News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Exalted (Mostly an Interest Check)

Started by AlexStone, June 19, 2011, 11:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexStone

So, I've been wanting to run a good Exalted game for a while, though time has been a problem.  I think I might be able to make time, but before I do, I think it best to gauge interest in the forum and see if this is the right place to run it.  I'd like to lay out some principles I would like to see from players and characters in the course of the game, then some of the framing ideas I have for making the game work. 

First, principles:

1) Even though this is being advertised as an adult game, it's still Exalted, not Sexxxalted.  Not that I'm opposed to some sexual content, or the exploration of more adult matters.  Let's be honest, sex is supposed to be a noticeable part of the world of Exalted, but it's not likely to really get in too many games- such things can make people uncomfortable.  I think we can duck this a bit here,  but, it's still not an Essence fueled orgy.

2) Let's plan for everyone to post a couple to three times a week, and with a certain level of content.  I'm not saying you'll need to write with the goal of being as over the top, in length or grandiloquence, as the Exalted themselves, but just a quick dash of a few words won't help all that much, so be prepared to put at least a little something in there.  Also, proofread a bit, know how to put together words into sentences, etc., etc..

3) This is really a big one, for me.  I need players to be creative, and characters to be proactive.  Exalted is a big, strange world.  I can't keep everything straight all the time, so I need to rely on you.  If you need something, put it in there, preferably with a good hook to start a story.  Need an artifact that isn't already out there?  Feel free to just insert it into the story, with a problem or two on how to get it.  There's no need to always rely on me.  The same with NPCs- please make them up, interact with them, write some dialogue and actions for them and what all else needs doing to move the story forward.  Characters should be out doing things, not the sort who wait for the world to come to them.  If you're worried that you're taking things too far, send a PM or post in OOC.

4)  I'd like it if players could take on an NPC from time to time.  One of my weaknesses is keeping NPCs fresh, and having some help in this department will make the story and game work better.

Still around?  Plot ideas, then.  These are generally in order of preference, but I'd be happy to do what the people want.

1) Nothing Ever Happens in the Lap.  The PCs would be Dragon-Bloods in the Lap, the most boring Satrapy in Creation.  But, this won't last long, with the Scarlett Empress missing, civil war in the offing, and the Anathema stalking the South in increasing numbers.  Will you pursue power, protect the people, serve your House, or just stay alive.

2) The Standard Game:    The PCs would be a Circle of Solars (Or as near to it as possible) who take over a chunk of Creation, and then face off against a major existential threat to Creation.  Place and major threat to be determined by the players in consultation with the storyteller.

3) The Broken Circle:  This is last because it's the hardest, really.  It would require a good deal of buy-in and work by the players and ST to make it work, and would need a good level of commitment.  The game would center around a Circle of Solars whose souls have been, for the most part, split up by the forces that engineered the destruction of the Jade Prison.  Thus, some are Solars, some Abyssals and some Infernals.  PCs could be any of these, Lunar mates or Sidereals drawn into the Circle's business.  Each PC would essentially follow their own plot thread, which would slowly but surely weave more and more tightly into the others as it moved to a (Probably predetermined) climax.  Potentially the best, definitely the hardest. 

So, anyone else interested?  Which game would work the best, do you think?

HairyHeretic

Number 2 could tie in to the Return of the Scarlett Empress, if you have that book.

Given the speed that forum based games tend to move, do you see the players already controlling territory, or would that be handled in game?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Muse

*POUNCE!!!!!!* 

Interested! 

Insert fiifteen minutes of inane babble here that amounts too, "How can I possibly persuade you to Please, Please, Please do exactly what you're offering to do?" here. 

And the first two stories you suggest are more interesting to me than the third, but any exalted I don't have to run is a gift from heaven!!!
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Lady Elena

If you are able to get a group together I'm more than willing and able to put in a creative voice!  I have a lot of the course material, as well, so will have the ability to fall back on it if need be.  Please keep me updated!

My input:

With a new group of people working together, and with your self-announced NPC weakness (Please don't take that as an insult) I think it best to stay with a standard story until all the players know how the others work and you have a good handle on what each likes/dislikes.  You may find yourself suddenly very confortable and confident, perhaps even inspired to create new NPCs that will go to places you never dreamed they would before.  The great thing about writing with a partner, or multiple partners, is that you can work together to keep the NPCs fresh and exciting as long as you are on the same page about who/what the NPC is.  I'd say stick with the Circle of Solars.  There are ample possibilities for fun and excitement through the Solars, and they are hardly boring.  There is also possibility to interact with the Dragon Blooded, which ties in to Scenario 1.  You can also bring in the other Exalted types if you want later down the line, once we are all comfortable with one another.  I hesitate with Scenario 3 only because it might lose drive halfway through if the plots do not weave together properly.  One person stops posting, someone loses interest, momentum is lost, and the SL unravels to nothing.  Each individual thread would be as important as the other, versus the Circle working together and able to interact amongst each other while still interacting outside the circle.  A way we worked it in a Campaign I was in was the five Solars were actually reborn from the First Age, and brought together again.  They'd worked together then, and the Sidereals wanted them to work together now that the Empress was missing.  I'm not saying to do that, but there are so many ways to go about making it different than just having five people in a group. 

Good luck.
PLEASE BE PATIENT.  I live in a place where it snows in October, and between no electricity and a busted water heater, life has been kind of hectic.  I WILL get to our scenes. Please see my Apologies Thread for more info.

ONs & OFFs:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=106488.0 (Updated 5.27.11)

Scene Ideas: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=106577.0

Apologies: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=108093.msg4694974#msg4694974

Cold Heritage

I'm interested. I would prefer a standard game.

With principle number 3, I'm kind of wary. I think the thing that keeps me from being proactive a lot of the time is - and take this for what it is, I don't know if we'd be starting characters or not - that I'm worried about getting into a situation where my posts writes a cheque that my character sheet cannot cash. My preference lies with playing warrior types, and even with what one gets in the errata'd character creation I find myself ill-inclined to pass over something that makes my character a doughty warrior in favour of something that allows him to be a better speaker or leader of men. It's all well and good for me to try and make a rousing, impassioned speech . . . but with no social charms and 5 dice it's not likely I'd be staring at enough successes to get someone to agree with him that the sky's blue. You know what I mean?

The other thing is that I'd like some sort of intervention as to why the players are together. And I'd like them to be together. It's grand, I suppose, to have everyone tooling around in their own corner of Creation, but at that point it's really just five solo games with the same guy in charge of all of them, if you ask me. I'm down with the Cult of the Illuminated and the Sidereals trying to push us around like tykes in short pants.

I'm also somewhat unsure about facing an existential threat. I'd rather knock down someone more manageable first, especially since existential threats probably have 6+ Essence and since Essence is age capped it'll be too much unless you handwave that away.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

AlexStone

Quote from: HairyHeretic on June 20, 2011, 07:55:17 AM
Number 2 could tie in to the Return of the Scarlett Empress, if you have that book.

Given the speed that forum based games tend to move, do you see the players already controlling territory, or would that be handled in game?

I'm honestly willing to roll either way on it.  I think you may have a point, though, that getting into the more meaty part of the plot would be a good idea.  (Unless people are really dying to exercise the ability of Solars to take over mortal societies.  I'm not dying to do that, other than as, basically, a warmup.)  This would require the following:
1) A little more background work on the characters.
2) Some pre-game plotting to figure out just what they've put together.
3) A decision about just what direction we're in.

The Yozi Reclamation is definitely on the short list of disasters to fight.  Depending on Direction, too, a Deathlord may make the best antagonist.  Or all of it at once, if we like complicated stuff.

Quote from: Lady Elena on June 20, 2011, 02:04:05 PM
If you are able to get a group together I'm more than willing and able to put in a creative voice!  I have a lot of the course material, as well, so will have the ability to fall back on it if need be.  Please keep me updated!

My input:

With a new group of people working together, and with your self-announced NPC weakness (Please don't take that as an insult) I think it best to stay with a standard story until all the players know how the others work and you have a good handle on what each likes/dislikes.  You may find yourself suddenly very confortable and confident, perhaps even inspired to create new NPCs that will go to places you never dreamed they would before.  The great thing about writing with a partner, or multiple partners, is that you can work together to keep the NPCs fresh and exciting as long as you are on the same page about who/what the NPC is.  I'd say stick with the Circle of Solars.  There are ample possibilities for fun and excitement through the Solars, and they are hardly boring. 
Good luck.

This is fine advice, and I appreciate it- you're talking about being a creative voice.  Would you like that voice to be through a character in the game, or in another role?

Quote from: Cold Heritage on June 20, 2011, 09:47:08 PM
With principle number 3, I'm kind of wary. I think the thing that keeps me from being proactive a lot of the time is - and take this for what it is, I don't know if we'd be starting characters or not - that I'm worried about getting into a situation where my posts writes a cheque that my character sheet cannot cash. My preference lies with playing warrior types, and even with what one gets in the errata'd character creation I find myself ill-inclined to pass over something that makes my character a doughty warrior in favour of something that allows him to be a better speaker or leader of men. It's all well and good for me to try and make a rousing, impassioned speech . . . but with no social charms and 5 dice it's not likely I'd be staring at enough successes to get someone to agree with him that the sky's blue. You know what I mean?

The other thing is that I'd like some sort of intervention as to why the players are together. And I'd like them to be together. It's grand, I suppose, to have everyone tooling around in their own corner of Creation, but at that point it's really just five solo games with the same guy in charge of all of them, if you ask me. I'm down with the Cult of the Illuminated and the Sidereals trying to push us around like tykes in short pants.

I'm also somewhat unsure about facing an existential threat. I'd rather knock down someone more manageable first, especially since existential threats probably have 6+ Essence and since Essence is age capped it'll be too much unless you handwave that away.

As to your first concern, if we follow HairyHeretic's notion and start of a little into the plot, there would be some XP already down on the table in character creation.  Also, stunt dice like candy for awesome speechifying.  Third, I don't roll unless the outcome is in doubt.  If you remove the doubt with good RP, why roll?  If you're still nervous about the principle, let's work on finding a solution.

I like your idea about the group being together from the get go- this is a little unusual, so there should be a reason.  Do we want that known and settled, or do we prefer making that a mystery to explore?

As to the third, I don't see the big bad showing up on your doorstep in the first act.  There would be some building, some hints and harrying long before that.  You're not going to go mano-a-mano with the First and Forsaken Lion right out of the box.  And, that said, being suggestive as players, like an OOC statement that "Wow, we really need a story to get an artifact of power that can handle some of this!" helps me help you. 

Also, since you're Solars who run a kingdom in creation, an intermediate story of "The Empire would like to try to wipe you out" is useful- would people be opposed to that?

(My own bather follows)

So, listening to the feedback so far, it sounds like we're leaning towards the Circle Game concept.  Unless someone swoops in with a major objection, I propose to move forward on that basis.  I don't think we need to have a full circle of Solars, meaning A) We don't need to sit around to start for the game to fill, and B) The other circlemates would just be great antagonists. 

The next question is which direction to base ourselves in.  I feel pretty comfortable with the South and West, though the Scavenger Lands is not a bad place, either.  I don't feel as comfortable with the North, and even lest with the East.  An interesting kingdom might just be unifying the Neck.  If we start with the work basically done- the Neck unified, but not consolidated- we have a lot of neat fiddling we can do all around, a couple of easy plots to start on, and then move to other things. 

Third question I have, right now at least, is do you want to settle on the big bad now, in the open, or just let me settle it and keep it a big hairy secret?

I'm getting a lot of ideas from this discussion, so thanks!

Muse

Personally, I have my share of Western games right now.  I'd enjoy the South.  (Not sure how you distinguish the Scavenger Lands from the rest of the East.) 

A group of dragon blooded adversaries trying to take us down sounds like a nice solid start. 

I'm also just fine facing off against a Deathlord.  Some of my favorites, regionally: 

South:  First and Forsaken Lion.  Princess Magnificent with Coral Lips and Robes of Black Feathers. 
Scavenger Lands:  Walker in Darkness.  (He doesn't get half the screen time he deserves.) 
West:  The Silver Prince/Bhodsitava Anointed by Dark Waters is an excellent choice as well as the 'only' choice.  I also like the Bishop of the Chalcedony Thurble for a Neck area antagonist. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Cold Heritage

Quote from: AlexStone on June 20, 2011, 10:07:25 PM
I'm honestly willing to roll either way on it.  I think you may have a point, though, that getting into the more meaty part of the plot would be a good idea.  (Unless people are really dying to exercise the ability of Solars to take over mortal societies.  I'm not dying to do that, other than as, basically, a warmup.)  This would require the following:
1) A little more background work on the characters.
2) Some pre-game plotting to figure out just what they've put together.
3) A decision about just what direction we're in.

The Yozi Reclamation is definitely on the short list of disasters to fight.  Depending on Direction, too, a Deathlord may make the best antagonist.  Or all of it at once, if we like complicated stuff.

For my part, I would enjoy making at least the attempt to hash out all of those things. I think it would be great, for example, if a politically oriented character with ambitions for power heard of my character's martial exploits and came to recruit him. There's a lot of fodder in something like that, I think, and it's a good tie-in and relationship builder. I wouldn't mind being, say, Zhang Fei to someone else's Liu Bei - or something along those lines. It could go the other way, too, with my character being a grand warrior seeking a worthwhile lord to serve - not some petty Hundred Kingdoms lord with scarcely a dozen fighting men to his name or a fat merchant who plays at nobility.

And then figuring out the sort of kingdom they went on to make would be fun too. I guess as long as we don't end up playing Exalted: SimCity Edition.

Quote from: AlexStone on June 20, 2011, 10:07:25 PMAs to your first concern, if we follow HairyHeretic's notion and start of a little into the plot, there would be some XP already down on the table in character creation.  Also, stunt dice like candy for awesome speechifying.  Third, I don't roll unless the outcome is in doubt.  If you remove the doubt with good RP, why roll?  If you're still nervous about the principle, let's work on finding a solution.

I think really the best way to put me at ease would be to just try to relax, breathe, and play it out. It's just a worry about not having dice, either, but about whether I can earn that delicious, delicious candy. The bar seems to be - understandably - higher for this kind of thing given the medium. I suppose I can always ask to move some points around after the fact if need be, or just try to be better at maneuvering my character into a position where someone else covers his weak flanks.

Quote from: AlexStone on June 20, 2011, 10:07:25 PMI like your idea about the group being together from the get go- this is a little unusual, so there should be a reason.  Do we want that known and settled, or do we prefer making that a mystery to explore?

Personally, I'm not sure I could role play well without knowing the reason the group's together if the group is in fact together.

Quote from: AlexStone on June 20, 2011, 10:07:25 PMAs to the third, I don't see the big bad showing up on your doorstep in the first act.  There would be some building, some hints and harrying long before that.  You're not going to go mano-a-mano with the First and Forsaken Lion right out of the box.  And, that said, being suggestive as players, like an OOC statement that "Wow, we really need a story to get an artifact of power that can handle some of this!" helps me help you. 

Lots of experience and ignoring that "you must be this old" rule for Essence advancement would be helpful too. Otherwise we will hit a power ceiling and when guys who have more Essence than us are laughing as they curbstomp us with Newb-Pwning Prana and their 'It's 1000 Years Too Early For You To Even Think of Challenging Me!' combo.

Quote from: AlexStone on June 20, 2011, 10:07:25 PMAlso, since you're Solars who run a kingdom in creation, an intermediate story of "The Empire would like to try to wipe you out" is useful- would people be opposed to that?

The Realm's kind of a tricky thing. After that one House got wrecked by the Bull, it certainly feels like it could be done to go up against a Great House and come out on top, but I'm not sure that we'd get a straight fight after the way that one House got wrecked by the Bull. And unless the Empress does come back and start throwing her weight around to crush our Super Happy Fun Time Just Magnificent Co-Prosperity Solar Monarchy Union Republic Go! country, I'm not sure we'd get the whole Realm on us. If it's the whole Realm against us, I'd have to go with fairly firm opposition, because that kind of contest we'd either be at forever, or we'd just eventually lose. Even though the Realm's being torn in a thousand different directions, a fraction of their united war machine - even rife with corruption and deliberate inefficiencies - is still something a Circle backed kingdom can't really fight against for any significant time.

If we're fighting one of the Great Houses, I'm tentatively unopposed.

If I'm way off base and the Empire is another faction entirely . . . well, I dunno.

Quote from: AlexStone on June 20, 2011, 10:07:25 PMSo, listening to the feedback so far, it sounds like we're leaning towards the Circle Game concept.  Unless someone swoops in with a major objection, I propose to move forward on that basis.  I don't think we need to have a full circle of Solars, meaning A) We don't need to sit around to start for the game to fill, and B) The other circlemates would just be great antagonists. 

I'm okay without there being a full circle (or is it a perfect circle when you have one of each Caste?). Though I'd really rather not antagonize or be antagonized by other player characters.

Quote from: AlexStone on June 20, 2011, 10:07:25 PMThe next question is which direction to base ourselves in.  I feel pretty comfortable with the South and West, though the Scavenger Lands is not a bad place, either.  I don't feel as comfortable with the North, and even lest with the East.  An interesting kingdom might just be unifying the Neck.  If we start with the work basically done- the Neck unified, but not consolidated- we have a lot of neat fiddling we can do all around, a couple of easy plots to start on, and then move to other things. 

I'm not really interested at all in the West proper; anything past Ang-Teng and my eyes glaze over and all I can think about is that there is an island that produces zombie sex slaves for export to other islands and the mainland of Creation (information so crucial that they cut rules for ship to ship combat to fit it in!).

Anywhere in the South would probably be okay. As long as it's not like, Somewhere Always On Fire And You Take 5L Fire Damage Per Tick, Unrolled, No I'm Being Totally Serious Here Land.

Quote from: AlexStone on June 20, 2011, 10:07:25 PMThird question I have, right now at least, is do you want to settle on the big bad now, in the open, or just let me settle it and keep it a big hairy secret?

I think if we knew now we could be more better proactive and our contributions/requests for direction could be better focused. It's really cool and all to try and get all the stuff to make a sword to kill a Deathlord (or something suitably overwrought and pretentious like WW wants us to have), but then when the big bad if Ketchup Carjack hopped up on celestial cocaine using every Sidereal martial art there is while riding on the back of the Kukla, it's not really ideal (though I would guess if you saw us building towards means to mess up a Deathlord you'd bait and switch as best you could to accommodate, but I'm hopeful you can take my meaning).

Quote from: Muse on June 20, 2011, 10:48:59 PM
(Not sure how you distinguish the Scavenger Lands from the rest of the East.) 

Well, they gave the Scavenger Lands its own book in both editions, and the Compass of Terrestrial Directions series has a separate book for the East.

HairyHeretic

If we're going up against the Realm I'd want to be taking over Lookshy and making a start on reclaiming Denandsor :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

meikle

QuoteLots of experience and ignoring that "you must be this old" rule for Essence advancement would be helpful too. Otherwise we will hit a power ceiling and when guys who have more Essence than us are laughing as they curbstomp us with Newb-Pwning Prana and their 'It's 1000 Years Too Early For You To Even Think of Challenging Me!' combo.

Solars can use Essence 7 magic by Essence 5, and their core 'kill things without getting killed' magic is all below that.

Also I think I counted five people posting in this thread but I really love Exalted and so I could not stop myself from reading everything and saying that I have an interest in playing Exalted.  I mean, you might be full up on interested parties by now, but if you're not ... !
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

AlexStone

So, I think I will reply generally, rather than to specific cases.  Some of this will be summary, some of this proposal, some of this requests for inputs.

1) I'm not playing a character here, so we have had five people express interest in playing.  Assuming everyone who expressed an interest will come through, I think we have our five solars.  I leave it to the five who have jumped in here to say if we want to let more people in- if there are others who want to come in, they could easily play a Sidereal adviser, a Lunar mate (Or just an interested party) or, if they didn't mind the power difference, a major Dragon-Blooded who works for the Solars.  So, question for those who have expressed an interest: 1) Still in so far? 2) Close it with the Circle, or leave recruitment open as long as the others are willing to take non-Solar roles. 

2) I think that starting after the nation building makes sense.  To that end, I think it would be good to have a little prologue thread.  I think that we could write this collaboratively, as if it were a chapter from a history written after the fact.  This would tell the story of how the group got together and conquered their kingdom.  That leaves open the question as to the real reason why they got together- it seemed like a good idea at the time?  Lytek left just enough sense of each other from the First Age to bring them together?  The machinations of the Bronze Faction, and, if so, do the Solars know about it?  Or is this a mystery best left explored in the game, and I should define this aspect of it myself?

3) As to characters, I would ask for, in addition to the usual character stuff, a little bit more from you in terms of relationships: I'd like for each of you to define three major relationships: A Rival, An Ally, and A Friend/Lover. A rival is someone you compete with- for prestige, for victory, to see who can sleep with the most interesting thing, whatever.  NB: It can be a friendly or deadly rivalry!  An Ally is a person who has their own agenda, but you have good reasons to work together for now.  A Friend/Lover is someone whom you trust, and will work with you more from loyalty and interest, so long as the nature of the relationship is respected.  One of these can (Perhaps should?) come from the Circle.  The others don't need to be defined too heavily- a few sentences about what sort of Exalt they are, (They probably are one, honestly) and the nature of your relationship. 

I'd like to have one from each Caste, personally.  If people wouldn't mind posting a little about what character they want to play- doesn't need to be a sheet, but a little bit about the Caste, concept, etc.  That way people can see if they want this character as one of their major relationships.  As to Caste preferences overlapping, it'll be first come, first served if there isn't some way to create mutual agreement. 

4) I have three campaign frames- this is mostly brainstorming, so things can be tweaked or ditched as needed.  I'm interested as to which people like.  I'm not saying "You must choose one of these!" but I am trying to get us moving towards a game.

A) The Solar Kingdom of Nexus. 
Guess what?  It turns out the Emissary of Nexus was just some jumped up mortal with a cool artifact.  It was enough to cow the mortals and impress the Dragon-Blooded, but with a Circle- or a near circle- of Solars on the case, it turned out to be less of an issue.  Sure, the artifact was destroyed in the fighting, but, with him out of the way, the Solars could reorganize the city to their needs, and turned it into a much more effectively run- and rich!- kingdom.  Needless to say, this was becoming an issue for the rest of the Scavenger Lands. 
Immediate Threat: Dragon-Bloods from the Realm trying to rally the River Confederacy against Nexus.
Big Bad: The Mask of Winters.
Complicating Factor: The machinations of the Guild.

B) The Solar Kingdom of Gem.
Gem has wealth beyond the dreams of avarice.  It probably isn't wealth beyond the dreams of the Solars:  They can dream really, really big.  Considering the mineral wealth and it's proximity to the Wyld, this was a good place to begin the process of establishing a serious manufacturing base, since the internal problems had been solved.  This means dreaming big, and when you dream big next to the Wyld...
Immediate Threat: The Fair Folk think you're interesting, and close to their home territory.
Big Bad: The First and Forsaken Lion.
Complicating Factor: The Yozis have plans for Gem.

C) The Solar Kingdom of Chiaroscuro. 
The Next age rises, like the Phoenix, from the ruins of the First.  Drawn by great memories of the past, a circle of Solars descended on the place and, in an alliance with Grandmother, made the city into a mighty Empire, uniting the nomads and the city-folk.  The speed of it all stunned all of the South, and their power made them a major player all over Creation.
Immediate Threat: A Great House has decided that eliminating you will make them look powerful in their struggle for the Jade Throne.  Your wealth won't hurt much either! 
Big Bad: The Yozi Reclamation.
Complicating Factor: Lunars allied with Ahlat. 

I have some things to say about XP, but we can wait on that.

Action List:
(You don't have to do it all in one post, but please try to complete these steps with a little speed.)

1. Declare Interest, Roll Join Game.
2. Express any opinion you have on game size, Solars only, if any.  (If no opinion, please so state.)
3. Consider  your character.  Post Caste, description of strengths and weaknesses, some personality notes.  A paragraph or two will work.  Consider Rival, Ally and Friend options, but consider leaving a slot open for a circlemate.
4.  Express an opinion on their being a bigger reason as to why the Circle came together so quickly and easily.  Should this be a factor in the game?  A mystery to the players? (If no opinion, please so state.)
5.  Give input into the story frames: Which do you like?  Would you like one if something changed?  Would you like to add some elements to a particular, or any story?  Would you like to end all of this prattle, have me pick something, and go?

Looking forward to hearing what people think.

Lady Elena

I can't do my whole long bio now, but I'm leading toward Zenith or Eclipse.  If others really, really want those, I can certainly switch over to Night.  More to come on that....
PLEASE BE PATIENT.  I live in a place where it snows in October, and between no electricity and a busted water heater, life has been kind of hectic.  I WILL get to our scenes. Please see my Apologies Thread for more info.

ONs & OFFs:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=106488.0 (Updated 5.27.11)

Scene Ideas: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=106577.0

Apologies: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=108093.msg4694974#msg4694974

HairyHeretic

I have played Night and Eclipse a fair bit, and would be happy with those. I'd also be ok with trying my hand at a Lunar, if we have more people want to play Solars than a circle should have.

Bouncing off of idea A, what if the Solar circle were the ones whose famous tombs form so much of a part of Nexus, and Fate has woven them back together here?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

AlexStone

[quote author=HairyHeretic link=topic=110782.msg4822906#msg4822906 date=1308768526

Bouncing off of idea A, what if the Solar circle were the ones whose famous tombs form so much of a part of Nexus, and Fate has woven them back together here?
[/quote]

It certainly would make quite a lot of sense- and explain a lot of dots of artifacts. <G>

meikle

Quote2. Express any opinion you have on game size, Solars only, if any.  (If no opinion, please so state.)

I am curious how you would feel about one of the Solars in this Circle being one of the transformed varieties (ie, abyssal or infernal) as appropriate to the path of the game, like a rogue Abyssal working to help bring down their Deathlord or an Infernal with an interest in making sure that the Reclamation never has a chance to happen?

It could be tied in to the rest of the Circle by maybe saying (depending on other past lives) that they had been Circle Mates with one or more of the others in the First Age, and could still fill into a Perfect Circle by matching whichever space is open (ie, Dusk for Dawn, or Fiend for Eclipse, or whatever) ?

O and O and Discord
A and A

Zaer Darkwail

I express my interest for this exalted game :). I know we got five players already but I have concept for a female fire aspected (ex-Dynast) dragon-blood sorceress.

At 2011-06-22 18:34:38, Zaer Darkwail (uid: 14) rolls: 5d10 tn2: 10 Result: 1

My opinion game should be based on circle of Solars (not necessary perfect but better if it could be). Along with one to three random exalts of other types.

Now idea for my char is; Cathak Shizune. A female fire aspect dragon-blood sorceress who looks like this. Behavior wise she could be from house Cynis; hedonistic and pleasure and sensualist. But that is actually her mask what she throws on people to mislead them to think her as less of a threat. She is actually very valorous and compassionate person with symphaties towards commoners and mortals with sharp intelligence and wit. Also she has low temperance and have tendency to be flashy personality (more than often done hadoken spell to drive her point just because she can). So she can be easily smoking hot seductive or make people crap on their pants (expect celestials altough some of them should be scared for her potential).

Background wise she was born for Nexus courtesan from one night fling, her Cathak father got sidereal stargazing prophecy about her being becoming one most powerful dragon-blood sorcerers in existence. So using some social fu with lots of jade thrown her mother's hands she was kidnapped from Nexus legally at age of five. She was rebellious youth but she learned behave. She was sended to Pentagram to study where she undervent all tests of sorcery under guidance of her master who was headmaster of the place. Her sacrifice was; all memories of her mother and life with her. All bribed to be done by her father who hoped loss of said memories make her less a rebel.....he was wrong. Altough no memories she retained most of her old self and personality; the rebel self has became already part of her nature.

She became part of solar circle activities because she was raised whole life with the doctrine that Anathema were demon possessed corrupters and so forth. But she herself who has summoned demons who had said otherwise....had kept her doubting. As she has studied history she knows history is written by winners. But she could not base her theories for what chatty demon said. So along going after one solars because Pentagram send her to talk with a famed scholar.....she was shocked find man was anathema but she then learned first hand what anathema really are and after bit education by someone in circle she became convinced by the ancient facts; Dragon-bloods had performed a coup. So her part she feels responsible for said thing and so she joined circle as perhaps first this era a willing dragon-blood follower of new solars. Her house found about it and naturally she was exiled and is top in wanted list to be arrested or assassinated by her house.

Her strength is her magic really; she can summon demons to perform varied tasks and she can blast some her charms at-will and she has all training and grace of a dynast seductive sorceress in her disposal. Her only weakness is when she is without magic really and altough she received basic combat training she has no real methods protect herself from direct close up melee attacks. She is more ranged combatant and needs also preparation time before she can fight. So if caught off guard in bedroom unarmed and unarmored she is screwed. Also all disadvantages what comes being dragon-blood (low essence pool) and no support of her house.

My preference would go to A or C storylines. Neither need change in my part at least.

Rival: A fellow dragon-blood sorceress from Pentagram who has been jealous of her received tutelage from headmaster itself. Rivalry had been intense but nonlethal, but since revelation of her treachery the rival could seek opportunity to slay Cathak Shizune to settle down rivalry, outdo her in death and receive even praise for doing so.

Ally: One member of the circle, or a peculiar unique Ifrit companion she had summoned once before but he choose willingly stay with her as her adviser, general and as a friend and protector.

Lover: A Lookshy general who once had strong hatred to Dynasts but she succeed seduce him and burn away his hatred to ash with burning passionate sex with him. After that they have met occasions and few times during the years, have not met since she became declared as traitor of Dynasts.

AlexStone

Quote from: meikle on June 22, 2011, 04:59:41 PM
I am curious how you would feel about one of the Solars in this Circle being one of the transformed varieties (ie, abyssal or infernal) as appropriate to the path of the game, like a rogue Abyssal working to help bring down their Deathlord or an Infernal with an interest in making sure that the Reclamation never has a chance to happen?

It could be tied in to the rest of the Circle by maybe saying (depending on other past lives) that they had been Circle Mates with one or more of the others in the First Age, and could still fill into a Perfect Circle by matching whichever space is open (ie, Dusk for Dawn, or Fiend for Eclipse, or whatever) ?

I don't mind, so long as the character is working with the Circle and is fundamentally heroic.

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on June 22, 2011, 06:57:12 PM
I express my interest for this exalted game :). I know we got five players already but I have concept for a female fire aspected (ex-Dynast) dragon-blood sorceress.

You're down with being a Dragon-Blood in a Solar game?  So long as you're okay with the power level, I don't mind.

Muse

Zaer's girl sounds like fun to me, and an Efrit ally would be awesome. 

Meikle, the originaly posted concpets included one that was a mixed group of tainted and normal, and one that was a normal solar circle.  Are you encouraging the mixed group plot? 

meikle

Quote from: Muse on June 22, 2011, 08:01:26 PM
Zaer's girl sounds like fun to me, and an Efrit ally would be awesome. 

Meikle, the originaly posted concpets included one that was a mixed group of tainted and normal, and one that was a normal solar circle.  Are you encouraging the mixed group plot?

I don't feel that the plot has to change fundamentally based on the color of one character's anima banner.

QuoteI don't mind, so long as the character is working with the Circle and is fundamentally heroic.

Absolutely.  I don't particularly want to play an antihero or anything like that, just someone who is using a different tool box to achieve the same sorts of goals as the others.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Muse

Maybe.  But having a rogue abyssal running with solars can be somewhat limiting.  I would want to know ahead of time if I my character getting a soft spot for another character and kissed her could result in resonance backlashes tearing holes too the underworld.  Of course, I feel the same way about the nastier limit breaks. 

Sorry, this goes against my usual, "support exalted Storyteller's at all costs" rules and I'm going to stop it now. 

Just please let me know ahead of time about things like this.  *sweat drop* 

AlexStone

Quote from: Muse on June 22, 2011, 08:11:50 PM
  Maybe.  But having a rogue abyssal running with solars can be somewhat limiting.  I would want to know ahead of time if I my character getting a soft spot for another character and kissed her could result in resonance backlashes tearing holes too the underworld.  Of course, I feel the same way about the nastier limit breaks. 

Well, we'd all know everything about each other's character ahead of time.  You'd know if one of the others in the Circle is an Abyssal, and have a good idea about the limitations.  Then, balancing those sorts of feelings becomes an interesting RP experience/story.

Also, if Meikle were to play an Abyssal, the group has a major side goal: Return her Exaltation to Solar.  '

Also, Meikle, if the objections are notable, are you absolutely fixed on the idea?

meikle

Everything is more fun with challenges.

Not kissing Abyssals is a perfectly fine approach, though.

Should we tell Zaer not to play a DB because of their anima flux?  That's more likely to kill you than any Abyssal's resonance.

I mean, the ST is free to veto if he does not approve, but "you shouldn't play that character because it has drawbacks" isn't advice I'm really, uh, swayed by.

QuoteAlso, if Meikle were to play an Abyssal, the group has a major side goal: Return her Exaltation to Solar.  '

Also, Meikle, if the objections are notable, are you absolutely fixed on the idea?

Well, I didn't say 'abyssal', I said 'abyssal or infernal', probably related to whichever Major Threat is featured in the story.  I find Abyssal and Infernal themes and mechanics about a million times more interesting than Solar ones, so if I'm not ... fixed on it, I am willing to argue for why it is not a destructive concept. :p

I will put this out there, too, before I get the "we kill dark animas on sight" response that I have seen people run with before: Holden Shearer on Lawful Stupidity

O and O and Discord
A and A

Muse

Sorry, Alex, don't mind me.  :) 

Not my game.  If she fits in your story as such, I'm good. 

(Meikle, my usual knee jerk reaction is based on how hard I find it to get Exalted storytellers.  Especially in table top.  Whenever my tabletop group asks for tainted PCs it always feels like they're trying to get out of running a game.) 

ReijiTabibito

I'd be interested. I'm getting back into Exalted through a solo game, and being able to participate in a group game would help me out a lot.

To the GM:

I have 3 primary character concepts I'd like to play.  In no particular order.

A - A No Moon caste Lunar, inspired by Indiana Jones.

B - A Chosen of Secrets Sidereal, a character I built for a game that never got off the ground.

C - A Lookshyan Dragonblood, probably Water Caste for awesome Martial Arts action.

AlexStone

Quote from: Muse on June 22, 2011, 08:36:33 PM
  Sorry, Alex, don't mind me.  :) 

Not my game.  If she fits in your story as such, I'm good. 

I'm going to file this under: "Problem Solved," then. <G>

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on June 22, 2011, 08:38:46 PM

I have 3 primary character concepts I'd like to play.  In no particular order.

Any of those might fit, depending on the exact game we play.  Mind waiting a bit to see what direction people want to go, and then we'll see what fits?

(NB, you pretty much get a vote on that, too.)

Note that a Sidereal *would* probably need to be in the Gold Faction.

ReijiTabibito

That's fine, my Sid was built as a Gold anyway.

Well...where are we in the determination of what game we're playing?  Depending on where we are, I have a different opinion...

AlexStone

If you flip up to reply 10, there I lay out 3 campaign frames.  They're not set in stone, but seem to be distilled from expressed interests from various posters- also, there's the possibility that there's Sidereal interference in the Circle, or Lunar antagonists.

meikle

I see Chiaroscuro and Gem!  I like them because they are in the South.

I don't love Nexus or the Scavenger Lands quite as much as the South.

O and O and Discord
A and A

HairyHeretic

How would an Infernal be working with a Solar circle? I don't have the Infernals book, but everything I know about them makes me think they'd be completely opposed to each other.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

AlexStone

Quote from: HairyHeretic on June 22, 2011, 09:09:04 PM
How would an Infernal be working with a Solar circle? I don't have the Infernals book, but everything I know about them makes me think they'd be completely opposed to each other.

Infernals fundamentally have free will- so, for their own reasons, they may decide they don't want to be in the Reclamation.  I mean, you don't always get it laid out for you just so, or maybe you have second thoughts about doing the job.  This costs them Limit if they decide not to obey their Urge, but the Yozis fundamentally can't force them to do anything they don't want to do. 

In fact, it's generally accepted that a good reason the Reclamation won't work is that the Infernals decide they don't want it to happen. (Assuming it's even possible.)

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: AlexStone on June 22, 2011, 09:01:48 PM
If you flip up to reply 10, there I lay out 3 campaign frames.  They're not set in stone, but seem to be distilled from expressed interests from various posters- also, there's the possibility that there's Sidereal interference in the Circle, or Lunar antagonists.

Okay, so it's either the Solar Kingdom of Nexus, Chiaroscuro, or Gem?  That's what you're referring to?  Hmmmm...

meikle

Quote from: HairyHeretic on June 22, 2011, 09:09:04 PM

"This is where I was born, it's where I grew up, it's where I've experienced everything I've ever experienced.  And when the Yozis offered to make me stronger, smarter -- more able to make this the world I want it to be and not the world it is -- of course I accepted.  But then they changed the terms -- they don't want the world I want, they want the world they want.

But that's not good enough.  And I won't let them have it."

QuoteThis costs them Limit if they decide not to obey their Urge, but the Yozis fundamentally can't force them to do anything they don't want to do.

And unlike Solars, Infernals have the ability to lose Limit before it ever reaches a breaking point.

O and O and Discord
A and A

AlexStone

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on June 22, 2011, 09:14:37 PM
Okay, so it's either the Solar Kingdom of Nexus, Chiaroscuro, or Gem?  That's what you're referring to?  Hmmmm...

It seems to be some of the notions people were working with.  Someone had to put forward more solid ideas, which is kind of my role here.

ReijiTabibito

Well, my Sidereal or Lunar could work with any of those three, but my Lookshyan would have to be Scavenger Lands.  My Sidereal would also work well with the Lands, since when I initially designed him, he had backgrounds with both Lookshy and the Guild.

Cold Heritage

I want to play a Dawn.

Quote2. Express any opinion you have on game size, Solars only, if any.  (If no opinion, please so state.)

I'd honestly prefer it to be 5 people, but I guess it's too late for that now. It's just - and no offense to others here, like Muse-sama - I just don't like huge ensemble games. I always feel like I end up getting lost in the shuffle and my character loses its luster.

Quote3. Consider  your character.  Post Caste, description of strengths and weaknesses, some personality notes.  A paragraph or two will work.  Consider Rival, Ally and Friend options, but consider leaving a slot open for a circlemate.

Solar Dawn Caste.

He will be from Karn. It is a great place. The people there are like vikings.

His strengths I guess would probably be with what I can do towards making him physically durable - lots of ox-body and that sort of thing. I don't think I can wheedle extra wounds out of mutations, but I'd try if the rules permit. Maybe legendary attributes so he can manage to genuinely be superhuman if only by a single die. Probably jack up melee and war and ride; look into the possibility of a cool mount without having to buy like familiar 5. Presence would probably be his only moderately strong social skill. His weakness, in the main, I think is that he would be like a blunt instrument, to be directed with force and surety of purpose. Not the kind of guy you send on a diplomatic mission unless you want to send the message, in no uncertain terms, "I intend to cause you grievous physical harm." Perhaps people could also mistrust him for his white skin and pale colouration.

I'll leave rival open for a circleperson.

For Ally, I think I would have some sort of local merchant type or perhaps some petty warlord type.

For friend/lover, I suppose my character's lunar bond. She could have a swan as her spirit animal and also be from the north.

Quote4.  Express an opinion on their being a bigger reason as to why the Circle came together so quickly and easily.  Should this be a factor in the game?  A mystery to the players? (If no opinion, please so state.)

I think it should be a factor; I'm cool with Hairy's idea that the PCs are the Solars who had their tombs in Nexus. Some gold faction involvement would also not be unwelcome. Lytek's clandestine involvement is also not unwelcome - though if we're expected to pay for that one merit that gives us first age memories from our own pocket I would decline.

Quote5.  Give input into the story frames: Which do you like?  Would you like one if something changed?  Would you like to add some elements to a particular, or any story?  Would you like to end all of this prattle, have me pick something, and go?

I like them all. My first choice would be A, with B and C tied. I think with C it might need to be established whether Ahlat is gonna be a pretty chill bro to us or if he ain't down with the solars anymore.

Cold Heritage

Another thing. From the sound of things, we won't really have to worry about wearing an orichalcum ring and having the Wyld Hunt come down on us with tactical, laser-guided precision. Do we get to be openly Solar without any penalty beyond the results of our own actions? Well, I suppose openly wearing an orichalcum anything is something that's going to have consequences and repercussions, but it'd be nice if in and of itself it'd be more that this dude is gonna plot against us because we all unanimously refused a political marriage to his ugly child rather than ZOMG TEH ANATHEMA GONNA ATE MAH SOULS.

AlexStone

Quote from: Cold Heritage on June 22, 2011, 09:46:13 PM
Another thing. From the sound of things, we won't really have to worry about wearing an orichalcum ring and having the Wyld Hunt come down on us with tactical, laser-guided precision. Do we get to be openly Solar without any penalty beyond the results of our own actions? Well, I suppose openly wearing an orichalcum anything is something that's going to have consequences and repercussions, but it'd be nice if in and of itself it'd be more that this dude is gonna plot against us because we all unanimously refused a political marriage to his ugly child rather than ZOMG TEH ANATHEMA GONNA ATE MAH SOULS.

Well, there are some people out there who won't deal with you on account of your Solarness, but they'd be foolish.  You're here and established.  The opportunity to nip you in the bud has done passed.  The Wyld Hunt wants to get you, they have to come through the army first. 

meikle

I'm not sure I saw anything claimed solidly except for a dawn.  Two people mentioned Eclipses.  Muse mentioned a DB, but that doesn't really get in my way too much.

I'll put up a couple of concepts that relate to the Twilight position, a Daybreak Caste and a Defiler Caste, depending on which Big Bad ends up being the focus.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Cold Heritage

Quote from: meikle on June 22, 2011, 09:54:14 PM
I'm not sure I saw anything claimed solidly except for a dawn. 

Who claimed Dawn? My eyes aren't working so hot. Please help me, meikle. ;-;

AlexStone

I think we're full now on players- barring a dropout, of course.  We'll keep hashing characters here, and once we're settled on setting and such, we'll get a proper OOC and History thread.

AlexStone

Quote from: Cold Heritage on June 22, 2011, 09:56:56 PM
Who claimed Dawn? My eyes aren't working so hot. Please help me, meikle. ;-;

You did, you <Insert culturally appropriate, friendly but teasing term for person who missed something>! <G>

ReijiTabibito

Sounds good...so, who's on the lineup?

EDIT: And I meant more of the players, not the character types and such.

HairyHeretic

I'm happy with Night, Eclipse, or a Lunar. I can sort out characters for any of those easily enough.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

AlexStone

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on June 22, 2011, 09:58:53 PM
Sounds good...so, who's on the lineup?

Here's what we have:
Cold Heritage: Dawn.
Meikle: Twilight Equivalent.
Lady Elena: Zenith OR Eclipse OR Night.
Hairy Heretic: Eclipse OR Night
Muse: A Solar (?)
Zaer Darkwail: Dragonblooded Sorceress
ReijiTabibito: A Not Solar.

Pumpkin Seeds

AlexStone

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on June 22, 2011, 10:14:33 PM
So the game is full?

For now.  Obviously, people may drop, so keep an eye out to see if that happens, please.

Muse

Most likely a solar for me too, please, but I'd prefer too know WHERE we're playing before I put forth a concept. 

We can't all cross 8,000 miles of creation before the start of the story, and I often enjoy being somewhat local. 

Cold Heritage

I wouldn't oppose Pumpkin Seeds being a last last-minute addition. She's good people.

AlexStone

Quote from: Cold Heritage on June 22, 2011, 10:18:04 PM
I wouldn't oppose Pumpkin Seeds being a last last-minute addition. She's good people.

Well, one more won't hurt, then!

Muse

Nexus is awesome, but also has more going on there than even the other two places combined.  IF the idea is that we're not just established but have some political pull, Chiaoscuro or Gem would make more sense. 

I like all three cities, but I haven't had much opportunity to explore Gem, so that would be my vote.  :) 

ReijiTabibito

My vote is the Scavenger Lands.  Plenty of stuff going on there.  Lookshy, Nexus, Great Forks, the Black Chase, the Walker's realm, Denandsor, Thorns...

AlexStone

Well, based on my extensive vote-counting system*, all three story frames are about even in support.  I'm till waiting on some input, too, so that might break the tie, though we might have to go to a different system: Either a preference list, or just me deciding rather than abdicating my responsibility.

*Fingers, Toes, Beer.

Pumpkin Seeds

I think Gem would be the easiest since its farthest removed from the rest of Creation and has alot of mercenary stuff if I remember.  So easy for some mystical and hated being to exist together.  Plus I don't think I've ever seen a campaign run in Gem before.

ReijiTabibito

Well, there was one that was Gem-based that I was in a while back...but it never really got off the ground.

If there is something of a priorities list, mine is:

1: Scavenger Lands
2: Chiaroscuro
3: Gem

meikle

Here are a pair of very loose concepts, both of which will be refined, uh, I guess when things become clearer.

The Stygian Celebrant, The Rejoicing Lorekeeper, Daybreak Caste Abyssal
-- A necromancer and sorceress both, the Stygian Celebrant is a lorekeeper and historian above all things, with a fixation on the remnants of nations long since forgotten -- mortal and supernatural alike.  She has a strong love for the city of Sijan, which features a culture that has remained unmarred for centuries (if not longer) and does not distinguish between the culture of the living and the culture of the dead.

Presently, the Stygian Celebrant tends to have a strange obsession with introducing the manners and customs of long-dead peoples into [wherever the Solar Circle is busy being amazing].  There is no Abyssal without a desire to destroy, however -- and the Rejoicing Lorekeeper hopes to erode, eradicate even, the wall of stigma and fear that segregates Creation's living and dead.

Exquisitely Efficient Esther, Defiler Caste Green Sun Prince
Esther is a renegade of a sort -- in the sense that she does not flee, but simply spits in the eyes of her pursuer.  Only briefly a loyalist toward the plans of the Yozis, Esther's willingness to serve them faltered quickly upon exposure to hell, and more quickly yet upon interaction with the infernal souls of the Yozi rulers therein.  She has love for only one of the fallen Primordials, and that is her patron, She Who Lives In Her Name.

Esther is fixated on the concept of a perfect world: everything in its place, clearly defined, well-made and perfectly functional.  She is obsessed with ideas of efficiency and regularity.  She knows that, should the Yozis return, or the Neverborn have their way, the world will only be uglier than it is now.  She has considered that the Deathlord's ends -- the end of all things equally, forever, has a certain pleasurable uniformity to it, but the lack of function or direction bothers her.

Esther would be a sorceress and martial artist (probably) with desires to regulate and control ... everything.  But not in a cruel way, just a 'better for everyone' way.  She may conclude that she belongs higher on the hierarchy and expect worship, but that depends on where the game ends up set, which is important.

My vote is just 'not the scavenger lands'. :p

O and O and Discord
A and A

ReijiTabibito

Random question I had pop up in my head - I know that most of the players here are expressing desire to play a Celestial Exalt of some stripe...but if someone wants to play a Dragonblood, how do we balance them with the more powerful Celestials?

AlexStone

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on June 22, 2011, 10:57:31 PM
Random question I had pop up in my head - I know that most of the players here are expressing desire to play a Celestial Exalt of some stripe...but if someone wants to play a Dragonblood, how do we balance them with the more powerful Celestials?

We don't, really- if you're playing a DB, you're accepting for yourself the additional challenge of being a lesser amongst your betters. People may like that- though, if you're worried about raw power, a DB won't be for you. That said, I'm handing out XP for accomplishing goals, and the goals a DB might have for him/herself might be easier to accomplish.

meikle

QuoteThat said, I'm handing out XP for accomplishing goals, and the goals a DB might have for him/herself might be easier to accomplish.

"I tied my shoes without having to summon a demon to do it for me!"

"Yayyy!"

O and O and Discord
A and A

ReijiTabibito

>_<  What, are Terrestrials the new D&D Paladins, now?

CrazyIvan

Aw, looks like the game is all filled up, knew I should have posted my interest yesterday, damn having to work and then thinking I could do it in the evening. Well any way good luck with the game and if you need more people I would be more then happy to join. I am familiar with all the splats dragon blooded, solar, lunar,  infernals, alchemicals, and abyssal. So like I said I will keep a watch and see if you have room later on, since you seem to be all full.

Cold Heritage

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on June 22, 2011, 11:05:18 PM

Being able to freely use reflexives without the expense of combo is something DBs get that I've always coveted.

Muse

Solars have something close once they get their essence up.  The 5th exclenecy. 

AlexStone

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on June 22, 2011, 11:05:18 PM

The Gods make the rules, we just have to play by them.  If you want raw power, a Lunar or Sid would be better.  If you want the challenge of maximizing a weaker character and working in a team- the major theme of Dragonbloods, after all- I'm sure a creative guy like yourself can take it on. 

Quote from: CrazyIvan on June 22, 2011, 11:32:47 PM
Aw, looks like the game is all filled up, knew I should have posted my interest yesterday, damn having to work and then thinking I could do it in the evening. Well any way good luck with the game and if you need more people I would be more then happy to join. I am familiar with all the splats dragon blooded, solar, lunar,  infernals, alchemicals, and abyssal. So like I said I will keep a watch and see if you have room later on, since you seem to be all full.

I'll be sure to let you know!

ReijiTabibito

Yeah, but Terrestrials get a lot of drawbacks, too.  Any Charm outside of their Aspect Abilities requires a one mote surcharge, including Excellencies, as far as I'm aware.  They get the smallest Essence pools of all of the Exalted, and don't get any perfect defenses.

Pumpkin Seeds

Are we still focusing on having a full circle?

Muse

Cold, in Glories Most High there's an upgrade charm too Iron Kettle Body that let's you use it while armored. 

Pumpkin Seeds

Thinking of going Twilight caste and revolving the idea around this picture..

Muse

*smiles* 

And I'm currently playing with either a Righteous Devil Martial Artist or Matrim CauthunTwilight Mirth. 

meikle

what is a Twilight Mirth

it's not a sign that i picked the Caste that's going to have the most representatives rather than the least, si ti

O and O and Discord
A and A

Zaer Darkwail

I am okay being bit weaker than the rest. But I would not mind a slight XP boost in start so I may have few stuff more as my char could have been around longer as exalted. I heard we do plan get XP in char creation anyways so example solars get 20 XP and DB could get 30 XP. Also note as ex-Dynast most my backgrounds would be gone/useless minus the artifact ones (as I can carry them off).

Also my char could have secretly Pentagram Backing in 5 dots; it's that she is in good relations with the headmaster of the Pentagram and she may talk to him via magic or come visit while disguised. It's kind of sneaky support but they cannot act openly at least. Also could have single manse which belongs to Pentagram headmaster.

Anyways true that the surcost tax sucks, but try live with it. Anyways I do not have second edition dragon-blood book but I already once made my dragon-blood sorceress concept already to other game (so know roughly the charms I want) and also have Ed's Toolkit program.

Muse

*Grins* 

Twilight Mirth is his name.  He's most likely a dawn or a night.  Comes from a little town so boring they want too go to the Lap where things happen.  :)  He uses throwing knives and a sword, maybe. 

AlexStone

Just as a reminder, folks, we're going to try to have a perfect circle, so some Castes have been claimed already.  I'm assigning them here on first come, first served, but you guys can negotiate amongst yourselves if you really have to have something, and don't mind being flexible.  I'm sorry we can't quite accommodate everyone perfectly, but I ask you to think of it as a roleplay challenge, a chance to step out what you normally like and try something new. 

Cold Heritage: Dawn.
Meikle: Twilight Equivalent.
Lady Elena: Zenith OR Eclipse
Hairy Heretic: Eclipse OR Lunar
Muse: Night
Zaer Darkwail: Dragonblooded Sorceress
ReijiTabibito: Lunar or Sidereal or Dragon Blooded (Unless Hairy, you want to play a Lunar.)
Pumpkin Seeds: Lunar or Sidereal or Dragon Blooded. (Unless Hairy, you want to play a Lunar.)

This is based, like I said, on expressed preferences and the order they came in, plus pruning "This or that" from those who were thinking about two possibilities, while someone stepped up and claimed one of them for certain.

As to starting XP, everyone is getting at least 50.  More XP will be assigned for: Work in the background of your character, and for posting in the History Thread once we get that going.  The history thread will explain how you established your kingdom, as written by a historian of a later time, and will be a collaboration of all of us working to tell that story.

Again, I'm sorry if, in this process, you're not quite getting everything you want.  I'm sure we can all be reasonable about this, and I ask your patience and understanding, but I'm trying to build a game that's fun for 8 people, makes sense in my understanding of Creation, and is still manageable.  I'm trying to spread the compromise around, but, if at any point, you feel like this game won't work for you, I understand- just let us know that you'll be trying your luck elsewhere.

Zaer Darkwail

Hmmm, 50 XP is quite generous. Lots room to work with. Are flaws/merits allowed?

HairyHeretic

Since we have a couple of others interested in playing a Lunar, I'll take the Eclipse.

My vote would be for the Scavanger Lands, the other two I haven't played very much in, so don't have a preference one way or the other.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Muse

Gah, we don't even have a setting yet and somehow I've signed up for a Caste? 

Muse

Grrr... 

IF there's only 5 solars, give Pumpkin my solar slot so she can play her technician.  I'll gladly present a lunar or sidereal as soon as I know where the game is taking place. 

ReijiTabibito

Actually, Muse, that really wouldn't help.  Pumpkin is playing a Twilight, and you're playing a Night Caste.  Besides, the Twilight we have is meikle, who I'm guessing from the phrasing is playing the Abyssal or Infernal equivalent of a Twilight.

So, really, Pumpkin could play a Twilight, and we'd have a full Solar circle.

Muse

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on June 23, 2011, 09:05:27 AM
Actually, Muse, that really wouldn't help.  Pumpkin is playing a Twilight, and you're playing a Night Caste.  Besides, the Twilight we have is meikle, who I'm guessing from the phrasing is playing the Abyssal or Infernal equivalent of a Twilight.

So, really, Pumpkin could play a Twilight, and we'd have a full Solar circle.

I do hope so. 

Still, just because I brainstormed "aloud" about 2 charecters I might play if this turned into a southern game, and one of them might be Night Caste, hardly means 'my character is a night caste'.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Muse on June 23, 2011, 09:11:47 AM
I do hope so. 

Still, just because I brainstormed "aloud" about 2 charecters I might play if this turned into a southern game, and one of them might be Night Caste, hardly means 'my character is a night caste'.

Well, the GM assigned people into castes so we can have a full perfect circle of Solars as center of the story besides the few invindual exalts.

HairyHeretic

I can trade you Eclipse for Night if you'd rather have that?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Muse

*Clunks head* 

I appreciate the offer Hairy, but that's not it. 

If the game needs me to be a certain caste, I have no problem with that at all.  I certainly have no problem playing night caste. 

All I'm saying is I can't come up with a concept 'til I know where the game is set. 

HairyHeretic

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood.

Location generally isn't that much of a dealbreaker for me. My characters tend to be from places other than where the game starts anyway :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Muse

*chuckles*  No deal breaking.  :)  I just enjoy the idea of not playing the entire game thousands of miles from my character's home.  Each direction has a distinctive culture, fascinating family structures, that kind of thing.  I'd have just as much playing a southern man with 4 wives as I would an eastern bachelor who had sired a child for two of his favorite lovers and was teaching swordsmanship to his nephews. 

Zaer Darkwail

Then pick home place between Nexus (river province) and South? Or perhaps come from hybrid family with southern woman and eastern man :).

Muse

Why? 

It shouldn't be too long before Alex decides where he wants to set the game, and then I can make a character that fits in just fine.  :)  (I'll show all you foreigners around.  :P  ) 

AlexStone

The main problem about setting the game is that there's no clear consensus.  I can make an executive decision if people are okay with that.

Muse

*Chuckles*  You're the storyteller.  Put us where you'll have the most fun.  :) 

Zaer Darkwail

Aye, put where you as ST like to weave our story.

Anyways Alex; are Merits and Flaws allowed? I thinked get legendary Appearance and Enchanced Features. Also would as traitor dynast a Wanted 3-5 be suitable flaw? Also thinked Vice (common) towards carnal activities with anyone with Appearance score 3.

Muse

*Grins*  Zaer knows how to have fun.  :) 

Zaer Darkwail

Yeah, it is roll of 5 or 7 with d10 to see does I get something to distract me in each and every storyline; bountyhunters, assassins, mercenaries or freaking ninjas in my bedroom. Lots of fun for ST to abuse it :P.

AlexStone

I can't even remember if there are merits and flaws in 2nd ed, which is the edition I know the best.

I'll wait a little bit before moving by executive fiat.  If you want to know what I'm thinking if I move in that direction, I can answer in a PM.

Zaer Darkwail

Well, in Ed's Toolkit which is 2th edition char generator program has merits and flaws. It's possibly from a splatbook or something (besides player's guide to Exalted in 1st edition but some merits/flaws have been moved from there and some edited even).

I can provide full details of the merits but general gist is that I aim for Appearance 9 for seduction purposes (7 for normal) and -5 MDV for folks with Appearance 4 or less resist my seduction attempts (and can seduce people not suitable sexual preferance with no penalty and same to those who have higher appearance than me). All these without charm use.

Muse

:)  The Merits and Flaws are in Scroll of Heroes. 

AlexStone

Fair 'nough.  It sounds like Zaer's main skills will be summoning demons and gettin' some.  Maybe he can summon a demon to play Barry White for him.  *Chuckles*

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: AlexStone on June 23, 2011, 10:40:45 AM
Fair 'nough.  It sounds like Zaer's main skills will be summoning demons and gettin' some.  Maybe he can summon a demon to play Barry White for him.  *Chuckles*

Rofl, it could be put to those two things :). But also my sorcerer will pack her own punch in fight; Using Glorious Birthright Font I can add my Breeding+1 to any physical elemental attack (like Elemental Bolt). Then combine Elemental Bolt with Archery charm which allows me fire off elemental bolts as magical flurry (number egual to my essence) in form of a combo called 'Elemental Barrage'.

Now fun part; I can double my dmg with elemental bolt with Elemental Lens which is connected to my Wings of the Raptor (jade). As you can add elemental lens for free for artifact 4 or higher item.

So, basic dmg is 6L when measuring with my stamina which is limit to the dmg. Then add in the fact I do +4L dmg with fire elemental bolts. So 10L base dmg. Add in Glorious Birthright Font for 16L dmg. Then elemental lens for 32L dmg with fire elemental bolt. Now all extra successes beyond done with the hit (attack cannot be parried but can be dodged) and I can reflexively use either lore or archery excelency boost up my chance to hit with elemental bolt. When using my combo your facing three +32L fire elemental bolts coming towards your face. If fire element immunity is a issue, I just need purchase elemental bolt charm 1-2 more times to get Wood and Air versions (but those doing less dmg) :P.

Fun part; I may spend 0m to use normal elemental bolt attack and do it's base 32L dmg. So can spam it so long Glorious Birthright Font is active and it has 3m cost and duration indefinate.

Super fun; if I get other dragon-bloods with same charms and artifacts to work with me in cooperation we could launch over +100L elemental bolt to single target.

HairyHeretic

:o

Can we use you as the artillery?

What happens if we put you in a warstrider?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: HairyHeretic on June 23, 2011, 11:18:47 AM
:o

Can we use you as the artillery?

What happens if we put you in a warstrider?

I do not know, I do not know anything about warstriders but if warstrider magnifies the elemental bolt then dmg is usually doubled I guess. As all success beyond hit are doubled in as dmg thanks elemental lens. But arttilery is the word what I would like use when descripe my sorcerer in combat ;). She uses demons and elementals as meatshields vs attacks on her. Also I saw some archery charm allows me parry attacks with my elemental bolt....one charm even allow deflect it back to attacker and target zero DV (as it is unexpected attack).

Pumpkin Seeds

So do I nix the Twilight idea I had or am I playing one? 

meikle

If Pumpkin Seeds isn't going to be able to play her technician character because I wanted the twilight position, she can probably just have my spot.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Cold Heritage

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on June 23, 2011, 10:58:53 AM
Rofl, it could be put to those two things :). But also my sorcerer will pack her own punch in fight; Using Glorious Birthright Font I can add my Breeding+1 to any physical elemental attack (like Elemental Bolt). Then combine Elemental Bolt with Archery charm which allows me fire off elemental bolts as magical flurry (number egual to my essence) in form of a combo called 'Elemental Barrage'.

Now fun part; I can double my dmg with elemental bolt with Elemental Lens which is connected to my Wings of the Raptor (jade). As you can add elemental lens for free for artifact 4 or higher item.

So, basic dmg is 6L when measuring with my stamina which is limit to the dmg. Then add in the fact I do +4L dmg with fire elemental bolts. So 10L base dmg. Add in Glorious Birthright Font for 16L dmg. Then elemental lens for 32L dmg with fire elemental bolt. Now all extra successes beyond done with the hit (attack cannot be parried but can be dodged) and I can reflexively use either lore or archery excelency boost up my chance to hit with elemental bolt. When using my combo your facing three +32L fire elemental bolts coming towards your face. If fire element immunity is a issue, I just need purchase elemental bolt charm 1-2 more times to get Wood and Air versions (but those doing less dmg) :P.

Fun part; I may spend 0m to use normal elemental bolt attack and do it's base 32L dmg. So can spam it so long Glorious Birthright Font is active and it has 3m cost and duration indefinate.

Super fun; if I get other dragon-bloods with same charms and artifacts to work with me in cooperation we could launch over +100L elemental bolt to single target.

So, wait, someone was complaining about DB weakness?

Anyway, gonna have to reconsider things; I can't compete with the system mastery that lets one guy launch +100L attacks with impunity.

HairyHeretic

I believe there are some guides over on the official Exalted forums for how to min/max any character to an insane degree, named after one guy in particular who has a talent for them.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Zaer Darkwail

Note; to do 100L hadoken bomb (elemental burst maybe) works only if I get 3-4 other dragon-bloods join in and they have exact same charms and artifact and stamina modifiers as I do (and breeding). So chances for it happening are extremely slim but very fun when it's possible :).

But yeah, one DB's strong points is that they work best in teamwork. Also ofc able use reflexive charms impunity (and save XP with creating combos).

Cold Heritage

So? You can still do a flurry of 32L attacks for 0m that can't be parried with ease.

Why didn't you post this with your first post?

Oh well, whatever. It's not like I've ever wasted time with something before. I don't feel like looking for a min-max guide and trying to find one that I can sort of kludge the character I want to play around. Have fun, everyone.

meikle

you know what else deals a flurry with huge damage that can't be easily parried?

a solar dawn with a goremaul and a decent rating in melee.

just sayin'.

though if CH is leaving, i could put together a Dusk or Slayer and that would make room for Pumpkin Seeds' twilight.

O and O and Discord
A and A

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: Cold Heritage on June 23, 2011, 01:59:45 PM
So, wait, someone was complaining about DB weakness?

Anyway, gonna have to reconsider things; I can't compete with the system mastery that lets one guy launch +100L attacks with impunity.

What Zaer described there is a lot of charms.  It would probably take out a third of a Dragon-Blood's Essence pool, minimum.

The weakness for Terrestrials isn't in their Charms, it's in their limited Essence pools, inability to have perfect defenses, and elemental surcharge.  Trust me, that one mote requirement builds up pretty damn fast...

Also, is it common to have Lookshyan Terrestrial characters take Martial Arts charms?  I know you can't take Immaculate Charms at the start, but the Terrestrial styles should be open, right?

Also, Alex?  How would you classify 'slashing weapons'?  It's a thing for a MA style.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Cold Heritage on June 23, 2011, 02:23:21 PM
So? You can still do a flurry of 32L attacks for 0m that can't be parried with ease.

Why didn't you post this with your first post?

Oh well, whatever. It's not like I've ever wasted time with something before. I don't feel like looking for a min-max guide and trying to find one that I can sort of kludge the character I want to play around. Have fun, everyone.

Awww, do not be so damn discouraged just for my ace trick which as note does not cost 0m but rather the magical flurry charm cost and also 1wp to activate the combo. True the birthright font allows me spam elemental bolt for free but that's it really. Also in that mode if I understand correct it does not allow me nothing than free 3m to each time I use elemental bolt. If I want spend 5m for elemental bolt then I pay cost for 5m (but at this point I cannot as 1m spend is related to stamina).

Also what others said; I am walking glass cannon as I have no perfect defense charms. Heck, the archery parry/deflect are based on can I win opposing attack roll or not vs ranged attack. Also my essence pool is smaller so I cannot do that much sorcery stuff and for low pool I made build which allows spam at least one attack in high level exalted combat (yeah, 32L dmg is so high that some perfect parries cause weapons to break if their not artifact quality). Also able to do this I need spend lots of charms and get high essence and so forth.

If you want build advise then simply ask. I myself was adviced on creation of this charm combo with my sorceress as I wanted advice how to be good in exalted game as dragon-blood in game where is celestial exalts. So you too can find good advices how to be bit cheesy in Exalt :).

Muse

Um, Zaer, where does it say you can add an elemental lense to an artifact 4+ item for free? 

I know you can add an elemental lense to an artifact 2 item and make it artifact 4. 

Zaer Darkwail

I do not know, I was just told by same person who adviced how build my char. It probably means that if artifact is already a artifact 4 (like wings of raptor) you can add elemental lens for free (by ST's decision as there is no artifact 6 items around).

Zaer Darkwail

Cathak Shizune, Blazing Comet of the East
Name:Cathak Shizune    Concept:Seductive Sorceress   Aspect:Fire             Intimacies:
Age:90                            Gender:Male                             Eyes:Red               Hair:Wine red, liquid smooth         
Build:Slim&Busty             Height:5'6                                 Weight:150lb         Languages: High Realm, Old Realm, Riverspeak, Firetongue
Motivation: Become greatest dragon-blood sorceress in history
Dressing: Red silk robes and jade jewelry, also black transparent silk full body suit which leaves her front exposed (and has secret cut over her groin/ass which allows slide a opening). Also wearing pair of shoes.
Anima: A fiery wildfire blaze which creates flaming letters in old realm circle around her. Also form a full blown fiery pentagram in highest mote expend

ATTRIBUTES

Physical                          Social                              Mental
Strength:1                       Charisma:2                      Perception:2
Dexterity:3                       Manipulation:2                Intelligence:4
Stamina:3                        Appearance:6                  Wits:3

ABILITIES

Air                         Earth                           Fire
Linguistics:3          Awareness:2              Athletics*:3
Lore*:4                 Craft[Magitech]:1        Dodge*:3
Occult*:3               Integrity:3                  Melee*:1
Stealth:                 Resistance:                 Presence*:3
Thrown:                War:1                          Socialize*:3

Water                   Wood                        Specialities
Bureaucracy:1        Archery*:3                Archery - Elemental Bolt2
Investigation:        Medicine:                   Presence - Seduction1
Larceny:                Performance:1           Occult - Sorcery1
Martial Arts:1         Ride:1
Sail:                       Survival:

ADVANTAGES

Willpower: 10
Temp.Willpower: 10

Essence                                                    Virtues
Level: 3                                                     Compassion:3                  Temperance:2
Personal:18/18                                         Conviction:2                     Valor:5
Peripheral:39/15
Committed:24                                            Limit:0/10
                                                                   Limitbreak:
Armor
B8/L6/A
Hardness B2/62
Mobility:
Fatigue:
Attack
Elemental Bolt Spd 5 Acc +11 Dmg +4-12L(+10-18L font on, x2 elemental lens) PDV xx Rate 1
Kick Spd 5 Acc +4 Dmg +4B PDV +1 Rate 2
Punch Spd 5 Acc +5 Dmg +1B PDV +3 Rate 3

Combat                                                                       Social
Dodge DV:5 (7 while in air with WotR)                         Dodge DV:8
Parry DV:2 (martial arts)                                              Parry DV:3 (Cha+Pre)

BACKGROUNDS
Merits&Flaws
Enchanting Features: +4pt, +4 dice for seduction, additional -3 penalties from Appearance difference,
                                             no penalties seduce person prettier than her and those not suitable sexual preferance
Legendary Appearance: +3, Increase appearance limit by +1
Vice (common): -4pt, for women/men with Appearance 3 or more (goal; have sex with them)
Enemy: -1pt, her rival from The Heptagram who was jealous for her tutorlage under Tepet Senex in The Heptagram,
                               ST roll d10 vs 1 to see does enemy/rival interfere with Shizune's plans
Obligation: -1, towards Tepet Senex of The Heptagram
Wanted: -4, A wanted ex-dynast traitor who has joined with Solars,
                              ST rolls d10 vs 6 see does Wanted status somehow hinder in the story

Artifact:4
(Discreet Essence Armor 2, Wings of the Raptor w/elemental lense 4, Collar of Dawn's Cleansing Light 1, Yasal Crystal 1)
Breeding: 5
Destiny: 5
Sorcery: 3
Manse: 3
(Air: Key of Mastery)

(Asking ST's permission for this background bonuses, as it is related to Cathak Shizune's background significantly)
Mentor: 4
(Tepet Senex, second oldest mentor in The Heptagram besides Dominie)

CHARMS
COMBOS
Elemental Barrage (Elemental Bolt+Swallow Defends Nest, 4-8m+1wp, 3 motes negated from using elemental bolt with GBF charm active)
Cathak Shizune has always been skilled in use of elemental bolt attack than most sorcerers. Also she had always been
skilled archer herself. So she combined her archery skills with elemental bolt charm to learn able to create barrage of
elemental bolts to hammer on foes from distance in rapid fire bombardment.

Lore
Elemental Bolt Attack, 1m/1L (+1m)
Elemental Concentration Trance, 5m+1wp/one day (+1m)
Elemental Empowerment Meditation, 1wp/+4m
Glorious Birthright Font, 3m/Indefinate

Occult
Terrestrial Circle Sorcery

Socialize
First Excelency, 1m/1 dice
Warm-Faced Seduction Style, 1m

Archery
Dragon-Graced Arrow, 1m/special (+1m)
Swallow Defends the Nest, 1m/per extra attack after first (+1)

SORCERY SPELLS
Demon of First Circle, +20m+1wp
Flight of the Brilliant Raptor, 10m+1wp
Summon Elemental, +10m+1wp

BIOGRAPHY

[Write soon]

Bonus Point Spends: 28/28
Increase Ability - Lore (1 dot, -1pt)
Increase Willpower (5 dots, -5pts)
Increase Virtue - Valor (2 dots, -2pts)
Increase Artifacts (1 dot, -2pts)
Increase Breeding (2 dots, -4pts)
Purchase Manse (3 dots, -3pts)
Increase Destiny (2 dots, -4pts)
Purchase Merits, -7pts
Purchase Flaws, +10pts

XP Spends: 50/50
Increase Essence from 2 dot to 3 dot - 20 XP
Purchase 2 charms (favored) - 20 XP
Create Combo - Elemental Barrage - 5 XP
Increase Virtue - Temperance (1 dot, 3 XP)
Increase Ability - Awareness (1 dot, 2 XP)

meikle

i appreciate that you went ahead with probably the two most broken merits in that entire awful book :p

but i mean, if we are pulling out all of the rules of questionable legitimacy when we make characters here, it'd be good to know, i guess

mostly because that shit is never really fun once it gets into play

O and O and Discord
A and A

AlexStone

So, I think I'm going to exercise a little executive fiat.

The game is set in Chiaroscuro, right after Team Awesome (Whatever you call youself, come up with a good Exalted name.)  has effectively taken over the place.  This has happened with such sudden speed that the Realm has been caught by surprise.  News that an Anathema Kingdom has been established so close to the Blessed Isle has set off alarm bells throughout the Dynasts.  Regent Fokuf has been so shocked by the news that he has retreated to his private quarters for... Extensive consultations of the Sutras.* 

In the absence of leadership, Cathak Canain has announced that he, personally, will lead the attack against the Anathema Kingdom.  Orders have gone out to recall all House troops from mercenary duty.  War comes, and soon.

For this game we will need:
1 Solar of each Caste
1 Renegade Infernal**
1 Dragon Blood
1 Sidereal or Lunar 

* IYKWIMAITYD
** Meikle, this is you- whatever caste makes you heart go squee.

I think we can divy up the roles now- with more freedom of movement in character types, hopefully there will be less trouble getting castes we want.

Some specific concerns:

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on June 23, 2011, 02:32:51 PM

Also, is it common to have Lookshyan Terrestrial characters take Martial Arts charms?  I know you can't take Immaculate Charms at the start, but the Terrestrial styles should be open, right?

Also, Alex?  How would you classify 'slashing weapons'?  It's a thing for a MA style.

There are plenty of Sifu around to teach Terrestrial Martial Arts- just not Immaculate ones easily.  And Slashing Weapons are things like swords or naginata.  If you're not sure, just ask about a specific weapon.

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on June 23, 2011, 12:00:52 PM
So do I nix the Twilight idea I had or am I playing one? 

You are now!  I decided my concept for the game was one I formed before I had an excess of players, and doesn't apply anymore.

meikle

O and O and Discord
A and A

ReijiTabibito

Okay.  Chiaroscuro it is.  *nods*

Okay, Alex.  Question I have for you.

Powered Armors (as presented in the Crimson Panoply chapter of Wonders of the First Age) are constructed utilizing one of the Five Magical Materials, right?  So wouldn't they benefit from whatever material they were made out of?

And for 'slashing weapons' I was asking about a Reaver Daiklaive.

Muse

Whoo-hoo! 

So, what solar caste is left?  Night?  *cracks knuckles* 

Zaer, I see where yuo're friend's confusion comes from.  On page 77 it mentions that certain powerful artifacts already have an elemental lenses integrated.  Specifically the Armors of the Immaculate Dragons. 

But if you're not getting one of those artifacts (with their commensurate investment in repair time and hearstone dedication) the system is specifically: 

Take a rank 1 or 2 artifact. 
Raise it's cost to Artifact 4. 
Raise its' atonement by 2 motes. 
This integrates an elemental lense.  (Which is Repair 2). 

Also, I think you might have gotten from me the house rule that easily seduced by both genders counted as 4 points of vice instead of three.  I did that in a few campaigns for the fun of it, but by the book a vice is 1 or 3 points from frequency, too be raised for difficulty to resist (in temperance successes or willpower points.)   

Muse

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on June 23, 2011, 08:08:36 PM
Powered Armors (as presented in the Crimson Panoply chapter of Wonders of the First Age) are constructed utilizing one of the Five Magical Materials, right?  So wouldn't they benefit from whatever material they were made out of?

I have that book in front of me.  Which armor are you looking at?  Some are made from the magical materials and some aren't? 

ReijiTabibito

Initially, I was looking at an Armor of the Immaculate Dragons, but I'm pretty sure that that doesn't benefit from magical materials bonus.  The primary ones I'm looking at are that and the Yoroi Rapid Response Armor, since the first is made of awesome and the second doesn't require maintenance, if memory serves.

Muse

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on June 23, 2011, 08:16:01 PM
Initially, I was looking at an Armor of the Immaculate Dragons, but I'm pretty sure that that doesn't benefit from magical materials bonus.  The primary ones I'm looking at are that and the Yoroi Rapid Response Armor, since the first is made of awesome and the second doesn't require maintenance, if memory serves.

*Grins*  Yoroi Rapid Response Armor.  An upgrade of Ashigaru Skirmish Armor for use by exalts. 

Second paragraph: Composite magic materials means no magical material bonus.  (Atunement 6)  No regular maintenance, relatively light weight. 

Um...  If Cold doesn't return, is Dawn open? 

ReijiTabibito

*frowns*  Damn.  I was hoping for jade bonus, since that would negate the fatigue penalty.  If this were the Scav Lands, I wouldn't worry so much about fatigue...but this is Chiaroscuro and the South, which means heat, which means fatigue...I might need to pump some points into Resistance to make sure I can make the check.

Don't gimme wrong, Yoroi is still awesome, but now I've gotta choose between Immaculate Dragon Armor and Yoroi...

Also, Alex?  How many XPs are we starting with, and do you ascribe to the "increase Backgrounds with XP" camp?

Muse

Oh lordy.  Talk about broken.  3 exp per background point, no matter what level the background point is at? 

Please just give us whatever extra background points you do or don't' want us to have. 

Reiji, if you don't enjoy the challenges of wearing armor in the desert, there's a spell you should look into called Ritual of Elemental Empowerment. 

ReijiTabibito

I wasn't talking about *that* specific line - that's assuredly broken, too, and I use a variant of it - but just the idea that we don't have to do an inordinate amount of roleplaying to boost something one dot.

Also, do we know what sort of character types we need/we have at this moment?

meikle

Quote from: Muse on June 23, 2011, 08:29:28 PM
Oh lordy.  Talk about broken.  3 exp per background point, no matter what level the background point is at? 

Please just give us whatever extra background points you do or don't' want us to have. 

Reiji, if you don't enjoy the challenges of wearing armor in the desert, there's a spell you should look into called Ritual of Elemental Empowerment.

not nearly as broken as +4 dice to social rolls and double penalties from appearance differences (widely regarded as overpowered in the Lunar Charmset) for 4 bp.

i mean ... yeah, i'm not going to start on my sheet until i have an idea of how broken i need to make it to keep up.  i'm certainly not going to be outshined by a DB. :p

O and O and Discord
A and A

Muse

Do I understand correctly that we're supposed to begin with a degree of political power established in Chiaoscuro? 

*Blinks* 

I take it you've got a serious beef with that merit, Meikle? 

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: Muse on June 23, 2011, 08:29:28 PM

Where is this spell?  I'm not a sorcerer, but if it's Terrestrial Circle, maybe I can get Zaer's character to use it when we hit heavy battle.

Muse

Black and White Treatise.  :)  Terestrial Circle.  Very complimentary to Summon Elemental.  (Makes more sense to me than flight of the brilliant raptor if she's already got elemental bolt of doom combo.) 

AlexStone

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on June 23, 2011, 08:08:36 PM

And for 'slashing weapons' I was asking about a Reaver Daiklaive.

I think the first question has been answered pretty well. (Depends!) Though, for another dot, you can have Yoroi armor in the Magical Material of your choice. 

A Reaver diaklave looks pretty slashy to me.  What MA are you curious about?  If you want an up-down ruling on if X works with Y, Y might be the place to look, too. 
Quote from: Muse on June 23, 2011, 08:12:09 PM
Whoo-hoo! 

So, what solar caste is left?  Night?  *cracks knuckles* 

Zaer, I see where yuo're friend's confusion comes from.  On page 77 it mentions that certain powerful artifacts already have an elemental lenses integrated.  Specifically the Armors of the Immaculate Dragons. 

But if you're not getting one of those artifacts (with their commensurate investment in repair time and hearstone dedication) the system is specifically: 

Take a rank 1 or 2 artifact. 
Raise it's cost to Artifact 4. 
Raise its' atonement by 2 motes. 
This integrates an elemental lense.  (Which is Repair 2). 

Also, I think you might have gotten from me the house rule that easily seduced by both genders counted as 4 points of vice instead of three.  I did that in a few campaigns for the fun of it, but by the book a vice is 1 or 3 points from frequency, too be raised for difficulty to resist (in temperance successes or willpower points.)   

Night it is for you, then.  Also, Zaer, I think Muse's analysis is spot on, so you might have to fiddle some.
Quote from: ReijiTabibito on June 23, 2011, 08:23:49 PM
Also, Alex?  How many XPs are we starting with, and do you ascribe to the "increase Backgrounds with XP" camp?

50 XP to start.  And let's just do double background points for now, and see where that gets us.  Remember you have to devote some into actually controlling your kingdom- otherwise, you're in charge, and everyone basically is just pretending you're right.  (Backing and/or Influence, Contacts to represent spies, etc.)  As to raising backgrounds in play, if you want to work on that, just ping me and we'll write it into the plot.

I'm still pondering this whole merits and flaws thing.  I'm not sure they add all that much.

Muse

Working on a dawn caste Delzhan captain. 

Gurrk... 

Did I just get assigned Night again? 

Muse

Also, is the Scroll of Errata in use? 

AlexStone

If you want Dawn, you can have Dawn.  And, yes for Errata.

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: AlexStone on June 23, 2011, 08:42:55 PM
I think the first question has been answered pretty well. (Depends!) Though, for another dot, you can have Yoroi armor in the Magical Material of your choice.

Wait, you can?!  So Yoroi powered armor, for four dots, gains Magical Material bonuses?  I wanna make sure you have this right, and that you're allowing me to do this...

A Reaver diaklave looks pretty slashy to me.  What MA are you curious about?  If you want an up-down ruling on if X works with Y, Y might be the place to look, too. 

I was asking about Even Blade Style...but if I'm going to go the armored warrior route, then it depends on how you classify Yoroi Armor (Light, medium, heavy).  I might take a couple of Martial Arts charms, but it's really going to depend on what you say about the weight of Yoroi Armor.

50 XP to start.  And let's just do double background points for now, and see where that gets us.  Remember you have to devote some into actually controlling your Realm- otherwise, you're in charge, and everyone basically is just pretending you're right.  (Backing and/or Influence, Contacts to represent spies, etc.)  As to raising backgrounds in play, if you want to work on that, just ping me and we'll write it into the plot.

How exactly is that going to work for Dragonbloods, if I may ask?  Terrestrials don't get Contacts or Influence...and I'm not sure about Backing, either.

I'm still pondering this whole merits and flaws thing.  I'm not sure they add all that much.

They do add a degree of roleplaying/story hooks into the mix.  Take Zaer's char, who is wanted by the Realm.  Once the Realm finds out she's been hiding in Chiaroscuro, they'll want her that much more badly.

Muse

*Grins* 

Thank you.  I was about too throw this away and start making one of my super detective/social beast night castes that I play all the time because I never have a chance too be muscle.  :) 

meikle

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on June 23, 2011, 08:49:24 PM
They do add a degree of roleplaying/story hooks into the mix.  Take Zaer's char, who is wanted by the Realm.  Once the Realm finds out she's been hiding in Chiaroscuro, they'll want her that much more badly.

I would argue (and I am going to argue, right now) that you can handle exactly that kind of plot hook without representing it mechanically.

In fact, I would argue that it is more interesting to put that into the background and then allow the storyteller to introduce it when it seems appropriate, rather than rolling a die at the beginning of a session/story and trying to shoehorn things in based on that roll.

Generally speaking, merits and flaws don't add anything that can't be added by roleplaying, and otherwise offer insignificant benefits (most merits), incredibly overpowered benefits (the appearance one), bypass assumptions elsewhere in the game (merits allow you to be more virtuous than the Unconquered Sun, flaws changed the way Resources works to make it even less useful and add an addition surcharge to it), and just generally get in the way of things.

O and O and Discord
A and A

ReijiTabibito

You raise an interesting point, but I've always had Merits and Flaws in my Exalted games.  It's a part of the White Wolf system (starting with OWoD), with the exception of Scion because there's simply no system like that in place.  Plus, it gives you more points to make your characters powerful, which it sounds like we're going to need if we're taking on the Realm.

AlexStone

Reiji- before we get too much further into this, are you all in on a Dragon-Blooded?  I mean, there's a slot for a Sidereal or a Lunar.  In fact, I'm not totally sure just who is in and who I've managed to drive off, so there might be a Solar we need, too. 

meikle

Then the way to approach it is just to give more points, not to give people arbitrary numbers of points for things that they would have taken anyway (like the rival we're all supposed to have).

Every system has things that do not work well, and 'tradition' isn't a very strong logical argument for their inclusion.

I don't think merits and flaws encourage roleplaying at all, but instead just push players more strongly toward severe optimization.

O and O and Discord
A and A

ReijiTabibito

No, I'm not.  A Lookshyan Terrestrial is currently one of my frontrunners, but the Chosen of Secrets Gold Faction Sid is my other.  Lunars are fun...but damn are the rules complicated for them.

AlexStone

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on June 23, 2011, 08:56:11 PM
You raise an interesting point, but I've always had Merits and Flaws in my Exalted games.  It's a part of the White Wolf system (starting with OWoD), with the exception of Scion because there's simply no system like that in place.  Plus, it gives you more points to make your characters powerful, which it sounds like we're going to need if we're taking on the Realm.

Throw me a story hook in your background, get XP.  Have a flaw that you play out, especially to your detriment, get XP.  Want to be more seductive?  Roleplay and get stunt dice.  I think this is a better solution than another system- it fits the themes of the game better, too.

ReijiTabibito

Yes, but XP doesn't help the character as much as BP, and XP is a decidedly much more subjective thing because it gets handed out by a person (no offense meant to you, Alex, just saying) rather than an established point value in a book.

And I might be wrong, but I don't think we'd be having this argument if Zaer didn't take the Merits that he did.  I certainly don't hear any arguments against the Flaws he took.  Plus, it's not like everyone has to use Merits and Flaws, they can skip that step entirely.

meikle

They can skip it entirely.

Which puts that at an incredibly severe disadvantage for the reason you just cited!

Hence, tends towards optimization rather than roleplay.

And I am arguing against all merits and flaws taken by anybody for any reason because they're that messy, but I approve of Alex's ruling so life is good.

O and O and Discord
A and A

ReijiTabibito

This is not your mama's RP.  This is not D&D.  This is Exalted.  You're supposed to be able to do crazy batshit insane things and get away with it because you're just that powerful and awesome.

And if we're not using M&F, someone will have to tell Zaer since he built his char with that in mind.

And just double-checking, what changes to character creation do we have at this point?

AlexStone

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on June 23, 2011, 09:03:59 PM
No, I'm not.  A Lookshyan Terrestrial is currently one of my frontrunners, but the Chosen of Secrets Gold Faction Sid is my other.  Lunars are fun...but damn are the rules complicated for them.

In that case, I'll answer your previously posed questions, to let you make a better decision. 
Quote from: ReijiTabibito on June 23, 2011, 08:49:24 PM
Wait, you can?!  So Yoroi powered armor, for four dots, gains Magical Material bonuses?  I wanna make sure you have this right, and that you're allowing me to do this...

I was asking about Even Blade Style...but if I'm going to go the armored warrior route, then it depends on how you classify Yoroi Armor (Light, medium, heavy).  I might take a couple of Martial Arts charms, but it's really going to depend on what you say about the weight of Yoroi Armor.

How exactly is that going to work for Dragonbloods, if I may ask?  Terrestrials don't get Contacts or Influence...and I'm not sure about Backing, either.

I'm willing to let you, at the cost of a whole 'nother dot, have a special suit of Yoroi armor made of Jade (Or Starmetal, or Soulsteel, or what have you.)  With the additional stipulation that you give it a cool name.

For Even Blades, a Reaver Daiklave is inappropriate.  It's too bulky, since it's described as a "Speed" style.  Though I think I'd be okay with Yoroi armor with it- though, anything bigger is probably not going to work.

And Terrestrials get those backgrounds now.  At least, the PCs do.

meikle

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on June 23, 2011, 09:13:37 PM
This is not your mama's RP.  This is not D&D.  This is Exalted.  You're supposed to be able to do crazy batshit insane things and get away with it because you're just that powerful and awesome.

Which is not the same thing as 'you should just shit all over the system'.

O and O and Discord
A and A

AlexStone

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on June 23, 2011, 09:13:37 PM

And if we're not using M&F, someone will have to tell Zaer since he built his char with that in mind.

And just double-checking, what changes to character creation do we have at this point?

My major problem is that they're fundamentally redundant- it all can and should be handled in another way.  Redundancy leads to complexity, complexity leads to corner cases, corner cases lead to fear, fear leads to hate, hate leads to.. whatever Palpatine says. 

If Zaer writes up his flaws as background, he'll get enough XP to make up his dot shortfall.  And every time someone comes after him for the bounty on his head, he'll get XP.  And every time he goes chasing some ass, especially when he really should do something else, XP.  It's a gift that keeps on giving. 

So, regular CC, plus double Backgrounds, plus 50 XP.

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: AlexStone on June 23, 2011, 09:15:09 PM
I'm willing to let you, at the cost of a whole 'nother dot, have a special suit of Yoroi armor made of Jade (Or Starmetal, or Soulsteel, or what have you.)  With the additional stipulation that you give it a cool name.

If I decide to go with a Terrestrial for my char, then I don't think I'll have any problems with that bit.  The question now is do I play a Terrestrial or a Sidereal?

For Even Blades, a Reaver Daiklave is inappropriate.  It's too bulky, since it's described as a "Speed" style.  Though I think I'd be okay with Yoroi armor with it- though, anything bigger is probably not going to work.

Fair enough.  A Reaper Daiklaive, being a speed 4 weapon, though, would probably work.  Especially if it's made out of Jade, which reduces it to Speed 3.

To be fair in all honesty, though, if I go the armored Terrestrial route, I might end up just sticking to Terrestrial Hero and a couple of other styles that can be practiced in armor.  Maybe.

And Terrestrials get those backgrounds now.  At least, the PCs do.

Wouldn't all the PCs get that 'double background points' bonus?  Solar/Lunar/Terrestrial/Sidereal?

meikle

You play a Sidereal because duck fate.

O and O and Discord
A and A

AlexStone

Yes, all PCs get double backgrounds.  Double backgrounds for everyone!  Throws jade scrip in the air

Hmm.  We might need to move this to another thread soon, just to let everyone else get caught up more easily.

ReijiTabibito

Yeah, I think we're going to need another thread for this, because I still don't know who we've got on hand and who is playing what!  Except Zaer.  And Muse.

meikle

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on June 23, 2011, 09:35:10 PM
Yeah, I think we're going to need another thread for this, because I still don't know who we've got on hand and who is playing what!  Except Zaer.  And Muse.

Well, since I'm not filling a slot in the perfect Circle and don't have to worry about Caste, I'm wavering between Slayer and Defiler.  I'll post up a concept tonight regardless.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Muse

Koshak Kahn
--Delzhan Military Captain, Cassanova, and ambassador the court of orderly flame. 

If you are afraid, don’t do it.  If you do it, don’t be afraid.
--A proveb of Tamas Khan

Koshak Kahn—one of the tri’kahn’s thousand ‘nephews’--is, in fact, the second son of one of the more wealthy and important lines of Delzhan Nobles.  A hot headed and hot loined youth, he made his father proud in many ways, but his indiscretions in the area of seduction quickly earned him more foes than friends. 

Koshak’s father noted his son’s charm and grace too the Tri’kahn and suggested him for a position as amongst the emissaries too the Court of Orderly Flame.  Taking this adventure in good graces, Koshak promised too woo fire butterflies and learn the sword under efrit blademasters and do his father honor. 

A man of deeds more than words, the senior diplomats quickly realized that Koshak would not be best suited too rise to their ranks, but elementals had young among their numbers too, and men of action could connect on levels that transcended species or mortality.  Within a year, Koshak’s primary duty was too represent the Delzhan among military actions against the fair folk.  It was in these battles that he found tests of arms that truly pressed him to his limits and beyond, pressing him towards the point where the Unconquered Sun awaited him. 

It was also amongst these expeditions that he first witnessed a trio of emerald skinned, fire haired girls dancing towards the battle on flaming footprints, and the sensual indolence of the fire butterflies was forgotten. 

The fact that the three young flame ducks mocked at the mortal’s suit only drove him wilder with passion and ambition.  He began regularly petitioning the efrit Lusa Seragon for initiation into the supernatural martial arts.  He was, of course, politely denied each time, often with referrals too efrits and garda birds who would instruct him—which he seized—but Lusa Seragon’s instruction was for the Court of Orderly Flame alone. 

In his third year honorably representing Chiaoscuro alongside the armies of the Court of Orderly Flame—a loan mortal among gods and demigods fearlessly saluting the three he loved and throwing himself into the fray with the hobgoblins—the three flame ducks learned from their kin that the mortal had denied himself the willing attentions of the fire butterflies or any other woman since the first day he’d seen them.  The three did not know what to think or say, but one offered him her blessing before the next battle. 

It was in that battle that the three were cut off from the rest of their army by a hobgoblins and five griffin riding cataraphoi descended upon them. 

Seeing this from where he held the flanks against the hobgolins, a horrible rage rose up in Koshak.  It seemed the light of the burning sun blazed out of him.  His drove his golden camel through hobgoblins that suddenly quailed and quivered, and cut his way too join with the three.  His iron knife and glass blade cut through sidhe plate with equal ease, and the four cut their way back too the armies together… 

That night, the three girls granted Koshak his wish, their hearts, their bodies, and their love.  Fort he first time in his life, he wanted more.  When the young exalted petitioned Lusa Sargon to wed them, he was greeted not as a mortal, but as a God-King of Creation, an ally to be held and cherished.  He was granted not only the marriage of the three, but ancient gifts of orichalcum long hidden away and title to a manse. 

AlexStone

A thread for characters.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=111183.0
A thread for rules.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=111184.0
A thread for discussion. 
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=111187.0

Use the character thread to post character sheets, the discussion thread for sorting characters out.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on June 23, 2011, 08:37:24 PM
Where is this spell?  I'm not a sorcerer, but if it's Terrestrial Circle, maybe I can get Zaer's character to use it when we hit heavy battle.

Ritual of Elemental Empowerment allows imbue elemental qualities to items which already do not possess any magical qualities. So example could make clothes imbued with fire element so they give you immunity to heat. But to go along with socializing sorceress I took Droning Suggestion instead Brilliant Flight of the Raptor. Still would wish more spells but no enough BP slots increase sorcery background by 4 BP each after 3 :/.

Muse

*Blinks*  Zaer, I've also never seen the sorcery background in 2nd edition... 

ReijiTabibito

Muse, do you use Anathema?  I think I might've found a character creation bug in the program.  That, or an Errata on the Scroll of Errata.

Muse

Sorry, bro.  My roommates use Ed's.  I'm an old fashioned book reference and word processor guy. 

ReijiTabibito

Great.  I'll just have to wait and see, then...

Zaer Darkwail

You can donwload Ed's Toolkit for free. You just need go site, request via email a code to open the program once you have donwloaded the stuff on your computer.

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Rufei

Oh my. I too am interested - how's it look currently?
Somehow, sometime, this will have more than just a placeholder.