News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Too white too bright...stop it already!

Started by The Overlord, July 22, 2008, 07:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Overlord

Does anyone know if there's a program out there that can alter the basic color settings of windows including web browsers?

Here's my problem; I hate white.

It's been brought to my attention that a brighter background on a webpage or open window ultimately pulls more power for your monitor than dimmer colors, which makes sense, if you look at the differences in light flooding out of your monitor and into the room it's clearly significant in light vs. dark backgrounds. And sometime if my contacts are making my eyes a little more light sensitive, white is annoying too.

Besides looking at it from a conservation perspective, I find white backgrounds aesthetically offensive...even creepy sometimes. Is this just me or does anyone else have this problem? If you open a new tab on your browser or a program hangs when it's loading it's like having this big fucking floodlight in your face, which is as disturbing to me as it is annoying.

Somebody else out there must have considered at least one of these issues and wrote a program for it, I'd appreciate any leads here.  :-\

CharlieSariel

If you're using a Windows based Operating System, you should be able to right click on your desktop and choose the properties option.  From there, just pick the Appearance tab, and then the Advanced settings. 

From there, you should be able to specifically customize the basic colour appearance of every item on the computer display.  Including (I think) the background colours on most webpages.  Of course, if your browser is set to allow local settings to ovver-ride yours, that won't help much, but it you wonk with the web page settings, you might lose pictures and the like from there too. 

If you want to change the browser settings just to see what it might do for you, it's all reversible later.  I just can't remember the specific paths to get to the browser settings off the top of my head.  Poke about in the Internet Options, and I'm sure you'll find it there.

Hope this helps!

Oh.. gee.. I guess that tech support position actually helped me somehow.  Wierd...

Current Posting Rate - Approximately 1 to 2 posts per week

The Overlord

TYVM I went a’ poking in my Windows settings and got to the right areas. My windows have a nice black background, as do parts of my browsers (IE and Firefox). It's not a perfect fix since depending on what color the text bar ends up, I need a nice font color to show up on black AND white...a medium blue seems to work.

And it only blacks out the text box on E, but also the text...so sorta an issue, but that's why god gave us copy/paste.

Thanks again, this is so much better. :D

CharlieSariel

Current Posting Rate - Approximately 1 to 2 posts per week