The Old West...Profile Code in First Post! PM or Post in Forum Once Filled Out

Started by Cal1496, July 15, 2010, 10:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeacethatPowerbrings

I am filled with recollections of lives I have not lived.

Carlissa

I already looked there. Unless I read over it, the article only said that they were dresses...
"Damn kids doing work. Back in my day we worked 18 hours a day and still had time for 12 hours of fun before a solid 8 hours of sleep in 24 hours".

Cal1496

Eh go with that then, I mean just describe it enough that our imaginations take over and that'll be fine lol

RedEve

Quote from: Cal1496 on July 18, 2010, 01:43:16 PM
RedEve-Totally putting Don in the vote for that one.  Picked her up in Mexico a few years back and kept around her around because she's beautiful and doesn't bug him( to much for being with other woman) lol

So is it love or does he see her as nothing more than his "property"?
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Cal1496

Well it ain't love, but it isn't she is property either.  It may seem like that people but he would care for her, wanting her to be contented if not happy.

Haibane

Beware of using clothing that is too smart and fashionable. This is the pioneer frontier so women's clothing would be very plain and workmanlike. Dresses would be ankle length with maybe bonnets and dull cottons and woollens in browns, greys, blues and perhaps some brighter checks or ginghams. Also being out west beyond the fashionable fringe back in D.C., New York or Philly, it would be quite possible that Civil War Era clothing styles still prevailed for the ladies.

Here are some sites:

http://www.calicoannie.net/oldwestandpioneerclothing.htm

http://sallycdesigns.com/VictorianMainPage.html

http://www.ushist.com/19th-century_wardrobe_f.shtml

http://www.wix.com/Oldenjel/ARK-Historic-Clothing

You could also try Google image searching for terms like 'saloon gals' or 'pioneer women' or 'wild west women' that sort of thing. Or you could try Googling for images under Western film titles.

If you wanted a bit part or a short walk on female part, Cal I might do you a saloon girl or a homesteaders wife or something. Maybe Mrs Townsfolk #2 perhaps who just happens to be passing by the bank at the wrong time...

Kaizen

Here's my first draft character.  If anything doesn't jive- let me know and I'll edit. 

Name: Coyote George
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 175
Physical Description: Coyote George has geometric tattoos decorating his arms, upper chest, and face that are characteristic of the Comanche.  He wears a tophat, bowtie, vest, jacket, and slacks (all black) taken from a recently deceased businessman's wardrobe but no shirt.  His feet are covered by buckskin moccasins and his hair is braided to a ponytail that reaches halfway down his back.
Weapons Carried: Tomahawk, knife, .44-40 rifle and pistol on a gunbelt.

Haibane

Source of lots of great period photos - good for characters, buildings, vehicles, locations...

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/award97/codhtml/hawpsubjindex1.html

Cal1496

Kaizen- Seems more than fine, so much so already got him on the first post.

Haibane- Well don't you just come out of left field guns blazing? lol  And ya I'm sure we can up with a minor role for ya if that's all you're looking to have.

Carlissa

Would dress V-3050 in the second link of Haibane's post be a good dress to use? I would post a picture, but I'm deprived of a computer at the moment...
"Damn kids doing work. Back in my day we worked 18 hours a day and still had time for 12 hours of fun before a solid 8 hours of sleep in 24 hours".

pendarious

*laughing* am i the only truly ruthless criminal here?
Psycho Mantis: You must spend every day pretending to act like you're falsely letting on that you aren't not unbetraying someone you don't not purport to allegedly not work for but really do! How do you keep all this shit straight without having an aneurysm?
Revolver Ocelot: *shrug* Practice.
—The Last Days Of FOXHOUND

PeacethatPowerbrings

Not as long as you distinguish being ruthless from being a scoundrel, or insane.

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: pendarious on July 18, 2010, 06:00:03 PM
*laughing* am i the only truly ruthless criminal here?

So it would appear.

We could start with a scene where he encounters my character at a well as she gets water.

pendarious

well actually i don't think ruthless is the best word for it.....more like somewhat sadistic.......at times.
Psycho Mantis: You must spend every day pretending to act like you're falsely letting on that you aren't not unbetraying someone you don't not purport to allegedly not work for but really do! How do you keep all this shit straight without having an aneurysm?

PeacethatPowerbrings

Yeah, in that you'd be alone. Heh.

Haibane

Quote from: Carlissa on July 18, 2010, 05:47:40 PM
Would dress V-3050 in the second link of Haibane's post be a good dress to use? I would post a picture, but I'm deprived of a computer at the moment...
http://sallycdesigns.com/V-3050.html

It's rather gorgeous isn't it? Such a pretty colour. Its a ball gown so maybe a girl might wear that on Sundays or maybe in the saloon if it was a high class place. I can't help thinking that its a tiny bit fancy for the wild frontier unless maybe she was given it as a gift by a doting rich suitor.

For horseback riding with the gang I think you need something a bit less showy though, mores the pity.

This one seems to be an 1873-1874 day dress. Still quite pretty and flouncy but a bit more practical.

Carlissa

The dress is nice, but I was thinking of something sleeveless and exposing her cleavage... Are there any day dresses with those things?

Haibane

Not on an 1870s day dress I don't think, no. Not unless you were a whore... LOL.

Everything is covered except the face and the hands. The ball gown you like is really for evening wear - as I said you could wear it in a saloon possibly but not out riding. There is of course the possibility that your girl was wearing it to a smart social event and for some reason you can cook up she had to leave suddenly - maybe a kidnap? I can't think of much else though.

Our nice Mr Cal may wish to tweak history a little though and allow something raunchier.

Carlissa

She could dress like a whore... What do the clothes look like?

Haibane

Obviously a modern take on a Western saloon gal's outfit which isn't meant to be too serious, particularly the boots and hat but, you get the idea.

I do remember seeing some western once where a whorehouse was featured and the girls all ran about in knee length bloomers and white cotton chemise tops with corsets over them. That sort of thing.

Decent women are all covered up:

http://michaelmay.us/08blog/0808f_comanchemoon.jpg

I think we need the GM to give some guidelines on how accurate he'd like clothing to be.

Cal1496

And thus I step in!  Thanks for the great set up Haibane  ;)

As for how historically accurate the clothing is, not that big of deal.  Because not only do you have the issues of this is a frontier, bit behind except for a few just outa east, and not accounting for individual taste, it comes down to that this is a role play.  And while yes realism is going to be a big part of this, I mean that for more social, racial, attitude and gun fights.  Clothing while a big part of the setting, is something most of us give our unique spin of imagination too anyway.  So while I might describe Don in a very painfully specific way, down to his button size, you're going to imagine him pretty much how you want.  So don't fret about the clothing all that much.  Just make period-esc and we'll call it a success.  You want to make a bit more sexual than the actual thing might of been, go ahead.  Just do be surprised when she gets sexual attention.  The leash Don has on these boys in a long and very rarely pulled tight.

Oh and boys, Don's the bad guy of the group...Trust me 8-)

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Cal1496 on July 18, 2010, 07:24:36 PM
And thus I step in!  Thanks for the great set up Haibane  ;)

As for how historically accurate the clothing is, not that big of deal.  Because not only do you have the issues of this is a frontier, bit behind except for a few just outa east, and not accounting for individual taste, it comes down to that this is a role play.  And while yes realism is going to be a big part of this, I mean that for more social, racial, attitude and gun fights.  Clothing while a big part of the setting, is something most of us give our unique spin of imagination too anyway.  So while I might describe Don in a very painfully specific way, down to his button size, you're going to imagine him pretty much how you want.  So don't fret about the clothing all that much.  Just make period-esc and we'll call it a success.  You want to make a bit more sexual than the actual thing might of been, go ahead.  Just do be surprised when she gets sexual attention.  The leash Don has on these boys in a long and very rarely pulled tight.

Oh and boys, Don's the bad guy of the group...Trust me 8-)

Sounds good.  Besides, I have a gut feeling my character will often be deprived of clothes, so...

Haibane

Wise decision Cal.

Well I'll just sit back and watch. When you need random lady #1 just give me a shout.

Or should that be 'holler'? ;)

pendarious

K well here we go my character in the code bracket thing *shrugs*k

Name:[James]
Height:[5 ft]
Weight:[140 lbs]
Physical Description:[short but fairly built. some what broad shouldered. black hair with a mustache (think yosemity sam mustache) cold grey eyes, light skin for a cowboy, fairly dirty from being out and about all the time, wears a Red button down shirt with a long black duster coat, black cowboy's hat, brown leather pants, brown leather gloves, belt with a holster storing a six shooter (i'm not familiar with weapons pre 1860's), black snakeskin boots with brass spurs. a blue bandanna adorns his neck.
] Weapons Carried:[an old six shooter]

Cal1496

Well, got enough profiles to get us going so I'll get the actual role play thread up tonight or tomorrow!