recruiting: Pathfinder Skulls and shackles AP second/third table LF2m

Started by Tamhansen, March 14, 2016, 06:47:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mysterica

As for which class to go with, I think that just about anything should be acceptable.  The players book for the path recommends any class as viable other than paladin so there is that.  So far you are the only one to express interest in any kind of arcane spell caster but for commando who has since directed her focus to a warrior type so witch sounds like a totally reasonable character choice. Anything else you decide on should be fine other than rogue as I've already worked up my own rogue using the

Further more as for recommended skills profession cook does seem like a good thing to get.
QuoteOther skills that will be helpful are Climb, Craft (sails), Craft (ships), Craft (siege engine), Knowledge (engineering), Knowledge (local), Profession (cook), Profession (siege engineer), and Swim.
After that most of the book mostly describes ship mechanics and ship to ship combat, how magic affects ships, and whatnot.  Worth a look, but I'd imagine most of it can be looked up as it becomes relevant to our characters.

Still a little bit of a work in progress (thinking of more equipment) but here is a rough look at my character Talindra.

TheSithChicken

I am definitely interested! Lots of cool options could be run with but I am a little tired at the moment to settle on a character idea. Though a Beastmorph alchemist could be interesting. Too tired for coherent thought. I'll try to get you an idea tomorrow.

TFcommando

Still torn between a blaster sorceress or a big two-handed weapon fighter, I'll work on some writeups and see who jumps out at me more.  In either case, a heavy damage type though.
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in
Canon Character Roleplay and System-based Roleplay

freeko

I could give you a Paladin build for a 2 handed weapon user. Though it would need adjusting since Paladins in this module in particular are difficult to play. However I would think the baseline could be used with another class in mind with other adjustments made. It still leaves you with a character that will obliterate the battlefield either way.

Tamhansen

@TFCommando. Another way to go with that is a bloodrager. A barbarian that from level 4 gets sorceress spells. A little less blasterlike than a sorceress, but imagine a big warrior woman with a huge sword that can cast enlarge person, shield and bull's strength on herself every time she rages into battle.
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

Autocad

No mermaids then. How about a skinwalker? (Sharkgirl!)

freeko

If I were to make a 2 handed hacker, here is how I would go about it.

Human: (Insert Class here)

STR   16
DEX   11
CON  14
INT    8
WIS   7
CHR   16

With the Human Bonus stats, I would since I play a Paladin every time ever put it into CHR to make the Paladin things more Paladin. This allows you to get into the fray and just slug it out as you heal yourself in battle with a lay on hands as a swift action. IF you are not a Paladin which most of you make the mistake of picking the wrong classes in pathfinder, you could consider most likely tossing your hat in on extra STR and just cleaving through the battlefield. You ideally want to be taking hits since you want the enemies to be attacking you instead of your allies, when they realize they cannot hit you if you go too high in AC, you will realize that it is harder to keep things on you.

The lowered INT will give you a slight dilemma between going for the extra HP or the extra skill rank, but given you are there for your combat prowess first I would suggest supplementing your strength by adding the extra HP instead of bothering with the glaring weakness in your skills. There are just too many holes to fill and not enough skill points here to fill them.

You certainly want Power Attack as one of your feats, and I think it is preference as to getting Cleave or Furious Focus as the second feat. Cleave will allow you to break through the initial target and possibly hit a secondary target, while Furious Focus will give you no drawback for Power Attack's first use in a turn.

Everything else is up to you for how you want to build the character past that point. I would recommend a Falchion as the weapon of choice, but anything two handed will likely suffice. Traits and all are totally up to whoever uses this mold to cast their character. I can help further if a "new" player just wants to ginsu through the opposition using this template. I would prefer to do that in pm however.

Phaia

I personally have always had problems with abilities below 10, save at times a 9 strength for a non melee type. I find it very limiting as a roleplayer to play someone that is dull and dimwitted. I know many players seem to ignore the lowered mental abilities and play a character like that as normal. As a GM I have forced players to adhere to written and suggested guidelines on say
a 8 int --- "roll to see if you can remember the plan"
8–9   –1   Troglodyte, centaur, gnoll   Has trouble following trains of thought, forgets most unimportant things

or a 7 wis --- the classic Leroy Jenkins all the time
6–7   –2   Gibbering abomination, blood orc, ifrit   Seems to have almost no common sense

This is just me of course and I have no problems roleplaying with a character like that just to see how someone could make it work.

Phaia

Tamhansen

Personally If I was going to make something hacky and human I'd still opt bloodrager.

Attributes
Str 16 (18 with human bonus)
Dex 10
Con 14
Int 10
Wis 10
Cha 14

Rage for 7 rounds means Str and Con go up another 4 each. More at higher level. Will save goes up as well negating the low wis. Ac goes down a bit, but with the massive HP pool that's soakable.

Take the arcane bloodline, so you get buffs on yourself when you rage.
take the primalist archetype so you can trade bloodline powers you don't want for rage powers you do.

For weapon Falchion is indeed a good choice. Or just go for an oldfashioned greatsword, hammer, axe or whatever tickles your pickle.
ons and offs

Tamhansen

Oh and for feats, i'd start out with at least improved initiative. With low AC you want to hit first, especially since you have a chance of instakilling most mobs you fight.

As for the skinwalker, autocad, I'll surely consider it.
ons and offs

Phaia

Quote from: Tamhansen on March 16, 2016, 10:16:17 AM
Oh and for feats, i'd start out with at least improved initiative. With low AC you want to hit first, especially since you have a chance of instakilling most mobs you fight.

I would also add in a  Trait that gives you an initiative bonus
Reactionary
You were bullied often as a child, but never quite developed an offensive response. Instead, you became adept at anticipating sudden attacks and reacting to danger quickly.

Benefit: You gain a +2 trait bonus on initiative checks.

With the feat and trait you get a +6 Initiative which should get you going first most rounds!!

Phaia

Tamhansen

Yep.

If you really want to be cheeky, take the adopted social trait. Then pick warrior of old

Then you still get to pick another combat trait like dirty fighter

Don't tell the GM though :P
ons and offs

RubySlippers

Any room for a Monkey Goblin Kineticist, bet you didn't see that coming as a potential pirate. Once new players had a chance to sign on I don't want to displace anyone since I'm in the other game.

Chulanowa

...And now I want to see an al-goblins pirate game.

"Use fire! Use fire! No! Wait! Auuuugh! hafta put out fire with BIGGER FIRE!"

Autocad

I got a couple of images for inspiration for a skinwalker sharkgirl. What do y'all think?

Images

(Ignore the tail of the left one, going with two legs if it ends up with her being chosen)

TheSithChicken

I've just been tossing ideas around. A couple of ideas as follows. I might not end up proposing any of these but they are what i have tossed around at the moment.

- Aquatic elf (or possibly a Deep One Hybrid) Beastmorph Alchemist who goes sharky when he uses the mutagen

- Monkey Goblin Unchained Rogue with an affinity for knives and saps

- Deep One Hybrid Shark Totem Druid

- Deep One Hybrid (or maybe Lizard Folk) Brawler Fighter Archetype

And why the love for Deep One Hybrids you might ask? Because Shadows Over Innsmouth is my favorite story of all time and this might be the only campaign I can play one in.

DeviantMunster

Tamhansen

third party products. Sorry, it's a term so ubiquitous in pathfinder I sometimes forget not everyone uses it.
Basically anything made by Paizo tends to go no questions asked. Anything from another publisher tends to be disallowed unless I can be convinced.
ons and offs

DeviantMunster

TheSithChicken

Any preferences on my ideas? Questions? They are all kinda stalemating in my head.

Tamhansen

Be careful of those concepts that rely heavily on being in the water. There will be fights in water. But fights out of the water are about 85% at least. Ship to ship, town assault/coastal raids, treasure hunts.
ons and offs

TheSithChicken

The only one that really does that is the Shark Totem Druid. It won't matter to any of the others where things occur except for the Deep One Hybrid's little drawback. Which from what little I know of Skulls and Shackles shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Chulanowa

Quote from: DarkPrince on March 16, 2016, 04:04:25 PM
The only one that really does that is the Shark Totem Druid. It won't matter to any of the others where things occur except for the Deep One Hybrid's little drawback. Which from what little I know of Skulls and Shackles shouldn't be too much of an issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tTHn2tHhcI

TFcommando

Quote from: Phaia on March 16, 2016, 10:07:36 AM
I personally have always had problems with abilities below 10, save at times a 9 strength for a non melee type. I find it very limiting as a roleplayer to play someone that is dull and dimwitted. I know many players seem to ignore the lowered mental abilities and play a character like that as normal. As a GM I have forced players to adhere to written and suggested guidelines on say
a 8 int --- "roll to see if you can remember the plan"
or a 7 wis --- the classic Leroy Jenkins all the time
This is just me of course and I have no problems roleplaying with a character like that just to see how someone could make it work.

Phaia

I agree with you there... I hate having mental dumpstats for that reason.  Though it's also the reason I don't like barbarians... the rage feature that turns off parts of your brain doesn't appeal. 

So far I have two notions:

A sorceress with the elemental fire bloodline for lots of blasting and the "barely-clad, naughty mage" concept, one who might not be from the Shackles at all, but arrived recently seeking lore (as there's a lore-seeking background).  Possibly with a devil-touched background to explain the fire instead of an elemental, but that's just flavor.

Big, buff, Amazonian fighter with a big sword or axe, two-handed wielder.  Probably human, unless I can somehow make a balanced minotaur or minotaur-like race.  While this is a friendly game, I've read that fighters are very low on the class tier... and she'd just be wearing light armor, which is letting an important class feature go unused.

Also, DM question: Are we using background skills?
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in
Canon Character Roleplay and System-based Roleplay

Tamhansen

i was originally going to say no there, but I've decided we are going to use them.
ons and offs