Long Live the Fighters [Frank Herbert's Dune]

Started by The Dark Raven, April 03, 2010, 01:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Dark Raven

It is a time of turmoil in the lives of many, the Great Houses fighting for control of the great commodity of the universe—the spice mélange.  The Spacing Guild plays all parties against the middle, so as to keep an uninterrupted flow of Spice to their addicted Navigators, that make fold-space travel possible to those that can pay the price required. 

In the shadows, the Blessed Sisters of the Bene Gesserit keep record of every breeding going back centuries to bring themselves closer to achieving their great goal of bringing into being the Kwisatz Haderach.  Their ways are secret, known only to an elite few, but their precious breeding program holds the entire universe in sway.  Their Sisters are married or otherwise attached to powerful men of the universe, and their breeding habits are dictated by the Sisterhood.  In their ultimate goal of finding their Messiah—one they could control—they tightened their own political control on the Great Houses themselves.

The only unknown in the equation remained the desert planet Arrakis.  The vastness of its deserts held a people who held a dream of a coming paradise, brought to them from an off-worlder—one they called the Lisan al-Gaib.  This man would bring the universe to its knees, and bring life-giving water and green to their world, so they keep the planet in trust for their Messiah, fending foreigners off the Sands, and away from the great sandworms and their hoards of mélange.

This roleplay is set in the universe created by Frank Herbert for his DUNE saga.  I am looking for those interested in playing in this universe on Arrakis.  There will be no canon characters played, and all characters must be ORIGINAL.

Setting:  Arrakis, pre-Harkonnen occupation, during the stewardship of Hasimir Fenring (approximately 60 years before the appointment of Vladimir Harkonnen as the CHOAM Steward)

Please respond to this thread if you are interested.

[b][i]Character Form[/i][/b]

[u]Name:[/u]

[u]Age:[/u]

[u]House/Affiliation:[/u]

[u]Appearance:[/u]

[u]Photographic Appearance:[/u]

[u]Personality:[/u]

[u]Brief History:[/u]

OOC Thread:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=65249.0

Character Thread:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=65250.0

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

aymelekT

OOOooh you know I'm all over this...I'll build a character for it tonight for sure.

Thank you so much Daylily!!

PrimalChaos

"That which issues from the heart alone / Will bend the hearts of others to your own." - Faust
Primal's Urges (Plot Ideas)  Ж  Ons and Offs

A&A: Available.

RubySlippers

Dune, how much do you need to know about it? I saw the miniseries movies about it and that crappy older movie where it was far to overacted in my opinion and to short.

I  can always Google away for ideas to.

The Dark Raven

We're going more in the style of the movie (as the miniseries took too many liberties with the books), and ultimately the books themselves.

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

MagicalPen

The Spice must flow!

-_-

Been a while since I read the books, but I can't resist the Spice!

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

ChaoticSky

Quote from: Daylily on April 03, 2010, 06:21:23 PM
We're going more in the style of the movie (as the miniseries took too many liberties with the books), and ultimately the books themselves.
the miniserise took too many liberties? are you sure you didnt get that backwards? the miniserise was rather faithful to the original source material, the novels, though there are a few issues... on the whole its massively more loyal than lynch's movie, where he took all kinds of artistic licence.... rain, blood sucking Crysknives, weriding moduals, telepathy, etc none of which are loyal to the books

if this is going to be based on the movie... then your not really doing Dune at all. just something that vaguely looks like Dune.

The Dark Raven

This thread is for recruiting for the story, not for arguing cinematic technicalities.  :-)

As such, I noted that the style would be somewhat in the vein of the Lynch movie.  The heart of the story will come from the Harkonnen (or slightly pre-Harkonnen) era of Arrakis occupation, to tell a story not fully fleshed out by the author.   

ChaoticSky

im just sad :'( i was really excited when i saw a Dune RP. only to be crushed when i saw you were infact following Lynch's Dune, instead of the actual Dune.

anywho, ill stop bothering you ^_^

Urbanzorro

I'm interested, though I'd like to know what you're thinking of as far as plot/direction?
I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

The Dark Raven

Zorro, please check the top post.  It has been amended recently as to timeline. 

Plot/direction are still in the immediate works, though leaning more toward the interaction between the occupying force in Arrakeen (at this point, House Corrino, and possibly moving into House Harkonnen) and the Fremen natives.

Urbanzorro

Good to know, I'll post up a character asap

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

The Dark Raven

RubySlippers

I found a character idea if we are kind of following the timeline and the old movie a woman Ginaz Swordmaster the people were egalitarian and unlike most of the planets women and men were apparently both trained in war just well the women usually didn't travel off world due to the need to bear three children I suppose.

But if the dates are right the War of Assasines ended House Ginaz recently so I was thinking of playing an heir a bit distant they missed the last legitimate heir. And well is on Dune to learn from the Fremen and hone her skills even adding in Bene Gesserit basic teachings to form a new and stealthy approach to Ginaz fighting. Both to start a a new hidden order of Swordmasters someday and to gain revenge retaking her place and raising her people again to a Major House if not in her lifetime thereafter. Once she sees her vengence on the enemies of her family the Emperor and the pawn House used to take House Ginaz out. She would be now in the role of a swordmaster for hire Swordmaster Antela Cantos of Ginaz. She still has the ring of her family the seal that is her sign of office but doesn't wear it openly. How about the Shadows of Ginaz for a name of her school?

The Dark Raven

Thanks, Ruby!  I've sent you a mail to see if I can unravel your idea (not sure i quite understand).  I will be posting a form either tonight or tomorrow night. ;-)

So far, there are two characters in the works:
A Fremen Sayyadina
The Imperial Planetologist

PrimalChaos

Here's a great resource for anyone interested in Dune: http://dune.wikia.com

The Dune Wiki does a real good job of differentiating between actual Dune materials and stuff that's not canon.

Also, as far as the Lynch hate, I gotta say: the Lynch movie captured the style and feel of the Dune universe dead on, but I don't think we want to incorporate any of the changes to the world he made, like rain, wyrding modules, etc.
"That which issues from the heart alone / Will bend the hearts of others to your own." - Faust
Primal's Urges (Plot Ideas)  Ж  Ons and Offs

A&A: Available.

The Dark Raven

No, I'd definitely want to stick to Frank's canon, that's for sure. 

Thanks for putting up the link, Primal.  That should help the "look" of the universe for those who have not read the books. :-)

Urbanzorro

I'm considering playing a sardaukar or perhaps a facedancer, would either of those fit in well with how you invision the game playing out??

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

The Dark Raven

I think either would work.  Don't forget to check the first post for updates. ;-)  Action will be on Arrakis.

Urbanzorro

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.