Dawn of an era

Started by Sardanapale, May 13, 2012, 12:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sardanapale

I think that since I was very little I’ve always dreamed of getting away from here. It’s not that my folk’s place is lame or what have you, but when you live in a world where you can actually gain magical powers, it’s really hard to just stay put and live in the very same place where you were born.

It comes and goes, naturally. I am very loved by and loving my family, so it’s not as if I’m rejected from my village. But there is more to life than just learning the tools of the trade from old Nasim, the village’s blacksmith. And now, with the festival just two days away, I’m feeling more restless than ever.

The festival is the annual gathering of people who plan on embarking on the journey to gaining magical powers. To do so, you must enter one of the several Nexus scattered in the kingdoms, and with a little luck, you rise up with new magical powers. Like I said, there are several nexus. The one closest to our village could give you the control over the elements, but I’ve heard of some people that have control over the animals, some that can change their shape at will, and some that are even more jarring.

That’s decided. Tomorrow, I’ll sneak into the main plaza, and I’ll join the travellers.
Then I’ll see who I’ll join or what will happen.

Yeah, tomorrow’s the day. I’ll make my own fate.

------------------------------

Dawn finds me wide awake. I couldn’t find sleep. I kept hearing voices in my head, from everyone I’ve ever known, expressing what I imagine their reactions will be when they understand what my plan is. But I can’t back down now. Not after all the work that went into securing my bag’s contents.
I rise carefully. As I dress in the morning’s light, I keep an hear out for the other habitants of the house. Nobody’s in the habit of rising early, but it wouldn’t do to be surprised so close to leaving. I fasten my headband, put my blacksmith’s apprentice gloves on, and spare half a smile at the thought that now, I’m a real journeyman.

I slip unnoticed into the morning air. The animals we keep are used to my comings and goings early in the morning, so they don’t betray me. As it is, I halfway expect all of the neighbors to hear my beating heart. I’m so stressed, I feel like my throat is parched, and I almost reach for the mater I carry in my bag before thinking of how I will need it on the journey.

Still silently, although the need is now gone, I walk the streets of the village to the main plaza, where the gathering is schedule to take place. We’re not supposed to leave at dawn, but it feels like I’m already stepping into a new world. Where I’ll make myself known.
This I promised, long ago.