News:

Main Menu

Doctor Who Junkie!

Started by Usani, September 19, 2012, 08:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Star Safyre

I find Dr. Who a great example of when making-it-up-as-you-go-along (both as a character and the writers) actually works.
My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

Observing Trifles

Quote from: Star Safyre on September 28, 2012, 03:58:59 PM
I find Dr. Who a great example of when making-it-up-as-you-go-along (both as a character and the writers) actually works.

This.

Usually, I like rigid structure in a series for the sake of continuity, but I'm very much in favor of the more relaxed "let's give this a shot and hope it works" pace of Doctor Who. True, it's not hard sci-fi, but then again, I don't think it was meant to be.
|| the hunt ||

my, my, those eyes like fire;
i'm a winged insect, you're a funeral pyre.
come now, bite through these wires;
i'm a waking hell and the gods grow tired.

Sabby

Doesn't have to be hard sci-fi, and I'm not opposed to it's tone. I get it, it wants to be both dark and silly, and as I said, it strikes a good balance. My problem, which I've stated once, and always end up repeating every time I have this discussion with Whoovian's, is not what it's doing but the extreme it takes it to. The key jingling that is the Doctors performance is just so overdone it's become the whole show. I forgive key jingling in places. It can be useful. But this isn't the occasional slight of hand to help a plot resolution through, this is "Key Jingling: The Series, starring Dr Brilliant and his trusty magic wand"

If they'd have toned it down, I'd honestly have no problem with the show. I've watched up to season 5 of the current stuff and it just get's more and more ridiculous with how much they're trying to sneak past me as they jiggle their 12 kilo bag of keys in my face.

Silverfyre

Quote from: Sabby on September 28, 2012, 04:16:49 PM
The key jingling that is the Doctors performance is just so overdone it's become the whole show.

Well, the show is called "Doctor Who" so I think it's fair to say he should be a central, prominent part of the show.   ::)

It's also billed as a family program.  "Key jingling" is often a part of such programming so younger viewers can follow along. 

Sabby

Well, guess it's lost some fans then :P I know I'm not the only one who has these issues, but I doubt it'll even notice us gone.

Star Safyre

I'd also agree that many of the side characters (Mickey especially) do a lot of plainly announcing their motivations and emotions.  Characterization isn't always the most subtle aspect of the show.

I think a lot of the things we can harp about being meh about Dr. Who are fixed (or at least better addressed) in Torchwood.

Except for...

Except for the pterodactyl munching on a scantily-clad cyberwoman.

My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

Sabby

Yeah, I only have my friends recounts of Torchwood, and he despises the hell out of it. Then again, he has my opinions of Dr Who, only taken much more extreme. So I doubt I'd HATE Torchwood... but the idea of a Dr Who spin off trying to be 'srs' does make me kind of scratch my head.

Silverfyre

Maybe watch an episode or two and make a judgment call for yourself?  You might like it.

Callie Del Noire

For Sabby... :D

Monty Python's "Life of Brian" (Stoned to death...)

Consider yourself most smoted.. and no yelling the 'y-word!'

Falanor

Quote from: Sabby on September 27, 2012, 01:30:50 PM
I do get that he keeps people around he can't connect with, and that's about the only legitimate character flaw he has, but the rest just boils down to 'boo hoo, I can't die, I'll get a new face, except when I don't get one, which is when I don't want one. I can die whenever I want to, but immortality is my curse, boo hoo'.

Just to make a minor correction.  He isn't immortal.  After 13 regenerations he dies.  Right now we're on 11.  Though apparently the Doctor might have a hidden regeneration in The Valeyard.
And I think this really comes down to the characters premise. He's a 'pacifist action hero'. And that sounds interesting, but really, it just equates to someone who exists on screen, doing nothing proactive, just waiting for the mystery part of the plot to wind down so the SOLVE EVERYTHING button can fall in his lap and everyone can swoon over him when he presses it.

Actually he's more of a hero stricken with PTSD and a wicked bad case of Survivors Guilt from The Time War for having done some pretty flipping awful things, such as eliminating his entire race from time as well as almost completely eliminating a second race.
It sucks being a Timelord. You're constantly brilliant, you get to do whatever you want, no one ever makes you explain yourself, and you're just brilliant. It's his curse.

Not all the Timelords are brilliant.  The Doctor was one of their best and brightest, so was The Master.

In the end, if you don't enjoy the writing that's done that's fine and up to you.  No need to go about stoning someone for it.

Fairehawke

Yeah! I am just happy to find more whovians. I felt so alone for the longest time. Suddenly in the last couple of months everyone loves dr. Who I found it funny. I remember being made fun of liking scifi and fantasy. Oh dear i dressed up like Martha jones one year for halloween. Nice to know I have Kin here :)

Avis habilis

Quote from: Fairehawke on September 30, 2012, 09:40:19 PM
Suddenly in the last couple of months everyone loves dr. Who

Suddenly? Some of us have been hooked since the Carter administration, madam!

Oniya

Quote from: Avis habilis on October 01, 2012, 08:36:46 AM

I made my scarf in the late 80's, but I was a fan before that.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Avis habilis on October 01, 2012, 08:36:46 AM

Quite so!

Lady Grey

My first doctor was number 10 and I had the biggest crush on him. He is still my favorite. Matt smith is kind of meh and number 9 was rather decent.

Also...I need to make this for the holidays. Weeping Angel tree topper

Avis habilis

You better not pout, you better not cry, & whatever you do, you better not blink!

Moraline

Thanks to this Thread, I decided to give the show a try. I'd seen snippets of the show before but never was really interested. I just didn't see why so many people liked it.

I'd like to officially announce that I am a convert. The show is pure campy old school Sci-fi. It's written in the spirit of old magazines like Weird Tales. I enjoy it's light-hearted fun theme entirely.

I have just started on the Eleventh Doctor(2010) - Matt Smith and he's brilliant.

I'm not sure who does the music for the show either but it's also very good. I would even go so far as to suggest that in many scenes the music is the star of the show.

My personal favorite:
Doctor Who 2010 Prom Music: Track 3

Observing Trifles

Quote from: Avis habilis on October 01, 2012, 12:33:42 PM
You better not pout, you better not cry, & whatever you do, you better not blink!

Just when I thought it was safe this Christmas...

Quote from: Moraline on October 01, 2012, 01:56:47 PM
Thanks to this Thread, I decided to give the show a try. I'd seen snippets of the show before but never was really interested. I just didn't see why so many people liked it.

I'd like to officially announce that I am a convert. The show is pure campy old school Sci-fi. It's written in the spirit of old magazines like Weird Tales. I enjoy it's light-hearted fun theme entirely.

Welcome to the fandom. :-) I'm glad someone mentioned the music from the series, too. Some of it is really standout spectacular.
|| the hunt ||

my, my, those eyes like fire;
i'm a winged insect, you're a funeral pyre.
come now, bite through these wires;
i'm a waking hell and the gods grow tired.

Geeklet

Quote from: Moraline on October 01, 2012, 01:56:47 PM

I'd like to officially announce that I am a convert. The show is pure campy old school Sci-f

Thats pretty much been my experience too. Well, not this thread specifically, but since I first joined the site, I do remember people talking about it in the shoutbox and such. Just watched an episode here or there when nothing else was on, but eventually the more I watched, the more I liked. Now I've got it set on my DVR.

Falanor

Quote from: Oniya on October 01, 2012, 08:46:29 AM
I made my scarf in the late 80's, but I was a fan before that.

No scarf making with me, but I was watching way past my bed time with my father in the early 80s.  Actually my first experience was watching Troughton become Pertwee.

Silverfyre

I've only recently become a convert through the Ninth Doctor on but I have been hunting down the old episodes and movies to watch.  I loved the First Doctor in "The Aztecs" from 1964.  And why is Jamie, the Highlander, becoming one of my favorite companions? I think it's the kilts.

Vergil1989

I don't know how I originally found the Doctor now, I think I vaguely remember stumbling upon the reboot while channel surfing.  Regardless of how, the Ninth Doctor was my first but I liked David Tennant as the Tenth Doctor far more than this Matt Smith fellow, although he is good in his own way lol.  Especially in the episode where every ally and debt people owed him all gather to take over Demon's Run.  That episode was amazing and sad and just all around epic all at the same time.  And sorry for the spoilers that are about to follow with this video I'm putting up.

Doctor Who: Demon's Run When A Good Man Goes to War
Taker of the Oath of the Drake
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=85486.0  Absence and Apology...countdown to doom....so to speak.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=123720.msg5435844#msg5435844  Storyteller Cafe thread.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=186829.0  Solo thread request thread
IMPORTANT UPDATE as of October 6th 2016 in A/A page

Mr Bigglesworth

Quote from: Falanor on October 01, 2012, 08:35:16 PM
No scarf making with me, but I was watching way past my bed time with my father in the early 80s.  Actually my first experience was watching Troughton become Pertwee.

I would stay up all night watching in the 80s; I didn't make a scarf, but I got one pretty close to Tom Baker's.

Sublime

I Absolutely adore Doctor Who. I stumbled across the show on an especially late night, fell in love (9th Dr.) and have never looked back. My friends tell me its cheesy, but I think that that's part of the attraction <3333

Sasquatch421

*raises hand* Haven't watched any of the new ones myself, but I was watching in the '80s as well. Mainly because mom always had to watch, but it was a good thing. Come to think of it I believe it was mom that got me hooked on Day's of our Lives as well....