News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Getting together to play WoW (aimed mostly at EU members)

Started by Haibane, March 05, 2009, 12:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haibane

I've recently had a hankering to do some more group online playing. I did some yonks ago and the buzz you got when a bunch of you were together was good. I thought WoW might be a sensible suggestion since it seems quite popular. I have no funds to buy an account but I'm told you can work up to level 20 in the trial (free) version.

So that's what I'd like to do. I'm a total noob and have never played WoW or know *anything* about it bar what some people told me in the chatroom today.

The whole point of this request is to meet E members online on a WoW server, and have a blast, so for that to happen we need to be there at the same time - duh! - and that means EU based members, in the main. *Unless* you're elsewhere on the planet and your day/night cycle is shifted.

I could be online between, say, 8pm and midnight, BST (British Summer Time) about half the evenings a week. If you're interested, please post here giving your time zone (and if you work nights/shifts whether you can be online between approximately those hours).

Thanks!

setojurai

There ARE freeservers that allow just as much content as the pay servers y'know...

Combicon

I thought they weren't legal or something like that?
Or not official anyways.

setojurai

Generally they'll get slapped with a DCMA if Blizzard doesn't want them up, but that doesn't work if they're based outside the country, which most are nowadays.

Xillen

Quote from: setojurai on March 05, 2009, 12:43:04 PM
There ARE freeservers that allow just as much content as the pay servers y'know...

Yes, and stealing a car is cheaper than buying one...

Haibane

Yep, yep. No rogue servers for me. I would want to play this straight.

setojurai

OKay, your point?  I've seen the freeservers actually be a good thing for Blizzard before, as many people, myself included at one point, swapped from free to pay because of those first glimpses into the game.  I just can't AFFORD the game at the moment.

Xillen

Quote from: setojurai on March 05, 2009, 12:52:06 PMI just can't AFFORD the game at the moment.

Do you go around robbing stores as well, every time you're low on budget and can't afford all you want?

HairyHeretic

Don't play WoW, but I do play WAR, CoH/CoV and Planetside.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

setojurai

No... however it IS my job to go to other countries and kill people.  And you folks call that a good thing.  Now would you like to stop making wildly unballanced comparisions for awhile?

setojurai

However, while we're on the topic, there are plenty of FREE and quite frankly FUN ACTUAL Free MMO's out there.  Not all of them are ungodly difficult to understand like FlyFF.  Some of them are just cute, fun and a blast to play, and you don't pay a cent unless you buy stuff from their store.

Haibane

Seto - please, we were like 2 posts into this thread and it got derailed. Can we put aside the arguments about the merits or otherwise of unlicensed servers and what you do in your day job and get back to the topic? Thank you very much.

Hairy Heretic - hmmm.... I'm such a noob on all this. A bunch of people who regularly use E's chatroom talk about WoW so it seemed the natural choice, and a couple of people there have already shown interest. But really I would just like to explore some online play with friends like I used to do back in my uni days before I had to get serious and earn money. Call it running away from reality if you want but I don't especially care about the platform, just the interaction with people I like ;)

EDIT: Oh, yeah I don't like Sci-fi games, so it would need to be high fantasy of some kind.

setojurai

There's Florensia.  A fantasy game based in a world of high seas adventure as well as fantastic land adventures.

Haibane

This thread is about WoW - please see the thread title. Thanks.

setojurai

*shrugs and wanders off* Don't say I didn't try to help.  Have fun with what you're doing.

Valerian

"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Haibane on March 05, 2009, 01:17:39 PM
Hairy Heretic - hmmm.... I'm such a noob on all this. A bunch of people who regularly use E's chatroom talk about WoW so it seemed the natural choice, and a couple of people there have already shown interest. But really I would just like to explore some online play with friends like I used to do back in my uni days before I had to get serious and earn money. Call it running away from reality if you want but I don't especially care about the platform, just the interaction with people I like ;)

WoW is definitely the biggest, but I just thought I might toss out a few other suggestions. I didn't realise it was only WoW you were interested in.

A lot of the different MMOs will give a 2 week trial. I'm not sure what the current deal with WoW is, as I don't play it.

Quote from: Haibane on March 05, 2009, 01:17:39 PM
EDIT: Oh, yeah I don't like Sci-fi games, so it would need to be high fantasy of some kind.

Of my suggestions then, WAR is the only fantasy one. CoH/CoV is supers (heros and villians respectively) and Planetside is a sci fi MMOFPS.

I'll let those more familiar with WoW fill you in on the details it though.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Teno

It's a 10-day trial, with a few limits on characters and stuff. AFAIK the 10 days begin when you make your account, but I'm not too sure about that.

As I said on IRC, I'll make a character on your server so don't worry about which one you want to go for. I'd suggest a PvE rather than PvP though ;)

Taymynx

I orginally found this place by looking for people who ERP to see if any play WOW and were over 18 (wishing well over). I love the opportunity to provide the fantastic scenery and diverse characters to the ERP game.
I am US - PST though I am online during varying hours. I seem to get to play normal wow with many from Australia and New Zealand on my current server, but you can create up to 50 characters on different realms, so I don't know what type of issue that is.
Wow is $15 per month for ongoing use, which is the cost of 1 movie with popcorn for 2 hours, but Wow is 24/7 for the entire month as you have time. I just don't think this that is an unreasonable investment for adding the visual beauty to ERP as opposed to the pirated servers and don't want to risk my real account to go outside of it. Besides, I have friends employed by Blizz who would be much more understanding of my ERP habit than my theft of their employer habit.
And there is something to be said for ERP with a sugardaddy who can afford participating in my toys.... :P
We could pick a server and set up a guild of E members only, thus knowing that players are both 18 and committed to being discrete on the wow server as far as what is put into open chat...thus not getting us banned.  Besides, then we have the opportunity to go into guild chat and retain privacy within our own when the post warrants.
Let me know.
Like the saying goes, that which doesn't kill me has made a serious tactical misjudgement.
Taymynx 's Storyboard Ons and Offs, The Happy Wife Storytelling , intro

Teno

Oh yeah, that reminds me. In EU, you only get the EU servers, so no playing with people on US servers.. :(

Haibane

Hairy - you could try WoW. It would be really lovely to see you online. *wink*

Taymynx - thanks! Tons of good info there but... I am the total noob here, 100% noob. All I wanted was to meet Elliquiy members online in an MMO surrounding and have some fun, we do not need to use our 18+ tag to make that mean we will do 18+ stuff, in fact I don't want to, nor anything Elliquiy-facing or affiliated beacuse if we start doing things like creating an Elliquiy clan or guild Vekseid needs to OK it and he just has better things to do with his time. I just want that fun buzz I had back in uni when I used to do Team Fortress and such - with people I knew and liked.

Teno - I wasn't aware of that. If European servers do not allow USA players to connect - and vice-versa - then that answers that question. I expect Blizzard do it to cut down lag issues?

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Haibane on March 05, 2009, 04:16:40 PM
Hairy - you could try WoW. It would be really lovely to see you online. *wink*

I have. Played a Tauren hunter to level 20 on an ex flatmates account some years back. It was ok, but it never really gripped me.

Plus at the moment I don't even have the time for the games I am subscribed to, let alone take on another :)

Quote from: Haibane on March 05, 2009, 04:16:40 PM
Teno - I wasn't aware of that. If European servers do not allow USA players to connect - and vice-versa - then that answers that question. I expect Blizzard do it to cut down lag issues?

Actually I think you can play on the US servers, by getting a US copy of the game (or key thereof). But that would mean you couldn't play on the European servers, as your key would be tied to the US ones.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Xillen

It doesn't really matter from where on the world you log into your account. What matters is from where in the world you're paying for your account. So for Trials this shouldn't be an issue. People from the US that have the US client installed however would require to have 2 copies installed next to each other.

However, timezones themselves are. A reasonable gaming time for EU would be around 20:00 to 00:00 paris time (I mention paris time, since that's what the EU servers run on and display). That would be 14:00 to 18:00 for US eastcoast and 11:00 to 15:00 for US westcoast. Not the most suitable times to play, I'd say.

Haibane

Yes. When I played Team Fortress way back when at uni and was in a clan that had some Dutch, German, Danish, British and US members, we hardly ever had games together as a full unit because by the time us Europeans were calling it a night, the Americans were just getting home from school and logging in. Which is why I suggested a set of timezones local to me because, without wanting to seem anti-social, its a fact of life that groups split by the Great Pond do not work very well.

Skylit

Quote from: Taymynx on March 05, 2009, 03:46:26 PM
I orginally found this place by looking for people who ERP to see if any play WOW and were over 18 (wishing well over). I love the opportunity to provide the fantastic scenery and diverse characters to the ERP game.
I am US - PST though I am online during varying hours. I seem to get to play normal wow with many from Australia and New Zealand on my current server, but you can create up to 50 characters on different realms, so I don't know what type of issue that is.
Wow is $15 per month for ongoing use, which is the cost of 1 movie with popcorn for 2 hours, but Wow is 24/7 for the entire month as you have time. I just don't think this that is an unreasonable investment for adding the visual beauty to ERP as opposed to the pirated servers and don't want to risk my real account to go outside of it. Besides, I have friends employed by Blizz who would be much more understanding of my ERP habit than my theft of their employer habit.
And there is something to be said for ERP with a sugardaddy who can afford participating in my toys.... :P
We could pick a server and set up a guild of E members only, thus knowing that players are both 18 and committed to being discrete on the wow server as far as what is put into open chat...thus not getting us banned.  Besides, then we have the opportunity to go into guild chat and retain privacy within our own when the post warrants.
Let me know.

Honestly, that's basically how I found E too.. ^^;

I just started the RP servers as well and was upset to see that there isn't much RP on them anymore.. :/
I was also fascinated with that idea and tried to search for a few ERP guilds, but sadly they are harder to find than a needle in a haystack. They're too secretive for the most part ever since Blizzard Disbanded a few ERP guilds.

@OP: Est (-5)
I could try to help quest and lvl with you if you'd like ^_^ My time is limited however due to classes and because I'm on other realms as well.. As for the EU realms, I thought they had some shared realms as well? I know a few players who live in Europe and play on my server.
_-~-No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings..-~-_