

Pinning is simple enough in principle. You use a small drill to make a hole in each piece you want to connect. You then use a thin piece of metal as a pin to reinforce the strength of the join.

I've never pinned anything myself, but my metal dreadnoughts are held together with superglue, and I haven't had any issues with them.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Beorning

Do you think that adding some Greenstuff to the joints would help?

BTW. How fast does Greenstuff harden? Do you need gloves to work with it?

HairyHeretic

I've used greenstuff when metal wasn't gluing properly, or when I wanted to move a limb beyond the normal fit of the faces. I'll see if I can get a decent pic of one of my conversions, where I have a CSM holding a knife against his forearm (cut the wrist, angled the blade in and filled the gap with greenstuff) which would show that.

I've never used gloves, though I would wash my hands after having used it before I went off and did anything else mind you, particularly if it was food related.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Beorning

Thank you, I was just wondering...  :-)

A quick question: could one of you tell me what "Rage" Special Rule in WH40K means? It's listed as one of the special rules for penitent engines. I've read online that, in combat, these unit behave like berserkers, i.e. they just run toward the first enemy unit they see. I'm wondering which rule exactly forces this behaviour...

Lanaestra

In my experience greenstuff takes the better part of a day to fully harden. If you're ever doing sculpting work with it, that can be advantageous, since you can work it into the general shape you want, let it set for a few hours, and then take it an apply it onto the model you're working with. It'll still have enough flexibility to be worked around the model, but it'll hold it's general shape.

For example, here's a daemon weapon I sculpted up for an inquisitor. I made the tentacles, let them set an hour or so, and then wrapped them around the sword.

All Rage does (now) is give the unit +2 attacks on the charge instead of +1. It used t have some rules forcing models to charge the closest enemy units and what have you, but that's been taken out.

Beorning

Quote from: VonCrown on December 21, 2014, 02:44:36 PM
In my experience greenstuff takes the better part of a day to fully harden. If you're ever doing sculpting work with it, that can be advantageous, since you can work it into the general shape you want, let it set for a few hours, and then take it an apply it onto the model you're working with. It'll still have enough flexibility to be worked around the model, but it'll hold it's general shape.

For example, here's a daemon weapon I sculpted up for an inquisitor. I made the tentacles, let them set an hour or so, and then wrapped them around the sword.

Interesting... Thank you for info :)

All Rage does (now) is give the unit +2 attacks on the charge instead of +1. It used t have some rules forcing models to charge the closest enemy units and what have you, but that's been taken out.

Ah, I see. I googled around and it seems that penitent engines aren't mindless berserkers under the new rules. Which is good  :-)

BTW. Speaking of penitent engines, I found this on DeviantArt:

I'd totally RP that  ;D