News:

Main Menu

The Cape

Started by Jag, January 19, 2011, 12:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jag

This show premiered on January 9, 2011 on NBC with a 2 hour pilot.

Click Spoiler to see Plot Outline
The series, set in the fictional metropolis of Palm City, follows Vince Faraday, an honest police detective who is considering leaving the city's corrupt police force. He witnesses the murder of the city's new police chief by a mysterious individual known as "Chess". Faraday accepts an offer to work for the private security firm of billionaire Peter Fleming, who is petitioning the city to privatize  their police and public safety operations. An e-mail from the anonymous investigative blogger "Orwell" leads Faraday and his partner Marty Voyt to a cargo train owned by Fleming's firm that is smuggling explosives. Unfortunately, Voyt has set up Faraday and delivers him to Chess, who is Fleming himself. Fleming frames Faraday for the police chief's murder and sends his security teams after Faraday in a chase (televised by local news stations) that culminates in an explosion. The entire city (including Faraday's family) now believes that Faraday is Chess and that he died in the explosion. Faraday survives and is taken in by a traveling circus turned bank robbery ring. Their leader, Max Malini, trains Faraday to use a special black cape to defend himself against his foes. The circus folk convince Faraday that he cannot reveal himself to his wife and son without endangering their lives. Faraday decides to fight Palm City's corruption and clear his name by taking the guise of his son's favorite comic book hero, "The Cape".

Among the cast we have:

Summer Glau - Firefly, Serenity, Dollhouse, and Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles as the Mysterious Orwell.

James Frain - TRON: Legacy, True Blood, The Tudors, Invasion, 24, and The Buccaneers as Chess and Peter Fleming.

Martin Klebba - Pirates of the Caribbean, Cradle 2 the Grave, and various small appearances as Rollo.

So...the show is 2 episodes in and I really like it. Has anyone else been keeping up with it? What do you all think?
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Izu

I have~ Mmmm~ it's interesting~ But I think they could have made it way much more interesting... we'll see how the story will develop :3 The Cape guy is cute though :3

ONs and OFFs || M/M Search || Izu's A&A
...Like reflections on the page, the world's what you create...

Jag

David Lyons is kinda cute. He's not been in too many other things and I think that's great. And, of course, James Frain is awesome as usual. I was sad when Tara gave him the whack in TB.

Envious

It's an okay series. It's enough to keep me entertained for its duration, but that might be because the Cape guy is kinda cute. A lot of it just seems over the top- something I can enjoy when done right.

sleepingferret

Of all the things you listed for Summer... isn't Dollhouse the only thing Fox has yet to cancel "prematurely".  Firefly at least got a decent movie wrap up produced, but while Serenity was decent; the Firefly series should have never been canceled like it was.  Same with Terminator the Sarah Connor Chronicles.  But oh well...

As for The Cape, the opening pilot was decent.  And the characters thus far seem interesting enough.  But I retain my judgment until I see more.

CmdrRenegade

Quote from: sleepingferret on January 19, 2011, 04:21:23 PM
Of all the things you listed for Summer... isn't Dollhouse the only thing Fox has yet to cancel "prematurely".  Firefly at least got a decent movie wrap up produced, but while Serenity was decent; the Firefly series should have never been canceled like it was.  Same with Terminator the Sarah Connor Chronicles.  But oh well...

As for The Cape, the opening pilot was decent.  And the characters thus far seem interesting enough.  But I retain my judgment until I see more.

While I know it's not a perfect substitute, the Firefly comics are in many ways a continuation of what we should have seen on TV.  Just throwing that out there, one Firefly fan to another.
"Every creative act is open war against The Way It Is."-Tycho Brahe of Penny Arcade

I'm CmdrRenegade and these are my Ons and Offs and Apologies and Abcenses on Elliquiy.

Callie Del Noire

I like the show, particually Max and his crew. That being said I think Max and Vince clashing. I seriously think that it's going to end in a tragedy, The Cape and the Circus folk.

If things go south for him, the most likely backstabber is one of Max's crew.

Yorubi

Ah I have seen the previews for it but I wasn't quite sure if I would check it out just to see how it is. From how everyone is talking about it I think I'll go about watching to check out to see if I like it myself.

RubySlippers

Its over the top he's a magic using hero enough said - just look at Doctor Strange for over the top.  ;D

But I like it street level, guy using magic and tricks and likely some decent villians to fight.

Jag

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on January 24, 2011, 09:00:22 PM
I like the show, particually Max and his crew. That being said I think Max and Vince clashing. I seriously think that it's going to end in a tragedy, The Cape and the Circus folk.

If things go south for him, the most likely backstabber is one of Max's crew.

I like Max and his crew too. With how Vince is kind of going all out on taking down bad guys, he'll eventually have to turn on them too. At least I think so. *has not seen the most recent episode yet*

I like that it's a bit over the top. It's a nice change from some of the shows that are out this season. I don't see it lasting too many seasons, but I think it'll go well. Kind of like Special Unit 2. Turn into more of a cult show, type thing.

Quote from: sleepingferret on January 19, 2011, 04:21:23 PM

Yeah, she doesn't have the best track record for shows...not that the shows aren't good (I love Firefly and the Sarah Connor Chronicles). Someone mentioned to me that Summer is a jinx for shows and everything she's on will eventually be canceled before it needs to be. :P At least she's nice to look at and a good actress.

Dizzi

Bad news.  Rating on this show are bad (Stupid Neilson rating system -_-) and the show got cut down to ten episodes, instead of thirteen.
One of the people running the show said 'Episode 10 is also going to be a real shocker. In fact there is a building intensity to the last several episodes that is really exciting. Major, major changes are afoot. No one is safe.' ' and those 'last several episodes' just got cut.
source: http://io9.com/#!5749613/the-capes-first-season-cut-short-++-and-summer-glau+centric-episodes-may-be-sacrificed

Jag

The bastards! I like the show. V_V If that's true, then Summer really might be a jinx!

Valerian

Well, the network wasn't trying very hard.  They put it right after Chuck, and while I love that show -- it's basically the only television I watch -- it's also been struggling for ratings.  I can kind of see why they did that, since the two shows are aimed at a somewhat similar demographic, but from what I understand, the show before a new show can have a very big effect on ratings, and Chuck has all it can do to keep itself from getting cancelled.  It won't be of much help luring more viewers over to The Cape.

It isn't a bad show -- I watched the pilot, then I think I missed one or two, and saw it again this past Monday -- though I was surprised at how quickly they rushed through his origin.  But if it can stick around, and avoid some of the terrible mistakes that Heroes made, then it could be a good show.  Sadly, most people demand flash and glitz with their superpowers, so this low-level, more subtle stuff doesn't always fare well.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Dizzi

Well, apparantly the Neilson Rating system does not look at what shows people enjoy, but what shows people watch the ads in.  so seeing as how The Cape is most likely streamed/netflix'd most of the time (It's on Monday evenings.  Not the best time slot haha) people are not watching the ads meaning... Well... The show gets CHOPPED

Jag

Quote from: Valerian on February 02, 2011, 11:55:27 AM
...so this low-level, more subtle stuff doesn't always fare well.

That's what I like about it. V_V I have a feeling the 'climax' of the season will be Vince having to turn against the Carnival.

Valerian

Quote from: Dizzi on February 02, 2011, 12:12:26 PM
Well, apparantly the Neilson Rating system does not look at what shows people enjoy, but what shows people watch the ads in.  so seeing as how The Cape is most likely streamed/netflix'd most of the time (It's on Monday evenings.  Not the best time slot haha) people are not watching the ads meaning... Well... The show gets CHOPPED
I don't know how it normally works -- I mean, I know Nielson families get devices attached to their TVs to record what they watch, but I don't know any specifics -- but a year or two ago, I was one of the extra people they surveyed for sweeps week.  They sent me a booklet (and five dollars, cash, through the mail O.o) and I wrote down what I watched at what times.  There was also a section in the back for comments, where they encouraged you to write down anything else you thought they might like to know about your viewing habits.  At that time, I was still sometimes watching Bones online, since I can't get the channel it actually airs on, and I did make a note of that.

On the other hand, probably many people are watching The Cape through the NBC site, anyway, so they should know exactly how often it's been watched there.  If they don't take that into account, then they're just being silly.  :P

Quote from: Michi No Sora on February 02, 2011, 12:14:18 PM
That's what I like about it. V_V I have a feeling the 'climax' of the season will be Vince having to turn against the Carnival.

Yeah, me, too.  And that's one of the things that killed Heroes, in my opinion -- suddenly it wasn't enough for people to be able to pick up others' thoughts with effort.  They had to be able to sneak into people's minds, mess with their subconscious thoughts, and generally just take them over.  It was much more interesting when it was difficult and they were all just struggling to figure out what the heck was going on.  *sigh*
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Alika Luminos

Been watching...I think the show is great conceptually, but falls short in several places in the execution, so it definitely doesn't surprise me that ratings are bad.

I love James Frain to -death- and I think he is at his best when he's playing a villain.

I very much do not <3 Summer Glau. She drives me batshit crazy, and I think it's just remnants from Firefly where River drove me batshit crazy.

I also agree with Michi that we are likely to see some more tension with the Carnival and Vince.

Also, does anyone else who watches find it slightly creepy how he peeps in on his family? I mean, I -know- it's his family but...it's a bit unsettling how he manipulates his son. At least that's how I feel. >.<

Valerian

Quote from: Alika Luminos on February 02, 2011, 01:29:34 PM
Also, does anyone else who watches find it slightly creepy how he peeps in on his family? I mean, I -know- it's his family but...it's a bit unsettling how he manipulates his son. At least that's how I feel. >.<
I would rather the whole story arc with his family just went away, actually, or at least changed radically.  I realize that's how they keep him (and the plots) connected to everyday life so people can relate better, but it's just bothering me.  It's a little creepy, plus I'm already feeling a little beaten over the head with the angst, and I've only seen three episodes.  :P
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Jag

While online petitions usually don't do much, this is the first TV show that the hubby and I have agreed on liking and watching in a very long time. I hate to see it go. So...

Oniya

Quote from: Valerian on February 02, 2011, 12:48:37 PM
I don't know how it normally works -- I mean, I know Nielson families get devices attached to their TVs to record what they watch, but I don't know any specifics --

My mother-in-law has one of those devices.  Every so often, while the TV is on, it starts flashing, and she has to push a button on a remote.  I presume it sends the data at that point.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Callie Del Noire

I think execs don't really want to pay for ANY programming they don't have to. They micromanage things (case in point Firefly), change shows around to fill slots (the 'time slot of death' is typically seen as Friday), pre-empt them for things and generally try to pimp 'their ideas' over what might work. I mean look at Buffy, it was a filler another canceled show, both Family Guy and Futurama were killed despite good initial ratings.

If most of the execs on the big networks had their way, we'd have quick cheap over hyped reality tv and nothing else.

Alika Luminos

*gets a little emotional at the mention of Firefly, still not over it*

The other thing about this show (and others do this too), is that Vince has such a cute family and everyone is all pining for each other and such to tug at the heartstrings.

And then they go and make his 'sidekick' a hot chick (relative - see previous post for my opinion of Summer Glau - _ -), who seems to be getting closer and clooooooser as they go over their plans and such. I don't mind the side story with Vince's wife and her boss, because hey - she thinks he is dead. But Vince and Orwell just leave me feeling all twitchy and uncomfortable to the point where every time they get near each other I just want to shout out WIFE WIFE WIFE!