Warhammer 40K & Fantasy - Questions inside.

Started by Hemingway, May 09, 2013, 11:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemingway

I know there are players around here - duh, there's another thread on Warhammer right around here somewhere - so I figured this might be a decent place to ask two questions I've been trying to puzzle out the answer to. I recently dropped by Games Workshop, and noticing that they'd finally released a new Tau Codex, decided I might dust off my old minis and give it a shot. I also decided it might be the time to try playing the Empire ( fantasy ), as I've wanted to for a while. Rather than make a separate thread for each, I figured I'd ask in one!

Tau question: I haven't had much luck with my army before. It was too static, and basically got ripped to shreds the few times I played it. With the new rules, I've been thinking of restructuring my whole army. I don't have an exact plan yet, but the idea I've been toying with is a force consisting mostly of infantry ( Fire Warriors, Pathfinders ), and Darkstrider as HQ, because who needs resilient commanders?, coupled with a strong air presence in the form of Razorsharks. I'm aiming for something like 1000 - 1500 points, so there's not that much more room.

My basic question is: Does anyone have any sort of experience with this combination of infantry and air? Real-life logic says it should be a pretty good combination. It may lack the punch necessary to take out really heavy armor, so I may force in either some Crisis Suits, Stealth Suits, or a Hammerhead. Or a Riptide.

If I do go with a Riptide, it will most likely be for anti-air purposes mainly. I'm very much into the idea of totally dominating the airspace, and strafing the ever-living crap out of the opponent's ground forces.

Empire question: When I visited Games Workshop, they tried to talk me into joining a 1500 point fantasy campaign. I have an army, but I'm sick of Dark Elves. I've toyed with the idea of an Empire army for a long time. I understand the Empire has some special rules concerning detachments and such, which ... I don't know the rules, but I've had some thoughts anyway. My hope is that some experienced Empire player will be able to point me in the right direction.

The basic idea is to get something like two cannons and a volley gun, along with a bunch of handgunners. I may also throw in some other shooty units, for the sake of it. The idea is to have a solid line of shooting units, and shield them with state troops and greatswords. Very straightforward. I may bring some pistoliers or outriders ( not sure which would be a better choice ) to slow down the enemy advance.

For the army's general, I have no idea. I do know that I'm not really that into wizards, and I want a witch hunter because they're fricking badass, and an engineer might be handy for artillery. But I have no idea what an army like this would run me in points. I mean to pick up the army book tomorrow, so there's that.

At any rate, this is just my very basic idea for a highly static and shooty Empire army. If anyone has thoughts on how to improve it so I don't get crushed immediately, feel free!