Way of the Wicked (Pathfinder) Recruitment Thread

Started by Pointless Digression, December 10, 2012, 05:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pointless Digression

Quote from: Ryuka Tana on December 13, 2012, 03:00:40 PM
"Mostly I went for it because we needed more martial prowess than magical, and I like no-armor characters anyway. Plus, I love intelligent items."

He did have to talk me into it, though. I'm not sure there's a lot I can do story-telling wise with an intelligent sword permanently attached to the characters.

:hides his Elric books underneath his game notes:

Roketto

Quote from: Pointless Digression on December 13, 2012, 08:05:01 PM
He did have to talk me into it, though. I'm not sure there's a lot I can do story-telling wise with an intelligent sword permanently attached to the characters.

Hahaha...  Oh, intelligent magic items and their "special" purposes...

ManyMindsManyVoices

Quote from: Pointless Digression on December 13, 2012, 08:05:01 PM

"Ah yes, the endless back and forths we had over this... My inbox has nearly 2(!) more messages just because of all the time I had to spend convincing our stubborn GM to allow me this object."

Quote from: Shjade on December 13, 2012, 08:03:08 PM
Right. And you need to unlock all the archetypes to get the level 20 capstone. So yes, that is what they mean there.

The quoted material is also directly under the heading "Reaching 20th level"

@ExisD: I'm sure there's plenty of content, but I'm not worried about running out of content under such a model. I'm annoyed that it seems to be implying if I ever want to capstone a character I have to do some crazy (and likely impossible to solo) content to do so. I don't mind having inferior gear to the endgame grind type folks. I don't need all the purples to feel special. I do like to feel that I've "completed" a character, though.

Anyway, sorry for derailing the thread. x.x;

"Won't know what it really is til we see it in play, but there are so many crap tropes in MMOs that ruin the gameplay for me, that if they even do half the things they say it'll be steps in the right direction."
My O/Os * Everyone should read 1/0

This is the Oath of the Drake. You should take it.

Pointless Digression

Quote from: Ryuka Tana on December 13, 2012, 08:26:20 PM
"Ah yes, the endless back and forths we had over this... My inbox has nearly 2(!) more messages just because of all the time I had to spend convincing our stubborn GM to allow me this object."

What can I say? I'm a hard-ass GM.

Shjade

*starts working on a sheet 'cause even if I'm not in the game it's probably good practice messing with sheets*
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Pointless Digression on December 13, 2012, 08:32:11 PM
What can I say? I'm a hard-ass GM.

I can think of dozens of wonderful things to do with a hard ass.
" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img

Shjade

Question from the nooblord gallery:

Quote from: ExisD on December 12, 2012, 01:19:15 PM
Ability Scores: dice
Strength   16
Dexterity   15
Constitution 7   
Intelligence 18   
Wisdom   8
Charisma   18

When I follow that dice link I see the numbers 16, 13, 9 and 16. How does that come out to 16, 15, 7 and 18? Is there a step after rolling where you can move points around?
◕/◕'s

ExisD

Quote from: Shjade on December 13, 2012, 09:21:45 PM
Question from the nooblord gallery:

When I follow that dice link I see the numbers 16, 13, 9 and 16. How does that come out to 16, 15, 7 and 18? Is there a step after rolling where you can move points around?

16 strength, 13+2(race) dex, 9-2(race)con, 16+2(race)int. Her wis was the 8 and her cha the 18.

Shjade

◕/◕'s

Roketto

By the way, I am going to laugh my ass off if Jhonan ends up the only Human in the party.

ExisD

I can't remember for pathfinder. Which skill would tactical acumen, leading and strategy, fall under? I'm pretty sure it was knowledge nobility in 3.5

ManyMindsManyVoices

"Alright, Exis, welcome to the party!"

Quote from: Roketto on December 13, 2012, 09:39:05 PM
By the way, I am going to laugh my ass off if Jhonan ends up the only Human in the party.

"I almost never play humans as a PC, I get to do that every day. All things considered, Janus isn't that far off, he's more mortal than angel."

Quote from: ExisD on December 13, 2012, 09:42:30 PM
I can't remember for pathfinder. Which skill would tactical acumen, leading and strategy, fall under? I'm pretty sure it was knowledge nobility in 3.5

Shrug, "to me that's more an Int thing. Isn't there a Knowledge (Military) or something? I forget."

Roketto

Quote from: Ryuka Tana on December 13, 2012, 09:44:03 PM
"Alright, Exis, welcome to the party!"

"I almost never play humans as a PC, I get to do that every day. All things considered, Janus isn't that far off, he's more mortal than angel."

Shrug, "to me that's more an Int thing. Isn't there a Knowledge (Military) or something? I forget."

Ditto that, welcome!

Also, does Janus have the Scion of Humanity trait, or just fluffed that way?

And, either Int or Wis, not a knowledge check for it.  Profession (soldier) is what it's based off of, so Wis would be the appropriate stat.

ExisD

Thanks for the welcome. I hope you all treat me better than those guards,  :P .

I hope it'll be int because I was planning on her being a decent commander if she has time to plan, but bad when it comes down to immediate reactions.

ManyMindsManyVoices

Quote from: Roketto on December 13, 2012, 09:48:51 PM
Ditto that, welcome!

Also, does Janus have the Scion of Humanity trait, or just fluffed that way?

And, either Int or Wis, not a knowledge check for it.  Profession (soldier) is what it's based off of, so Wis would be the appropriate stat.

"He is actually a Scion of Humanity, he only knows Celestial because he's very smart, and he'd like to tell his father to fuck off in the prettiest language he knows his father knows before he murders that bastard... Thinking of that, I need to make a full profile for Janus soon."

Quote from: ExisD on December 13, 2012, 09:54:43 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I hope you all treat me better than those guards,  :P .

I hope it'll be int because I was planning on her being a decent commander if she has time to plan, but bad when it comes down to immediate reactions.

"Janus will happily treat you much better than those guards, especially if you'll share him. He does have a love of beautiful things, swords, clothes, gold, women."

"As for the other part, well, Janus is good in a tight spot... You decide what I mean by that."

Roketto

So far I can tell you, Rosita hasn't exactly ingratiated herself with Jhonan.  Loud, rambunctious, and already starting in with the insulting nicknames.

And Military-style strategy doesn't require book-smarts as much as it requires enough wisdom to learn from failures, and observe successes and learn from them.  That's just my take on it, though.

ExisD

Yeah, I'm imagining this as being about the worst day of her life and it was mostly caused by humans. Well that and while she is charismatic, she's also fairly rude.

ManyMindsManyVoices

"In the end, I think it's more important that you can pull it off out of character, so long as you're not way overreaching. No sapient beings mental capabilities can be described in two numbers and a handful of skills. Janus is more clever than 'smart', which is why you won't see me increasing his Knowledges that much. He can't have been in that prison more than an hour and he's already coming up with a number of plans for how to escape. Of course, right now, he doesn't know that he's going to, and he doesn't intend to plan an escape to get free, as much as a method of getting out of his chains and killing as many guards as he can before they kill him."

Quote from: ExisD on December 13, 2012, 10:08:42 PM
Yeah, I'm imagining this as being about the worst day of her life and it was mostly caused by humans. Well that and while she is charismatic, she's also fairly rude.

"I think an important issue with Charisma is that it has more to do with how much you affect people. A really irritating person can have a lot of Charisma, because you can't ignore them, I'm sure a lot of people know someone like that. Someone you want to get rid of, or stop thinking about, but they have some weird hold on you. To me, that's just as much about Charisma (in the DnD sense) as the guy who can charm or intimidate someone."

Roketto

Quote from: Ryuka Tana on December 13, 2012, 10:13:33 PM
"I think an important issue with Charisma is that it has more to do with how much you effect people. A really irritating person can have a lot of Charisma, because you can't ignore them, I'm sure a lot of people know someone like that. Someone you want to get rid of, or stop thinking about, but they have some weird hold on you. To me, that's just as much about Charisma (in the DnD sense) as the guy who can charm or intimidate someone."

Agreed.  The other thing is just because someone has high Charisma doesn't mean they're drop dead gorgeous.  It's a measure of force of personality, regardless of what that personality is.

ManyMindsManyVoices

"Oh shoot, I used 'effect' where it should have been 'affect'." Fixes.

"Anyway, yeah, if appearance is going to be a thing, it should really get its own stat. At the very least, Charisma should be separated into two categories, one for applied Charisma (someone who's good at talking to people and manipulating people) and 'presence' (someone who just 'feels' charismatic, whether their attractive or intimidating or whatever). I've been building systems in my head for a while now, though, so I think a lot about that kind of thing."

Roketto

Aaaand that's it for me tonight, folk.  I'm off to go grab dinner and see The Hobbit.  Don't leave me too far behind in the IC thread.

BraveEarth

Quote from: Ryuka Tana on December 13, 2012, 10:36:06 PM
"Oh shoot, I used 'effect' where it should have been 'affect'." Fixes.

"Anyway, yeah, if appearance is going to be a thing, it should really get its own stat. At the very least, Charisma should be separated into two categories, one for applied Charisma (someone who's good at talking to people and manipulating people) and 'presence' (someone who just 'feels' charismatic, whether their attractive or intimidating or whatever). I've been building systems in my head for a while now, though, so I think a lot about that kind of thing."

You're giving me oWoD flashbacks...

PaleEnchantress

" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img

ManyMindsManyVoices

Quote from: BraveEarth on December 13, 2012, 11:30:29 PM
You're giving me oWoD flashbacks...

"Well, I think the 'perfect' system lies somewhere between WoD, Pathfinder, and 4E and maybe GURPS."

Anon315

Throw in some Palladium for their alignment system, which I prefer.