Monster University (Seeking Male Char for Gender Change)

Started by Nazora, April 29, 2012, 08:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nazora

For the main role or any position as one of the Saviors, I need people who can write multi-paragraph and can really delve into all the little details of their situation. So it will require a writer who can be detailed while following the the situation.

For the other roles I need all sorts, if you want to play as a student or a support or even a faculty it doesn't matter how much you post or how much content is in your post. However, if you put more work into your character others will recognize that and you may find yourself interwoven into whatever plots are being plotted. If you prefer to stand off and give short posts without much detail you will still be involved, but not quite as much.

If you want to be a part of this, I need to see a profile. Please be aware that I might not accept you as a savior. In fact, I probably won't because so few are going to be available. In that case I might suggest other roles for your character if I think the profile is workable somewhere else.
All about what I like!

Info: I find that 98% of the time my interest in a story outlasts that of the other party. If you are no longer interested in continuing a story, please let me know promptly so I'm not checking the thread.  Thank you.

Status: Posting a bit slowly due to chaotic schedule, bear with me please.

Silk

Well I would like to think I could've met your criteria for the savior character, but I have a feeling that it will not be up to your standard. Although I think I may have to pass on the support role as well, considering I don't really want to be a third wheel in a game for some overarching plot. Would kill any sort of motivation to keep interest in a game in the long run, if I'm just destined to be some kind of hanger on/groupie/comic foil/aquaintence for the main cast.

Laughing Hyena

give it a try Silk. Theres no penalty in doing that at least

Nazora

Actually in most cases the other characters have taken the spotlight. It all depends on how well you integrate your character into the story. And since multiple arcs go on at one time any character can have a major role. Many of the other players began characters as NPC's  that developed into vital characters. So it is simply not true that a non Savior character isn't important or part of the main cast. In fact, if everyone was a Savior character the game would be rather boring. It needs monsters, students, faculty to take various roles in order to succeed as a game.
All about what I like!

Info: I find that 98% of the time my interest in a story outlasts that of the other party. If you are no longer interested in continuing a story, please let me know promptly so I'm not checking the thread.  Thank you.

Silk

I'll think about it, its just I've had some bad experiences in games like this, with what ultimately became systematic sidelining of players.

Laughing Hyena

Example of that being that Areku didn't have a huge part. Was meant to be a tragic figure trying to fight his own nature and find some semblance of being normal once again. Yet he seemed capable of... stealing the show almost. Heck much of the happenings were around what he did or what he was doing or how characters reacted to him.

Haibane

Quote from: Silk on May 07, 2012, 08:04:48 PM
Well I would like to think I could've met your criteria for the savior character, but I have a feeling that it will not be up to your standard. Although I think I may have to pass on the support role as well, considering I don't really want to be a third wheel in a game for some overarching plot. Would kill any sort of motivation to keep interest in a game in the long run, if I'm just destined to be some kind of hanger on/groupie/comic foil/aquaintence for the main cast.
You sound quite negative about this so it seems you've had a bad experience or two in the past.

The issue is, if you are a good writer, imaginative and competent and able to flexibly use NPCs and keep a sharp eye on complex plot elements and continuity then even if you start off as a minor character, the character will be drawn into a main plotline because we need writers with that capability.

As an example, in the first version of this game I played a minor role of a sidekick to the magical girls who was a kind of magical crutch to them but whose physical form was a cute talking teddy bear. Eventually he grew into a major character with significant plot elements of his own.

So what I'm saying is, if you're a great writer, we'll treat you with the respect your skills deserve and give the characters you create the limelight and main story lines. What we won't do is abuse the talents of a great writer and dump you in an endless series of cameo roles or sideline you where your skills are wasted, that would be both pointless and a loss for everybody.

Chrystal

Another good example: I joined this game fairly late, at Haibane's invitation. I had some difficulty at first in figuring out exactly how my character could fit in. She was just a minor character, and could easily have been sidelined, but between everyone we came up with a role for her as a normal person who was trying to figure out what was going on.

And then I created a monster character and the entire swimming pool scene was built around her!

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Silk

Still thinking about it, sorry for seeming negative, just had some major blows to my pride lately. With failing university and such..

Chrystal

Ah. I know how that feels!

Mind you it was a long time ago. But what you need is some good honest fantasy to take your mind off things!

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Haibane

Silk

I know, I just don't know how I could see my character ideas fitting.

Etah dna Evol

I would like to play a young war veteran who is a security officer at the institute and can possibly be turned into a savior later on.
- Etah dna Evol

TURN ONs and TURN OFFs

Nazora

Welcome.

Actually, that may work, though your character would be Japanese so it might be hard to be a war veteran. I know Japan participated in some support roles during the war on terror, but I'm not sure of any combat involvement whatsoever. Unless their are some Japanese special forces I don't know of. If you want, you can make up a unit for your profile history. A fictional special forces unit would be an acceptable work around.

Feel free to submit a profile, make sure it meshes to the setting. I strongly prefer any pictures be anime or manga, it is not a hard rule but such has been the consistent pattern and it would be awkward to break with it.
All about what I like!

Haibane

Quote from: Silk on May 08, 2012, 06:43:24 PM
I know, I just don't know how I could see my character ideas fitting.
I haven't seen your character ideas yet. Why don't you put them up and we can talk more?

Laughing Hyena

Quote from: Haibane on May 09, 2012, 02:48:00 AM
I haven't seen your character ideas yet. Why don't you put them up and we can talk more?

I agree with Haibane. We cannot tell if you don't give us an idea. ^_^

Silk

Well heres one for the transformed char.

Player Name: Silk

Character Name: Alex Mccale

Alignment: SoS

Powers: Empathic healing (instead of healing outright, He/she assumes the wound onto herself, preferably tied with increased regeneration) Wound transfer (opposite of empathic healing, gives her own wounds to the other person.)

Personality: A cheerful youth that has always been comfortable in his sexuality, Alex spends a lot of time outside listening to his music, Mostly having a taste for forign metal music instead of his homes popular choices. Although he is generally cheerful he always found extremes of mood to be incredibly annoying. Because of that
he's often seen with several other mellow individuals who are not known to be too far in either direction of personality. Dispite this, he doesn't have a bad thing to say about anyone, either because there is nothing bad to say, or because he doesn't feel its worth the hassle of getting involved in the politics of school popularity
and slander. Having a tendancy to only keep within his small circle of friends, Alex has always been the type of guy that would just be overlooked in most cases.

Appearance: Male:
Female:

Background: Alex is of a natural Japanese descent, being an only child Alex was always finding ways to entertain himself, which resulted in him having a huge interest in music, Throughout his life nothing of any particular note happens, which suited Alex just fine, he just couldn't find interest to really bring himself into other peoples buisness in the same way as he never expected others to get involved in his. Because of this he is sometimes seen as aloof by the rest of his classmates however overtime he has created his own small circle of friends who each have similar interests to himself. Throughout his years at school Alex has been completely
oblivious to anything out of the ordinary, although this is soon to change as peoples lack of interest in him will result in him not being missed.

Etah dna Evol

Sorry this took so long. I spent most of last night researching the Japanese "military." But here he goes:

Player Name: Etah dna Evol

Character Name: Taira Haro. He will respond to Taira but never Haro and if you ask him what to call him, he would tell you that Chief is adequate.

Alignment: Sanctuary of the Saviors

Status: Staff (rather than faculty, since he’s not a professor)

Powers:
Gunslinger: While most soldiers favor long rifles with high rates of fire, Haro favors and is eerily accurate with, heavy pistols. He can fire one pistol with both hands with nigh supernatural accuracy at range, or can fire two pistols (one in each hand) with exceptional accuracy. The speed at which he draws the pistols does not detract from their accuracy.
Silence: Even when he doesn't intend to move quietly, his footfalls can't be heard. When Haro intends to be silent, his ability to run and shuffle without making any audible noise draws comparison to the mythical ninja. His exceptional speed does not make his movements any louder.
Speed: Haro moves several times faster than the average human, both in running and in body movement.
Note: While Haro possesses these abilities, they are not conscious. He believes them to be the result of elite military training and so does the casual observer.

Personality:
Haro was not just an orphan, he is an aberration. He had no parents, no family; nobody knew anything about his parent’s life or his birth. It was as if he didn’t exist before the Priests received him at the Morning Star Orphanage, or that he fell from the sky. Not knowing what to do, or what to tell people, he hid shame. He sought never to excel in sports or academia as to never be noticed, he never let anybody too close, or told anybody about his life.

As a teenager in school Haro was a ghost. He dressed in all black, stood silently in the back of the class room, and no one seemed to know him outside of school. As a young cadet, he remained a loner, but dated here and there, nothing serious. He still didn’t let anyone close to him, that pattern would repeat for the rest of his adult life. Haro had a girl in every port, but tended to spent his nights alone.

The young Chiefs mindset and demeanor could be labeled; quiet competence. He is not loud or obnoxious, he doesn’t brag much and he doesn’t rush headlong into a fight when the first opportunity presents itself. He is not easily startled and coolly reacts to difficult situations, choosing the most appropriate action. Some have seen that as a form of reluctant or even cowardice, but the sailors that fought under him appreciated his calm, cool demeanor, as it saved their lives more than once.

Appearance:
Haro is fairly slim but stands over six feet tall. His skin is fair, smooth, has few blemishes or scars and no tattoos. His hair is black and though he has let it grow out some, he still gets it cut often and wouldn’t be comfortable with long hair. He is light on his feet and fast as hell when he needs to be, or slow and deliberate when he can be, and he can go between the two when needed. He tends to wear a simple black version of the military inspired gakuran.

Background:
Born in 1985, Haro’s birthplace is unknown; and the orphanage told him both his parents were dead he had no family, and they also told him they don’t know the cause of their death. Found as an infant, somehow, by someone, he was raised by Catholic Missionaries in the city of Sendai at the Morning Star Orphanage. In primary school and lower secondary school he received B’s and C’s, and was a reliable, though never a stand out student. He didn’t have friends and was noted by councilors for having underdeveloped social skills.

The Morning Star Orphanage took care of students through their lower secondary schooling and graduated them after that. So in 2001 Haro joined the Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force’s youth cadet program. There he felt accepted in a way he didn’t among the Priests of the orphanage or his peers in public school. He would stay in the youth cadet program for four years, earning his upper-secondary equivalency after which time he joined the Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force as a Petty Officer 3rd Class or Santō Kaisō, the first noncommissioned officer rank.

While a part of the youth cadet program, Haro was chosen to join the Special Boarding Unit, an elite counter-terrorist group that is based off of the British Special Boat Service and is a rough equivalent to the US Navy SEALs. In 2005, upon graduating the cadet program he traveled to Narashino, Japan not far from Tokoyo. There he underwent fifteen months worth of training in Japans Special Security Program. Upon completing that training he was shipped to the Naval Academy Etajima, which was located in Etajima city near Hiroshima, for thirty-six weeks of intensive training that ended with him earning his place in the Special Boarding Unit.

In 2007 the newly minted Japanese soldier was sent off to the Indian Ocean as a Petty Officer 2nd Class or a Nitō Kaisō, almost immediately upon graduating. He would stay there for a year boarding ships with cargo bound for the black market, before returning to Japan. Less than a year later, in early 2009 Haro was sent to Somalia as a Petty Officer 1st Class or a Ittō Kaisō. In Somalia Haro led a team in anti-Somali piracy operations. They boarded pirated vessels, rescued hostages and seized cargo for just over a year before being recalled to Japan.

As it turns out, Haro was recalled to Japan only for two reasons; the first was to promote him to Chief Petty Officer or Kaisō-chō, making him one of the youngest Chiefs in the Maritime Self Defense Force. The second reason was to install Haro as the Noncommissioned Officer in Charge of the new Japanese base in Djibouti, Africa on the coast of Aden. Djibouti was another anti-piracy operation and they protected Japanese boats driving past and proactively boarded and seized pirate vessels.

After a month of leave and five months of desk duty, Haro reached the end of his six year enlistment. Though he valued his service in the Maritime Self-Defense Forces, he felt it was time to move on. The young Chief felt that he was good at what he did in the military and would never grow as a person, if he stayed in that environment. So in lieu of reenlisting, he signed a year’s contract with the infamous Triple Canopy Inc. He traveled to Iraq where he stayed for three hundred and forty four days. It is a time that scared him deeply and he still refuses to talk about.

After his tumultuous year in Iraq, Haro stepped out of the higher levels of security, which are little more than Special Forces mercenaries. He found a job with SECON CO, the largest Japanese security company on the island, though the move effectively made Haro an overqualified security guard. SECON CO through either luck or providence assigned Haro to its Henkaku University location. The former Chief contacted the Chancellor immediately and began making travel arrangement to the site.
- Etah dna Evol

TURN ONs and TURN OFFs

Chrystal

Well, it's not my call by any means, but if this were a democracy, both characters would get my vote.

Just out of interest, Naz, I would like to keep my two existing characters, as "back-ups". The creepy thing in the pool would, presumably, have been beaten by the ... Saviours as we are now calling them? And retreated to the filtration system to lick her wounds.

In the mean time, Atsuko would have continued her research, being thwarted by both MAWD and SoS, who both want to remain covert.

I think it would be entertaining to have her be pursued by a male character, whom she repeatedly snubs, only to have that male suddenly turn into a girl....

Of course, Kuriko would be my new main character.

I don't think I actually posted her, just the two images I found for her.

So, consensus please: Should I reveal the nature of the Queen of MAWD, or should I keep her secret for now, known only to the GM and her deputy?

Silk

Well if this char falls through I got another one in the works.

Nazora

Okay, Profiles Read.

Silk, I noticed a few inconsistencies in your profile. You character is of natural Japanese descent but has an American name, and there is no explanation for why this is. Also, in Alex's background, you mention he has a small circle of friends that share similar interests but say in the next sentence that no one would miss him if he disappeared.  I would think if he was cheerful and laid back his group of friends would be close knit.

The powers are okay, but they need to be refined. I need more details on them specifically. How much can she use the power? What types of wounds and injuries can she heal? What does she have to do to activate her powers? I would think the limits of her power depend on the severity of the wounds/ailments and the number of times she has transferred them. She should have a limited number of transfers per day. I also think using the power should cost her by making the ailment or wound slightly more severe. These powers wouldn't be activated until she was working for SoS. Would these be her only powers, she might need a few abilities. I would think something defensive to protect her for a limited period, given the support theme of your character.

I like this character, but I think the gender change wouldn't add much of anything to her and that she should just be female. I'm also seeing her as a support unit, given that her powers involve healing.

Personality wise, just a bit more outgoing and less overlooked would be loved by myself and a few others.

It might be a good idea to find a pic of her in a uniform that she might wear when her powers are activated.

And I totally wouldn't mind seeing your other character.  ;D
All about what I like!

Nazora

Chrystal

Sure, you can keep any existing character, and reuse them as much as you like.

Oh, I say keep her a secret for now, adds to the suspense, though it probably won't remain a secret for long.

Etah

I like this character, just try not to play him as too dry and silent. We'll need to see his civilian side as well as his warrior side. You put a lot of effort into his military career and it seems to work. I think you have a character that would be worth making another character around. I like your attention to detail. I like that you research your subject matter.

I'm thinking you may have to play this character as a plain security officer at the university for a bit to flesh him out before he starts becoming a savior. But I could see a lot of things happening around him should you keep him around.

What I'm seeing, is that SoS possibly had a hand in bringing him to the university.

If he's a candidate for Savior he needs some latent powers. I would think something along the lines of military training, though maybe a bit cute and exaggerated. You might want to add something to your profile to create a style for him when fighting evil monsters.

I already have a picture for him if his induction as a Savior is completed.
All about what I like!

Silk

yeah figured my character wouldn't be up to par. Geuss I'll drop out. Obviously not in the right frame of mind, nor what you guys are looking for. Thanks for your consideration and sorry for wasting your time.

Etah dna Evol

Latent powers added and I had planned to play him as a security officer at the university for awhile. From school to the Maritime Self Defense Force he has lived a cloistered life and hasn't had the room or ability to grow as a person. I figured he could gain more character as cute high school seniors swoon over him and teachers hit on him etc. I also figure that one person within SoS brought him over with an agenda and that most of the university isn't aware of his elite military training. This will set him up for attention getting heroics and that could lead him him to becoming a Savior.

Don't give up Silk. As a former IRL Army medic, being a combat medic can be fun, you won't have to be a Savior to be in the mix. Or if you don't want to be support, maybe Nazora will let you play a Savior that has already successfully transformed from a male into a female.
- Etah dna Evol

TURN ONs and TURN OFFs

Nazora

Silk, my apologies, I was just trying to help fit your character into the game. It is certainly still open to you and you haven't wasted anybodies time. If you are really going for the gender change element then there are many ways that can be worked in. She can have already completed her transformation, she can be recruited by the remaining MGAP organization (which still exists alongside SoS), or she can still be recruited by SoS. Healing powers are generally considered support powers, so it is not debasing to be in a support role. If you change your mind and want to work out a character and a plan you are always welcome back.
All about what I like!