News:

Main Menu

Rest in Peace, Stephen

Started by Vekseid, March 14, 2018, 12:40:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phoenixrisen

Such an accomplished and inspirational man may die in the flesh, but he will never truly die. Not when so many people use his work and continue on paths he made possible.

Take your rest now in piece, Mr. Hawking, if anyone has earned it, you have.
~A full heart has room for all things, an empty heart room for nothing.~
PM's and Discord messages always welcome.
New folks friendly.

Write a love story with me? Updated 3/30
Curious how to fan the flames?
Updated 9/21

Giantmutantcrab

I am by no means an intelligent or well-educated man. Having barely passed high-school, I have always looked at scientific minds with awe and admiration. Something akin to the first monkey that approaches the black monolith in 2001: a space odessey. Not quite understand what is present before it, but knowing that something of absolute importance is before it.

Mr. Hawking made the complex, often difficult scientific area of physics accessible to anyone, even individuals like me. Someone who is able to explain things like black holes and subatomic particles in a manner that *I* can comprehend is truly someone who masters his or her domain.

It's with great sadness that I learned of Mr. Hawking's death today.

I will go and purchase his book to read it. Because the least I can do is put in effort to understand the depth and complexity of this man's scientific expertise.

Goodbye Mr. Hawking.

Formless

HockeyGod

Rest in peace to a great advocate for people with disabilities.

Naiah

Always remember to look at the stars <3

Empyrean

Rest in peace, Professor Hawking. And thank you, for everything.

Beguile's Mistress

I've always thought of him a someone who was able to transcend the restraints of mind and body and allow his true nature to show through.  Only a mind that can let go of all that holds us back could accomplish what he has done for mankind.

Rest in peace, Stephen.

Nadir

I met him once, when I was an early teen - in a movie theatre of all places. I don't even remember what the film was, but I remember him.

Rest well, Stephen.

Livrainbows

RIP to a man who showed that no matter what life throws at you, you can always come out on top.

Chewy

What a wonderful genius he was. He was a brilliant mind. It is a sad day. We were so lucky to live a life with a man of his intellect. <3

Amarlo

Another great mind missing from our world. Although you have passed it will be long before you are forgotten. While your brilliance will be among the most recalled, I will always remember your compassion and wonderful sense of humor. Thank  you for your contributions to our lives and planet. Rest in Happiness, Professor Hawking.

Seduce my mind and my body will follow.
Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

Nico

This is something my mother wrote on one of her blogs today:

"Dear Stephen, all your life you tried to understand the universe and tried to make us understand it. Now your work can truly start to understand it all and each time we look up to the stars, we can try to catch a glimpse of your wisdom and your insight. I cannot tell you to rest in peace because I know you never will rest. Instead, you will strive on, explore and try to unravel mysteries."

He will never be truly gone as long as the universe exists. His spirit will be there.  :'(

CrownedSun

This hit me pretty hard when I first saw this earlier. <.<

Arianna

Quote from: Nico on March 14, 2018, 04:04:03 PM
This is something my mother wrote on one of her blogs today:

"Dear Stephen, all your life you tried to understand the universe and tried to make us understand it. Now your work can truly start to understand it all and each time we look up to the stars, we can try to catch a glimpse of your wisdom and your insight. I cannot tell you to rest in peace because I know you never will rest. Instead, you will strive on, explore and try to unravel mysteries."

He will never be truly gone as long as the universe exists. His spirit will be there.  :'(

That is absolutely beautiful, Nic. <3 She is absolutely right, he will live forever, literally speaking. ...and so will all his amazing work.

Amarlo

Anyone else find it intriguing that Hawking passed away on Einstein's birthday? ;)

Seduce my mind and my body will follow.
Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

Oniya

Quote from: Amarlo on March 15, 2018, 07:14:31 AM
Anyone else find it intriguing that Hawking passed away on Einstein's birthday? ;)

I'd more noted that he passed away on Pi Day.  (3/14 in US notation.)

Now I'm intrigued that Einstein was born on Pi Day.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Bludmagnus

I have to say that, after so many times it being an internet hoax, I had to check for myself.

In pace requiescat, Stephen.
"Shame is an unhappy emotion invented by the hypocritcally pious in order to exploit others."

Personal self-quote:  Jaded is having the only key to the handcuffs and locks.

For consideration I link my O/O post here:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=42014.0

Haibane

I heard this news on the radio yesterday afternoon (UK time) as I was driving. I had to pull over and stop and cry.

Hawking was a stunning, amazing, beautiful, brilliant, funny and inspiring person. His drive to push on despite all that was placed in his path is the thing I have taken most from his accomplishments. He is only the second physicist to have ever filled the Albert Hall in London to capacity. The first was Albert Einstein in 1933.

I take strength from the certainty that scientific endeavour will stride on and provide humanity with ever greater knowledge and more meaningful benefits. Stephen blazed a spectacular path. Others will widen and lengthen it and in time we will enjoy a wide vista of incredible understanding.

The man and his achievements will never be forgotten.

Cecilia

When my dad was diagnosed with ALS, we always looked at Stephen Hawking as a source of comfort. He was An inspiration of sorts.  If he could survive with ALS why not others? There was definitely something special about who he was.

Deamonbane

Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Oniya

Those .webp images don't show up for me, even when I try pasting them directly in my browser.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Deamonbane

Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Thera Regina

And now Professor Hawking will change Heaven in the same way that he changed the world. God Speed Professor Hawking!

Request Thread: Here
O/O’s: Here
A/A’s: Here

Mathim

Thank you for brightening up some of my favorite TV shows with your lovely sense of humor. I look forward to the tribute The Big Bang Theory will inevitably give you in gratitude for your guest appearances, and hope that others do the same in some way.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Alhanna

When I saw the news on my Facebook feed, I did a double-take. Surely not, I thought. The man seemed impossible to stop. His intellect was incredible.

Then I checked, and it was true. I was deeply touched and saddened by his passing. He had a great sense of humor in the Big Bang Theory. I never forgot seeing him in an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation, where he played himself. He was just one of those greats you just knew about despite never an actual education about them.

Now he's gone. He's gone to rejoin the stars.

Rest in peace, dear sir.

The Oath of the Drake

She's real, she's deep, she's logical and mystical. She believes in kindness and oneness and romance. She's sensitive and distant, a warrior, a lover. She believes in road trips to the stars and dancing with the universe. She's fearless and gentle, wondrous and brave. She lives in waterfalls and forests and sunsets and galaxies. She's the artist, the thinker, the poem and the dream. - Creig Crippen