What Speed Do You Read?

Started by Nadir, February 06, 2014, 07:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nadir

I'm a dyslexic, so things like writing and reading are rather more difficult for me, but this test got me wondering about people who fill their lives with words. Happily, you guys get to be my guinea pigs!

Aren't you glad? ;)

here's the test

I ask that you put your results behind spoilers, so not to intimidate those about to take the test.

My Results
You read 264 words per minute.
That makes you 6% faster than the national average.

This really surprises me, I always considered myself a slow reader. I usually have to re-read a good handful of words on each page, and sometimes whole sentences. I had to re-read seven words on the test, and re-read a sentence twice. I did not expect to get above the average.

Inkidu

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
You read 320 words per minute.
That makes you 28% faster than the national average.

That doesn't surprise me. I don't read that fast all the time, but I can push myself. I like to read at a more... leisurely pace.

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Blythe

My results

You read 599 words per minute.
That makes you 140% faster than the national average.

I read rather quickly, I suppose.

impishcharm

My Results
You read 324 words per minute.
That makes you 30% faster than the national average.

That is surprising. My friends are usually reading circles around me.  :-[

You know you hypnotize me, always

Shjade

Numbers
You read 369 words per minute.
That makes you 48% faster than the national average.

My score is multiples of 3. This pleases me.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Serephino

You read 359 words per minute.
That makes you 44% faster than the national average.

That's not too bad I guess.

Inkidu

Of course, ask people how much they remember.

I can remember major plot points and subplots (or major information) for about five years before I have to re-read something (unless it's for funsies).
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Shjade

How well I remember something is pretty much directly related to how much I enjoyed/was interested in it.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Outsider

guess I'm fast
You read 665 words per minute.
That makes you 166% faster than the national average.

Lilias

Maaaaybe...
You read 519 words per minute.
That makes you 108% faster than the national average.

I read a lot faster on an e-reader than a printed page, and that certainly skewed the results. ;)
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Mnemaxa

754 WPM, at 202% of the average.

I'm not really surprised, nor will most people who know me be.  My retention is solely conceptual, sadly - my memory relies of physical touch more than sight or sound.  I still have to look up things I should know by heart after decades of using some of my books.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

jouzinka

You read 222 words per minute.
That makes you 11% slower than the national average.

Guess my ESL-ness plays into this.  :-[
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Koren

You read 1,100 words per minute.
That makes you 340% faster than the national average.

I did not think that I read that fast, especially being dyslexic, but I suppose it comes from reading from when I was little, and reading instead of playing with the friends I didnt have at school.
I did only get 2 out of 3 questions right, but i tend to not be able to remember such small details on a first reading any way, Im used to reading my books, and even re-reading my roleplays, at least three or four times, even for my non-favorites.

Thorne

Huhn.
You read 772 words per minute.
That makes you 209% faster than the national average.

Interesting. I did it twice - first result was a little slower, despite a shorter sample... although it was something I'd never seen before, and the second was an excerpt from a book I own, so that might have skewed it a bit. <_<  O:)
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

TwistedAlice

This makes me happy, I read a lot quicker than I gave myself credit for, and got all 3 questions right! Yay me :3

lilhobbit37

You read 641 words per minute.
That makes you 156% faster than the national average.
Weee!

Torch

You read 1,560 words per minute.
That makes you 524% faster than the national average

Ehh, not surprised.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

Oreo

You read 343 words per minute.
That makes you 37% faster than the national average.

I expected it to be slower since I enjoy taking my time reading. I like to let their flavor mingle and melt around my synapses until the words become visual.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Nico

You read 560 words per minute.
That makes you 124% faster than the national average.

Does not surprise me. I am used to read fast due to my work. There is often a lot to read. Practice and all.

Oniya

You read 1,042 words per minute.
That makes you 317% faster than the national average.  Three out of three questions right.

And here I thought I'd been slowing down recently...
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Hades

You read 713 words per minute.
That makes you 185% faster than the national average.

Not too surprising for me since I can finish a 600-page hard back novel in afternoon if left alone.

The Muse

You read 951 words per minute.
That makes you 280% faster than the national average.

This is about normal

Grave

Results

You read 574 words per minute.
That makes you 130% faster than the national average.

Braioch

Cripes, I left the page before copy pasta could occur

But it was like mid to high 400's
I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

yobo

You read 491 words per minute.
That makes you 96% faster than the national average.

Which is about the same thing I scored the last time I took one of these tests.

Faustus

And I'm ridiculously fast. . .

You read 1,461 words per minute.
That makes you 484% faster than the national average.

*cough* I swear I didn't skim. The prompt I got was ridiculously easy.

“You may my glories and my state depose,
But not my griefs; still am I king of those.”

ON's and OFF's || Plots and Ideas || A/A's and Owed Posts [Updated 02/12! Please see.]

SheerFantasia

Reading all three texts, I averaged at about 402 words/minute, at about 61% above the national average.

Do people really read so slowly? lol  :P

Nadir

Hmn, it's my suspicion the test is a bit bias to make the testee feel good and therefore more likely to share the test with friends, but do understand everyone on E reads, and reads a lot, so there's that to consider.

Fabjuth

You read 592 words per minute.
That makes you 137% faster than the national average.

At the bottom the developers posted http://www.free-speed-reading.com/articles/what-is-the-average-reading-speed-of-americans which I think the test is based on. If so, it's based on an average of 410 WPM from a different test.
"Cry havoc" said he who fought chaos with chaos, "and let loose the grapes of wrath!"

Kane

You read 775 words per minute.
That makes you 210% faster than the national average.

English is my second language though, so you got to give me some slack... :P

SavageBeast

Dyslexics of the world UNTIE !
As expected

You read 316 words per minute.
That makes you 26% faster than the national average.

rou

412-509 words (I did it twice).

Trying to fit so many books into my day, I'm often tempted to try and learn to speed read. Sometimes I've considered using software that flashes by one word at a time. But I realized that when I do that I'm missing all of the nuances of the text. It's better to power through parts of text that seem less significant or less entertaining but overall you miss important structure like paragraph breaks and stuff. >>

// A&A: July 17, 2022 //
“succubus angel” — anonymous

RainyHigh

1st try is
Uhhh....
You read 411 words per minute.
That makes you 64% faster than the national average.

Then I realized I needed to pay more attention to detail instead of reading fast...

2nd try is
pretty much the same but a wee bit higher
You read 444 words per minute.
That makes you 78% faster than the national average.
Rainy's Ons and Offs
Currently not open for solo stories

Kuroneko

You read 704 words per minute.
That makes you 182% faster than the national average.

I should probably try it when I don't have a migraine, lol.
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

Kane

Quote from: Fabjuth on February 25, 2014, 09:29:56 AM
You read 592 words per minute.
That makes you 137% faster than the national average.

At the bottom the developers posted http://www.free-speed-reading.com/articles/what-is-the-average-reading-speed-of-americans which I think the test is based on. If so, it's based on an average of 410 WPM from a different test.

[url=http://this link]

The url should be there, and the 'this link' text where the url is, just though you might want to get that fixed :P

Nadir

Quote from: SavageBeast on March 08, 2014, 12:21:11 PM
Dyslexics of the world UNTIE !
As expected

You read 316 words per minute.
That makes you 26% faster than the national average.
woot! \o/

I didn't actually see what you did there for an embarrassingly long time *laughs*

Dhi

Quote from: Dim Hon on February 25, 2014, 08:56:11 AM
Hmn, it's my suspicion the test is a bit bias to make the testee feel good and therefore more likely to share the test with friends, but do understand everyone on E reads, and reads a lot, so there's that to consider.
From my earliest memories of school I tested as a college student when it came to reading. I know the same is true for a lot of us. Now this test has ranked me at about 400 wpm, which is below the average college student.

This test seems to be telling me that I'm a worse reader now than I was when I was eight years old. I wouldn't say it makes me feel good, but I do consider it exactly as credible as every other internet IQ test out there.

Formless

My results
You read 522 words per minute.
That makes you 109% faster than the national average.

I suppose that's good since English's a second language.

Stella

You read 597 words per minute.
That makes you 139% faster than the national average.

I guess it's an American average? Would be interesting to know what my average is for my own country!

alextaylor

You read 702 words per minute.
That makes you 181% faster than the national average.

I'm mildly dyslexic and English is my second language :P

Speed reading doesn't really care for either. Like I can read words all jumbled up and still sort out the meaning. Speed reading was an important skill for college.

I heard Americans read a lot faster than other countries, though. My own country treats speed reading as a myth.
O/O

Iniquitous

You read 939 words per minute.
That makes you 276% faster than the national average.

Now if only I typed that fast...
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

ererruz

You read 438 words per minute.
That makes you 75% faster than the national average.

Doesn't surprise me. I know I like to take time while reading for leisure, but at the same time I have to read very quickly (and still pay attention to all the details) for work.

Marchoisas

You read 388 words per minute.
That makes you 55% faster than the national average.

I impressed myself... English reading isnt something I rush-thru usually, but looks like I can read pretty fast if I need to.
Danger only makes things more fun!

Reached my limit of active RPs, so... efective now, I'm no longer available for more RPs until further update. Sorry peeps!

Wheeler97

I took it three times...

My three results were 203 WPM (19% slower), 264 WPM (6% faster), and 244 WPM, (2% slower).

The First prompt had commentary/dialog. I believe I slow myself down when reading dialog, to the point of a common conversation. Aside from that, I've always been a slower reader, though not due to any trouble.

The average seems to be around 250 words per minute, so every percentage point is 2.5 words per minute.

rou

Quote from: roulette on March 08, 2014, 01:02:03 PM
412-509 words (I did it twice).

Trying to fit so many books into my day, I'm often tempted to try and learn to speed read. Sometimes I've considered using software that flashes by one word at a time. But I realized that when I do that I'm missing all of the nuances of the text. It's better to power through parts of text that seem less significant or less entertaining but overall you miss important structure like paragraph breaks and stuff. >>

I took it again because it showed up. Since I last did this, I've decided to try and read slower, actually, and really appreciate each word, phrase, sentence, rather than breezing through a story. So my speed downgraded to 323 words per minute. But I think that's better for me, and better for the enjoyment of my reading as a whole.

// A&A: July 17, 2022 //
“succubus angel” — anonymous

Drake Valentine

You read 710 words per minute.
That makes you 184% faster than the national average.

Seems legit.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

TaintedAndDelish

You read 270 words per minute.
That makes you 8% faster than the national average.

Eh.. My reading speed really depends on what I'm reading and why. For some reason with this text, I found that I was having trouble paying attention to it and was spacing out a little while reading.  I was surprised that I got the retention questions right.

BAMF

You read 428 words per minute.
That makes you 71% faster than the national average.

I think I would have done better if I'd realized where the "finished" button was at the bottom of the text. I ended up skipping a line or two as I was scrolling to find that button. x.x

ETA: I took it again once I realized where the "finished" button was to try and get a more accurate result.

You read 559 words per minute.
That makes you 124% faster than the national average.
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
by a series of small things
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

Soul Shocker

The 1st has a couple of strange wording, and the 2nd wasn't so heavy on description where else 3rd is.

You read 502 words per minute.
That makes you 101% faster than the national average.

and

You read 639 words per minute.
That makes you 156% faster than the national average.

You read 585 words per minute.
That makes you 134% faster than the national average.

Oniya

I have confirmed that I can still read the average paperback in an hour and a half.  I just wish I hadn't started the book in the tub around midnight.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Kuruwa

I got 347 words... I'm pretty sure that I'm a slow reader, because when I read a sentence, I imagine the scene in my head, as detailed as possible, and I also study the makeup of each paragraph and how the writer composes the sentences... I've never been a speed reader.
My Ideas
within the dark I hide my face
I'm a woman on fire... and it frightens me so

Wolfling72

You read 586 words per minute.

O/O's
Snippets
A/A's
Wolfi Recommends- changes weekly
Keep it vampirated and melanated.

Dale

Tested myself twice. For pleasure I read and savour
for work I skim read looking for information .

Amazee

I read actually a lot faster than I thought that I could.

Kitsunetsuki

You read 332 words per minute.
That makes you 33% faster than the national average.
I'm happy with it. I'm in no rush ;)
[tr]
[td]
O.Os~A.As (around but not seeking)
Ideas (up-to-date)
Poetry~Singing~Wiki~Characters
How the men of Elliquiy have ruined me[/td][/tr][/table]

Soumis

617 words a minute
I knew I read fast, but whew!

Caehlim

results
You read 1,100 words per minute.
That makes you 340% faster than the national average.

This isn't really quite accurate, I read a lot faster with a small passage like that but I slow down getting through a larger or more interesting book.
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

Ethoxyethane

Results,
You read 866 words per minute.
That makes you 246% faster than the national average.
but that's just reading, and a small section.  If I were to read the entire book it would be much slower pace because I like to take my time and envision all that I read, and ingest the words printed on the page on some deeper level.

Dorcus

You read 2,173 words per minute.
That makes you 769% faster than the national average.

Okay.... I may have cheated a little and recognized the excerpt that the gave me. (It was Alice in Wonderland's "I'm late!" scene. C'mon...) But I know from previous tests and speed reading work that I read at
around 1500 words per minute. 1200 if it's a difficult text, and 900 is I'm enjoying it, I slow down to act out dialogue in my head....

Deamonbane

375 words per minute, 5 out of 6 right answers
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

amarxnthine

483 words per minute, faster than 82% of others.

Not too bad, faster than I thought it would be - and it was hard for me to follow the passage with all the consonant drops and things.

VioletPanda

Wow, I'm kinda surprised. It was a small passage though...

You read 686 words per minute.
That makes you 174% faster than the national average.
Current Muse: Meh, not super driven right now

My A/A PageMy O/Os

Ket

not really surprised
239 words per minute, 4% below average.
I'm not really surprised, because I've had cognitive decline due to my epilepsy being uncontrolled for so long.
I'm totally cool with my score. I'll just be over here, reading at my own little leisurely pace.  :)
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Zelta Runa

70% above national average
Whoa. That actually blew me away. Now I feel bad.
“ All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”
— Gandalf

— Ω —
BACK… IN A LIMITED CAPACITY
Requests
Absences & Apologies
Ons and Offs

marblesoda

All questions accurately answered (this may be because I've read War of the Worlds 700 times though), my reading speed is.. 479 per minute. *sigh* I've slowed down quite a lot in my old age.
"Do you know what that really means? A knight in shining armor?" "A hero who saves the day." "No. A knight in shining armor never did nothing for nobody. He never fought. A knight in dented, scraped armor, now that's what you want."

LostInTheMist

669 per minute.

Though I had a baseball game on the radio on in the background, so I'll give it another try when I'm not distracted.
My Apologies and Absences  Updated March 24, 2024

My Ons and Offs

My Smutty Ideas
My Serious Ideas

Current Status: Unusually long bout of insomnia is slowing my posting rate.

Warlock

Results
You read 750 words per minute. That makes you 200% faster than the national average.[/Results]
Results
You read 1,238 words per minute. That makes you 395% faster than the national average.[/Results]
Results
You read 1,310 words per minute. That makes you 424% faster than the national average.[/Results]

''One's an anomaly two's a trend''

Being a non-native speaker, I must admit to being somewhat pleased with myself.

eBadger

304 words, 22% faster. 

I'm actually rather shocked I'm that fast.  I think I read a bit oddly; it's very non-linear, and I tend to re-read sections even when I try not to (I went back over lines on that blurb up to three times).  It works for me, though; I enjoy savoring a good book, and my recall from studying texts tends to be significantly better than most others.  Worth taking a bit longer on things. 

I noticed recently that Amazon's ebooks now have an intro blurb with an approximate time to read, which I find the strangest thing.  What am I supposed to do with that information?  This isn't mapquest, it's not about a destination!

BellaVita

Results
You read 584 words per minute.

I need to brush up on my reading skills!

Sadtaco

228. 9%. The way the opening paragraph was written really tripped me up.  But yeah, I already knew I was a bit dyslexic.

Far eyes

238 wpm, really i am not surprised being a tad dyslexic my self, i am not sure how much English not being my first language matters i think i do more reading in English then anything ells. I think i probably read a bit faster when i am reading words that are more familiar but its also the speed i read at when reading books, i also tend to speed up once i get "into it"
What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

What he means: "I like lesbians".
A/A
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=180557.0

DahliaBlossom

Hmmm I guessed about this much
You read 490 words per minute.
That makes you 96% faster than the national average.

I usually remember what I read, especially if I'm enjoying it. if I'm not, then I am just trying to get through it and remember the most important parts. Studying is where this happens. But most fictional stories and when I RP..I remember. Though from this I realize I need to start reading more to get my skills better... It used to be faster.