INTEREST CHECK: City of the Drow (reboot) 3.5 DnD [14/?? spots filled]

Started by Zaer Darkwail, September 29, 2011, 06:38:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krayz

Kunoichi

Krayz

Then he'll say keep your money, but he'll keep doing it until you're knocked up with a.....

*tries to figure out what a full fiend plus a fiend-blooded equals*

A Two-Third-Fiend?

Kunoichi

...Yeah, not really the way I'm looking to take my character in this game. >>;

Krayz

Lmao.

I listed it in his character traits for a reason. Doesn't have to happen, but he'd be trying for it xD

Kunoichi

*wishes there was some sort of 'I'm actually kind of starting to get annoyed' emoticon for the internet* -.-

In that case, could we just skip out on the rape?  Or rather, wait and see if that sort of scenario develops naturally, rather than trying to force it through from the start?

PaleEnchantress

" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img

AngelicBlade

Kunoichi

...Yeah. >>; So, moving on...

I guess we'll be starting soon? ^^;

ulthakptah

How did the tally end on the feats? Should I add two more feats to my sheets?

Kunoichi

It was 4/4, then PeacethatPowerbrings added an extra vote for it (I think).  You shouldn't actually add the extra feats until Zaer answers, but with the way it's looking now, I don't think it'll hurt to at least pick them out. ^^

esclavage

And since we are on the concept of character optimization and to distract from another topic above me, I was wondering if any of our more experienced min/maxers wanted to glance at Lird'yl's sheet and give any tips.  I may or may not take them, depending on how well I feel that they fit with the character.  However, I did want to learn from the best and be amazed at the wealth of knowledge which seems to be concentrated in a few people's hands.   :-)

But the build I was attempting to go for was a Int-and-Cha based skill monkey who is useful as a "face".  It's one of the reasons that d'Szeossen has gold coming out of its proverbial ears.  However, she isn't so much in a full-out fight.  But she could do okay-ish in a fight with preparation, which I noted in the sheet (i.e. drinking potions, casting spells, stalking said character for damage bonus, doing a Knowledge check).  Essentially, she's a preparation character who probably can prepare for and win very specific battles which she controls an overwhelming advantage.  But where she's really lethal is in the social setting in terms of gaining influence, ferreting out secrets, and whatnot.

I saw pale kings and princes too // Pale warriors, death-pale were they all;
They cried—“La Belle Dame sans Merci hath thee in thrall!”  -- John Keats, 1884 

Writing Drabbles - Sampler Platter
Plot Ideas -  Darkstalkers, League of Legends, Drow, X-Men, Avengers, Pokemon!!!
Posting Order -  Check Here If You Write With Me!

Kunoichi

Well, the first thing that comes to mind is that Eye of Lolth loses way too many levels of casting. ^^; Looking into possible alternatives is going to take a little time, though.

esclavage

XD Well, admittedly that was my concern as well when I first drafted up this character.  But I've become largely content with the Eye of Lolth because I see my character as more of a rogue than a cleric.  And in turn most of the spells will tend to be utility as opposed to actually attempting to target my opponents.   Instead, I would have relied on my Hide in Plain Sight, sneak attacks plus any poison on my bolts to turn a fight in my favor.  Though if Lird'yl is fighting alone when I've severely screwed up. ;)

Although I do fully understand and actually do agree with what you were saying.  Initially, ulthakptah suggested to me that I make a cleric/rogue with a Sacred Outlaw feat, which would have let me have greater levels of spellcasting and yet also have been able to keep a rogue-ish theme.  It was tempting but I do like the Eye of Lolth for the Underdark theme.   So I wouldn't want you to spend too much time and energy, Kunoichi.  I was more of asking in the realm of tweaking/optimizing as opposed to complete and total rewrite.  Though at the same time, if you do enjoy those type of things, gof for it.  I just didn't want you to spend valuable time when I probably will stick the prestige class.   :-)

Plot Ideas -  Darkstalkers, League of Legends, Drow, X-Men, Avengers, Pokemon!!!

Kunoichi

Ah, I see.  Well, the only real alternatives I was able to find were Magical Trickster and Spellwarp Sniper from Complete Scoundrel, and if you don't care that much about the lost caster levels, I suppose it's alright.

As far as feats go...  Well, there are way better choices out there than Dodge, and there's an ACF in Player's Handbook 2 that you could take in place of Spontaneous Domains, if you wanted. ^^; I'm afraid it's a little too late at night at the moment for me to come up with good recommendations for replacements, though...

esclavage

Actually, the Dodge isn't my choice.  Nor the Cautious Attack.  Both are requirements for the Eye of Lolth, which actually hurts more than the lost caster levels in some ways.  If I had my way, I'd pick the Hand Crossbow feat in Drows of the Underdark and another archer skill like Precise Shot to emphasize the bow skills of Lird'yl since that'll be how she fights if she has to.  But I will look into the PHB II and see what else might be there as opposed to Spontaneous Domains.  Like I said, for the most part I felt content with what I had for a character sheet, but I did want to see if I was overlooking any wicked combo potentials.

PaleEnchantress

Even though your more rogue then cleric practiced spellcaster is a decent feat, your caster level wont take much of a hit then. Unless someone quickly turns up to vote against improved feat progression you'll probably have an extra feat slot anyway.
" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img

Kunoichi

Really?  My copy of the book only lists Cautious Attack as a prerequisite feat.

Ah, and PaleEnchantress is correct.  Practiced Spellcaster is a feat that you'd find very useful.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Snake on October 04, 2011, 05:58:29 PM
Aye.

But in the description it says basically anything that makes use of Mystra's Weave.

Yeah, which means the setting standard arcane/divine magic and including spell-alike abilities. As psionics also use same 'wave pattern' so psionic effects can be dispelled and so are affected by spellfire absortion. Only some weird exotic magic (binders, shadowcasters, true namers) would affect through spellfire absortion (and other supernatural effects).

Quote from: PaleEnchantress on October 04, 2011, 05:45:54 PM
Your character is very enticing...

Just friendly note AngelicBlade has bit problem handle gay sexual stuff in directly front of him so do not pressure him too much :P.

4 votes against pathfinder feat progress.

5 votes for pathfinder feat progress (counting in the player who desires the pathfinder feats and who has not yet posted vote for it).

Still waiting for some votes. Also we start in friday this game.

ofDelusions

Quote from: esclavage on October 04, 2011, 09:07:38 PM
And since we are on the concept of character optimization and to distract from another topic above me, I was wondering if any of our more experienced min/maxers wanted to glance at Lird'yl's sheet and give any tips.  I may or may not take them, depending on how well I feel that they fit with the character.  However, I did want to learn from the best and be amazed at the wealth of knowledge which seems to be concentrated in a few people's hands.   :-)

But the build I was attempting to go for was a Int-and-Cha based skill monkey who is useful as a "face".  It's one of the reasons that d'Szeossen has gold coming out of its proverbial ears.  However, she isn't so much in a full-out fight.  But she could do okay-ish in a fight with preparation, which I noted in the sheet (i.e. drinking potions, casting spells, stalking said character for damage bonus, doing a Knowledge check).  Essentially, she's a preparation character who probably can prepare for and win very specific battles which she controls an overwhelming advantage.  But where she's really lethal is in the social setting in terms of gaining influence, ferreting out secrets, and whatnot.

Firstly, I'd replace Trapsense with Death's Ruin ACF. Allows half sneak attack against undead and is thematically fitting for Matron mother.

Secondly I'd take feat Darkstalker. Otherwise tremorsense and comp will ruin your day.

Might not fit your character's theme, but Craven adds your level to Damage when sneak attacking, at cost of -2 to saves against fear effects.

Zaer Darkwail

Trap sense also can be replaced for arcane deflection which basically makes trap sense bonus as touch AC bonus vs spells. But then again if our matron mother sneaks anywhere there are traps then trap sense can help her avoid traps.

ofDelusions

Trapsense sucks. It only works if you actually walk into the trap and even then only if the trap uses attack roll or gives Reflex save. And then it only gives +1 (at Esclavage's case). Which means that it  saves you exactly 5% of the time.

It can save you, yes, but say Death's ruin usually saves you more often.

ulthakptah

Since she is a divine caster she can just prepare gravestrike. It's a first level spell that takes a swift action and lets you sneak attack and critical undead for one round. Lastly she could just buy a pair of death strike bracers. They cost 5000 and three time a day as a swift action you can sneak attack and critical things that normally can't be.

ofDelusions

Quote from: ulthakptah on October 05, 2011, 04:37:01 AM
Since she is a divine caster she can just prepare gravestrike. It's a first level spell that takes a swift action and lets you sneak attack and critical undead for one round. Lastly she could just buy a pair of death strike bracers. They cost 5000 and three time a day as a swift action you can sneak attack and critical things that normally can't be.

In which book are these bracers? o.o

I need them!

ulthakptah